1986 - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #166
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

MANDLIKOVA UPSETS LLOYD
The Charlotte Observer
Sunday, March 23, 1986
From Associated Press Reports

An emotional Hana Mandlikova upset second-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd Saturday to join top-seeded Martina Navratilova in Sunday`s final of the Virginia Slims Championships tennis tournament.

Mandlikova, the reigning U.S. Open champion, eliminated Lloyd in this season-ending event at Madison Square Garden 6-3, 7-5 after Navratilova crushed West Germany's Steffi Graf 6-2, 6-2 in just 53 minutes.

The crowd of 16,549 was the largest ever to watch an all-women's tennis match.

Lloyd's defeat assures Navratilova of the World Championship title and the $225,000 bonus that goes with it. Lloyd finished second in the season-long points race to earn $150,000.

Sunday's final, which will be televised on USA Network, is a rematch of last year's U.S. Open women's title match, which Mandlikova won in three sets. The final of this 16-player, season-ending event is a best-of-five sets, the only match in the only tournament in the world in which women face the prospect of needing to play more than three sets to win.

The champion will collect $125,000, the richest purse in women's sports, while the loser will pocket $60,000.

Graf, the No. 3 seed, was no match for Navratilova. Appearing in her eighth consecutive final at Madison Square Garden, Navratilova dominated her 16-year-old opponent from the baseline and at the net.

She broke Graf in the third and seventh games of the first set, which took 26 minutes to complete. And after Navratilova held in the second game of the second set after being taken to deuce three times, there was nothing Graf could do to stem the tide.

Navratilova broke Graf in the third game at 30 and the seventh game at 15. She then closed out the match by wining the eighth game at love, assuring her eighth consecutive trip to the final at Madison Square Garden.

"I had a single-minded purpose to win, and I was concentrating very hard," Navratilova said. "I knew when Steffi switches to playing serve-and-volley, she was getting desperate because she never does that."

Graf said Navratilova "was playing really well. There was not much I could do. She didn't give me any chances."

Mandlikova, a 24-year-old Czechoslovakian, breezed through the first set in 34 minutes, although Lloyd fought off five set points before falling. Mandlikova began the match by breaking Lloyd in the second game to grab a 2-0 lead.

In the third game, Mandlikova hit a backhand down the line that was called good, making the scored 30-30. But Lloyd complained bitterly and Mandlikova gave her the point, making it 15-40. Lloyd then won the next point to break back.

But Mandlikova broke in the eighth game, then held through four deuces to close out the set.

Then, with the crowd solidly in Lloyd's corner, Mandlikova raced out to a 4-1 lead in the second set, breaking her 31-year-old opponent in the third and fifth games.

Then Lloyd began a spirited comeback, breaking Mandlikova in the sixth game. The Czech broke right back, making it 5-2, and was serving for the match when Lloyd broke her service again.

When Lloyd held, it was 5-4, and when she broke Mandlikova's serve once again, it was 5-5. On the final point of that game, Lloyd lifted a forehand lob as the acrobatic Mandlikova slipped and fell on the indoor carpet.

Umpire Marc Taylor, after consulting with net cord judge Gail Borden, then assessed Mandlikova a Code of Conduct warning for an audible obscenity.

Mandlikova argued, then looked at Stove and walked to her chair for a sip of water. "She almost lost it for a minute," Lloyd said. "I sensed she was nervous. And the crowd was cheering me on."

"I didn't say nothing," Mandlikova said. "It was obvious that she and him (Taylor) were trying to upset me. I was really upset when Chris broke back at 5-all, but I tried to use my anger in the right way. I got fired up."

Mandlikova loudly protested her innocence and, at the end of the match, she told Borden, "You're a liar, a bloody liar."

She broke Lloyd in the 11th game with a forehand cross-court volley, then held her own serve at 15 to close out the match in one hour, 32 minutes.

"Years ago, she probably would have cracked," Lloyd said of Mandlikova. "She lost her temper for a second, but she was able to regain her composure and make some good shots."

Mandlikova later teamed with Wendy Turnbull to capture the doubles championship, defeating Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Helena Sukova 6-4, 6-7, 6-3.

Mandlikova defeated Navratilova in the U.S. Open last September, but Navratilova holds a 17-6 edge in their rivalry, winning the last three times they have played.

Still, it was one of the closest rivalries in women's tennis, their last nine meetings going to a full three sets.

"Hana can cause some damage, but on physical conditioning, Martina's still the favorite," Lloyd said of Sunday's championship match. Graf also picked Navratilova because "she's playing really well and this surface favors her."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #167

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

NAVRATILOVA GETS TITLE AGAIN AND CONFIDENTLY LOOKS AHEAD
Peter Alfano
Mar. 24, 1986
The New York Times

She made her entrance, stage right, and sat behind a battery of microphones, trading small talk with journalists in the first row while pouring a cup of soda.

''Martina is here,'' the Madison Square Garden official informed the gathering, and in what has become a rite of spring, the chief executive of women's tennis began a comprehensive discourse on the state of her game. The outlook, from Martina Navratilova's perspective, is for continued good times ahead.

For the third consecutive year, Miss Navratilova won the Virginia Slims championship, defeating Hana Mandlikova, 6-2, 6-0, 3-6, 6-1, yesterday in a historically significant match. The final of this season-ending tournament is the only time the women play a three-of-five-set format. It was re-introduced in 1984, but Miss Navratilova won in three sets that year and again last year.

Thus, yesterday's final was the first time the women have crossed the frontier of a fourth set since 1901 when Elizabeth Moore defeated Myrtle McAteer in five sets in Philadelphia. After the fourth set of that match, played in July, the women took a 10-minute break.

Needs Only 17 Minutes

That is just about how long it takes Miss Navratilova to win a set a these days. It took her only 17 minutes to win the second set against Miss Mandlikova yesterday, dropping only 6 points and coming as close to perfection as any player has a right to expect.

On any other day, the players would have met at the net for the ceremonial handshake and been on their way. But as thoroughly beaten and demoralized as Miss Mandlikova looked, there was at least one more set to play. The agony would either be prolonged or she would use the opportunity to make the result respectable.

''I was looking forward to the next set,'' Miss Mandlikova said. ''Martina had started so tough, making such a high percentage of first serves that it was difficult to break her. It was the best she ever played against me. But I believed I could still win.''

Still, she did not play with the frenzy that characterized her game last week and which helped lift her to victory against Chris Evert Lloyd in the semifinal. She did not argue with the officials, pump her fists or spank a ball in disgust. Miss Navratilova said it was nature of the match, not Miss Mandlikova's mood, that discouraged such outbursts.

''All the sets were easy,'' she said. ''Usually, you don't get fired up until it's 5-all.''

An early turning point came at 2-2 in the first set after Miss Mandlikova had broken Miss Navratilova to put the set back on serve and was leading, 40-0, in the fifth game. She double-faulted and committed two unforced errors to send the game to deuce. Eventually, she was broken when Miss Navratilova sized up a weak lob and hit a smash winner.

Tempo Changes

It was the first of 10 consecutive games she would win. Miss Navratilova served extraordinarily well, volleyed with a touch a surgeon would envy and was like a frisky pup, running down just about every passing shot Miss Mandlikova tried to hit by her.

But then just as quickly, the tempo changed. Miss Mandlikova held serve to begin the third set and broke Miss Navratilova in the fourth. It was as if she had joined the match in progress, finding the zip on her forehand, hitting her first serve with more authority. She won the set and had 3 break points in the third game of the fourth before Miss Navratilova escaped.

That was the final turning point. Miss Navratilova broke Miss Mandlikova in the fourth game, saved 2 more break points on her serve and broke Miss Mandlikova for the eighth time in the match in the sixth game.

''I felt all along that it was my week,'' said Miss Navratilova, who earned $386,250 in this tournament, including $125,000 for winning the singles, doubles prize money and the bonus pool winnings.

She reaffirmed her ranking as the No. 1 player in the world and one of the more dominant players in history. She may arguably be the best. And what made it especially sweet was that her mother, Jana, who lives in Czechoslovakia and has been visiting for the past two months, has seen her daughter at her best.

''I wanted to win for her,'' Miss Navratilova said. ''And I wanted to win here. I am rejuvenated. I'd like to be around a few more years.'' LLoyd Defaults

It was apparent after her loss to Hana Mandlikova in the Virginia Slims championships semifinal Saturday that Chris Evert Lloyd was not looking forward to playing a third-place playoff against Steffi Graf preceding yesterday's final. After all these years at the top, Mrs. Lloyd does not think of herself as a lounge act. ''I guess I'll be there,'' she said anyway, after describing how the women had tried to eliminate the playoff, which is part of only this tournament.

Mrs. Lloyd decided that she was could not play after all and informed the tournament director that she would default. The reason given yesterday was exhaustion, although it was assumed that Mrs. Lloyd would not have been too tired to play the final.

In Mrs. Lloyd's place, Pam Shriver played an exhibition that was won by Miss Graf, 7-6, 6-2. Miss Shriver also was the understudy last year when Hana Mandlikova defaulted in the third place match because of an injury.

The player who finishes third earns $30,000, and the fourth-place finisher gets $23,000. Those reaching the quarterfinals, such as Miss Shriver, earn $13,000. Thus for not playing, Mrs. Lloyd was forced to split the difference between the quarterfinals and fourth-place prize money, which amnounted to a total of $10,000. Miss Shriver and Mrs. Lloyd will each receive $18,000.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #168

NAVRATILOVA CAPTURES TITLE IN HISTORIC FOUR-SET MATCH
Lexington Herald-Leader
Monday, March 24, 1986
Associated Press

Martina Navratilova overpowered Hana Mandlikova 6-2, 6-0, 3-6, 6-1 yesterday to capture the $500,000 Virginia Slims Championships in New York in the first women's tennis match to go more than three sets in 85 years.

The last women's match that lasted more than three sets was in July 1901, when Elizabeth Moore defeated Myrtle McAteer in five sets at Philadelphia. Although this is the third year of the best-of-five sets title match in this event, Navratilova won the first two years in three straight sets.

"It was quick," Navratilova said. "Emotionally, it was different. But we weren't out there that long. No long rallies."

The victory was worth $125,000 and brought Navratilova's earnings in the last week, including 1985 year-end bonuses, to $386,250. Mandlikova collected $60,000 yesterday and, combined with winning the doubles title Saturday, earned $117,500 for the week.

West Germany's Steffi Graf took third place, worth $30,000, when Chris Evert Lloyd withdrew from yesterday's scheduled match between the semifinal losers. The official explanation for her withdrawal was "fatigue," and she was awarded fourth place and $23,000.

However, instead of the $23,000 awarded to fourth place, she was given $18,000 - the difference between fourth and a quarterfinal loser - with the other $5,000 going to Pam Shriver, who played an exhibition against Graf before the title match.

Playing some of the finest tennis of her career, Navratilova was completely dominating in the first two sets as Mandlikova was able to hold her own serve only once.

"I don't know if I've ever played better," Navratilova said. "This was really a showcase for women's tennis and a showcase for me."

"That was the best she ever played against me," Mandlikova said. "I don't think I played my best, but you can't lift your game because she's playing very well. She won't let you lift your game."

Navratilova ripped through the second set in 17 minutes. Mandlikova, who beat Navratilova in the women's title match at the U.S. Open last September, was able to win only six points in the set.

Then, in a lapse of concentration, Navratilova began missing her first serve and Mandlikova was able to get into the match.

She broke Navratilova in the fourth game of the third set, and when she held her service in the fifth, she had a 4-1 lead. Mandlikova had a chance to close out the set in the eighth game, but Navratilova fought off four set points and finally held her own service with her sixth ace of the match.

Mandlikova held at 15, and, for the first time since 1901, the women were playing a fourth set.

"I felt great," Mandlikova said. "I lost the first two sets easily and I won the third. I was looking forward to the fourth set."

"I knew I didn't want to go five sets," Navratilova said. "She was playing better, but I didn't feel I was doing anything wrong. I just wanted to get ahead in the fourth set."

Navratilova began the fourth set by holding service at 30. In the third game, she fell behind 15-40 before delivering her seventh ace. A forehand cross-court volley brought her to deuce.

And although Mandlikova had another break point, Navratilova quickly closed the door on her opponent.

She broke Mandlikova in the fourth game at 15, but the right-hander came right back to take a 40-15 lead on Navratilova's serve. Again, the eventual winner held, making it 4-1 and the certain ending just a formality.

Navratilova raced through Mandlikova's serve in the sixth game, breaking at 15, then held at 30, fittingly closing out the match with her ninth ace of the day.

Paine Webber:

Ivan Lendl gave a good indication of his current dominance of men's tennis with an impressive 6-2, 6-0 thrashing of Jimmy Connors yesterday in the finals of the $315,000 Paine Webber Classic tournament at Fort Meyers, Fla.

The top-seeded Czechoslovakian picked up $50,000 for his fifth straight tournament victory. Connors, who hasn't won a tournament in 17 months, earned $25,000.

Lendl, the top-ranked player in the world, hasn't lost a match all year and has won 56 of his last 57 outings. He didn't lose a set in five matches at the Sonesta Sanibel Harbour Resort.

Lendl needed only 72 minutes to finish off Connors, who is ranked fourth in the world.

Connors, the touring pro for Sanibel Harbour, even had the home-court advantage, playing in a stadium named for him. But he didn't win a game after battling Lendl on even terms up to 2-2 in the first set.

After a close line call gave Lendl a service break in the fifth game, Connors didn't win another game the rest of the way.

"When he gets on top, he starts going for broke," said Connors, who has lost nine straight times to Lendl and now trails him 14-13 in career matchups. In the second set, Connors had two break points against Lendl's serve but couldn't win either. He only won six points on his own service.

Belgian Indoor:

Top-seeded Mats Wilander of Sweden defeated Broderick Dyke of Australia 6-2, 6-3 in the finals of the $315,000 Belgian Indoor Tennis Championship yesterday at Brussels, Belgium.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #169

Slims OK'd Evert's Absence
THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
Tuesday, March 25, 1986
United Press

New York -- Chris Evert Lloyd said yesterday she asked for and received permission before pulling out of her scheduled consolation match in the Virginia Slims Championships .

Evert failed to appear for a third place match against Steffi Graf Sunday, and it was announced she defaulted because of exhaustion, but she said she withdrew because ''I was out of the tournament and the match didn't have anything to do with ranking or computer points.''
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #170

A Milestone for Women's Tennis
Tuesday, March 25, 1986
Associated Press

After receiving a special award at a dinner Sunday night, Billie Jean King reminisced about the early days on the professional women's tennis tour.

"We played in little gyms and would stand out in the street trying to get people to come watch us play," said King, who has won a record 20 Wimbledon titles.

Earlier Sunday, a crowd of 16,108 - the second largest ever at an all-women's tennis tournament, behind only Saturday's semifinal audience of 16,549 - jammed into Madison Square Garden to watch Martina Navratilova continue her domination of the sport, beating Czechoslovakia's Hana Mandlikova, 6-2, 6-0, 3-6, 6-1.

"I felt all along that it was my week," Navratilova said after claiming the $125,000 first prize, the biggest in women's sports.

Including bonuses from the year-long Virginia Slims tour and her quarterfinal doubles finish, Navratilova collected $386,250 for the week. That amount alone would put her in 41st place in career earnings among the women, and it raised her on-court earnings to nearly $10.5 million, the most of any player, male or female.

It was the first time since 1901 that women have played more than three sets, although it was the third consecutive year the Virginia Slims Championships final has been a best-of-five sets format. Navratilova, making her eighth consecutive appearance in the final, won the first two years in three straight sets.

"I knew the five-setter was a showcase for me and for women's tennis," Navratilova said. "I wanted to do well. I was prepared for a long match."

She also had another reason. Her mother, Jana, was in the audience.

"I couldn't let her down. You know how mothers are," Navratilova said. "I wanted to win for her, and I wanted to win here. I am rejuvenated. I'd like to be around a few more years."

The world's top-ranked player finished with nine aces and 18 service winners. At one point, she won 10 consecutive games. She needed just 26 minutes to capture the first set and only 17 minutes to take the second set.

"I don't know if I've ever played better," she said.

"How many shots did I miss (in the second set)? Everything was going right. I was trying all my shots and they were all working."

In the second set, Mandlikova won only six points.

"That was the best she has ever played against me," Mandlikova said. "I just couldn't lift my game. She wouldn't let me. Martina felt in a fighting mood."
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #171

Family Circle Cup 1986.

BASSETT TAKES MATCH AT HILTON HEAD EVENT
The Charlotte Observer
Tuesday, April 8, 1986

Carling Bassett, the only seeded player in action in the Family Circle Magazine Cup women's tennis tournament Monday, had to rally to claim a first-round victory over Nathalie Herreman.

Bassett, coming back from a layoff, sailed through the first set 6-3 before falling in the second set 1-6.

Herreman broke ahead 3-1 in the third set and appeared headed for the upset before Bassett rallied to win 7-5.

"I wasn't mentally into the match," Bassett said. "I haven't played in a while and I don't have the feel."

Herreman had to win three matches over the weekend just to get into the tournament.

Other first-round winners included Sylvia Hanika, who outlasted Bettina Bunge 4-6, 6-2, 6-4; Katerina Maleeva, an easy 6-2, 7-5 winner over 14-year-old Mary Jo Fernandez; Kathleen Horvath, who defeated Candy Reyolds 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), and Pam Casale, a 6-1, 6-3 winner over Carina Karlsson.

WCT DALLAS

Thanks to injuries, a vacation and a suspension, Wimbledon champion Boris Becker will be the main attraction in the World Championship Tennis Finals beginning today at Reunion Arena in Dallas.

Mats Wilander is the top seed in the 12-man tournament, but Becker - the surprise winner at Wimbledon last year - is playing outstanding tennis.

At the Chicago Grand Prix event two weeks ago, he beat Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl in the semifinals and final.

Lendl, Connors and John McEnroe are not appearing in Dallas. Lendl is sidelined with an injured knee, Connors has been suspended until June and McEnroe is taking a vacation from tennis.

Becker doesn't play until Friday night, meeting the winner of tonight's Miloslav Mecir and Paul Annacone match.

Wilander plays Wednesday against the winner of tonight's Johan Kriek-Brad Gilbert match. Gilbert is the top seeded American at No. 8.

The championship match will be played Sunday.

TENNIS AGREEMENT

The U.S. Tennis Association has signed an agreement with Special Olympics International designed to help develop tennis programs for the mentally handicapped throughout the world.

According to Monday's agreement, the USTA will conduct tennis clinics for Special Olympics coaches and athletes, promote Special Olympics tennis events and send players to major Special Olympics games.

The Special Olympics is an international program of physical fitness, sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with mental retardation. It is a volunteer program featured in 65 countries and more than one million individuals participate in the program.

"In our next international games, which will be held at Notre Dame in 1987, tennis will be an official Special Olympics sport" for the first time, said Sargent Shriver, president of Special Olympics International, who announced the agreement in Washington.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #172

LLOYD NIPS HANIKA IN 2ND ROUND
The Charlotte Observer
Wednesday, April 9, 1986

Chris Evert Lloyd survived a surprisingly strong first-set challenge from Sylvia Hanika before posting a 7-6, 6-1 victory in the second round of the Family Circle Magazine Cup women's tennis tournament Tuesday.

Evert Lloyd, an eight-time winner of the tournament and the defending champion, trailed Hanika 3-1 and 5-3 in the first set before rallying to force a tiebreaker, which Lloyd won 12-10.

"I was pretty sluggish in the first set," Lloyd said. "The conditions were very heavy, and her game's tough on clay anyway. You have to be very patient and hang in there."

Wet conditions delayed the start of play for two hours and briefly suspended the Lloyd-Hanika match. Heavy showers halted play for the day at 5:30 p.m.

Another seeded player advancing without difficulty was U.S. Open champion Hana Mandlikova, who brushed aside qualifier Isabella Cueto 6-2, 6-0.

Gabriela Sabatini, runner-up in the Family Circle Cup last year, breezed past Regina Marsikova 6-1, 6-0, and Manuela Maleeva blanked Iva Budarova 6-0, 6-0.

* Almost $3 million in prize money will be at stake in this year's 100th Wimbledon tennis championships.

The prize money for the two-week tournament increases 9.6 percent to 2,119,780 pounds ($2,967,692).

In past tournaments, only players who reached the final qualifying round received prize money. But this year every player taking part in the three qualifying rounds will have a share.

Last year qualifying prize money was set at 19,400 pounds (then $24,444). But as a result of the change this year's figure will leap to 83,520 pounds ($116,928).

The men's singles champion this year will receive 140,000 pounds ($196,000), compared with 130,000 pounds (then $163,800) last year.

The women's champion will pick up 126,000 pounds ($176,400) compared with 117,000 pounds (then $147,420) in 1985.

The winners of the men's doubles will share 48,500 pounds ($67,900), compared with 47,500 pounds ($59,850) at last year's tournament.

Prize money for the women's doubles champions will go up from 41,100 pounds ($51,786) to 42,060 pounds ($58,884).
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #173

Bassett's father was dying of brain cancer at this time (he would pass on in May 1986), so it's very understandable that Carling wasn't "into tennis."

UNKNOWN A SURPRISE TO BASSETT
The Wichita Eagle
Thursday, April 10, 1986
ASSOCIATED PRESS

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - Steffi Graf, Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Zina Garrison and Helena Sukova all saw their first action and advanced in the Family Circle Magazine Cup women's tennis tournament Wednesday, but Carling Bassett was upset.

Bassett took a listless three-set victory in an opening match Monday against a qualifier but couldn't hang on Wednesday against fellow Canadian Helen Kelesi.

Kelesi dropped the first set 2-6, but then came on to win the last two sets 6-3, 6-4.

Kelesi, 16 and a professional for less than a year, had never played Bassett before and admitted she was nervous when she dropped the first set.

Bassett is just 18, but she is a three-year tour veteran. "Right now, I'm not mentally into tennis," she said. "I was very lucky to get out of the match Monday, and today I had a tougher opponent."

Graf, the third seed, dropped Mercedes Paz 6-4, 6-4. Graf is from West Germany and Paz is from Key Biscayne, Fla.

Kohde-Kilsch, of Monaco got past Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria 6-4, 7-6 (7-5). Kohde-Kilsch is seeded fourth and was a runner-up in the same tournament two years ago.

Zina Garrison, the seventh seed from Houston, defeated Laura Gildmeister of Miami 6-4, 6-3.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #174

Evert Lloyd 'finds her patience' to beat Kelesi in tennis
The Toronto Star
Friday, April 11, 1986
From Wire Reports

Top-seed Chris Evert Lloyd and second-seed Hana Mandlikova advanced with straight-set victories yesterday in the Family Circle women's tennis tournament at Hilton Head Island, S.C.

Evert Lloyd had a few first-set problems with Helen Kelesi of Edmonton before settling down for a 6-4, 6-1 third-round victory.

"She (Kelesi) hits with a lot of topspin - that's the wave of the future - and she got a lot of balls back," Evert Lloyd said. "I was trying to find my patience."

Kelesi advanced to the third round with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Carling Bassett of Toronto Wednesday. Mandlikova, U.S. Open defending champion, breezed to a 6-2, 6-1 win over American Kate Gompert.

* Third-seeded Stefan Edberg, playing a near-flawless serve-and-volley game, defeated Frenchman Yannick Noah, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-4), in the quarter-finals of a $500,000 (U.S.) WCT men's tournament at Dallas.

Edberg, 20, joins two fellow Swedes who had already qualified for the semifinals, top-seeded Mats Wilander and unseeded Anders Jarryd, who upset fourth-seeded Joakim Nystrom, 6-4, 6-2, 6-4.

The other semifinal spot will go to the winner of tonight's match between second-seeded Boris Becker of West Germany and ninth-seeded Paul Annacone of Bridgehampton, N.Y.

* Italian Paolo Cane rallied from a first-set loss to upset top-seeded Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6, in an $85,000 Grand Prix tournament at Bari, Italy.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #175

Mandlikova, Evert Advance To Semifinals
Saturday, April 12, 1986
Associated Press

Hilton Head Island, S.C. -- Chris Evert Lloyd breezed to a straight set victory, but Hana Mandlikova had to go to three sets before advancing in the quarterfinals of the Family Circle Magazine Cup women's tennis tournament yesterday.

Evert Lloyd downed Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, 6-3, 6-4, while Mandlikova, also of Czechoslovakia, overcame Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, 7-5, 0-6, 6-4.

In other quarterfinal matches, Steffi Graf of West Germany dropped Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria, 6-4, 7-5, and Stephanie Rehe, the 16-year-old from California, outlasted Sabrina Goles of Yugoslavia, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-0), 6-3.

Evert Lloyd will meet Rehe and Mandlikova will face Graf in the semifinals today.

Mandlikova took a 3-1 lead in the first set, but saw the lead evaporate to 4-4 before the reigning U.S. Open champion took the first set, 7-5. After falling behind, 3-0, in the second set, she admitted she "saved" herself for the third set and wound up losing the second at love.

"I didn't play very well," Mandlikova said. "I missed too many shots, especially backhands, and I don't usually do that. I didn't serve very well, didn't return very well and didn't approach very well."

Evert Lloyd had a few problems with the big-serving Sukova but expressed
satisfaction with her play.

"I thought Helena played well and served very well and very aggressive," she said.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #176

This is one of Graf's earliest known appearances as a character in a P.G. Wodehouse story. One would not be surprised if Bertie and Jeeves show up after the second paragraph.

GRAF, LLOYD IN FINAL
Ira Berkow
Apr. 13, 1986
The New York Times

For Steffi Graf, the convincing 6-2, 6-4 victory she achieved over Hana Mandlikova today in the semifinals of the Family Circle Magazine Cup tournament at Sea Pines Plantation was exhilarating. It also worked up an appetite.

The 16-year-old Miss Graf advanced to Sunday's final against Chris Evert Lloyd, who defeated Stephanie Rehe, 6-2, 6-1, in today's other semifinal. After Miss Graf's victory, she immediately repaired to the luncheon tent and celebrated by consuming an ample portion of raspberry cobbler.

Miss Mandlikova was less interested in food and more concerned with rest. She said she was taking four weeks off.

Miss Mandlikova, ranked third in the world and seeded second in this tournament, couldn't handle the zinging forehand shots of Miss Graf, ranked fourth in the world and seeded third here.

Miss Graf, who gained the semifinals of the United States Open last summer before losing to Martina Navratilova, has never won a major tournament.

"Steffi doesn't give you any easy balls," said Miss Mandlikova, after the match, "and she's very consistent. But I was very tight. I was tired. I've been playing for eight straight weeks, and yesterday I had a hard match, too."

She beat Gabriela Sabatini in three long sets.

"And today, there were certain balls I didn't get to because my legs just didn't go."

This was the first time the two had met in a tournament; Miss Graf has now beaten virtually every current player of consequence except for Miss Navratilova and Mrs. Lloyd. And against Miss Mandlikova, Miss Graf was wary throughout.

"Hana never gives up," said Miss Graf, "and so you know she always comes back." And Miss Mandlikova did.

Miss Graf took the first set rather handily, and ripped off a 4-1 lead in the second when Miss Mandlikova seemed to gain strength. She won three of the next four games.

It was 5-4 in games with Miss Mandlikova serving and leading, 30-love, in the 10th game when she double-faulted twice, faltered at the net and went down to defeat.

Mrs. Lloyd was at the top of her game and whipped a game but overwhelmed Miss Rehe, who is 16 and has been a pro for seven months.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #177

GRAF BEATS MANDLIKOVA, MEETS EVERT FOR CROWN
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Sunday, April 13, 1986
Compiled From Wire Reports

Chris Evert Lloyd and Steffi Graf won straight-set victories Saturday to reach the finals of the Family Circle Magazine Cup women's tournament.

Lloyd, the tournament's top seeded player, defeated Stephanie Rehe, 6-2, 6-1, and Graf upended second-seeded Hana Mandlikova, 6-2, 6-4.

Lloyd said she played her best tennis of the tournament in the 90-minute match characterized by long baseline exchanges on the clay at the Harbour Town Racquet Club.

''I didn't want to stay back there and hit a lot of groundstrokes,'' said Lloyd, who stroked a number of passing shots by bringing her game to the net.

''I didn't want to stay out there for three hours if I could help it. I don't feel as patient as when I was a teenager. I just want to come in.''

Rehe, 16, said she was pleased with the way she played but said Lloyd ''just played too well today.''

Eight of the 15 games in the match went to deuce.

''I had some chances, a lot of game points, but she just played them tougher than I did,'' Rehe said.

Graf, 16, called her victory over last year's U.S. Open winner ''one of my biggest wins ever.''

She won the first set handily and built a 5-2 lead in the second set before Mandlikova pulled to within 5-4. Mandlikova fought off five match points over the final two games before losing service -- and the match -- in the 10th game, in which she double-faulted twice.

Graf has reached the finals of the Virginia Slims of Florida and the International Players Championships earlier this year.

Mandlikova, the third-ranked player in the world said she felt tired going into the match and was dizzy at first because she hadn't taken enough liquids.

She said she will take a month off from the tour to rest.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #178

Graf, Lloyd advance to final
The News and Courier
April 13, 1986
James Beck

Hilton Head Island -- With one 16-year-old out of the way, Chris Evert Lloyd faces another today in her bid to win her ninth Family Circle Magazine Cup championship.

Lloyd, the defending champion and top seed, defeated Stephanie Rehe, 6-2, 6-1, in Saturday's semifinals before a crowd of about 4,400 at Sea Pines Racquet Club. Her opponent in today's 2 p.m. nationally televised final (NBC, Channel 4) will be West Germany's Steffi Graf, a 6-2, 6-4 winner over second-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia.

The doubles final, pitting Lloyd and Anne White against Graf and Catherine Tanvier, will follow the singles final. An exhibition pro-set match between White and Tanvier will start at noon.

Lloyd didn't give Rehe, a tall and thin Californian who is ranked 18th by the Women's Tennis Association, a chance. After the chair umpire reversed a ruling that Rehe had won the first game and called the score deuce instead, the 31-year-old Lloyd was in complete control.

Lloyd's ground strokes were far too consistent for the hard-hitting but erratic Rehe. The national-television audience, which missed the scheduled tennis coverage because baseball's New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies played extra innings, didn't miss much. The match was a rout.

"That's the best match I've played in the tournament," said the trim Lloyd, the world's No. 2-ranked player. "I didn't play my best tennis at the beginning of the week."

Lloyd attacked the net more than usual. "I didn't want to stay out there three hours, if I could help it. I didn't want to get into a lot of long rallies."

Lloyd's presence at the net after well-placed ground strokes caused Rehe to rush her shots on the clay surface.

As for today's battle for the $30,000 first prize, Lloyd said, "I always go into a match knowing how well Steffi can play. Her forehand is dangerous."

Lloyd owns a 6-0 record against Graf.

While the 12th-seeded Rehe, who faced only one seeded player (No. 7 Zina Garrison) here prior to Saturday, was a surprise semifinalist, Graf belonged in the spotlight. Ranked fourth in the world and third seeded here, Graf appeared to be as good as her ranking while blitzing Mandlikova.

Mandlikova blamed the one-sided defeat on fatigue. The reigning U. S. Open champion should have blamed it on Graf's consistency and brilliant play.

"I was very tired today," Mandlikova said. "I've played eight weeks in a row, and it's starting to catch up with me.

"I didn't feel I could stay on the court four or five hours. I need a physical and mental break," added Mandlikova, who plans to take the next four weeks off.

"There were certain balls I couldn't get to. My legs wouldn't go. She (Graf) is a good player. She doesn't give you any easy balls."

After taking a 3-0 lead in the first set, Graf yielded two games she easily could have won. She didn't let another opportunity escape her in the first set.

Mandlikova was frustrated. She showed it on the last point of the first game of the second set by walking off the court as Graf hit a forehand to an open court.

Mandlikova came back on the court to hold service in the second game, but Graf quickly regained her domination for a 4-1 advantage.

"I had to keep her (Mandlikova) on the baseline, because at the net she's very good," Graf said. "On the baseline, she doesn't really move so well. I think hard court is really her best surface."

Down 5-2, Mandlikova started gambling, coming to life with crisp volleying. She saved two match points to close to 5-3 and then fought off two more match points in the ninth game to break service.

As Mandlikova won the first two points of the 10th game, the crowd sensed a third set. But she double-faulted two of the next three points and didn't win another point. Graf put her away with a sizzling forehand service return.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #179

Graf knocking on throne's door
James Beck
The News and Courier
April 13, 1986

Hilton Head Island -- Steffi Graf. Oh, so young, yet oh, so good.

Currently ranked No. 4 in the world among women's tennis players, her next stop may be the No. 3 slot held by Hana Mandlikova. That is, if Graf's 6-2, 6-4 victory over Mandlikova in Saturday's semifinals of the Family Circle Magazine Cup is an indication of what the future holds. Graf dominated the match.

The Family Circle is Graf's fourth tournament of the year and her third final. For the third time in 1986, Chris Evert Lloyd stands between the West German youngster and her first tournament championship as a professional. Graf's only other loss this year was to Martina Navratilova in the semifinals of the Virginia Slims Championships.

One month from her 17th birthday, Steffi Graf is knocking on the door to the throne of women's tennis -- the residence of Navratilova and Lloyd, at Nos. 1 and 2, the undisputed rulers.

The victory over Mandlikova, a former French Open titlist and reigning U.S. Open champion, was a start, Graf's biggest and most important victory. She could surpass that in the nationally televised final (NBC, Channel 4) at 2 p.m. today by scoring her initial victory over Lloyd.

Of course, Lloyd practically owns the stadium court at Sea Pines Racquet Club. While dispensing of 16-year-old Stephanie Rehe, 6-2, 6-1 Saturday, Lloyd looked very capable of wearing the Family Circle Cup crown for a ninth year.

Graf is happy to just be a part of the show today. Teaming with Catherine Tanvier, she also will face Lloyd -- and Anne White -- in the doubles final.

"I'm in the finals in singles and doubles. It's been a great tournament for me," Graf said.

"I think I have a chance (against Lloyd). I think I know what to do."

A blonde-haired teen-ager with the solid forehand, she can draw on her success against Mandlikova when a crises arises against Lloyd.

"Sure, it (Saturday's victory) will be good for me," Graf said. "She (Mandlikova) has won so many big matches. She won the U.S. Open. She's really a good player and hard to beat. It's good for me to beat her."

Graf, a 5-8, 116-pound native of Bruehl, West Germany, is still trying to adjust to her sudden success. She leaped from No. 22 to No. 6 in 1985.

"I think everything came to me too fast," she said. "To get to the top, I think I have to work a lot on my game, my serve and my volley, especially my backhand. I still have a lot of things to improve."

Although her primary weapon is a big forehand, consistency might rival the forehand. Plus, her quickness, mobility and staying power are excellent. While Mandlikova showed fatigue in the midday heat, Graf was a picture of freshness.

Judging by her improvement within the last year, Graf won't be content at No. 4. Although she is continuing her education through correspondence courses, she obviously spends many hours practicing tennis.

She has come a long way since a tennis instructor in West Germany sawed off a racket for his 4-year-old daughter. Steffi Graf is now sawing down the elite of women's tennis.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #180

GRAF WILL TRY TO END EVERT'S FAMILY AFFAIR
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, April 13, 1986
Jim Sarni

Hilton Head Island is a quiet nature walk in the tall pines off the Atlantic Ocean. The world turns in three-fourths time here and that's just how the natives like it.

Change is an unwelcome tourist.

In keeping with the spirit of the place, Chris Evert Lloyd has won the Family Circle Cup eight times in nine attempts, starting in 1974. No player in tennis history has ever been as successful at one event.

"The people here don't mind seeing Chris win all the time," said one islander. "This is her tournament."

Today Evert tries to widen her Family Circle of success when she meets Steffi Graf for tournament title No. 9 and career title No. 147 (Channels 5, 7 at 2 p.m.)

Evert overpowered 16-year-old Stephanie Rehe 6-2, 6-1 and Graf, another 16-year-old, upset second-seeded Hana Mandlikova 6-2, 6-4 in Saturday's semifinals.

"I feel so comfortable on this court because I've played here so many years," Evert said. "The environment. The fans. Everything is so familiar to me, and that helps me."

Only Andrea Jaeger (6-1, 1-6, 6-2 in 1982) has beaten Evert in the Family Circle Cup. Evert has vanquished six different players in her title victories. Last year she stopped young Argentine Gabriela Sabatini, who had knocked off Pam Shriver and Manuela Maleeva to reach the final.

This time it will be a West German teen-ager on the other side of the net.

Evert has beaten Graf six times without a defeat, including two finals this winter in Florida -- the Virginia Slims of Florida in Key Biscayne (6-3, 6-1) and the Lipton International Players Championships in Boca Raton (6-4, 6-2). Even so, Evert is on her guard.

"Graf, like all the other 16-year-olds, is getting better every day," Evert said. "She's definitely a dangerous player and I have to play well to beat her. I have a lot of respect for her game."

Mandlikova found out just how tough Graf can be as the two played for the first time Saturday.

Graf, ranked No. 4, toppled Mandlikova, No. 3, with a consistent serve and her vaunted forehand. Graf connected on 80 percent of her first serves and blasted 16 forehand winners.

"It's a great thrill to beat Hana. I've always wanted to play her," said Graf, who needed five match points to clinch her victory which ranks with last year`s U.S. Open semifinal win over Pam Shriver as the biggest of her brief career.

Mandlikova, who said that she is tired from a heavy schedule, rallied from 2-5 to 4-5 in the second set. She was ahead 30-love, two points from evening the match, but then double faulted twice.

"I thought for sure it was going to be 5-all," Graf said. "Even when you are ahead 6-2, 5-2, Hana keeps coming back."

Rehe, the 5-foot-11 Californian who is ranked No. 18 less than a year after turning pro, came back to beat Zina Garrison and Sabrina Goles in exciting three-set matches the previous two days, but she had no answers against Evert.

Evert won seven of the eight games that went to deuce.

"Chris is so mentally tough on the big points," Rehe said. "I certainly had my chances."

Evert played aggressively, coming to the net 17 times and winning 15 points.

"I took advantage of her high balls and came in quite a lot," Evert said. "This was the best match I've played in the tournament. I didn't play my best-best tennis at the beginning of the week but I was pleased with my game today. I'm going to have to play this well again to beat Graf."