Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #61
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,116
Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc-spurs View Post
You know shits bad when Chrissie fan puts it like this
Yeah, I know that I sound a bit harsh, especially for a fan. But that's only because I love that girl and want her to do well.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki
You'll Never Walk Alone When You Have a Friend Like Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Simona Halep, Aga Radwanska

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #62
country flag Abuttons
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 811
Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuttons View Post
Watch Serena having troubles beating Laura Robson tonight.....or not?
Wrong prediction....damn....
Abuttons is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #63
country flag Mexicola
Senior Member
 
Mexicola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,564
Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

We've already seen flopping from Ivanovic and Radwanska. Kvitova struggles again to a 3-set win. I have no faith in the rest of the top 20 to do anything to challenge Serena. It's continually going to be in the hands of Maria and Vika to play her in semis and finals. But with their combined 4-24 record against her, I wouldn't exactly be putting money on either right now.

I always hear the commentators talk about the great depth of the women's tour. Maybe that's true about the second and third tier. The players ranked between 20-40 are probably more talented than in previous generations. But I believe this tour is extremely thin and bereft of true championship talent near the top. The top 10-15 as a whole just aren't getting it done and that's why we see a 31-year-old dominate in ways never seen before.

You would never see Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, or even a Dementieva all in their primes let this happen. They had losing records against Serena, but they beat her many times and didn't get intimidated. Hingis and Henin beat her 6 times, Capriati beat her 7 times. Even weak-serving Elena beat her 5 times.

So little mental-toughness and self-belief on tour these days. It would be so boring and sad if Serena rampages easily through Rome and Roland Garros and Wimbledon.....etc. Where does it end?
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #64
country flag Fighterpova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,390
Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
We've already seen flopping from Ivanovic and Radwanska. Kvitova struggles again to a 3-set win. I have no faith in the rest of the top 20 to do anything to challenge Serena. It's continually going to be in the hands of Maria and Vika to play her in semis and finals. But with their combined 4-24 record against her, I wouldn't exactly be putting money on either right now.

I always hear the commentators talk about the great depth of the women's tour. Maybe that's true about the second and third tier. The players ranked between 20-40 are probably more talented than in previous generations. But I believe this tour is extremely thin and bereft of true championship talent near the top. The top 10-15 as a whole just aren't getting it done and that's why we see a 31-year-old dominate in ways never seen before.

You would never see Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, or even a Dementieva all in their primes let this happen. They had losing records against Serena, but they beat her many times and didn't get intimidated. Hingis and Henin beat her 6 times, Capriati beat her 7 times. Even weak-serving Elena beat her 5 times.

So little mental-toughness and self-belief on tour these days. It would be so boring and sad if Serena rampages easily through Rome and Roland Garros and Wimbledon.....etc. Where does it end?
Probably in Rome or FO. I know many of you will disagree with this, but Serena has been so unlucky in her career. Don't get me wrong, 15 Slams is amazing, but she missed years and years because of injuries. She struggled sometimes with coming back. lack of confidence, motivation, etc. She finds her old form back only to get re-injured and lose at a Slam. Even after all the injuries she has not lost the desire she had when she was 19/20. That speaks volumes about her.

If she had stayed healthy throughout her career she would have probably reached or eclipsed Graf by now. However, in a way injuries made her career longer and after everything she stands as the sole one (plus Venus) remaining from the old generation.

But yeah, I think she will be unlucky at the FO again. Luck has never really been on her side, she's always had to EARN her wins and have fluke wins (like Kim when she came back in the weakest era of womens tennis with Woz and Zvonareva as the top 2 ). In that way, she reminds me of Maria. Maria also hasn't had anything handed on a plate to her. She has survived injuries, slumps, humiliation, but has never let that break her down which shows what a great champion she is. Today's players don't have quality and often a single match or tournament ruins their entire career.
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #65
country flag Fighterpova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,390
Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Hagatha Blondewanska got routined by Simugna Help

She has been pretty average this season. Well to tell the truth, all of her results since she came back to the top 10 in late 2011 have been average. It's Wimbledon that really helped her ranking tons. She's had average results in Slams since she returned to the top 10: R2/QF/R2/F/R4/QF She played 22 tournaments in 2012 Obviously she had deep runs in the QF/SF, but she was so unimpressive against Top 10 players.

Now it looks like she has physically burnt herself and it has been looking that way since Wimbledon. I think she took that loss pretty well, but her body became tired and she isn't as motivated as before.

The sooner she leaves the Top 4, the better.
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #66
country flag jameshazza
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 11,654
jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Excited for this, to what extent is Mugaruza worth her hype?. It's just a bit shit that this year's clay season clashes badly with my exam schedule. Grateful that it will occupy me during those horrendous two weeks between RG and Wimbledon though (or maybe it only seemed so bad last year due to an RG hangover, and all the top players flopped in the first couple of rounds at the warm-ups)
__________________
Yuryevna,
Always
jameshazza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #67
country flag #1SteffiGraf#1
Senior Member
 
#1SteffiGraf#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,579
#1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Probably in Rome or FO. I know many of you will disagree with this, but Serena has been so unlucky in her career. Don't get me wrong, 15 Slams is amazing, but she missed years and years because of injuries. She struggled sometimes with coming back. lack of confidence, motivation, etc. She finds her old form back only to get re-injured and lose at a Slam. Even after all the injuries she has not lost the desire she had when she was 19/20. That speaks volumes about her.

If she had stayed healthy throughout her career she would have probably reached or eclipsed Graf by now. However, in a way injuries made her career longer and after everything she stands as the sole one (plus Venus) remaining from the old generation.

But yeah, I think she will be unlucky at the FO again. Luck has never really been on her side, she's always had to EARN her wins and have fluke wins (like Kim when she came back in the weakest era of womens tennis with Woz and Zvonareva as the top 2 ). In that way, she reminds me of Maria. Maria also hasn't had anything handed on a plate to her. She has survived injuries, slumps, humiliation, but has never let that break her down which shows what a great champion she is. Today's players don't have quality and often a single match or tournament ruins their entire career.

I agree about the mental instability of a lot of the top players. It doesn't help that they call the coaches every chance they get. It would be nice to see them figure it out on their own, but I guess they aren't capable of it.
__________________
Melanie Oudin Fan est. July '09
------------------------------------------------------------
Steffi Fan est. 1997
------------------------------------------------------------
Hingis Fan est. 1996
------------------------------------------------------------
Pova Fan est. 2009
------------------------------------------------------------
#1SteffiGraf#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #68
country flag Trih
Senior Member
 
Trih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,038
Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
We've already seen flopping from Ivanovic and Radwanska. Kvitova struggles again to a 3-set win. I have no faith in the rest of the top 20 to do anything to challenge Serena. It's continually going to be in the hands of Maria and Vika to play her in semis and finals. But with their combined 4-24 record against her, I wouldn't exactly be putting money on either right now.

I always hear the commentators talk about the great depth of the women's tour. Maybe that's true about the second and third tier. The players ranked between 20-40 are probably more talented than in previous generations. But I believe this tour is extremely thin and bereft of true championship talent near the top. The top 10-15 as a whole just aren't getting it done and that's why we see a 31-year-old dominate in ways never seen before.

You would never see Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, or even a Dementieva all in their primes let this happen. They had losing records against Serena, but they beat her many times and didn't get intimidated. Hingis and Henin beat her 6 times, Capriati beat her 7 times. Even weak-serving Elena beat her 5 times.

So little mental-toughness and self-belief on tour these days. It would be so boring and sad if Serena rampages easily through Rome and Roland Garros and Wimbledon.....etc. Where does it end?
They're all happy and excited because they only remember the years past when Caro was #1 and Zvonareva #2 (I'm sorry to say it but it's true.. they have been good, but not so good to be above anyone else...) and now that we have Maria and Serena it feels so better. But the rest of the top 10 used to be, like you say, Henin Clijsters, Davenport, Mauresmo ... the top 2 now are the only 2 left from that period, all the rest of the top 10 is so much worse than it used to be. That's why we always end up having Masha to face Serena in the finals, it's all that can happen when you think that Petra or Ana or Aga could randomly flop any day to Halep or Ula...
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #69
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,116
Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trih View Post
They're all happy and excited because they only remember the years past when Caro was #1 and Zvonareva #2 (I'm sorry to say it but it's true.. they have been good, but not so good to be above anyone else...) and now that we have Maria and Serena it feels so better. But the rest of the top 10 used to be, like you say, Henin Clijsters, Davenport, Mauresmo ... the top 2 now are the only 2 left from that period, all the rest of the top 10 is so much worse than it used to be. That's why we always end up having Masha to face Serena in the finals, it's all that can happen when you think that Petra or Ana or Aga could randomly flop any day to Halep or Ula...
Yes, but if we have to wait for another time like the first half of the 2000's when we had players like Serena, Venus, Hingis, Seles, Capriati, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters and Mauresmo in the top 10 - all of them slam champions, all of them #1's at some point and all of them capable of beating each other we're going have to wait for a very, very long time I think. No other era can compete with that because most of them were all time greats and those that weren't but came close would have been if they had been born in another era. But I think that womens tennis at the moment is in a pretty good place. It's not as unstable as it was during the Wozniacki years. You now have three payers who are clearly a step ahead of everyone else and below them you have a couple of players (Li and Kvitova especially) who have a realistic chance of beating them occasionally. That's not so much different from the ATP where you have four guys at the top and directly below them the likes of a delPotro, Tsonga and Berdych. Of course the domination of Serena is perhaps at the moment a bit too much to regard the big three as three equals. But you had the same situation on the mens side in 2011 when Djokovic was dominating or in several years before that when Federer was wiping the floor with everyone else. So, is the situation in the womens game ideal at this point? Probably not, but it's pretty good I think.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki
You'll Never Walk Alone When You Have a Friend Like Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Simona Halep, Aga Radwanska

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #70
country flag Joelina
Senior Member
 
Joelina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Prague
Posts: 4,017
Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

it is such a pity, Petra can't get her head and game together, because for me she is the biggest younger talent out there and i still think that her peak game with those crazy shots, angles and serve would give her a wins against Serena, i would be happier if Petra would dominate the tour rather than Serena, because Petra is such a nice person and doesn't have that arrogant attitude, but maybe that is the problem, that she is so nice, because i don't see Maria to dominate current Serena, only when Serena will retire
__________________
Maria Sharapova

Kvitova, Jankovic, Cepelova, Hantuchova, Ivanovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #71
country flag Trih
Senior Member
 
Trih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,038
Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Yes, but if we have to wait for another time like the first half of the 2000's when we had players like Serena, Venus, Hingis, Seles, Capriati, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters and Mauresmo in the top 10 - all of them slam champions, all of them #1's at some point and all of them capable of beating each other we're going have to wait for a very, very long time I think. No other era can compete with that because most of them were all time greats and those that weren't but came close would have been if they had been born in another era. But I think that womens tennis at the moment is in a pretty good place. It's not as unstable as it was during the Wozniacki years. You now have three payers who are clearly a step ahead of everyone else and below them you have a couple of players (Li and Kvitova especially) who have a realistic chance of beating them occasionally. That's not so much different from the ATP where you have four guys at the top and directly below them the likes of a delPotro, Tsonga and Berdych. Of course the domination of Serena is perhaps at the moment a bit too much to regard the big three as three equals. But you had the same situation on the mens side in 2011 when Djokovic was dominating or in several years before that when Federer was wiping the floor with everyone else. So, is the situation in the womens game ideal at this point? Probably not, but it's pretty good I think.
I agree, maybe it didn't come out in the best way from my post, but I meant also this.
The 2000's were so good that I think us tennis fans have been spoiled by it. Every time I see Pavs with Martina I think that if she took a raquet and get into the MD of RG she would reach QF without problems
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #72
country flag Pova fan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 74
Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light Pova fan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Wonder why Hoggy is watching Li Na's match at the moment
Pova fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #73
country flag Tennispower
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 48
Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
We've already seen flopping from Ivanovic and Radwanska. Kvitova struggles again to a 3-set win. I have no faith in the rest of the top 20 to do anything to challenge Serena. It's continually going to be in the hands of Maria and Vika to play her in semis and finals. But with their combined 4-24 record against her, I wouldn't exactly be putting money on either right now.

I always hear the commentators talk about the great depth of the women's tour. Maybe that's true about the second and third tier. The players ranked between 20-40 are probably more talented than in previous generations. But I believe this tour is extremely thin and bereft of true championship talent near the top. The top 10-15 as a whole just aren't getting it done and that's why we see a 31-year-old dominate in ways never seen before.

You would never see Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, or even a Dementieva all in their primes let this happen. They had losing records against Serena, but they beat her many times and didn't get intimidated. Hingis and Henin beat her 6 times, Capriati beat her 7 times. Even weak-serving Elena beat her 5 times.

So little mental-toughness and self-belief on tour these days. It would be so boring and sad if Serena rampages easily through Rome and Roland Garros and Wimbledon.....etc. Where does it end?
This is happening to be the best time for Serena in her entire career. With Venus completely doomed, no current WTA player is a remote threat to her.Serena routines Maria on every surface(Annoying but true), Vika can somehow give some kind of resistance to Serena on hard court, not sure of Clay as they haven't met yet this year on this surface but IMO almost no way she can beat her and has no chance whatsoever on Grass. Kvitova can overpower Serena provided she can keep ball in the court This reminds me of Steffi's dominance in Tennis till Seles arrival.

Last edited by Tennispower : May 15th, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Tennispower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #74
country flag Tennispower
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 48
Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pova fan View Post
Wonder why Hoggy is watching Li Na's match at the moment
May be Li realized her mistake and called him back to join her team
Tennispower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #75
country flag Fiercepova
4ever ♥ Wonder Girls
 
Fiercepova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 3,955
Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Murray's match has finished. Maria will be on court soon.

Why is the atmosphere here so boring and quiet compared to the Madrid thread
__________________
Fiercepova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios