New Big West - 2012-13 - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #226
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: New Big West - 2012-13

I thought I would be feeling down losing to LBS but UCI women's tennis already had an at-large locked up and win or lose our ranking wasn't going to change much. Instead I feel good cuz UCI got the NCAA at-large over Long Beach St. in men's volleyball which is more important. Now UCI has a chance to defend their championship and try to win our 4th national title in the last 7 years.

Will LBS ever win a national title in any sport ever again? The cheer leading national title that was stripped from LBS doesn't count.

In an ideal bracket #25 plays #40 in the 1st round and #8 in the 2nd round.

- #45 LBS's ranking should go up by about 5 to #40.

- So LBS may project to play #25 Texas at #8 UCLA's regional.

Coincidentally I'll be visiting UCLA where the men's volleyball Final 4 will be held.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #227
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

I find it UNBELIEVEABLE how some teams just neglect reporting their official match results.

Take the case of Wyoming defeating #53 Fresno St. which happened 4 days ago but still hasn't been recorded on the ITA website. This result being recorded could be the difference between Wyoming getting ranked again or not.

A ranked Wyoming may boost the ranking of both UCI & LBS. Even if the move up is just 1 spot that can give both teams a slightly more favorable opponent in the NCAA Tournament 1st round.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #228
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

unbelievable?? but we know that it has happened with other teams besides Wyoming. Instead we should expect that it is going to happen, and the ITA should have a plan to deal with it. It hurts not only the unreportting team, but also identifiable other teams, and the overall integrity of the ranking system. Changes or penalties for not reporting may be neededl
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM   #229
country flag gouci

NCAA singles tournament

UCI 2013 Big West Player of the Year Kristina Smith earns the Big West automatic bid into the NCAA singles tournament to be played May 22-27 at the University of Illinois.

This season there were 16 automatic bids and 48 at-large bids for the 64 player singles tournament. A conference needs to have a player ranked in the top 125 to use their auto bid.

There were 11 automatic bids and 21 at-large bids for the 32 team doubles tournament. A conference needs to have a player ranked in the top 60 to use their auto bid.

- UCI's Kristina Smith/Goettsching were ranked #77 in the last doubles rankings. So win or lose vs Long Beach St. they were not going to qualify despite what Form likes to think. Once again when it comes to UCI Form doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:04 PM   #230
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

DJ Gurule or someone on the NCAA committee must be Coach Edles' in law or something

UCI at #32 is the LAST # 2....

They should be playing the top # 3 in the region... not in their league... either # 40 St Marys or # 43 SD State or # 53 Pepperdine or # 57 UNLV... all within the 300 mile rule and a higher ranked # 3 seed than what UCI got.

How they got # 63 San Jose State, one of the last # 3's, is a complete joke and complete violation of any intelligent bracketing.

Congrats to UCI on their 2nd round loss to USC ... for the third time this year

MIND BOGGLING how this committee bracketed... the WEAKEST # 2 VS THE WEAKEST # 3... with four other better # 3 options available WITHIN THE 300 MILE PRIORITY GEOGRAPHY RULE

What the
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #231
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Will LBS ever win a national title in any sport ever again?
I have to wipe some egg off my face.

Congrats to Long Beach St. for winning the women's beach volleyball national title.

Also congrats to UCI for repeating as NCAA men's volleyball national champions. UCI has built a dynasty winning 4 titles in the last 7 years.

What a euphoric day for 2 Big West members.

Who could have predicted UCI and LBS would win national titles on the same day.
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #232
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
I have to wipe some egg off my face.

Congrats to Long Beach St. for winning the women's beach volleyball national title.

Also congrats to UCI for repeating as NCAA men's volleyball national champions. UCI has built a dynasty winning 4 titles in the last 7 years.

What a euphoric day for 2 Big West members.

Who could have predicted UCI and LBS would win national titles on the same day.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #233
country flag gouci

Cal St. Fullerton

With the Cal St. Fullerton coach retiring it will be interesting to see the next coach the new AD hires. Will he just get a caretaker or someone who will take the team up a notch.
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #234
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Is it true that CSF only has 2 scholarships? Are most of the conference schools not fully funded?
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #235
country flag gouci

NCAA Tournament 1st Round

#28 Oklahoma St. def. #39 Long Beach St. 4-0

Oklahoma State shuts out Long Beach St. in just under 3 hours.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #236
country flag gouci

NCAA Tournament 1st Round

UCI def. San Jose St. 4-2

San Jose St. (19-5) was a very formidable team that won the WAC Tournament title. SJS beat WCC regular season champs Santa Clara and beat Mountain West Tournament champs UNLV.

The one who REFUSED to lose for UCI was Ali Facey. She lost the 1st 4-6 and was down 2-4 in the 2nd. But she fought all the way back to win the tie-breaker and set 7-6.

Ali was down 2-4 again in the 3rd set but again REFUSED to lose. She came storming back to win the set 7-5 and clinch the team victory for UCI.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #237
country flag gouci

Re: NCAA Tournament 1st Round

Ali Facey the player Long Beach St. DID NOT WANT becomes the HERO in UCI's biggest win.

Ali Facey celebrates the match-winning point.

NCAA Tournament – First Round
Los Angeles, Calif. – Marks Stadium

DOUBLES

1. #85 Goettsching/Smith (UCI) def. Leon Chao/Medlin (SJSU) – 8-4
2. Boczova/Willett (SJSU) def. A. Facey/Schweyer (UCI) – 8-1
3. Bacelar/Truong (SJSU) def. Mamiit/Stadfelt (UCI) – 8-5

San Jose State wins the doubles point

SINGLES

1. #85 Kristina Smith (UCI) vs.#54 Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) – 7-5, 2-6, 5-6 (unf.)
2. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) – 6-2, 6-4
3. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) – 6-3, 6-3
4. Sarah Gong (UCI) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) – 6-2, 6-2
5. Ali Facey (UCI) def. Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) – 4-6, 7-6 (0), 7-5
6. Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) – 6-3, 2-6, 3-6

Order of finish: Doubles – 2, 1, 3 | Singles – 4, 3, 2, 6, 5
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #238
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

gouci were you there today? I think I saw Courtney Byron
Won't be there tomorrow though, gotta watch Ok. St.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:26 AM   #239
country flag gouci

NCAA singles 1st round

#85 Kristina Smith (UCI) vs #19 Maho Kowase (Georgia)

- The Georgia player is not tall and overpowering so she's a good match up for Kristina. Both players are about the same size and look evenly matched. Kristina just looks to be playing tougher mentally.

- Kristina got broken at 1-1 and fell down 1-2 early in the match. Then with Kowase serving Kristina had 4 break point chances but didn't convert on any of them falling behind 1-3. Kristina fights back holding serve then breaking Kowase to tie it 3-3. Kowase returns the favor breaking Kristina who trails 3-4. At this point Kristina really showed her mental toughness. Kowase was serving and had about 7 Ad points to potentially take a 5-3 lead. But Kristina fought off and saved all those points, ended up breaking Kowase and winning the longest game of the match that had about 10 deuces to tie it 4-4. From there Kristina held and broke Kowase a 3rd time to win the 1st set 6-4. So Kristina was repeatedly on the edge of being down 3-5 but didn't give in and instead ended up winning the next 3 games straight to win the 1st set.

- Kristina is up 1-0 in the 2nd when it starts to rain. The bad news would be if the match had to be finished indoors, a surface the Georgia player is more familiar with. Plus indoors doesn't offer streaming video. Hopefully they dry the courts and can finish the match outdoors.

- The 2 players Kristina could potentially play in the next round is scheduled in the latest slot of the day and any long delays cuts into their recovery time before playing the 2nd round scheduled for tomorrow at noon local time. That could benefit Kristina if she advances to the next round.

- Cal Poly's #30 Andre Dome def. Georgia Tech's #44 Juan Spir 6-3,6-2 in the men's 1st round. Big congrats to him.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:07 AM   #240
country flag gouci

Re: NCAA singles 1st round

Maho Kowase (Georgia) def. Kristina Smith (UCI) 4-6,7-6,6-3

- Kristina wins 7 of the first 11 games when it was played outdoors. Then she only wins 8 of the next 21 games when it was moved indoors. It's very tough in the middle of a match to change to another playing surface you're not familiar with. This is a unique situation under college tennis. In pro tennis they probably wouldn't change surfaces during a match. They would just close the retractable roof or wait until the courts dry off.

- Outdoor courts are hard and fast while indoor courts are made of carpet and play slower. Georgia has both indoor and outdoor courts that they practice and play matches on. Southern California schools and the area in general don't have any indoor courts.

- Kristina had a great showing just winning a set. She has set the bench mark that returning players like Marivick Mamiit and Sarah Gong and other UCI future #1 singles players can aspire too.

- Good luck to Kristina as she plays on a German club team this summer.