Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 162 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #2416
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Shvedova isn't exactly a bad draw. There are far worse in this draw. Caro has to at least be making R3 in this sort of draw if she wants to be in contention for Istanbul after Wimbledon.
Nothing wrong with Caroline's early draws. The draws arent the reason she's losing early in over half her 2013 tournaments.
She has to play better. Has to start better than down 1-5 against Muguruza, and has to finish better than losing the last 5 games vs Voegele or 1-6 2nd set vs CSN.
Play well for a complete match and these early draws are fine.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #2417
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Don't belong to Twitter(and can't imagine doing so,given how often tenistas and others share their ignorant political biases),but I occasionally notice tweets on the right side of the WTA's main page.....and noticed Caro wishing her love a happy birthday.Has it been two full years yet(i.e.,24 months)?

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2418
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Don't belong to Twitter(and can't imagine doing so,given how often tenistas and others share their ignorant political biases),but I occasionally notice tweets on the right side of the WTA's main page.....and noticed Caro wishing her love a happy birthday.Has it been two full years yet(i.e.,24 months)?
She is wishing happy birthday to McIlroy, not their relationship.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2419
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,that was pretty damned obvious and wasn't even worth mentioning;my QUESTION was independent of the fact that it was Caro's bf's b-day.If nobody knows exactly how long it's been,no big deal....it just seemed like it was around springtime 2011 when Caro was in the 1st stages of that relationship,but my recollection may be faulty

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2420
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah,that was pretty damned obvious and wasn't even worth mentioning;my QUESTION was independent of the fact that it was Caro's bf's b-day.If nobody knows exactly how long it's been,no big deal....it just seemed like it was around springtime 2011 when Caro was in the 1st stages of that relationship,but my recollection may be faulty
They met 2nd July 2011. I doubt that is the day their relationship officially started though.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2421
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
They met 2nd July 2011. I doubt that is the day their relationship officially started though.
Thank you for correcting my mistake;my recollection was obviously faulty again.

Some posters seem to blame Caro's bf as if he had magical powers that ruined some previously-perfect concentration that Caroline had on tennis,but I think that wants for logic: If Caroline HAD had unshakable,rock-solid dedication,then no individual would have been able to take that from her...not even some guy who was dazzlingly,charismatically handsome(which is not how her bf is usually described).

As you've posted several times,the drive to be an elite champion is primarily INTERNAL so,IF Caroline doesn't have that(and that's only an 'if',for now),then it's not the fault of any bf or other specific external factor: If it hadn't been he,it would've been someone,or someTHING,else.

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2422
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if Caroline still had a champion's mind, having a boyfriend or trying to be aggressive wouldnt be a problem. Serena & Sharapova were off the tour with serious injuries. They had real excuses if they fell apart.
Caroline just doesn't play as well as she used to. Trying to be aggressive, having a boyfriend, or changing rackets isnt an excuse, or a reason, for such a career changing path that she's been on for 2 years

Old May 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2423
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, it's not Rory's fault that she's lost the step with the rest,but her own. Unlike her he actually did achieve big things in his career after they became a couple so if he can do it...
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2424
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping she can get back some semblance of consistency at Madrid. Absolutely awful results since IW which would have been inconceivable two years ago. Just no consistency now.

Quote:
As you've posted several times,the drive to be an elite champion is primarily INTERNAL so,IF Caroline doesn't have that(and that's only an 'if',for now),then it's not the fault of any bf or other specific external factor: If it hadn't been he,it would've been someone,or someTHING,else.
I think the biggest difference between pre-Rory and now is that when she lost before - it hurt her more. And I think that hurting her drove her hard with a passion to succeed. I'm sure that it still hurts now. But she has Rory to soften the blow so I don't think it can hurt her as much.

Quote:
Thank you,but I wonder what Caro means,precisely,by 'just too good'.If she means that someone in GOAT mode--or near it--is just too good,then that's understandable.However,it'd be pretty defeatist if any top player having a decent day were just too good for her.If THAT'S how she thinks,then she truly DOES lack the confidence to beat a Top 5 player unless said player is having a very off day.Were you able to deduce what she meant by that?
The thing she'd say about a player being too good if she lost (or lost a point or game) was something I really liked when she was climbing the rankings and when she was at her peak at #1. It goes hand in hand with the other quote that "I am hard to beat". It basically was a recognition that there were lots of players who have a peak game much better than Caro's and might have days when the stars were aligned and everything goes in and paints the lines. But she still rarely lost to them. That was because:
  1. Peaking for a few games or even a set is one thing. Maintaining your peak for a whole match when your opponent is giving you nothing and making you work doubly hard every point is quite another.
  2. Caro's game back then just made it hard for a player to be at their peak and sustain it.
It's rather like the saying that to be a good poker player - you have to accept you are going to lose sometimes. Without that acceptance - you can't be a good poker player. She just says this now because that's what she's always said and that attitude worked.

The problem now is that the scenario is different. Her game has gone South. She's lost so many matches that so many players are too good for her. These matches she is losing - she wouldn't have been losing before. It really doesn't matter what she says. It's going to be hard for her to say anything right that's not picked on when she's losing like this. The basic problem is that she and her team have not been able to figure out how to play as well as she did when it really was difficult to beat her.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : May 5th, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2425
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Hoping she can get back some semblance of consistency at Madrid. Absolutely awful results since IW which would have been inconceivable two years ago. Just no consistency now.

I think the biggest difference between pre-Rory and now is that when she lost before - it hurt her more. And I think that hurting her drove her hard with a passion to succeed. I'm sure that it still hurts now. But she has Rory to soften the blow so I don't think it can hurt her as much.

The thing she'd say about a player being too good if she lost (or lost a point or game) was something I really liked when she was climbing the rankings and when she was at her peak at #1. It goes hand in hand with the other quote that "I am hard to beat". It basically was a recognition that there were lots of players who have a peak game much better than Caro's and might have days when the stars were aligned and everything goes in and paints the lines. But she still rarely lost to them. That was because:
  1. Peaking for a few games or even a set is one thing. Maintaining your peak for a whole match when your opponent is giving you nothing and making you work doubly hard every point is quite another.
  2. Caro's game back then just made it hard for a player to be at their peak and sustain it.
It's rather like the saying that to be a good poker player - you have to accept you are going to lose sometimes. Without that acceptance - you can't be a good poker player. She just says this now because that's what she's always said and that attitude worked.

The problem now is that the scenario is different. Her game has gone South. She's lost so many matches that so many players are too good for her. These matches she is losing - she wouldn't have been losing before. It really doesn't matter what she says. It's going to be hard for her to say anything right that's not picked on when she's losing like this. The basic problem is that she and her team have not been able to figure out how to play as well as she did when it really was difficult to beat her.
At times she plays close to her 2011 spring form. Like Miami 2012, or Dubai-IW 2013. Maybe not as good, but close enough. But then she falls way back, like she's doing now. She comes into this match with losses to Muguruza, Voegele, CSN, in her last 4 matches. She was winning half her tournaments, over 80% of the times in a SF. So this is the new reality. It might be months before she is in a SF again

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #2426
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Ok draw for Caro. It could be better, it could be worse. A 3rd round would be a pretty good result based on the draw.

Good luck Caro.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #2427
country flag goldenlox

Thats 5 losses in her last 7 matches.
She played Stuttgart and Madrid without winning a set in either.
Who saw this coming 2 years ago? She doesnt even care anymore

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #2428
country flag ozza

The sad thing is I come into this clay court season thinking it can't possibly be any worse than last year, but apparently it can .
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #2429
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

losses to non-top 20 players:

2012: 7
2013(May): 8

her performance was...
KleineBiere is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2430
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

worst career result in:

miami
charleston
stuttgart
madrid

will she be a top 8 seed in rome?
KleineBiere is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread