Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 198 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2956
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
Count me on those who said Brussels was a bad idea. She's playing awful and she hates clay, it didn't make sense at all. If she's winning and confident, of course go for it, an easy draw to take the title. However, the case is quite the contrary, she hasn't won a match on red clay just forget it about. Now time for another loss, just hope she doesn't cling on to three sets.
This is the thing, why overload your clay schedule with as many tournaments as possible while your losing every week. There is no point to this, things won't get much better this way, she could have sneaked a couple of wins somewhere but while she is playing like this it doesn't really mean a lot. If there was any extra tournaments to be playing it should be in Stanford and/or Carlsbad (she isn't currently down for either) after a month or so to work on her game in the build up.

I have this lingering thought in the back of my mind that she is simply willing to play anywhere if the price is right and tournaments like Brussels were desperate for any top 10 player they could get their hands on.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:10 PM   #2957
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
I wish she would withdraw from RG! I don't see the point of playing there!
Me neither. But I didn't see the point of playing Brussels or Rome either. After Madrid when it became clear that she wouldn't do anything whatsoever on clay this year she just should have taken a gamble and forget about the rest of the claycourt tournaments. Start practicing on grass as if your life depends on it (and in a way her tennis life DOES depend on it) while everyone else is dirtballing. If she would have prepared on grass for six or seven weeks while everyone else has only two weeks it would give her a big advantage. Not that she would be a contender for Wimbledon by any stretch of the imagination, but she could with the right draw possibly make the last 16. That's nothing extraordinary perhaps, but it's decent. It's definitely better than losing match after match to opponents who can't remember the last time they won a match.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2958
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Me neither. But I didn't see the point of playing Brussels or Rome either....
. It's definitely better than losing match after match to opponents who can't remember the last time they won a match.
You play Rome because its a Premier 5. I dont see how practicing away from a tournament will miraculously turn things around. If she took this week off she might have gone to watch Rory. Still might do that.
If this is the way she's going to play the rest of her career, a few extra days practicing away from a tournament wont mean much
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2959
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
You play Rome because its a Premier 5. I dont see how practicing away from a tournament will miraculously turn things around. If she took this week off she might have gone to watch Rory. Still might do that.
If this is the way she's going to play the rest of her career, a few extra days practicing away from a tournament wont mean much
Yeah, but I said "start practicing on grass as if your life depends on it," and for six or seven weeks in a row at that. I didn't say, "go watch Rory playing golf."

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2960
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Me neither. But I didn't see the point of playing Brussels or Rome either. After Madrid when it became clear that she wouldn't do anything whatsoever on clay this year she just should have taken a gamble and forget about the rest of the claycourt tournaments. Start practicing on grass as if your life depends on it (and in a way her tennis life DOES depend on it) while everyone else is dirtballing. If she would have prepared on grass for six or seven weeks while everyone else has only two weeks it would give her a big advantage. Not that she would be a contender for Wimbledon by any stretch of the imagination, but she could with the right draw possibly make the last 16. That's nothing extraordinary perhaps, but it's decent. It's definitely better than losing match after match to opponents who can't remember the last time they won a match.
Well she had to play Madrid, that was mandatory. But what you are saying is all in hindsight, everyone thought she could atleast squeek a match in Brussels because of the depleted field. Obviously we were wrong... I honestly think she just needs a month-long break or maybe more, she looks burnt out mentally.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #2961
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
Well she had to play Madrid, that was mandatory. But what you are saying is all in hindsight, everyone thought she could atleast squeek a match in Brussels because of the depleted field. Obviously we were wrong... I honestly think she just needs a month-long break or maybe more, she looks burnt out mentally.
Tell 'em that you have a cold or that you have food poisoning from those oysters you ate yesterday.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2962
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Well,there WAS a measure of poetic justice today in Brussels;of the 5 players who had to double up with a disadvantage in rest vs. their opponents,4 of them won and the fifth,Flipkens,had her 2nd-Round match postponed 'til tomorrow morning.It appears that she and Hampton will play their match at the same time as Vinci and Putintseva,so the winners will have had an equal opportunity to accumulate rest by the time that they meet in the QFs in the afternoon........

........I had to focus on something positive since I couldn't find ANYthing uplifting about Caro's result today......WAIT!!!I just found something: Caroline wasn't struck by lightning and gravely injured while on court during her stellar performance......I knew there was SOMEthing good

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2963
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, but I said "start practicing on grass as if your life depends on it," and for six or seven weeks in a row at that. I didn't say, "go watch Rory playing golf."
I'm sure she works hard in practice. I dont believe she's loafing, just waiting around to lose round 1 then go back to loafing.
Its what she's practicing and with who.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2964
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
........I had to focus on something positive since I couldn't find ANYthing uplifting about Caro's result today......WAIT!!!I just found something: Caroline wasn't struck by lightning and gravely injured while on court during her stellar performance......I knew there was SOMEthing good
The most uplifting thing about that match for me came when Caro smashed her racquet to the ground in disgust because it showed that she cared. If I had been Piotr I would have advised her to try a little gamesmanship. Like, "go over to Zheng and tell her that Mao was a cocksucker" or something. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2965
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The most uplifting thing about that match for me came when Caro smashed her racquet to the ground in disgust because it showed that she cared. If I had been Piotr I would have advised her to try a little gamesmanship. Like, "go over to Zheng and tell her that Mao was a cocksucker" or something. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Burisleif got pretty upset with me when I suggested even more subtle gamesmanship than you just mentioned.Caro's idol,Hingis,might have put her fingers up around her eyes to slant them,while saying,"Hi,me name Zheng an' I pway tennis ten year an' I stee--ow(still)soun' so stoo-pid when I tok Engwish..."

For any Zheng fans who might be reading this,I am NOT endorsing that sort of disrespectful conduct.....and I don't think that Caro could bring herself to that unless--and even then,just maybe--a player issued a nasty insult towards Piotr or blatantly tried to seduce Rory

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2966
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
You play Rome because it's a Premier 5. I don't see how practicing away from a tournament will miraculously turn things around. If she took this week off she might have gone to watch Rory. Still might do that.
You don't have to play Premier 5s. It's not about miraculously turning it round, there is no instant fix, but turning up week after week and losing early is unlikely to be the answer. Any confidence she did have in her game before this clay season has probably been completely sapped out of her, now almost certainly she will be going into the hard court season with no confidence. Of course part of the problem is her team don't seem to know what to actually do anymore, but then that is a problem with your team.

The only chance Caro will probably get to work on her game now will be after Wimbledon, she has to use this time wisely, that means not going on vacation etc., it has to be like a mini off-season.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2967
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Burisleif got pretty upset with me when I suggested even more subtle gamesmanship than you just mentioned.Caro's idol,Hingis,might have put her fingers up around her eyes to slant them,while saying,"Hi,me name Zheng an' I pway tennis ten year an' I stee--ow(still)soun' so stoo-pid when I tok Engwish..."

For any Zheng fans who might be reading this,I am NOT endorsing that sort of disrespectful conduct.....and I don't think that Caro could bring herself to that unless--and even then,just maybe--a player issued a nasty insult towards Piotr or blatantly tried to seduce Rory
Well, Caroline is such a sweetie that doing something like that would upset HER more than her opponent. But as a rule I don't mind a little gamesmanship. I started following tennis when it was more or less accepted as part of the game. Today everyone is so nice that judging by the way players behave you'd never know that it was professional sports. Not that I have a problem with that, but I didn't have a problem with Hingis, Capriati, or even Connors or McEnroe either. The whole of TF explodes at every tiny incident that can hardly be called an incident. They are so desperate for something to happen that they can't resist to make something out of nothing. Everyone pretends to hate that stuff but everyone really loves it. Just look at the whole commotion about Serena and Sloane. Or even that Coco chick vs Putintseva on twitter. Everyone loves a grudge match, whether they are honest enough to admit it or not. Imagine that Serena, Vika and Maria brought out their inner-Jimmy Connors and started talking trash about each other. Ratings for womens tennis would go through the roof, no doubt about it.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2968
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
You don't have to play Premier 5s. It's not about miraculously turning it round, there is no instant fix, but turning up week after week and losing early is unlikely to be the answer. Any confidence she did have in her game before this clay season has probably been completely sapped out of her, now almost certainly she will be going into the hard court season with no confidence. Of course part of the problem is her team don't seem to know what to actually do anymore, but then that is a problem with your team.

The only chance Caro will probably get to work on her game now will be after Wimbledon, she has to use this time wisely, that means not going on vacation etc., it has to be like a mini off-season.
A part of this problem is the people she trusts to help her game. So I dont see more training with them helping Caroline.
She got worse during the offseason. She always said she needs matches.
I dont see a break from matches & training with her current team as a good thing

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #2969
country flag ozza

Gamesmanship, trash talking etc. only tends to go well when you can back it up with actions. Caroline doesn't fit that description right now.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2970
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Gamesmanship, trash talking etc. only tends to go well when you can back it up with actions. Caroline doesn't fit that description right now.
That's true. But I was only joking when I suggested that Caro should try it. Besides, that sorta thing has to fit your personality and in her case it definitely doesn't.

Closed Thread