MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!! - Page 68 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1006
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Maria feels pressure because she is stubborn. In her head she still clings to the belief that she should be beating Serena, that it's on her racket so the H2H frustrates her. And when that doesn't happen in matches she get's even more frustrated. The other player's who took it to Serena do so because they accept Serena is better and hence feel no pressure, Maria doesn't and while it leads to frustrating matches it is admirable in a sense I guess (some might say delusion, yeah maybe it is but still admirable).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1007
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
Maria feels pressure because she is stubborn. In her head she still clings to the belief that she should be beating Serena, that it's on her racket so the H2H frustrates her. And when that doesn't happen in matches she get's even more frustrated. The other player's who took it to Serena do so because they accept Serena is better and hence feel no pressure, Maria doesn't and while it leads to frustrating matches it is admirable in a sense I guess (some might say delusion, yeah maybe it is but still admirable).
Agree 100% with this. But also I think she always puts more pressure on herself than other players do because for some reason people always compere these two and emphasize the H2H like Maria is the only top player with so many losses against Serena When in fact this is the case with every current WTA player. But I guess that's because of Wimbledon 2004 and how everyone was hyping up this to be a potential great rivalry. To this day their matches are one of the most hyped up ones on the WTA so I get why she might put pressure on herself.
And also even though we might be able to accept Serena is the better player so it's OK for Maria to lose, she never will admit that even to herself and she isn't OK with being second best so this is another reason why it's hard for her to go into the matches with "I've got nothing to lose" attitude.

Last edited by PimpMePova : May 12th, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1008
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

I think the media is a factor too. They hyped that AO 07 Final up soo much saying that Masha will win because she was young and in top form while Serena was washed up and 'out of shape'. Then that shit with Nike happened and it just got Serena so mad and pumped up. The media are so biased against Serena and they always hype up their matches which I think encourages Serena to bring her A-Game everytime to prove them wrong.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1009
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
I think the media is a factor too. They hyped that AO 07 Final up soo much saying that Masha will win because she was young and in top form while Serena was washed up and 'out of shape'. Then that shit with Nike happened and it just got Serena so mad and pumped up. The media are so biased against Serena and they always hype up their matches which I think encourages Serena to bring her A-Game everytime to prove them wrong.
What happened with Nike? I've never heard of it.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1010
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Nike not threaten to drop Serena right before that final?
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1011
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but did Nike not threaten to drop Serena right before that final?
Correct.

LOL sorry for intruding, but yeah Nike actually said that they would drop Serena, regardless of how she did at the AO. Of course they didn't beleieve she would win, but when she did they recanted what they said.

Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1012
country flag PimpMePova

I don't know I wasn't following tennis at the time. That's why I'm asking you. Why would they threaten her?

EDIT: I just saw RatedG answered. That's really awful from Nike
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1013
country flag heavyhorse

I think they threatened her because 2006 wasn't a great year and she was receiving a lot of negative press at the time for her weight but really it was just because she was pretty much consistently injured throughout that year. The media worsened it by hyping up the AO Final saying that Serena will lose easily etc. Then Serena got mad as hell and crushed Pova in the final Just watch the part where they're walking to the centre court down the isle of all the past champions and Serena looks like she's going to war
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1014
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I think we also need to look at ourselves and admit that we are spoiled by Maria's success. I recognized the same symptoms at the Caro forum a few years ago. I know that Caro is no Sharapova, but the reactions to disappointments was much the same. Now there is reason for disappointment of course, but at the beginning it was, "wow, Caro you're doing great. Perhaps she can get into the top 10!" Than when she got into the top 10 we wanted her in the top five. After that number one. we continually kept on raising the bar and when she failed to deliver on our final ambition, that ever elusive slam win we got frustrated and started talking about her as though her not winning a slam meant that she was a failure. But if we would have had the good sense to think back a few years we would have realized that she was not a failure but that she had in fact already far exceeded our initial expectations. But that comes when you are spoiled by success. At the start you are pleased with doing very good, but there comes a point when even doing great is not good enough anymore in the eyes of the fans of a successful player. We want more, more, more!!! And if she fails to deliver we somehow put the blame on her but not our own inflated expectations.

The Maria story is very different from Caro's of course, and she IS a better player. But just think back to three or four years ago. How many of her fans wouldn't have signed for a Sharapova half as good as the one we have now? Her winning the FO and getting back to #1 was nothing short of a miracle. Very few (if any) other players could have come back from where she was to where she is now. We shouldn't forget that. Of course we want more. Of course we want her to beat Serena. Of course we want her to win another major. But at the same time we should keep in mind that the only reason why we keep raising the bar is that she's already exceeded by far what we would have considered a success a few years ago and that it's not fair of us to demand that she lives up to our expectations which continue to get higher and higher for ever and ever. Hoping we can always do. I'm sure that she herself keeps raising the bar of her own expectations as well. But everyone, no matter how great, has his or her limits. And if she fails to deliver on some of her or our own ambitions for her we shouldn't be disappointed IN her but FOR her because we know that she's trying as hard as she can. Her having a mental block against Serena is not the same as not giving it a 100%. She is, and I'm sure that she is as frustrated about it as any of us, probably more so in fact.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1015
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree, this time last year my own was 'win RG and I will never ask anything of you again Maria.' The day after RG finished it was 'get to title #30 by the end of the year Maria.'
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1016
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I think we also need to look at ourselves and admit that we are spoiled by Maria's success. I recognized the same symptoms at the Caro forum a few years ago. I know that Caro is no Sharapova, but the reactions to disappointments was much the same. Now there is reason for disappointment of course, but at the beginning it was, "wow, Caro you're doing great. Perhaps she can get into the top 10!" Than when she got into the top 10 we wanted her in the top five. After that number one. we continually kept on raising the bar and when she failed to deliver on our final ambition, that ever elusive slam win we got frustrated and started talking about her as though her not winning a slam meant that she was a failure. But if we would have had the good sense to think back a few years we would have realized that she was not a failure but that she had in fact already far exceeded our initial expectations. But that comes when you are spoiled by success. At the start you are pleased with doing very good, but there comes a point when even doing great is not good enough anymore in the eyes of the fans of a successful player. We want more, more, more!!! And if she fails to deliver we somehow put the blame on her but not our own inflated expectations.

The Maria story is very different from Caro's of course, and she IS a better player. But just think back to three or four years ago. How many of her fans wouldn't have signed for a Sharapova half as good as the one we have now? Her winning the FO and getting back to #1 was nothing short of a miracle. Very few (if any) other players could have come back from where she was to where she is now. We shouldn't forget that. Of course we want more. Of course we want her to beat Serena. Of course we want her to win another major. But at the same time we should keep in mind that the only reason why we keep raising the bar is that she's already exceeded by far what we would have considered a success a few years ago and that it's not fair of us to demand that she lives up to our expectations which continue to get higher and higher for ever and ever. Hoping we can always do. I'm sure that she herself keeps raising the bar of her own expectations as well. But everyone, no matter how great, has his or her limits. And if she fails to deliver on some of her or our own ambitions for her we shouldn't be disappointed IN her but FOR her because we know that she's trying as hard as she can. Her having a mental block against Serena is not the same as not giving it a 100%. She is, and I'm sure that she is as frustrated about it as any of us, probably more so in fact.

wow

I so agree
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1017
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Maria

Serena is simply better. At least Maria won Stuttgart

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1018
country flag Kitten63

Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
Definitely agree, this time last year my own was 'win RG and I will never ask anything of you again Maria.' The day after RG finished it was 'get to title #30 by the end of the year Maria.'
Same

Anna Chakvetadze Petra Kvitova Jelena Jankovic Nicole Vaidisova Svetlana Kuznetsova Dinara Safina Elena Dementieva Vera Zvonereva Nadia Petrova Marion Bartoli Samantha Stosur

0663...Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Federer Gasquet Djokovic Youzhny Berdych
Kitten63 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1019
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

Mission: Accomplished.

Should have aimed for #501...
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1020
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute

Chrissie-fan

CLAYPOVA
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote