Should Venus play more International events? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Vee play more international events?

No,She should aim for for bigger events only 3 27.27%
Yes,easier wins for her +match play+points 7 63.64%
No,too much playing for her body 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1
country flag acelovesvenus

acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of
Should Venus play more International events?

This may seem kinda random but as I watched Schiavone finally win another tournament today,I couldn't help but wish Venus was playing.She's played two international events within the last year,winning one and reaching the semi-final in the other one.The international events are a good way for Venus to get a lot of match play,and quite honestly easy ranking points and titles to add to her collection.Some may see it as vulturing,as Venus' level is still quite good enough to compete for the bigger events,but I think each win would be well earned.I know she's suppose to play Bastad and I assume,try to defend her Luxembourg title but what do you guys think?Do you guys think Vee should play more international events?
acelovesvenus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should Venus play more International events?

No. 2 to 3 International events that she plays is enough. She needs to play more Premiers. The weak premier events is what she needs to enter. Tier II used to be her place to bring home the trophies, but since the switch to the Premier system in beginning of 2009, she has only played 5 Premiers in the 5 seasons they existed (2009 Charleston, 2009 Stanford, 2011 Eastbourne, 2012 Charleston, 2013 Charleston). Paris, Dubai, Stanford/San Diego are events that she could have great success at, but she doesn't choose to actually play them. Paris and San Diego get relatively weak fields, while Dubai and Stanford are perfect for Vee's game and she has great past glory memories there.

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 28th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to Florianopolis?

Id rather have her losing to Serena than to someone who got double bagelled by Sharapova 3-4 weeks prior to their encounter in the semis...

She went on a tier III rampage back irc 2007 fall... she won seoul, lost in japan final to razzano and guanzhou? sf to pennetta...

had she gone to Linz, Zurich, Moscow instead... its another story...
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
country flag Queen_Vee_92

Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
No. 2 to 3 International events that she plays is enough. She needs to play more Premiers. The weak premier events is what she needs to enter. Tier II used to be her place to bring home the trophies, but since the switch to the Premier system in beginning of 2009, she has only played 5 Premiers in the 5 seasons they existed (2009 Charleston, 2009 Stanford, 2011 Eastbourne, 2012 Charleston, 2013 Charleston). Paris, Dubai, Stanford/San Diego are events that she could have great success at, but she doesn't choose to actually play them. Paris and San Diego get relatively weak fields, while Dubai and Stanford are perfect for Vee's game and she has great past glory memories there.
Agree with nearly all of this.

Luxembourg and Florinapolis were right to play because of how long she'd had off, and getting back into the swing of things at easier events, but wins here don't mean all that much, in terms of ranking points and prize money, and certainly don't give her match time against the very best which is what she needs regularly to be competing again.

Post Wimbledon for example she should really play Stanford and San Diego and maybe have a couple of great weeks, skip Canada where she's never played well anyway and get a week off before Cincy. Moscow is another event that she should play if she only does 1 in the fall. The court is slow as hell but the field is Russian heavy and not that deep.

Quote:
Each tournament is important for me, ... Each tournament would do something to my ranking and such kind of thing, step forward for the future. Also I think it's the opportunity, the opportunity to do what I love, to play my best, to play for the people who appreciate what I do.
(Venus Williams)
Queen_Vee_92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5
country flag Pump-it-UP
Senior Stan

Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute

No. She should be concentrating on her favorite big events where she can still perform well (Miami, Charleston, Rome, Wimbledon, USO Series, USO. Also Doha/Dubai if she can catch a break and stay healthy during February for once). I want her to stay fresh for those events. She should just play Internationals post-USO (or pre-AO ) since she doesn't seem to be a fan of the Tokyo/Beijing swing anyway.

Quebec City + Luxembourg would be perfect, but Quebec City gets fucked over by the WTA's scheduling now and is the week after the USO.

GO AWAY Bitch!!! We don't want your Avon.
Pump-it-UP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #6
country flag acelovesvenus

acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of acelovesvenus has much to be proud of

You all made some good points.I definitely agree she should enter more premier events,as some of the fields are sooooooooo weak.Her Luxembourg victory,with wins over Petkovic,Vinci,Barthel,and Niculues,was harder than most premier events.Premier events would definitely give her much needed ranking points too.With that being said the expression on her face when she sat down after winning Luxembourg was priceless.I would love to see that again.And though she lost in the semis of Brasil,she's won 9/10 international matches within those 2 tournaments.I would just love to see her adding more trophies to her showcase,as getting to 50 titles would be a big milestone.And international events would help her do this and also give her confidence.
acelovesvenus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
country flag Maddox
No Acid in this house

Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute

NO!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8
country flag VenuStan

VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all VenuStan is a name known to all

If she wants to get back to the Top 10 as she continues to say, then she needs to play more Premier/Premier 5/Premier Mandatory tournaments. Hopefully she plays either Tokyo or Beijing this year (doubtful). She can still play a couple of International events, just to add a trophy or two, but her sights need to be set on the bigger stages where she can do well and not on smaller tournaments.
VenuStan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #9
country flag Z1988

Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of

Good question. In my opinion, no. She may need to play two or three internationals per season (like what she is doing right now anyway) and treat these tournaments as warm-ups for the bigger events (or maybe revenge kind of thing in the later part of the season). Her focus should be, as mentioned several times above, on her favorite bigger (Grandslam/Premier Mandatory/Premier 5) tournaments. The glory of winning an International or a weak Premier isn't the same as a big title glory, obviously. But of course if she needs to choose between an International or a weak Premier, she should choose the weak Premier .
Z1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #10
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know why she played way less Tier 1s during her peak years.
She was concentrating more on playing those Tier IIs. I bet she would've won more big titles than Sharapova n Henin had she played those...

No offence, don't know if its fair to say this...due to professionalism etc... but of Venus caliber and status and other elite members of the society, I think they should mainly focus on the big titles and let the other players have a chance of glory by winning the lower tier tournaments, rather than the elites vulturing the MMs...
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #11
country flag adamserenavenus

adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold

I think it would be a good decision if Venus plays in Eastbourne and get some matches right before Wimbledon.
adamserenavenus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #12
country flag Z1988

Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of Z1988 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
No offence, don't know if its fair to say this...due to professionalism etc... but of Venus caliber and status and other elite members of the society, I think they should mainly focus on the big titles and let the other players have a chance of glory by winning the lower tier tournaments, rather than the elites vulturing the MMs...
I think they are (focusing on the big titles). Even the WTA has made a rule regarding this. They limit the number of MMs (international) tournaments a top 10 player can play in a year.
Z1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #13
country flag leftbrian

leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future

With the exception of last year, Venus is never one to chase points. So there is no reason for her to play more international events. She is more likely to play the same tourneys she likes year after year. I'm dying to see her win a hard court title in the U.S.!! Bring back 00-02 summers please, V !
leftbrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM   #14
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happy for Venus to win anything, though I'd prefer her winning MMs like Luxembourg rather than Florianapolis. Luxembourg had a decent field, has a bit of history (and used to be a bigger tournament) I agree that Venus needs to be a bit more strategic about her schedule. I'd like to see her enter events like Paris, San Diego and Eastbourne and maybe an MM or Brisbane before the AO. I'd also like to see her try to counterbalance any early exits from slams. If she were to lose early in New York, I'd like to see her enter Quebec (maybe not if she were playing doubles) I'd also like to see her specifically aim to win an international so that she could enter Bali and take home that relatively big title.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote