Can Sharapova Win A Fast Court Slam Again? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Can she?

Yes, at Wimbeldon 2 3.51%
Yes, at the US Open 13 22.81%
Yes, at both 27 47.37%
She won't win either again 15 26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
country flag Glasgow Smile
テニプリ

Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute
Can Sharapova Win A Fast Court Slam Again?

Interesting in my opinion. When she first came onto the scene after 2004s Wimbledon triumph, Maria Sharapova was a master of the faster surfaces. She had a 25 match win streak on grass (if I can recall) and in 2006 won the US Open, another fast (hardcourt) surface. Over the years, however, her game evolved and became less effective on the faster courts, most likely because she wanted to win the Daphne and the Coupe Suzanne Lenglen (which she ended up winning in 2008 and 2012 respectively). However, since her triumph at Wimbledon, she's only made 1 final since, losing to first time finalist Petra Kvitova, and since 2006 has never been past the semis of the US Open. Her game is starting to be very effective on the slow surfaces of the first two slams (her last two GS titles) but she has not made any significant inroads at the last two.

This question puzzles me, will Maria Sharapova ever win Wimbledon or the US Open again? It's not to say she's useless on the surface, she's a master of all surfaces, but it's quite obvious that her old game was much more useful at the fast court slams compared to her newer, safer, game style. And it's not out of the blue either, even Sharapova's camp stated that 2013 her goals were to win the fast court slams of Wimbledon/US Open again.

I believe she will at the US Open once more, but I don't see another Wimbledon in her future as long as Serena isn't retired .

Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #2
テニプリ

Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can Sharapova Win A Fast Court Slam Again?

She may not do it in 2013, but she's winning the US Open once again

As for Wimbledon...well let's come back in 2017 after Serena retires
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all

Well, unless there's still Serena competing, I don't think so. The american is and has pretty much always been her biggest rival, so... Althugh I still think she might have some chaces.
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #4
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #5
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Of course.

All she needs is another flop by Serena à la French Open 2012.
Plus Williams is bound to slow down at some point.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #6
country flag F4CU

F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of

yes when serena retired yes
Doubles Titles: WTA Stanford´13(w/Martn7) ITF Merida´13(w/*Jean*) ITF Andrezieux´14(w/*Jean*)
Results:S: SF AO´13 SF Rome´13 D: F Cincinnati´13
F4CU is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #7
country flag M@chete

M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all M@chete is a name known to all

An Orang Utan doesn't stop swinging from tree to tree, just because he fell....

It is somehow like even if Serena won FO... would USA notice??
M@chete is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
country flag doujyr

doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of

there is no such thing as a fast court slam any more
doujyr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #9
テニプリ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doujyr View Post
there is no such thing as a fast court slam any more
True, it's slowed down so much compared to the real fast courts (pre 2000) but Wimbledon/US Open is still faster (relatively speaking) than the Australian Open and French
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #10
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

No way. She will however win RG the next 10 straight years.
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #11
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Preach

Last edited by miffedmax : May 12th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #12
country flag rjd1111

rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoo View Post
Well, unless there's still Serena competing, I don't think so. The american is and has pretty much always been her biggest rival, so... Althugh I still think she might have some chaces.
Rival??
rjd1111 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #13
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

If cehowardrx7 and crescentmoon's posts aren't sufficient for the moderators to take notice, I guess nothing is.

- Li Na

(after dramatic 3-set AO 2013 final, where she took 2 nasty spills and twisted her ankle).
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #14
country flag Joelle

Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all Joelle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1_and_uh_noone View Post
If cehowardrx7 and crescentmoon's posts aren't sufficient for the moderators to take notice, I guess nothing is.
I wish people would stop yapping on about Moderators intervening. How dull do some of you guys want this place to be .
Joelle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #15
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle View Post
I wish people would stop yapping on about Moderators intervening. How dull do some of you guys want this place to be .
yes please!@ be your own moderator and pass by things you dont wanna read

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
V Williams is like 63453 years old.
Leo St is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote