Who Is Greater?: Clijsters vs. Sharapova - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is greater?

Kim Clijsters 88 55.70%
Maria Sharapova 70 44.30%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #31
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who Is Greater?: Clijsters vs. Sharapova

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andrew. View Post
I forgot about doubles, Kim really was a fantastic doubles player. Kim and Ai

When you add doubles it's really no contest
Um no because Sharapova doesn't play doubles so it doesn't count in this argument for anything...someone back me up here Mashatards...
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #32
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a stupid and random thread considering Masha is still an active tennis player
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #33
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
Even though I know that was sarcasm

in·val·u·a·ble
Adjective
Extremely useful; indispensable: "an invaluable source of information".
Synonyms
priceless - inestimable - inappreciable

So what was the point of this comment if you knew it was sarcasm...? It's not like you've got one over anyone.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #34
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Kim as of now. By the end of Maria's career, her résumé will be the better one(presuming she stays healthy). At 26, Kim had 2 Slams, Maria has four and a whole year till she turns 27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
total bully

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #35
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
So what was the point of this comment if you knew it was sarcasm...? It's not like you've got one over anyone.
If you don't get the point Im not gonna explain it to you.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #36
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloque View Post
Like I said. CGS gets the edge in some eyes. For me, defending a slam and winning 2 in a row looks more impressive than winning one every 2 years (or more).

For the rest, most stats are stupid to compare anyway as Kim's career has been quite short and much disturbed by injuries and her first retirement. She played less than Maria. And the part where she played a lot was in a much stronger era.
That is for you personally, I think nearly all players would rather have one of each.

Kim's retirement was her own choice, she doesn't get to be considered in hypotheticals such as 'if she didn't retire..'
Maria has been a top player since 2004, Kim since 2001. Yes, Kim was unlucky with injuries but it's not as if Maria's shoulder wasn't either, it effectively took 3 years of top tennis off her career. So Maria's time playing top tennis hasn't been much longer than Kim's.

Maria also played the same players Kim did, she just managed to win more Slams against them.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #37
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
That is for you personally, I think nearly all players would rather have one of each.

Kim's retirement was her own choice, she doesn't get to be considered in hypotheticals such as 'if she didn't retire..'
Maria has been a top player since 2004, Kim since 2001. Yes, Kim was unlucky with injuries but it's not as if Maria's shoulder wasn't either, it effectively took 3 years of top tennis off her career.

Maria also played the same players Kim did, she just managed to win more Slams against them.
I never said anything like "if she didn't retire" The fact that despite a shorter career, career that was hampered by a lot of things once she hit 20 (2003 being the last year when Kim was healthy enough to play the 4 slams), she still has equal or superior stats over Maria in almost all stats, is telling a lot. Kim playing less had a stronger impact on tour than Maria did

Kim's biggest part of career was between 2001 and 2007, which is a stronger era than the actual one, so a stronger era than the one Maria is facing for already 5 years. The fact that Kim managed to win 3 more slams in her second career showed how that era was weaker. That's just a fact. So yes, their career stats can't be compared.

And the last argument is so weak. Nobody chose a slam draw. So the "more slams against them" is just stupid. They won the same number of slams, period.
TT Titles - Wimbledon 2013 - Saint Gaudens 2013 - Charlottesville 2013 // TT Doubles Titles - Osaka 2013 (w/Matthias) - St Martin 2013 - Orlando 2013 - Sibenik 2013 - Charlottesville 2013 and the Nantes Challenger YEC 2013 (w/CharmedRic) // Other titles : Brisbane 2014 (Suicide) - Australian Open 2014 (Tipping)

Azarenka - Garcia - Halep - Bartoli - Clijsters
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #38
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Um no because Sharapova doesn't play doubles so it doesn't count in this argument for anything...someone back me up here Mashatards...
moreover we are not in the Doubles Forum , and of course we are talking only about Singles

As for the topic, it's no contest since both have 4 Slams and only one has Career Slam , what puts Sharapova above all the rest 4 Slam winners.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #39
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never said anything like "if she didn't retire" The fact that despite a shorter career, career that was hampered by a lot of things once she hit 20 (2003 being the last year when Kim was healthy enough to play the 4 slams), she still has equal or superior stats over Maria in almost all stats, is telling a lot. Kim playing less had a stronger impact on tour than Maria did

Kim's biggest part of career was between 2001 and 2007, which is a stronger era than the actual one, so a stronger era than the one Maria is facing for already 5 years. That's just a fact.

And the last argument is so weak. Nobody chose a slam draw. So the "more slams against them" is just stupid. They won the same number of slams, period.
You said that Kim's retirement cut her career short and effected her title count, which is basically the same as saying 'if she didn't retire...'
You can present those arguments about injuries, not Slams.

It was you who brought up the players Kim faced to make her seem >>>>>, I just mentioned that Maria played those same players from 2004 - 2008 too. The difference being Maria won 3 against them vs Kim's one.

Also her career wasn't really that much shorter, she participated in 29 Slams as a top player to Maria's 34, and that's including '09 and '10 when it was evident that Maria's game was still very much hampered by the shoulder.

Last edited by jameshazza : May 4th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
jameshazza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #40
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You said that Kim's retirement cut her career short and effected her title count, which is basically the same as saying 'if she didn't retire...'

It was you who brought up the players Kim faced to make her seem >>>>>, I just mentioned that Maria played those same players from 2004 - 2008 too. The difference being Maria won 3 against them vs Kim's one.
Yes, Kim's 3 of 4 Slams are opportunistic, while Masha's only 1 Slam was won during weak WTA

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #41
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Never said it affected her title count. I said that her career was shorter, it's a fact. I did not say that she would have more titles without her retirement. And her title count is doing well enough compared to Maria, retirement or not.

I talked about the era as a whole for the stats, never talked about any player faced in a slam win
TT Titles - Wimbledon 2013 - Saint Gaudens 2013 - Charlottesville 2013 // TT Doubles Titles - Osaka 2013 (w/Matthias) - St Martin 2013 - Orlando 2013 - Sibenik 2013 - Charlottesville 2013 and the Nantes Challenger YEC 2013 (w/CharmedRic) // Other titles : Brisbane 2014 (Suicide) - Australian Open 2014 (Tipping)

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #42
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

The one who beat Serena and Justine in GS finals.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #43
country flag .Andrew.

.Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But is it Clijsters' fault that Maria hasn't played much doubles? If anything, it further shows why Clijsters is by far the superior athlete and player when she was completely healthy, let alone the superior career
.Andrew. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #44
country flag jameshazza

Quote:
Never said it affected her title count. I said that her career was shorter, it's a fact. I did not say that she would have more titles without her retirement. And her title count is doing well enough compared to Maria, retirement or not.

I talked about the era as a whole for the stats, never talked about any player faced in a slam win
You said Kim's stats are effected by her injuries and first retirement which cut her career short. You can make an argument about taking the injuries into account when discussing her stats but not her retirement, that was her own doing.

Also you can't talk about the era played in to make Kim's stats seem greater if you are wishing to disregard the most important stats, the Slam ones, in which Maria comes out on top within the same era.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #45
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
The one who beat Serena and Justine in GS finals.
So Kim couldn't have been a better player because she never faced Serena in a slam final ?

At the end of the day, the both beat Serena once in a slam. And Kim beat Henin three times in a slam, Maria 2.