Does Maria need to Fire Thomas Hogstedt - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Thomas Hogstedt should be fired

Yes 4 7.02%
No 45 78.95%
Wait till RG 2013 is over 8 14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all
Does Maria need to Fire Thomas Hogstedt

In my opinion he does nothing good to her game. She might have won RG last year, under his coaching but all of us know how was that happened, Razzano . He can't able to insert any variety in her game moreover he has taken out FH/BH DTL from her game and infused hit to the centre style shot(In his brilliant mind, most secured and point winning shot, bravo). Your opinions please. I want some one who can infuse some variety in her game, say Hingis,mere ball bashing wont work at all against player like Serena, most times against players Vika, Na when they play good tennis and gradually other strong players like Ana, Sabine, Petra etc

Last edited by yashwanth : May 12th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
yashwanth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
country flag swissmr

swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Maria need to Fire Thomas Hogstedt

Don't agree in the slightest, I think she has consistently improved year after yeah with Thomas, she just flopped today against Serena, which I think is way more a mental barrier than anything to do with her game
swissmr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmr View Post
Don't agree in the slightest, I think she has consistently improved year after yeah with Thomas, she just flopped today against Serena, which I think is way more a mental barrier than anything to do with her game
Ok what about Olympics Final, just flopped on that day
Improvement would be apparent only if she can achieve something that she cant able to do so previously, say for example atleast winning a set from Serena if not win on a consistent basis.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
country flag Silas
Unattractive inside

Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute

Has it come to this? Was today's match that bad...
Silas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

theres already a thread about her coaches
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
country flag yashwanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILAS View Post
Has it come to this? Was today's match that bad...
Today's match was usual demolition job in Set-1 by Serena, second set was a bit more competitive but from the look of match its NID that maria gonna loose in 2 sets
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #7
country flag Shinjii

Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future

No, she has gotten her game very consistent with him. She can't beat Serena... well, that's 100% of the WTA tour, so she's in good company. People should stop asking Maria to add variety, she won't. She's just like Venus... stubborn and will continue to play her way, no matter the surface.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8
country flag Shinjii

Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future

Oops.. totally thought this was a GM thread...
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

If losing to Serena Williams is a reason for firing your coach every wta player could fire her coach. You suggested Martina Hingis, and I don't question Hingis' tennis intellect or her qualities as a coach. But if she would employ Hingis in the hope of learning to play some Hingis-like tennis I think it would be a huge mistake because their respective strenghts and weaknesses are totally different, even opposite from one another. It reminds me a bit of the "Wozniacki should be more aggressive" argument. It doesn't work because it doesn't come natural to her. I don't think that you become a better player by trying to be something you're not, but by trying to improve each part of your game by 1% and then another 1%. I think that Hogstedt is doing an excellent job with Maria in that regard.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #10
country flag yashwanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjii View Post
No, she has gotten her game very consistent with him. She can't beat Serena... well, that's 100% of the WTA tour, so she's in good company. People should stop asking Maria to add variety, she won't. She's just like Venus... stubborn and will continue to play her way, no matter the surface.
I am not expecting her to beat Serena, but atleast she should have to make it competitive enough, Vika these days making sure that she is not going down to Serena so easily eventhough she is also a pigeon of hers. No way Vika is more talented than Maria IMO, but she is making her matches against Serena interesting.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashwanth View Post
I am not expecting her to beat Serena, but atleast she should have to make it competitive enough, Vika these days making sure that she is not going down to Serena so easily eventhough she is also a pigeon of hers. No way Vika is more talented than Maria IMO, but she is making her matches against Serena interesting.
Vika is not more talented than Maria, but she's a better defender. And Serena has more problems with players who defend well and get a lot of balls back into play than with those who just try to outhit her.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #12
country flag yashwanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
If losing to Serena Williams is a reason for firing your coach every wta player could fire her coach. You suggested Martina Hingis, and I don't question Hingis' tennis intellect or her qualities as a coach. But if she would employ Hingis in the hope of learning to play some Hingis-like tennis I think it would be a huge mistake because their respective strenghts and weaknesses are totally different, even opposite from one another. It reminds me a bit of the "Wozniacki should be more aggressive" argument. It doesn't work because it doesn't come natural to her. I don't think that you become a better player by trying to be something you're not, but by trying to improve each part of your game by 1% and then another 1%. I think that Hogstedt is doing an excellent job with Maria in that regard.
I dont think employing somebody like Hingis makes her game Hingis-like, TBH hingis is more talented than Maria, I just want Hingis to come and add some variety to her game like some slices, change of pace, redirecting pace etc. Since she is a master-class player she can identify whats wrong with her game than Thomas my opinion
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

No way! What?? Thomas was the one who helped her regain confidence, she was very fragile. And right now she is in a good position. Loosing to Serena - Thomas or Holy Thomas, it will be the same, she has been losing against her since 2005 all the time - close matches or a complete beatdowns, the result has been the same. She will have to find herself that extra-little edge, since she can't the outcome will stay forever as it is.

Chrissie-fan RESPECT!
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #14
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashwanth View Post
In my opinion he does nothing good to her game. She might have won RG last year, under his coaching but all of us know how was that happened, Razzano . He can't able to insert any variety in her game moreover he has taken out FH/BH DTL from her game and infused hit to the centre style shot(In his brilliant mind, most secured and point winning shot, bravo). Your opinions please. I want some one who can infuse some variety in her game, say Hingis,mere ball bashing wont work at all against player like Serena, most times against players Vika, Na when they play good tennis and gradually other strong players like Ana, Sabine, Petra etc
I think it's a stupid question - no offense - Thomas has done wonders with her and it reflects in Masha's ranking - No coach in the world can help Masha with beating Serena - It's not a technical issue but a mental one - What Masha needs to do is to hire a psychologist who can follow her a while on the tour and work with her on a daily basis - make her visualize all sorta matches against Serena and confront her with her fears
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #15
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Thomas isn't the problem.It's obvious he's helped her a lot to improve as a player and find her form after her come back and that reflects on her results. No one can help Maria with her Serena problems except Maria herself she will only beat her when she's able to surpass that mental block she has.
Also it's really hard for players and it takes a lot of time to build that trust you need with them so it wouldn't be a good idea for Maria to change her coach. Players usually take these kind of decisions if there's something seriously wrong with their careers and a hard loss to Serena isn't that. I think Hoggy is doing a great job with her and they continue to improve her game and every season she's playing better and better tennis.
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote