Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 182 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2716
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
Yes, I guess we won't ever really know what's happening, though something should leak from Polish/Danish media.

Yes, I'm talking about taking a break to work on her game, especially mentally. Skip the clay season and come back when she's really ready to play the tennis she knows how to play, steady and aggressive when needed, on her favourite surface in full form and focus. However, at this moment I don't think her priorities are right. I think she wants to win but not half as badly as before. Right now she's just like a zombie, walking around with no purpose in her game, which quite frankly is unbearable to watch. I still have nightmares about that Kanepi match in RG last year.
That Kanepi match was nothing compared to what we get treated to now . I think this idea could work, but I don't know I just don't see Caroline doing it. For it to be a viable idea the first thing she has to is admit a crisis, it's a serious commitment skipping 2 of the years grand slams, you've got to be dedicated to working on something, there would be no point if it would just be another off-season like hers was this year. I imagine a number of people would like to see her do this under a new coaching team as well. The chances of this happening seem very minimal though. There is a number of reasons I don't see it happening; you'd have be all about yourself to do this, I am not sure I see Caro just giving up on tournaments like that, sponsors (especially Adidas) will obviously be very unhappy with such an idea and you'd have to adopt a thick skinned "it's all about me" approach. There also appears too much confusion in the camp imo for this to happen, you need to have a clear path forward for this to work. (Just to make it clear I am not really for or against such an idea. I can see the pro's of such an idea, but I also think a number of things would have to be in in place for it to work which makes me indifferent on the idea).
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2717
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I agree I like too see her get back up there in the ranking and start doing well in the slam, but she not going do it with this slump she in something gotta change this year, I still hoping she can make a decent run at RG even through her Clay season has been Awful.

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2718
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoose View Post
not sure why some people think playing in Brussels will lead to "few more wins."

Caro will most likely face players like Bojo, CSN and players of that calibre and ranking.
I agree that very true I just thought playing Brussels be good because she don't have no clay win yet but still I think she need too make Improvement in her game the most

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2719
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
not sure why some people think playing in Brussels will lead to "few more wins."

Caro will most likely face players like Bojo, CSN and players of that calibre and ranking.
I think she can beat those players. Not if she serves poorly and makes a lot of forehand errors. But if she plays well the whole match, those players are very beatable
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #2720
country flag cosmoose

cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I think she can beat those players. Not if she serves poorly and makes a lot of forehand errors. But if she plays well the whole match, those players are very beatable
Of course she can beat those kind of players.
But at the moment, she is losing to "international" level players at Premier events.
Why would the results change if she is facing the "international" level players at International events?
I just don't think simple change of venue will make wins easier to come by.

Right now, Caro is a "wounded" elite player that everyone ranked below her can't wait to play so they can collect their "top 10 win"

Check out Stefanie Vögele's facebook fanpage!
cosmoose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2721
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think it is a good idea because it will give her one last chance to get a win (maybe some wins) before Roland Garros. Going in to a slam with no wins on that surface is not ideal and, really, what harm can one more opening match loss do? Realistically she may lose early again but the benefits (getting some wins/confidence heading in to a major) are worth the risk.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2722
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course she can beat those kind of players.
But at the moment, she is losing to "international" level players at Premier events.
Why would the results change if she is facing the "international" level players at International events?
I just don't think simple change of venue will make wins easier to come by.

Right now, Caro is a "wounded" elite player that everyone ranked below her can't wait to play so they can collect their "top 10 win"
That's why I think it would be a good idea for her to skip the rest of the claycourt swing (including the FO) and start practicing like a woman possessed on grass. Grass is not exactly her forté either, but you never know. With the right draw she might survive a few rounds at Wimbledon. It wouldn't be much for a former #1, but it would be a start. She may as well take a gamble because I don't think she's going to get anything out of the claycourt season. Playing more and losing more to non-entities on that surface will only undermine her already frail confidence even more.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #2723
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

But are the benefits of a couple of wins really as beneficial as we believe. After all Indian Wells should have been a massive boost to her confidence, especially on the back of Doha and Dubai. Since then Caro has won 2 matches and lost 5 matches. She looks to have gained no confidence whatsoever from Indian Wells, and if anything the Sharapova beat down may have set her back further.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #2724
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Okay,the WTA p.r. department is a Bullshit Express Train that makes NO STOPS and continues running w/o end.Instead of featuring CSN's continued clay-court form,Vinci's comeback win in front of the home fans,or young Stephens' win over Italian fave Flavia,they chose to pretend that Jovanovski played some awesome tennis to beat one of the sport's elite(as the match summary headline).Any straightshooting blue-collar worker would ask him/herself,"Who in the hell are these pathetic assclowns?And why should I watch ANY sport that insults my intelligence with such absurd propaganda crap?" Just to clarify,the CORRECT way to treat this 'amazing upset' would be to summarize it as an uneventful,ho-hum result--as ANY non-inbred tennis fan knows that this was,given Caro's current horrible form.An honest report would be,"...and Bojana Jovanovski defeated #10 seed Caroline Wozniacki(insert score here)..."---NOTHING more than that!If Bojana truly HAD displayed some compelling tennis to complete a comeback against a reasonably in-form seeded player,then THAT would be different.

What does any of this have to do with Caro's welfare??Well,many of you have mentioned Adidas' worries over Caro's results,and why shouldn't the WTA have a similar,long-term view??It's true that they can't FORCE her to care or give her the intensity of a driven,elite player,but there's no reason why they can't at least politely TALK with talented,underachieving players.Essentially,they could have some ex-player on staff--someone she couldn't bullshit--have a chat with Caro(or any similar player),expressing concern over her HUGE loss of form and apparent disinterest.If she offered some sort of halfway-plausible explanation,perhaps a pledge to find a new coach with an impressive resume' if she didn't improve by RG's end,then the WTA staffer could pledge continued support in whatever means possible.If she basically gave a snotty,bitchy reply that it was HER life and none of their business how she played,then they could respond,by their actions,'Well,fuck YOU,too!',making her a USSR-style non-person who got ZERO photo exposure aside from whatever the independent media provided.

There a couple things that barely exist,or don't exist AT ALL,in the WTA,and they include: Integrity;an atmosphere that encourages professionalism;and sincere respect for intellignt,hard-working,ticket-paying fans.Most of all,the 'A' in WTA most DEFINITELY doesn't stand for Accountability.I haven't seen any other sport with such colossal waste of talent where the so-called leaders just sit around either masturbating or plugging their thumbs up their asses.Not only do they not do jack shit to stop the wasted potential that would've greatly raised the quality of the on-court product,they actually ENCOURAGE the worst slackers by pretending that there's nothing wrong with their abysmal performances.I wish that Roger Goodell,Peter Ueberroth or the late Bart Giammatti--seance,anyone?--knew something about tennis;we'd see a MUCH healthier sport if one of them were running things

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2725
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
That's why I think it would be a good idea for her to skip the rest of the claycourt swing (including the FO) and start practicing like a woman possessed on grass. Grass is not exactly her forté either, but you never know. With the right draw she might survive a few rounds at Wimbledon. It wouldn't be much for a former #1, but it would be a start. She may as well take a gamble because I don't think she's going to get anything out of the claycourt season. Playing more and losing more to non-entities on that surface will only undermine her already frail confidence even more.
This is linked to another of my concerns about this. Right now it's looking a reasonable chance Caro comes out of the clay season with zero match wins. She is then going to Eastbourne and Wimbledon where last year she logged zero match wins. I worry about the knock on effect this could have on her confidence come the USO hard court season.

Last edited by ozza : May 14th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2726
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
But are the benefits of a couple of wins really as beneficial as we believe. After all Indian Wells should have been a massive boost to her confidence, especially on the back of Doha and Dubai. Since then Caro has won 2 matches and lost 5 matches. She looks to have gained no confidence whatsoever from Indian Wells, and if anything the Sharapova beat down may have set her back further.
I saw how backwards she went during the offseason, so I'd rather she played right before a major.
And if she doesnt take every major very seriously, then we're all wasting our time.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2727
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is linked to another of my concerns about this. Right now it's looking a reasonable chance Caro comes out of the clay season with zero match wins. She is then going on to a surface where last year she logged zero match wins. I worry about the knock on effect this could have on her confidence come the USO hard court season.
Caro won 2 matches last year on grass at the Olympics and was in one of the best matches of the year at Wimbledon.

I think a change of surface could be good for Caro. She has a chance for a bit of a mental reset with the different surface being a fresh start of sorts. Plus she likes hard court and grass better than she does clay.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #2728
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Okay,the WTA p.r. department is a Bullshit Express Train that makes NO STOPS and continues running w/o end.Instead of featuring CSN's continued clay-court form,Vinci's comeback win in front of the home fans,or young Stephens' win over Italian fave Flavia,they chose to pretend that Jovanovski played some awesome tennis to beat one of the sport's elite(as the match summary headline).Any straightshooting blue-collar worker would ask him/herself,"Who in the hell are these pathetic assclowns?And why should I watch ANY sport that insults my intelligence with such absurd propaganda crap?" Just to clarify,the CORRECT way to treat this 'amazing upset' would be to summarize it as an uneventful,ho-hum result--as ANY non-inbred tennis fan knows that this was,given Caro's current horrible form.An honest report would be,"...and Bojana Jovanovski defeated #10 seed Caroline Wozniacki(insert score here)..."---NOTHING more than that!If Bojana truly HAD displayed some compelling tennis to complete a comeback against a reasonably in-form seeded player,then THAT would be different.

What does any of this have to do with Caro's welfare??Well,many of you have mentioned Adidas' worries over Caro's results,and why shouldn't the WTA have a similar,long-term view??It's true that they can't FORCE her to care or give her the intensity of a driven,elite player,but there's no reason why they can't at least politely TALK with talented,underachieving players.Essentially,they could have some ex-player on staff--someone she couldn't bullshit--have a chat with Caro(or any similar player),expressing concern over her HUGE loss of form and apparent disinterest.If she offered some sort of halfway-plausible explanation,perhaps a pledge to find a new coach with an impressive resume' if she didn't improve by RG's end,then the WTA staffer could pledge continued support in whatever means possible.If she basically gave a snotty,bitchy reply that it was HER life and none of their business how she played,then they could respond,by their actions,'Well,fuck YOU,too!',making her a USSR-style non-person who got ZERO photo exposure aside from whatever the independent media provided.

There a couple things that barely exist,or don't exist AT ALL,in the WTA,and they include: Integrity;an atmosphere that encourages professionalism;and sincere respect for intellignt,hard-working,ticket-paying fans.Most of all,the 'A' in WTA most DEFINITELY doesn't stand for Accountability.I haven't seen any other sport with such colossal waste of talent where the so-called leaders just sit around either masturbating or plugging their thumbs up their asses.Not only do they not do jack shit to stop the wasted potential that would've greatly raised the quality of the on-court product,they actually ENCOURAGE the worst slackers by pretending that there's nothing wrong with their abysmal performances.I wish that Roger Goodell,Peter Ueberroth or the late Bart Giammatti--seance,anyone?--knew something about tennis;we'd see a MUCH healthier sport if one of them were running things
Why do you let all of this bother you? It's pretty minor at the end of the day.

The WTA can't do what you suggest, they can't be seen to be advising/helping certain players, it would be seen as bias, they have to be an impartial organisation, and have to just go along with whatever they are given.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2729
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro won 2 matches last year on grass at the Olympics and was in one of the best matches of the year at Wimbledon.

I think a change of surface could be good for Caro. She has a chance for a bit of a mental reset with the different surface being a fresh start of sorts. Plus she likes hard court and grass better than she does clay.
Thanks for your correction , I edited my post now. My point was more that Caro could literally be going into these surfaces at pretty much rock bottom confidence wise, that isn't going to benefit you regardless of you changing to a more preferred surface.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2730
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why do you let all of this bother you? It's pretty minor at the end of the day.

The WTA can't do what you suggest, they can't be seen to be advising/helping certain players, it would be seen as bias, they have to be an impartial organisation, and have to just go along with whatever they are given.
You're right that the match summaries are a minor issue,but they are a reflection of the overall piss-ant attitude that exists in the WTA.

Your second paragraph makes no sense,tbh,and contradicts what you've posted previously on a couple occasions.The WTA ALREADY shows bias in how they promote certain players--and pamper them in other ways--and focuses on the stars while giving scant attention to lesser players...which is very logical of them.To blindly ignore problems with such stars is just plain STUPID--and bad for business--and,unfortunately,status quo for the WTA.....Let me take that back;they don't just ignore the problems,they ENCOURAGE them with their assclown quasi-leadership.If an NFL star were caught using coke,the league would be cautious in how often they used him in promos until he had proven rehabilitation to a fair extent.The WTA has no such standards;even players who embarrass the sport are promoted as if they were laudable heroes.

There wouldn't be any fines or suspensions needed for indifferent underachievers;they'd simply be totally replaced in promos by players who DID give a damn and try their best.Establishing such a standard would change the whole subculture of the WTA for the better

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?

Last edited by bruce goose : May 15th, 2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: overly-strong language
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread