Laura hits the red dirt - Clay Season Cheering Thread - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 11th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #196
country flag no-hay-igual

no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of
Re: Laura hits the red dirt - Clay Season Cheering Thread

I'm not sure I can share your guys optimism for a win over Venus, I think she will be motivated to play her sister again in the second round. Nevertheless, Vee has just had an injury so hopefully she won't have a lot of rhythm out on court. Still, a very tough match but its much better losing to someone like Venus in the first round than to someone like Morita again. I think she'll bring her game but I'm not sure she'll get the win.

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
no-hay-igual is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #197
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

I have more faith in her beating Venus on a show court than I would have in her vs a nobody on an outside court. That being said, she's still very much the underdog and I'm not expecting a win.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #198
country flag Iblis

Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute Iblis has a reputation beyond repute

Tough draw.
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #199
country flag Evans.

Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all
It's such a tough draw.

Venus is such a wild card nowadays. She can still play great tennis, but it all depends on how her body feels that day. One thing for sure though, she will be all over Laura's second serve.

As for Serena, she won't take that early. Or to a player that lowly ranked. I honestly can't remember the last time Serena ranked a match, she doesn't really seem to do that nowadays.

So all in all a tough draw. Laura needs to bring her best immediately.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Evans. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #200
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Over the season you expect the draw to even out and Laura had her luck in the first few months but squandered the opportunities so drawing something like Williams & Williams eventually was bound to happen.

At Charleston Madison Keys was on top with sheer power against Venus for half a set but then Venus adapted her game and went more for accuracy before running out a comfortable winner. That is the problem for Laura - even if she is losing a hitting match, Venus has the experience to adapt her game and play Laura round the court. Laura needs to take her A+ game to Rome and win the rallies before Venus gets her eye in.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #201
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
Fingers crossed for a good draw in Rome
Damnit Joe! Why didn't you cross your fingers harder?
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #202
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post
At Charleston Madison Keys was on top with sheer power against Venus for half a set but then Venus adapted her game and went more for accuracy before running out a comfortable winner. That is the problem for Laura - even if she is losing a hitting match, Venus has the experience to adapt her game and play Laura round the court. Laura needs to take her A+ game to Rome and win the rallies before Venus gets her eye in.
I agree Venus is obviously going to be very tough, and isn't someone you can necessarily just outhit as she has so much experience of breaking player's games down. However, she missed Madrid with a back injury and hasn't played a match on red clay since last years RG. Plus if you're going to play her on any surface clay is by far the best one, particularly as Laura is actually fairly comfortable on it. I still think there were worst draws out there.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #203
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Watched Ivanovich v Sharapova & Ana doesn't move across the court any better than Laura. Nice long legs but runs a bit like a giraffe, Given the level of success Ivanovich has had, maybe it is time to stop obsessing about Laura's 'poor movement' around the court. Although fitness and anticipation can be improved, you are what you are speed wise so Laura would do well to work on the technical side of her game rather than physical (apart from fitness).

Maybe she has to accept that she will never be able to scamper around the back of the court regularly retrieving lost causes - far more important to ensure that her feet are in the right position for the ones she gets to. If movement into and out of the shot is correct, there won't be so many side to side runs and drop shots to chase.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #204
country flag Evans.

Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all
I'm not overly bothered by her movement. It's more her often poor footwork that gets to me. She is just not in the right position to hit the shots she wants to go for, hence the errors.

There are plenty of top players who have had great success without being good movers. Davenport, Kvitova, Seles etc.

Old May 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #205
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw she was playing Vee the first thing that came to my head was the interview after she won Junior Wimbledon

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #206
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I hate her draw I was so hoping she get an good draw for she can get seeded at RG, But all & all if she win or lose it be a great learning experience for her & will help her in the long term of her career win playing against the top players, & she gotta beat the best in order too be the best

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery

S. Crawford | L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #207
country flag james_von05

james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all james_von05 is a name known to all

I can see Laura winning this one comfortably. Venus groundstrokes are just right on Laura's hitting zone and her serve is not as fast as it used to be.
james_von05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #208
country flag Evans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_von05 View Post
I can see Laura winning this one comfortably. Venus groundstrokes are just right on Laura's hitting zone and her serve is not as fast as it used to be.
I highly doubt it'll be a 'comfortable' win but it is doable considering Venus' health and rustiness. However Venus is more than capable of getting Laura on the run and that'll be the issue in this match.

Plus the serve, but that's just a given problem nowadays.

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #209
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Completely unrelated note, but reading a recent telegraph article about Laura made me feel a bit sorry for Heather. She's a good player, but to see Laura getting called "the best woman tennis player in more than 20 years" without any mention of you, despite having winning three tour level events to Laura's zero has got to be a bit galling.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #210
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
Completely unrelated note, but reading a recent telegraph article about Laura made me feel a bit sorry for Heather. She's a good player, but to see Laura getting called "the best woman tennis player in more than 20 years" without any mention of you, despite having winning three tour level events to Laura's zero has got to be a bit galling.
100% agree but this goes with the general consensus (at least by the media/pundits) that Laura's potential is much higher.
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote