MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!! - Page 22 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #316
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

Ok, fair enough. But I'm sure if Maria had the choice of playing Serena or anyone else in the final, what do you think would be her choice?
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #317
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Ok, fair enough. But I'm sure if Maria had the choice of playing Serena or anyone else in the final, what do you think would be her choice?
Well when asked about where she would want to face Serena the most she answered Wimbledon , I think that should give you a hint .
Mr.Sharapova is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #318
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Knowing Maria, I think she'd choose to play Serena every time. That's just the kind of player she is. It doesn't matter to her if she loses to Serena 20 times in a row, she won't rest until she beats her.

The fact that she chose Centre Court at Wimbledon as the place she'd most like to play Serena says everything you need to know about Maria. She wants to take on the biggest challenges there are, no matter the odds.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #319
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Mexicola gurl, what has happened to you? Multiple personality disorder? I bet as soon as Maria loses, you'll be back to your usual theatrics
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #320
country flag Fighterpova

Maria says she loves playing Serena, Serena says the same. Well, in that case, I am happy for both of them. They have sure given us many memorable matches

Last edited by Fighterpova : May 5th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #321
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Knowing Maria, I think she'd choose to play Serena every time. That's just the kind of player she is. It doesn't matter to her if she loses to Serena 20 times in a row, she won't rest until she beats her.

The fact that she chose Centre Court at Wimbledon as the place she'd most like to play Serena says everything you need to know about Maria. She wants to take on the biggest challenges there are, no matter the odds.
are you calling her delusional now, when she won her maiden slam by trashing this same player in the final in that venue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #322
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
are you calling her delusional now, when she won her maiden slam by trashing this same player in the final in that venue?
I also recall a much more recent meeting between those two players on that exact same court last summer where Maria managed to win one game.

I'm not saying she's deluded, because there's always a chance she could win. It's a tennis match between two human beings, so anything can happen. I'm saying Maria is a stubborn, proud, and brave player to want the biggest challenges. I admire that about her greatly because most other players would shy away from asking for Serena on her best surface. It's Maria's unwavering belief in herself that separates her from every other player.

Numbers speak loudly though. 9 years and 11 straight losses. And Serena has been nearly invincible on grass. I love Maria's confidence, but I wouldn't exactly call her the favorite in that scenario.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #323
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Numbers speak loudly though. 9 years and 11 straight losses. And Serena has been nearly invincible on grass. I love Maria's confidence, but I wouldn't exactly call her the favorite in that scenario.
I wonder what the H2H record is if Maria meets Serena at 2013 Wimbledon, considering they may meet three more times before then.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #324
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I also recall a much more recent meeting between those two players on that exact same court last summer where Maria managed to win one game.

I'm not saying she's deluded, because there's always a chance she could win. It's a tennis match between two human beings, so anything can happen. I'm saying Maria is a stubborn, proud, and brave player to want the biggest challenges. I admire that about her greatly because most other players would shy away from asking for Serena on her best surface. It's Maria's unwavering belief in herself that separates her from every other player.

c'mon now, you know perfectly well Maria was sick during that last match on grass...how about we remember a more relevant 2010 match, where "invincible" Williams needed a choke from Pova just to win a tiebreak on grass. Yeah, the same 10' version of erratic Pova, who was outside TOP 10 at the time. I think you are clearly underestimating her grass abilities here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #325
country flag Fighterpova

Quote:
c'mon now, you know perfectly well Maria was sick during that last match on grass...how about we remember a more relevant 2010 match, where "invincible" Williams needed a choke from Pova just to win a tiebreak on grass. Yeah, the same 10' version of erratic Pova, who was outside TOP 10 at the time. I think you are clearly underestimating her grass abilities here
What?

That final was painful, but Serena won fair and square. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Maria.

Serena was just in another dimension and nobody was able to come close.
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #326
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
What?

Serena was just in another dimension and nobody was able to come close.
Serena's legacy is sensational and out of this world, if she retired after 2012 YEC. However, I can't be more happier that she is still around and Maria will have her chances.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #327
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Serena's legacy is sensational and out of this world, if she retired after 2012 YEC. However, I can't be more happier that she is still around and Maria will have her chances.
+1 , without Serena WTA will be a joke, despite it's obvious Masha will win much more, but it's not what any sane fan wants

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #328
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
+1 , without Serena WTA will be a joke, despite it's obvious Masha will win much more, but it's not what any sane fan wants
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the WTA without Serena would be a joke, but there's definitely a shortage of strong personalities out there, so the WTA is definitely better off with her than without her.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #329
country flag Mexicola

Quote:
I don't think I'm underestimating Maria's grass prowess as much as you are underestimating Serena's overall greatness. What she did in the second half of last season may never be duplicated again. She's already in the conversation as greatest women's tennis player ever and she will only be adding to the astounding career accomplishments she's accumulated, in the next few years, if her health holds up.

But that doesn't mean I don't have high regard for Maria on grass. I think she's the second best player on that surface and that includes an in-form Kvitova. I don't care what she did to Maria in that 2011 final, I'll take Maria over Petra any day on grass. However, when it comes to Serena, she gets put in a league of her own. Until I see actual signs of deterioration in her game, I'll always give her the benefit of the doubt. And I don't see that as a slight against Maria.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #330
country flag Mexicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the WTA without Serena would be a joke, but there's definitely a shortage of strong personalities out there, so the WTA is definitely better off with her than without her.
From a global perspective, I would say the WTA is headed for a dark age once Maria and Serena leave the game. And you could also include Li Na because of the China factor. But Maria and Serena in particular have done an incredible job of creating and cultivating their own worldwide brand. Even if you don't follow tennis, you know who they are. They bring in the casual fans, they create buzz, they move the needle. Once you get beyond them, you pretty much only have niche players, who have their own groups of devoted fans, but no wide appeal and recognition outside of tennis.

And I don't really see any huge superstars on the horizon that are capable of capturing the public's imagination. No "IT" factor.

Can you comprehend a WTA trying to be carried by Kvitova or Azarenka or Radwanska if there were no Maria and Serena?