Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 184 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2746
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Yes, she's excelled. I wonder what will she do to 'beat' her last year results on grass...
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #2747
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Some of us thought that she could not do any worse on clay than she did last year. Once again Caroline has proven her "critics" wrong.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2748
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Caro put herself in this situation. She has to get herself out of it.
I think her dad and the adidas coaches have done a terrible job. Made her attack with her weakest shot. They're probably still telling her this is part of building up that forehand. But that forehand will never be a consistent weapon, and she has to be consitent to take advantage of what she does best.
And she still has to serve well and play aggressively at times with her backhand.
But she alone is on the court, and she has to fight for these matches. There is way too much crappy play at important moments
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2749
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
You're right that the match summaries are a minor issue,but they are a reflection of the overall piss-ant attitude that exists in the WTA.

Your second paragraph makes no sense,tbh,and contradicts what you've posted previously on a couple occasions.The WTA ALREADY shows bias in how they promote certain players--and pamper them in other ways--and focuses on the stars while giving scant attention to lesser players...which is very logical of them.To blindly ignore problems with such stars is just plain STUPID--and bad for business--and,unfortunately,status quo for the WTA.....Let me take that back;they don't just ignore the problems,they ENCOURAGE them with their assclown quasi-leadership.If an NFL star were caught using coke,the league would be cautious in how often they used him in promos until he had proven rehabilitation to a fair extent.The WTA has no such standards;even players who embarrass the sport are promoted as if they were laudable heroes.

There wouldn't be any fines or suspensions needed for indifferent underachievers;they'd simply be totally replaced in promos by players who DID give a damn and try their best.Establishing such a standard would change the whole subculture of the WTA for the better
There is a difference between biased towards players for promotional work, and actively helping/advising your players on their games. Using certain players for promotional work doesn't help them on court. If you started given people advice on their games, you are trying to help their games thus trying to influence the results of your product, something that I'm sure would not sit well with a lot of people.

The WTA simply cannot be distinguishing who is underachieving, it's not up to them to decide oh Caroline you should be in the top 5, you are not doing enough, we won't advertise using you until you are. Firstly it isn't in their interests to do so (they want to use a popular player like Caro in promotional work), secondly it's not up to them to be deciding who should be where in the rankings, they can't be judging players like this.

Last edited by ozza : May 15th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2750
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Yes, she's excelled. I wonder what will she do to 'beat' her last year results on grass...
She cannot 'beat' them, but maybe she can match them?

PS On reflection. Maybe she can. If she loses in straights to times. As she won a set in Wimbledon, two straight set loses would 'beat' that. Yes?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2751
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

It's important at the next 2 grand slams to at least log some wins. R1 losses at grand slams are a killer on your ranking. If Caro continues her current clay form into Roland Garros, she will have 3 R1 grand slam exits on her ranking .
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2752
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
We don't know, though.

Caro's life probably hasn't been all fun. She's had to make a lot of sacrifices at a very early age, probably praticing 30 hours a week, if not more, besides schools and so on. And I'm sure she's had a pretty stressful life on the pro circuit as well. She was only 17 when she entered her 1st grand slam maindraw, and she's appeared at every grand slam since then. She's stayed at the top all the time (almost 250 consecutive weeks in the top 20!). She's played an impressive amount of tournaments, and an even more impressive amounts of matches, because she always went very far at every tournament.

Maybe (and I'm only guessing), she really needs to focus less on tennis at this part of her life in order to not burnout (like Nicole), and maybe her relationship with Rory allows her to do that (get away from tennis). But again, I admit it's a rather poor and silly attempt into a pshycological explanation from me, because we really don't know.
It's a new day and I think I've calmed down somewhat.

Your post makes a lot of sense, actually. I always forget how young she really is. Maybe she should take the rest of the year off and come back, recharged on life, in 2014.

Last edited by backhandsmash : May 15th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2753
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite remarkable how much she's achieved at such a young age. This table by KleineBiere also proves that she's played a lot more than anyone else at such an early age (selected active players):

I think we should be glad that she's managed to play as much as she has while basically being injury free. She's had injurys, but not serious back or shoulder problems, knee injuries or stress fractures. Perhaps some time off really would help her? But I'm quite confident she'll get back one way or another.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2754
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

You want her to take a vacation where she doesnt practice or stay in shape?
She might never be world class again if she does that. After she ended 2012 with 3 finals in her last 5 tournaments, she trained for 2013 and started losing to Pervak, and had an awful January.

She isnt playing terrible. She led Voegele 3-1 in the 3rd, led this match 4-0 in the 3rd.
She doesnt finish, or like Muguruza, Kuznetsova losses, she started those slowly.

I think a few wins and a soft slam draw and she can be back in a slam QF, even on clay or grass.
But she has to get settled in her style of play and mental focus for the 9 months of hardcourt that are coming after Wimbledon. She's already shown she is excellent on hard court and there's no reason to just give that away and become a mediocre player

Old May 15th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2755
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
There is a difference between biased towards players for promotional work, and actively helping/advising your players on their games. Using certain players for promotional work doesn't help them on court. If you started given people advice on their games, you are trying to help their games thus trying to influence the results of your product, something that I'm sure would not sit well with a lot of people.

The WTA simply cannot be distinguishing who is underachieving, it's not up to them to decide oh Caroline you should be in the top 5, you are not doing enough, we won't advertise using you until you are. Firstly it isn't in their interests to do so (they want to use a popular player like Caro in promotional work), secondly it's not up to them to be deciding who should be where in the rankings, they can't be judging players like this.
Well,I think that you're TOTALLY off base here;seeing underachieving players reach their potential would sit very,VERY well with fans of the sport.Once again,you're limiting your perspective for fear of making subjective judgments.We CONSTANTLY make them in life,and it really wouldn't be that hard to break down--for knowledgeable insiders,ex-players and current coaches--who was underachieving from lack of effort and who was sincerely trying.

It is ABSOLUTELY in the WTA's best interests to do this,and I can't believe that you fail to grasp this.Is it better to kiss Caroline's ass for a few months until she completely flushes her career down the toilet...or motivate her to remain a marketable asset for the next five years??That's an EASY choice.When a highly-talented employee has a cocaine-addiction problem,corporations don't ignore it to placate the employee,they send him/her to rehab to give him/her a chance to get his/her shit together.Pretty faces are EASILY replaceable;just look how the WTA began promoting Caro more and Ana less when the Serb turned into a joke.If the WTA made it abundantly clear that they wouldn't pamper slackers,then talented Juniors would understand,from their first forays into the WTA,that this was a REAL JOB and not some carefree party for rich,spoiled divas.Establishing such a standard would encourage young gals to focus on their mental games and training just to keep pace with the motivated players

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2756
country flag ozza

Quote:
Well,I think that you're TOTALLY off base here;seeing underachieving players reach their potential would sit very,VERY well with fans of the sport.Once again,you're limiting your perspective for fear of making subjective judgments.We CONSTANTLY make them in life,and it really wouldn't be that hard to break down--for knowledgeable insiders,ex-players and current coaches--who was underachieving from lack of effort and who was sincerely trying.

It is ABSOLUTELY in the WTA's best interests to do this,and I can't believe that you fail to grasp this.Is it better to kiss Caroline's ass for a few months until she completely flushes her career down the toilet...or motivate her to remain a marketable asset for the next five years??That's an EASY choice.When a highly-talented employee has a cocaine-addiction problem,corporations don't ignore it to placate the employee,they send him/her to rehab to give him/her a chance to get his/her shit together.Pretty faces are EASILY replaceable;just look how the WTA began promoting Caro more and Ana less when the Serb turned into a joke.If the WTA made it abundantly clear that they wouldn't pamper slackers,then talented Juniors would understand,from their first forays into the WTA,that this was a REAL JOB and not some carefree party for rich,spoiled divas.Establishing such a standard would encourage young gals to focus on their mental games and training just to keep pace with the motivated players
I am not sure it really would. In many people's eyes it is up to the player to sort their own careers out, not rely on the WTA telling them they are underachieving, sort it out or we will take such and such privilege away. There is also another side to this, due to it's subjectivity you would occasionally be wrong. Lets say (I'll use this as someone brought it up a few pages ago) they went to Sharapova a few years ago and criticised her, telling her you are underachieving. You would fall out with many players if you operated like this, Sharapova could turn around now and say you know what I won't be in your 40-love campaign. The WTA doesn't want to feud with its own players, it wants to keep everyone happy.

You also kind of overstate Caroline's importance. I know I have said they invested a lot in building Caro as the next big superstar, but she's not indispensable. Someone else will always come along to fill that void in the WTA's eyes. It's not like they need Caroline to be at the top of the game for them to be successful. The WTA will be around for longer than any one player will.

Everywhere there are some people who maximise their potential, others who don't. Some people work hard, others not so hard.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2757
country flag goldenlox

I think the WTA saw Caroline as a future superstar. You couldnt find anyone more consistent. But her career arc shows why they cant go overboard on anyone.
Caroline now is in career crisis. Career chaos. She chokes away winnable early round matches, looks confused with no confidence. Looks like just another player in the draw.
Its too bad the WTA couldnt get her some good coaching. She's desperately in need of that

Old May 15th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2758
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I am not sure it really would. In many people's eyes it is up to the player to sort their own careers out, not rely on the WTA telling them they are underachieving, sort it out or we will take such and such privilege away. There is also another side to this, due to it's subjectivity you would occasionally be wrong. Lets say (I'll use this as someone brought it up a few pages ago) they went to Sharapova a few years ago and criticised her, telling her you are underachieving. You would fall out with many players if you operated like this, Sharapova could turn around now and say you know what I won't be in your 40-love campaign. The WTA doesn't want to feud with its own players, it wants to keep everyone happy.

You also kind of overstate Caroline's importance. I know I have said they invested a lot in building Caro as the next big superstar, but she's not indispensable. Someone else will always come along to fill that void in the WTA's eyes. It's not like they need Caroline to be at the top of the game for them to be successful. The WTA will be around for longer than any one player will.

Everywhere there are some people who maximise their potential, others who don't. Some people work hard, others not so hard.
You expressed yourself better in this post,but you contradicted yourself greatly,too.On the one hand,you claim that it would be very harmful to alienate players then,in the next paragraph,you admit one of my key points--that those players aren't irreplaceable.Your Masha example is quite poor,too;I don't recall ANYone accusing Maria of loafing during her struggles.It was crystal clear that she was merely adjusting to the changes in her game.

Keep in mind,I'm not pushing for all players to have Serena-like intensity;as we both know,that's impossible.However,I wouldn't say that Vinci had Serena's level of determination,yet she is a professional who almost always shows up to work and doesn't cheat the fans out of their ticket payments...and that basic,professional attitude is something that CAN be enforced: Either get your shit together(whether it be Caro or anyone else),or we'll replace you in our promos with someone who gives a damn....not too difficult.AYE would appreciate it...it looks like poster Marineblue would appreciate it,based on his/her post from the previous page...and LOTS of hardworking men and women would appreciate the WTA's newfound commitment to excellence

.....And NOW I'm going to have a roast beef feast,so seeya later!(lol)

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2759
country flag ozza

Quote:
You expressed yourself better in this post,but you contradicted yourself greatly,too.On the one hand,you claim that it would be very harmful to alienate players then,in the next paragraph,you admit one of my key points--that those players aren't irreplaceable.Your Masha example is quite poor,too;I don't recall ANYone accusing Maria of loafing during her struggles.It was crystal clear that she was merely adjusting to the changes in her game.

Keep in mind,I'm not pushing for all players to have Serena-like intensity;as we both know,that's impossible.However,I wouldn't say that Vinci had Serena's level of determination,yet she is a professional who almost always shows up to work and doesn't cheat the fans out of their ticket payments...and that basic,professional attitude is something that CAN be enforced: Either get your shit together(whether it be Caro or anyone else),or we'll replace you in our promos with someone who gives a damn....not too difficult.AYE would appreciate it...it looks like poster Marineblue would appreciate it,based on his/her post from the previous page...and LOTS of hardworking men and women would appreciate the WTA's newfound commitment to excellence

.....And NOW I'm going to have a roast beef feast,so seeya later!(lol)
It's not contradictory. I meant those players are dispensable if they never come back to where they were. For example I am sure the WTA would like to see Caroline higher up in the game, but it's not the end of the world if she doesn't, someone else will always come along (see Stephens, Robson etc.). But if the WTA had alienated Sharapova they would now be in a very awkward situation if they were at loggerheads with their world number 2.

There were people who said Sharapova would never get back, as pointed out a few pages ago, people were calling for her to retire. It could be seen as she was underachieving. Without putting a watch on all your players 24/7 how exactly are you to know if someone is loafing around. You can make assumptions, but you don't know it as fact. For all intents and purposes, most people think Caroline works pretty hard, from her fitness level, it appears she works hard. Whether she works on the right thing is another thing entirely though, what do you want the WTA to do? Go in and coach the players, tell them you need to be doing this and that.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #2760
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Have there been any news yets on if she gotta a wildcard into Brussell

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread