MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!! - Page 70 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old May 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1036
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Andy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bondi, Sydney
Posts: 24,525
Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Its taken me longer than I expected to get over this loss hens me not posting. I really thought she had a great chance to get that second set and I was getting so into it. Its just so disappointing to see her go down pretty routinely on Serena's worst surface. I was very proud though of how she didnt give up and really fought hard in that second set. I dont really have a lot to say. Its not like she can take anything from the match.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #1037
country flag Tennispower
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 48
Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Serena is a better player than Maria so she won. Surface wont make any difference whether it is slow or fast because in every aspect movement,variety,power,mental strength and the list on goes Serena is better. She presented an opportunity to Maria in Miami final(Considering how she played before day against Aga), but Maria could not capitalise the opportunity to drop both monkeys Miami curse and Serena fear from her back. That automatically gives confidence to Serena that even she is not at her best she could beat Maria. The bagel in the last set wont help either to Maria's confidence she got after winning a set that she can compete against Serena. If somebody considers her record against Serena from 2004 - 2010 except a couple of matches many were 3 set battles and Close 2 sets. From 2010 - 13 every defeat was a demolition. Shoulder surgery happened in 2008 and after that she faced Serena She faced Serena in Wimbledon 2010 where she lost 7-6,6-4 after holding 3 set points in first set. Now a days can anybody expect the same scoreline atleast, if they both meet again in this years Final or Semi Final at Wimbledon.Now from 2010-13 she won a grandslam at French, but pre 2010 Maria would have won 3 more Grandslams one at Wimbledon - 2011, beating Kvitova and two at 2012 and 2013 AO both times beating Azarenka (Most dissapointing that she ate a bagel in the hands of Azarenka in 2012).

She became so defensive in this period and those fearless ground strokes that gave her Wimbledon at 17 were completely gone in her game. Many a time I have seen in this SS forum fans fear if her prospective opponents in later rounds of a tournament were Kvitova, Azarenka, Na even Aga, Sabine, Ana, Dulgheru(LOL), needless to say about Serena because we know that she has her work cut out if any of those have their best day. So she should atleast try to bring back that fearless Maria of 2004 -10 rather than improving in the present direction. That Maria would be enough to send packing any of other 126 contestants in a Grandslam and atleast to make life difficult and an eventual win against this Serena

Last edited by Tennispower : May 13th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Tennispower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1038
country flag doomsday
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,004
doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennispower View Post
Serena is a better player than Maria so she won. Surface wont make any difference whether it is slow or fast because in every aspect movement,variety,power,mental strength and the list on goes Serena is better. She presented an opportunity to Maria in Miami final(Considering how she played before day against Aga), but Maria could not capitalise the opportunity to drop both monkeys Miami curse and Serena fear from her back. That automatically gives confidence to Serena that even she is not at her best she could beat Maria. The bagel in the last set wont help either to Maria's confidence she got after winning a set that she can compete against Serena. If somebody considers her record against Serena from 2004 - 2010 except a couple of matches many were 3 set battles and Close 2 sets. From 2010 - 13 every defeat was a demolition. Shoulder surgery happened in 2008 and after that she faced Serena She faced Serena in Wimbledon 2010 where she lost 7-6,6-4 after holding 3 set points in first set. Now a days can anybody expect the same scoreline atleast, if they both meet again in this years Final or Semi Final at Wimbledon.Now from 2010-13 she won a grandslam at French, but pre 2010 Maria would have won 3 more Grandslams one at Wimbledon - 2011, beating Kvitova and two at 2012 and 2013 AO both times beating Azarenka (Most dissapointing that she ate a bagel in the hands of Azarenka in 2012).

She became so defensive in this period and those fearless ground strokes that gave her Wimbledon at 17 were completely gone in her game. Many a time I have seen in this SS forum fans fear if her prospective opponents in later rounds of a tournament were Kvitova, Azarenka, Na even Aga, Sabine, Ana, Dulgheru(LOL), needless to say about Serena because we know that she has her work cut out if any of those have their best day. So she should atleast try to bring back that fearless Maria of 2004 -10 rather than improving in the present direction. That Maria would be enough to send packing any of other 126 contestants in a Grandslam and atleast to make life difficult and an eventual win against this Serena
I agree, at this time I'd rather see Maria trying to play a brainless power tennis against Serena than the one she is playing currently. I'm sure she would win more than 5 games every time
Her game is simply not big enough these days, she is rallying too much and exposing her movement like i've never seen her yeah she worked on her movement and moves a lil better but against Serena that's never gonna be enough
__________________
MARIA SHARAPOVA

Last edited by doomsday : May 13th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1039
country flag MashaFan01
Senior Member
 
MashaFan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 880
MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
But even if he/she would be able to take all fear away from her (or make her believe that Serena is Alize Cornet ) I don't think that she would all of a sudden start beating Serena all over the place because she's one hell of a player. But she probably would compete better and be more able to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.
All I ask from Maria is that she is able to put up a fight and if she loses - that she loses with honor - That's all we can ask from her - I'm not worried that if she can get that far that she'll then be able to figure out a way to win - We've seen her do it against other opponents like Henin and Clijsters to whom she lost again and again until she didn't because those loses were close battles and she learned from her losses - I'm not sure what happened between Serena and Masha which has caused this block but whatever it is I'm sure it is treatable

Last edited by MashaFan01 : May 13th, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1040
country flag WTAtennisfan15
Senior Member
 
WTAtennisfan15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,397
WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future WTAtennisfan15 has a brilliant future
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

I haven't posted here in a loong time. But hey guys.

Maria. She's not gonna win Serena ever again, if she looks defeated before the match has even started.

What happened to the fearless bitch who won 2 and a half matches against Serena, back in 2004-2005?
WTAtennisfan15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1041
country flag Tennispower
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 48
Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
I agree, at this time I'd rather see Maria trying to play a brainless power tennis against Serena than the one she is playing currently. I'm sure she would win more than 5 games every time
Her game is simply not big enough these days, she is rallying too much and exposing her movement like i've never seen her yeah she worked on her movement and moves a lil better but against Serena that's never gonna be enough
Exactly, I want more of a Kvitova like Maria, just like in 2004. I am not all worried about winning against Serena. Its not gonna happen unfortunately on any surface, even in Rome or Paris, please guys I really want her to win both but if we live in realistic world, then our weekends would not be so sore.So I am praying some one to take out her before Maria meets her.But if Maria faces her I want losses to be more respectful she should atleast do justice to her No-2 ranking.
Tennispower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1042
country flag Mexicola
Senior Member
 
Mexicola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,097
Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

One thing that's both sad and funny was that before last year's Olympics, Maria actually still had a winning 2-1 record in finals against Serena. And I know there were Maria fans clinging to that stat for the longest time.

But now it's a 2-5 career finals record. Then you can add the disgusting 1-5 record Maria has in finals against Azarenka and you realize that nearly half of Maria's losses in championship matches are to 2 players.

I didn't think it was even fathomable, but I'm actually starting to wonder if Maria will end her career with a below .500 record in finals. When you look at the landscape of the WTA, it's not hard to imagine 10-15 more title matches combined against those 2 in the next few years if everyone remains healthy. Maria is dominating everyone else, so she's going to make deep run after deep run in tourneys and there's a good chance one of those two will be waiting for her. I'm confident Maria can get the upper hand in her rivalry with Vika, but given her record against both at the moment and her continued helplessness against Serena, I'm concerned about what Maria's win/loss total will look like by 2016 if things don't change.

I hate to demand even more from Maria because she's been so consistent over the past 2 years and she's doing the best she can. But when it comes to her 2 biggest rivals, it's still not good enough. She needs to get better mentally and physically if she wants to reach the goals she set for herself, like winning Wimbledon and the US Open again.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #1043
country flag Tennispower
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 48
Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice Tennispower is just really nice
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
One thing that's both sad and funny was that before last year's Olympics, Maria actually still had a winning 2-1 record in finals against Serena. And I know there were Maria fans clinging to that stat for the longest time.

But now it's a 2-5 career finals record. Then you can add the disgusting 1-5 record Maria has in finals against Azarenka and you realize that nearly half of Maria's losses in championship matches are to 2 players.

I didn't think it was even fathomable, but I'm actually starting to wonder if Maria will end her career with a below .500 record in finals. When you look at the landscape of the WTA, it's not hard to imagine 10-15 more title matches combined against those 2 in the next few years if everyone remains healthy. Maria is dominating everyone else, so she's going to make deep run after deep run in tourneys and there's a good chance one of those two will be waiting for her. I'm confident Maria can get the upper hand in her rivalry with Vika, but given her record against both at the moment and her continued helplessness against Serena, I'm concerned about what Maria's win/loss total will look like by 2016 if things don't change.

I hate to demand even more from Maria because she's been so consistent over the past 2 years and she's doing the best she can. But when it comes to her 2 biggest rivals, it's still not good enough. She needs to get better mentally and physically if she wants to reach the goals she set for herself, like winning Wimbledon and the US Open again.
Obviously they both are the best returners in the game along with Maria. Given their returns and Maria's slow reaction after she serves it is difficult for her to construct the point, and Maria's game now very much dependant on clay court like point construction rather than first strike tennis she used to play from 2004 - 2008. Vika is not as powerful as Maria and Serena so Maria somehow manages to beat her but Serena is too powerful she overwhelms her with her power.
Tennispower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1044
Crux Squall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,574
Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

I think her shoulder after injury can't play comfortable streak tennis, so don't blame her. If not injury, noway she changes her game (just my thought)
But Need to be more agrassive in whole game
__________________
Tennis Tipping
Rank:#195 Titles: Pelham 2014
Suicide Tennis
Rank:#127 Titles: Charleston 2014
Tipping Rank:#56
PAW Rank:#108
FITD Rank:#188
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1045
Crux Squall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,574
Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of Crux Squall has much to be proud of
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Maria Sharapova will face Garbine Muguruza in 2nd round of Rome 2012. It's 1st meeting. The match will be play on Wednesday 15
__________________
Tennis Tipping
Rank:#195 Titles: Pelham 2014
Suicide Tennis
Rank:#127 Titles: Charleston 2014
Tipping Rank:#56
PAW Rank:#108
FITD Rank:#188
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1046
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,778
Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennispower View Post
Exactly, I want more of a Kvitova like Maria, just like in 2004. I am not all worried about winning against Serena. Its not gonna happen unfortunately on any surface, even in Rome or Paris, please guys I really want her to win both but if we live in realistic world, then our weekends would not be so sore.So I am praying some one to take out her before Maria meets her.But if Maria faces her I want losses to be more respectful she should atleast do justice to her No-2 ranking.
I prefer Maria like she is. Kvitova is obviously very talented, but today she's the GOAT and tomorrow she makes an obscene number of UE. I for one prefer consistency and a Maria who gets to the latter stages of tournaments on a regular basis. And if she runs into someone in the semis or the final who's better or better on the day, so be it. At least she's always putting herself into a position to win things by making it that far.
__________________

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea


Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1047
country flag heelsrule1988
Senior Member
 
heelsrule1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 622
heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I think we also need to look at ourselves and admit that we are spoiled by Maria's success. I recognized the same symptoms at the Caro forum a few years ago. I know that Caro is no Sharapova, but the reactions to disappointments was much the same. Now there is reason for disappointment of course, but at the beginning it was, "wow, Caro you're doing great. Perhaps she can get into the top 10!" Than when she got into the top 10 we wanted her in the top five. After that number one. we continually kept on raising the bar and when she failed to deliver on our final ambition, that ever elusive slam win we got frustrated and started talking about her as though her not winning a slam meant that she was a failure. But if we would have had the good sense to think back a few years we would have realized that she was not a failure but that she had in fact already far exceeded our initial expectations. But that comes when you are spoiled by success. At the start you are pleased with doing very good, but there comes a point when even doing great is not good enough anymore in the eyes of the fans of a successful player. We want more, more, more!!! And if she fails to deliver we somehow put the blame on her but not our own inflated expectations.

The Maria story is very different from Caro's of course, and she IS a better player. But just think back to three or four years ago. How many of her fans wouldn't have signed for a Sharapova half as good as the one we have now? Her winning the FO and getting back to #1 was nothing short of a miracle. Very few (if any) other players could have come back from where she was to where she is now. We shouldn't forget that. Of course we want more. Of course we want her to beat Serena. Of course we want her to win another major. But at the same time we should keep in mind that the only reason why we keep raising the bar is that she's already exceeded by far what we would have considered a success a few years ago and that it's not fair of us to demand that she lives up to our expectations which continue to get higher and higher for ever and ever. Hoping we can always do. I'm sure that she herself keeps raising the bar of her own expectations as well. But everyone, no matter how great, has his or her limits. And if she fails to deliver on some of her or our own ambitions for her we shouldn't be disappointed IN her but FOR her because we know that she's trying as hard as she can. Her having a mental block against Serena is not the same as not giving it a 100%. She is, and I'm sure that she is as frustrated about it as any of us, probably more so in fact.
heelsrule1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios