Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 185 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2761
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

No news yet...

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2762
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It's not contradictory. I meant those players are dispensable if they never come back to where they were. For example I am sure the WTA would like to see Caroline higher up in the game, but it's not the end of the world if she doesn't, someone else will always come along (see Stephens, Robson etc.). But if the WTA had alienated Sharapova they would now be in a very awkward situation if they were at loggerheads with their world number 2.

There were people who said Sharapova would never get back, as pointed out a few pages ago, people were calling for her to retire. It could be seen as she was underachieving. Without putting a watch on all your players 24/7 how exactly are you to know if someone is loafing around. You can make assumptions, but you don't know it as fact. For all intents and purposes, most people think Caroline works pretty hard, from her fitness level, it appears she works hard. Whether she works on the right thing is another thing entirely though, what do you want the WTA to do? Go in and coach the players, tell them you need to be doing this and that.
Now you're nitpicking a little bit;obviously,discretion and tact would be employed.You don't need to spy on people to have knowledge that certain players refuse to get fitness coaches,and players would be given the benefit of the doubt if there weren't clear,damning evidence...which there certainly IS with players like Ivanovic and Lisicki.

As I said,I didn't see ANY accusations that Masha wasn't trying her best,but I'll humor you and let you play devil's advocate despite the poor example.Let's say that she had an abysmal serve like Caroline's...and a WTA staffer,an ex-player or coach,pulled her aside and politely expressed concern over her struggles,suggesting an experienced,respected service coach.What would Masha do?Say,"Fuck you!How DARE you speak to me about my on-court performance!I'll NEVER do any WTA promos again!" ?I seriously doubt that,as it would only reduce the player's exposure and marketability if she copped such a stubborn,reactive attitude and refused to work with her association.Respectfully recommending such a service coach to Caroline would NOT be crossing the line,IMO.If she went into unreasonable bitch mode in response(which I doubt that she would),then the WTA could basically wish her a nice life and replace her with those up-and-comers you mentioned.

Lastly,I didn't specify this earlier,but these situations wouldn't arise that frequently.Most top players ARE motivated and don't require a kick in the pants.If it were a player who had limited potential,oh well,no big deal........And you can't seriously mean that Marineblue and I are the only tennis fans who are fed up with all of the wasted talent in women's tennis...and the pathetic enabling by the WTA??I give you credit for being far more intelligent than that

.....And I screwed up the time on the invitation and really AM leaving now.I hope you realize that I appreciate your contributions to this forum,but I feel that you're way of base on this one.You make it seem as if it were Orwellian to make sure that star players were giving sincere,honest effort when,in reality,that's what sporting leagues do in MANY respects,as with drug testing,for example

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion

Last edited by bruce goose : May 15th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2763
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
It's a new day and I think I've calmed down somewhat.

Your post makes a lot of sense, actually. I always forget how young she really is. Maybe she should take the rest of the year off and come back, recharged on life, in 2014.
Caro is almost 23 (2 months short of it), which isn't that young in tennis. A tennis player's prime tends to last until their late 20s.

I think Caro taking the rest of the year would be too long. She would lose too much rhythm and it would take some time before she got used to the grind of the tour again. Plus she would be in danger of falling out of seeding for the slams.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2764
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand 'taking time off'. She's not playing a lot of matches. She's one and done every tournament. And she just took a vacation during The Masters week. Do you want her to follow the golf tour all year? How does that help her tennis?
I think she needs to play, and with focus & effort, and win some matches, or at least go down fighting for every point
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2765
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Noone really knows what's best for her. It's all guesswork. Her grass-season 2010 wasn't very good. Lost first round at Eastbourne, was schooled by #62 at Wimbledon winning only 2 games. Practiced for a month and came back for the best time of her career winning Copenhagen, Montreal, New Haven, Tokyo, Beijing (plus a USO SF and a YEC final). And carried her form into 2011.

A month with no tournaments turned out to be very good for her on that occasion, but maybe something else is needed this time. There's no secret formula. Any changes - subtle or big - can turn out to be good for her. Or the opposite! We don't know. Perhaps the best is to continue on her current path. But that's going to take some time and a lot of patience.

I don't think it would have been worse for her career-wise if she hadn't played the last four tournaments. But that's pure speculation. She seems tired. Fed up. Doesn't enjoy it. Was once nicknamed Sunshine; now the sun is giving her troubles.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #2766
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Now you're nitpicking a little bit;obviously,discretion and tact would be employed.You don't need to spy on people to have knowledge that certain players refuse to get fitness coaches,and players would be given the benefit of the doubt if there weren't clear,damning evidence...which there certainly IS with players like Ivanovic and Lisicki.

As I said,I didn't see ANY accusations that Masha wasn't trying her best,but I'll humor you and let you play devil's advocate despite the poor example.Let's say that she had an abysmal serve like Caroline's...and a WTA staffer,an ex-player or coach,pulled her aside and politely expressed concern over her struggles,suggesting an experienced,respected service coach.What would Masha do?Say,"Fuck you!How DARE you speak to me about my on-court performance!I'll NEVER do any WTA promos again!" ?I seriously doubt that,as it would only reduce the player's exposure and marketability if she copped such a stubborn,reactive attitude and refused to work with her association.Respectfully recommending such a service coach to Caroline would NOT be crossing the line,IMO.If she went into unreasonable bitch mode in response(which I doubt that she would),then the WTA could basically wish her a nice life and replace her with those up-and-comers you mentioned.

Lastly,I didn't specify this earlier,but these situations wouldn't arise that frequently.Most top players ARE motivated and don't require a kick in the pants.If it were a player who had limited potential,oh well,no big deal........And you can't seriously mean that Marineblue and I are the only tennis fans who are fed up with all of the wasted talent in women's tennis...and the pathetic enabling by the WTA??I give you credit for being far more intelligent than that

.....And I screwed up the time on the invitation and really AM leaving now.I hope you realize that I appreciate your contributions to this forum,but I feel that you're way of base on this one.You make it seem as if it were Orwellian to make sure that star players were giving sincere,honest effort when,in reality,that's what sporting leagues do in MANY respects,as with drug testing,for example
Maria's serve was truly abysmal in those years. She could barely get her second serve in. What are you going to say her? Make less double faults, work more on your serve, here work with this service coach? That is pretty insulting to that player tbh. You would certainly rub someone the wrong way if you went around like that. It's not like Maria is reliant on the WTA for exposure is it, she has Nike or whoever for that.

If you want anyone to be having a word with Caroline so to speak, it should be Adidas or the like, someone who has a large vested interest in Caroline's performances and future (see Nike's 'pep talk' with Serena Williams several years ago). For me the WTA recommending players to get a serving coach would be way over the line, they are then analysing people's games, weaknesses and trying to help them to fix them. That in no way should be the WTA's job.

Every sport has 'wasted talent' talent so to speak, it's not like this is a WTA-only thing. I like to see players solving their own problems. Caro or her team should be fully aware of her own problems, it's up to her to then find people to help her solve them. If they are not aware of her problems, then she should be seeking a new team anyway.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #2767
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont understand 'taking time off'. She's not playing a lot of matches. She's one and done every tournament. And she just took a vacation during The Masters week. Do you want her to follow the golf tour all year? How does that help her tennis?
I think she needs to play, and with focus & effort, and win some matches, or at least go down fighting for every point
But she's still travelling to these tournaments, practicing on the courts (what and how effectively are a question), and doing press. And if she's a bit mentally fried/burned out, then playing a match could seem like another burden/requirement.

I think a month or so long break could help clear her mind. It would be nice if Caro had someone who could talk some sense into her like Vika did. Vika was thinking about quitting tennis in early 2011 until she talked to her grandma.

No, following the golf tour isn't what I want Caro to do. Also, I think Rory should no longer be present when Caro is playing a tournament. She may play better in his abscence or at least have one less distraction.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2768
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro is almost 23 (2 months short of it), which isn't that young in tennis. A tennis player's prime tends to last until their late 20s.

I think Caro taking the rest of the year would be too long. She would lose too much rhythm and it would take some time before she got used to the grind of the tour again. Plus she would be in danger of falling out of seeding for the slams.
There is one thing I took from angliru's stats on matches played, and that is it demonstrates a previous point that Caro really is quite an old 22 year old. She's not going to be as fresh as some others, she has more miles on her legs (especially at the top level), mentally she's been through a lot more, it all takes its toll.

I also think any time out without actually playing tennis (so taking the rest of the year off) would more likely be the beginning of the end as oppose to a route back to the top. It's not like the areas of her game that need work are going to get better while she's off tour not playing tennis, they would likely get worse. I can see the idea of taking time off until the USO hard court season to work on her game, but the idea of taking the rest of the season off, I can't see being a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I don't think it would have been worse for her career-wise if she hadn't played the last four tournaments. But that's pure speculation. She seems tired. Fed up. Doesn't enjoy it. Was once nicknamed Sunshine; now the sun is giving her troubles.
It could really be as simple as she's losing more. No-one likes losing, it's not like she's going to get much joy out of turning up to these tournaments losing R1 and moving on to next week. She is also probably under more pressure than we realise as well.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2769
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Noone really knows what's best for her. It's all guesswork. Her grass-season 2010 wasn't very good. Lost first round at Eastbourne, was schooled by #62 at Wimbledon winning only 2 games. Practiced for a month and came back for the best time of her career winning Copenhagen, Montreal, New Haven, Tokyo, Beijing (plus a USO SF and a YEC final). And carried her form into 2011.

A month with no tournaments turned out to be very good for her on that occasion, but maybe something else is needed this time. There's no secret formula. Any changes - subtle or big - can turn out to be good for her. Or the opposite! We don't know. Perhaps the best is to continue on her current path. But that's going to take some time and a lot of patience.

She might enjoy being off the tour. Especially if she thinks her best days are over.
Safina was #1, in 3 slam finals, won a Silver medal in singles in Beijing. I never hear her name anymore.
Jankovic and Ivanovic are playing, but they are symbols of frustration, of what could have been, but something went wrong. Thats where Caro is now. Whether she retires or plays, if her days near the top are over, she's also going to be a symbol of young talent that was wasted, or wasnt developed properly.

So its up to her, but there's no way around it, a young superstar who falls into the pack (either stays on tour midpack or retires) is considered a 'what might have been'. But not considered a great success.

Thats one reason I thought changing her game was crazy. They were messing around with something rare, a young superstar. No reason to make changes that could lead to where she is now. And a wild forehand could definately lead to this. Forehand is always what her opponents attacked

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2770
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to do something to get her hunger back. I think a loooong break, not thinking about tennis, would do the trick.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2771
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
You want her to take a vacation where she doesnt practice or stay in shape?
She might never be world class again if she does that. After she ended 2012 with 3 finals in her last 5 tournaments, she trained for 2013 and started losing to Pervak, and had an awful January.

She isnt playing terrible. She led Voegele 3-1 in the 3rd, led this match 4-0 in the 3rd.
She doesnt finish, or like Muguruza, Kuznetsova losses, she started those slowly.

I think a few wins and a soft slam draw and she can be back in a slam QF, even on clay or grass.
But she has to get settled in her style of play and mental focus for the 9 months of hardcourt that are coming after Wimbledon. She's already shown she is excellent on hard court and there's no reason to just give that away and become a mediocre player
Just being in a 3rd set against Voegele or Jovanovski was a bad sign even if she had been able to finish those matches. Neither of them were big threats to the top players as Voegele had 0 top 15 wins prior to Charleston this year and Jovanovski had 2 top 15 wins prior to Rome this year, the last one being in Eastbourne in 2011. They both weren't big threats on clay with Voegele having only 2 top 50 wins on clay prior to Charleston with the highest ranking being #40 and Jovanovski having 1 top 50 win on clay prior to Rome with the highest ranking being #46.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2772
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Just being in a 3rd set against Voegele or Jovanovski was a bad sign even if she had been able to finish those matches. Neither of them were big threats to the top players as Voegele had 0 top 15 wins prior to Charleston this year and Jovanovski had 2 top 15 wins prior to Rome this year, the last one being in Eastbourne in 2011. They both weren't big threats on clay with Voegele having only 2 top 50 wins on clay prior to Charleston with the highest ranking being #40 and Jovanovski having 1 top 50 win on clay prior to Rome with the highest ranking being #46.
I'm trying to be realistic. Its was very difficult to do what she did. Now and going forward she might never have anywhere close to that kind of success again. But she was close to getting to round 2 in Rome. Thats what she has to build from.
The old days are over.

Old May 15th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2773
country flag Protoss

Quote:
There is one thing I took from angliru's stats on matches played, and that is it demonstrates a previous point that Caro really is quite an old 22 year old. She's not going to be as fresh as some others, she has more miles on her legs (especially at the top level), mentally she's been through a lot more, it all takes its toll.

I also think any time out without actually playing tennis (so taking the rest of the year off) would more likely be the beginning of the end as oppose to a route back to the top. It's not like the areas of her game that need work are going to get better while she's off tour not playing tennis, they would likely get worse. I can see the idea of taking time off until the USO hard court season to work on her game, but the idea of taking the rest of the season off, I can't see being a solution.

It could really be as simple as she's losing more. No-one likes losing, it's not like she's going to get much joy out of turning up to these tournaments losing R1 and moving on to next week. She is also probably under more pressure than we realise as well.
Caro is responsible for her heavy scheduling. Although the tour does require players to play certain tournaments, they certainly don't require players to play 22 or more tournaments in a year or anywhere close to that amount.

At a certain point Caro (maybe after the 2010 season) probably should have cut her schedule down to 18 to 20 tournaments in a year.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2774
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She is also probably under more pressure than we realise as well.
She must be under big pressure from her sponsors. Those aren't charitable organizations that give her loads of money out of the kindness of their hearts. They expect something in return in terms of results.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2775
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably more optimistic (and naive?) than most of you, because, thankfully, tennis as a sport is quite forgiving. A tournament title will always outweigh all the losses that preceded that tournament. Caro has lost 4 matches in a row, a streak that could very well be extended to 5 if she enters Brussels, but all is forgotten if she has a great Roland Garros. Likewise, a bad RG will still be outweighed by a good Wimbledon. And so on.

She was in an IW final two months ago. Something like that could happen again. If not the next month, then in the US hardcourt season.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread