Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros - Page 108 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1606
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros

Delpo as well? Not that anyone other than novak/rafa/fed has a chance anyway
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1607
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

^Actually I think they can probably just engrave Rafa's name on the trophy already. He's as much of a sure thing as most people on TF think Serena is.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1608
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
^Actually I think they can probably just engrave Rafa's name on the trophy already. He's as much of a sure thing as most people on TF think Serena is.
I agree. I am not so sure about Serena though...Although I best be careful or I might be accused of being a Serena hater
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1609

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Caro just got routined by little Jie

Sam stays at #9
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #1610
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

I went to the practice courts of RG today. Sam was not on the official practice schedule and all major courts were booked. I saw Dave at 6:30 pm, but even with his tennis bag, I think he was only coming for some information. I just saw Sharapova - 2 hours!, Azarenka and JJ.
Note: all the practice courts are officially sealed, so it's not easy to get those information, and obviously watching the players is... well, lets say a challenge . I will go back tomorrow, another day. The weather is really a concern, so Sam shall get there — She has always done that.
B.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1611
country flag sunsets21

sunsets21 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
I went to the practice courts of RG today. Sam was not on the official practice schedule and all major courts were booked. I saw Dave at 6:30 pm, but even with his tennis bag, I think he was only coming for some information. I just saw Sharapova - 2 hours!, Azarenka and JJ.
Note: all the practice courts are officially sealed, so it's not easy to get those information, and obviously watching the players is... well, lets say a challenge . I will go back tomorrow, another day. The weather is really a concern, so Sam shall get there — She has always done that.
B.
Thanks for the report, B
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:54 AM   #1612

Keep up the good work Bertrand
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:13 AM   #1613
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
B.

I want to hear more about this!
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:05 AM   #1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post

I want to hear more about this!
Me too!

I'm only not sure whether our master stalker is prepared to divulge his secrets. What do you say Bertrand?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1615
country flag Sinclair
All about the guns, baby.

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Quote:
Me too!

I'm only not sure whether our master stalker is prepared to divulge his secrets. What do you say Bertrand?
It's good to know that Bert is on his game over there at RG. I'm sure he will continue to provide excellent reports.

I feel better knowing we have a Sam Superfan on the job to give us some accurate intel, but knowing Bert, it's going to be done professionally and respectfully. I doubt he will give up his secrets. I hope he can get some practice footage and pics like last year. That was great.
Sinclair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1616

Just been doing a few quick sums to see what Sam stands to gain or lose at RG in terms of rankings. It's a pretty sobering picture. Her lack of good clay results has robbed her of a big part of her buffer, so she really needs a strong run to avoid getting hit pretty hard.

If, heaven forbid, she were to lose in R1 she would drop straight down to at least #13. The silver lining is that even in that case she'd be desperately unlucky to go any lower than #15, because the current #16 and #17 were defeated by our Sammy in respectively the QF and R4 last year, and so would need to go at least one better than that to have any chance of edging Sam.

If Sam can win at least two or three matches she should end up around #12. If she can reach the QF she would stay in the top 10 unless at least one of the players in the 11-15 range also reaches the QF. Aside from Vinci and maybe Ivanovic, I can't see any of those players doing that, and in any case Ivanovic would need to reach the SF to outrank Sam in that case.

If she can reach the SF she will still need Caro to lose in R1 to avoid dropping back to #10 (this is why I'm developing a grudge against Caro). But if she does get that far it would take an extraordinary run from one of the lower ranked players to push her out of the top 10.

To have any chance of improving her ranking she'd have to win the title. She could go as high as #7 in that case, but that would require Errani and Kvitova to lose before the QF, and Kerber to lose before R3.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1617
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the stats - in some ways they're comforting, because the worst case scenario isn't really so bad. Given the year Sammy has had so far it seemed inevitable that her ranking was going to take a hit at some stage. But she will still be seeded quite high at the USO and Wimbledon regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Caro vs Sam in the rankings reminds me a lot of their match in Moscow - Woz is an annoying little Moz that Sam can't quite swat
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1618
country flag Dazza01

Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Thanks for the stats - in some ways they're comforting, because the worst case scenario isn't really so bad. Given the year Sammy has had so far it seemed inevitable that her ranking was going to take a hit at some stage. But she will still be seeded quite high at the USO and Wimbledon regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Caro vs Sam in the rankings reminds me a lot of their match in Moscow - Woz is an annoying little Moz that Sam can't quite swat

...that match never happened. Even though I do like Caroline, I wanted Sam to win that match so badly.

But I guess the rankings slide is not horrendous. To be honest - for Roland Garros to make me happy - I just want Sam to play well from the start to the end of the tournament, with no major ups and downs. That would be my wish. (But we are talking about Sam; the chances of that happening are very slim.)

Amélie Mauresmo - Samantha Stosur
Dazza01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1619
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
^Meanwhile it's raining top 10 withdrawals in the men's draw. First Murray, now Delpo.

Thanks for the best/worst case scenario too. Since she has been injured and that cut into a large chunk of the season where she had the potential to pick up points, well its not too horrifying.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1620

Yeah, you're right, it could be a lot worse. She's currently #19 in the race, which given her disastrous Aussie season and all the time she's lost to injuries is little short of amazing. Even with a relatively modest result in Paris she wouldn't be completely out of the running for the YEC, although she would almost certainly need to improve her results on grass in that case to keep the gap narrow enough to close during the American HC season.

Speaking of grass, I still haven't seen anything about her plans for the Wimbledon warmup. She already has Stanford, Toronto and Cincinnati listed on her website, but nothing at all between RG and Wimbledon.