Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 147 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2191
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Just a little update from me: I haven't managed to catch Caro on the practice court until now so no photos yet. I'll be taking some shots of her match tomorrow but the CC really sucks for taking photos as the stands are rather far away from the court and elevated as well. Practice pics would turn out much nicer so fingers crossed

Unfortunately the tournament is unwilling to release the practice schedule so it's a matter of being there at the right time. For some reason Sharapova's always there when I check...I think that's faith mocking me...

Anyways, I have two little Caro-related anecdotes to share: I had the chance to go backstage at the tournament today (not going to elaborate on how that happened ) and as I was standing around, Caro and the golfer walked in (he IS tiny ). I didn't have the courage to get the camera out though as I didn't want to be that creepy guy...plus there were lots of securities around and they probably would have kicked my ass
Thanks

Quote:
Ran into her on site another time as well, she's always friendly with everyone, not too many people are bugging her (you should see the frenzy that breaks loose when Sharapova turns up..it's insane, old geezers behave like teenagers...).

Quote:
Also, yesterday I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two Adidas suits (they sounded like higher ups from the tennis department.) It was interesting, they were talking about the Stella collection and the Adidas players etc.. Caro was mentioned too and damn, these guys are not happy with where she's heading. "Catastrophic" was one of the words used... apparently Adidas pretty much expects her to make the YEC this year...

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 !
rucolo is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #2192
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
What do we make of this quote from Caro on whether she should have given her coaches more time :-
"In hindsight, I should have done that. On the other hand, it was a good experience for me. I need to take the high road, and I'm too good of a player to try out things. I just knew it wasn't right. It didn't feel right and it wasn't the right time. Mentally, I needed someone there and it's fine when they can push me a bit, but everyone needs different things and I know what I need."
If we're talking about Sanchez and Johanson, it's worth noticing, Sanchez just got himself fired again .. Which makes it 20 sackings(?) in his career as a tennis coach. For whatever reason, he gets sacked quickly. It's not just difficult Caro.

Johanson didn't have the time. Too busy with other jobs, Stockholm Open, family and whatever. There was not point continuing.

IMHO.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2193
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
"Catastrophic" seems like quite an exaggeration to me assuming they actually did say that in relation to Caro and her results. An actual example of such a huge dropoff comes from Ana Ivanovic who at one point dropped out of the top 60.

Caro's results/play actually dropped off in the 2nd half of 2011 but because her point totals were so heavily skewed to the 1st half her ranking didn't suffer til she had to "defend" those 1st half points.

I don't care much about Caro's sponsorships. Caro's made enough money to be financially set for life already so losing sponsors doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
It may be an exaggeration but she did have a huge dropoff in her ranking and results without suffering any major injury. Of course her results had been lacking for several months before she actually lost the top ranking but once she lost it she just kept dropping and showed very few signs of ever getting back to the top five (her run in Miami being one, possibly the only, exception). She just kept dropping all year and didn't stabilise her ranking until late September/October. Since then she has been in the same spot and looks like she may struggle to even stay in the top ten. There is no direction or momentum to her career at the moment. For someone who recently ended the year as number one (twice!) things are looking very grim for her.

I disagree that she is set for life. True, she probably has enough money that she never needs to work again but what kind of lifestyle has she become accustomed to? I'm not a car guy but the car she was seen driving in recent posts in the picture thread looks pretty expensive to me as do the shopping bags she was carrying. Over the last several years she has probably become used to a life of luxury and if she wants to maintain that lifestyle sponsorships are very important. There are plenty of examples of "rich" athletes who burn through all of their earnings quickly and end up "poor." I'm not suggesting that will happen to Caroline but it is certainly possible.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2194
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Tough draw for Caro but oh well. Given the surface I'm not expecting much.

Good luck Caro.
It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5. (Jeffrey Sinclair: Babylon 5: Season 1: Signs and Portents)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2195
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
"Catastrophic" seems like quite an exaggeration to me assuming they actually did say that in relation to Caro and her results. An actual example of such a huge dropoff comes from Ana Ivanovic who at one point dropped out of the top 60.

I don't care much about Caro's sponsorships. Caro's made enough money to be financially set for life already so losing sponsors doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Catastrophic may be an exaggeration, but it's easy to see why Adidas probably are not at all happy. Even some of their actions have pointed to this, wasn't she supposed to be signing an extension last year that seemingly never got signed? Diversifying the Stella range. Right now Kerber is giving their brand better exposure, and she's probably on maybe 10% of the money Caro is. I know we've discussed this before, but in my mind it's clear Caroline is meant to be Adidas' brand player. Instead the top of the womens game is saturated with Nike branded players, which is probably an even bigger kick in the teeth.

I imagine Caro still cares about losing a big chunk of sponsorship money, even if she is in theory set for life already. Probably worse is the decline of her stock, there is less interest in her. On the one hand you could say it's a good thing to make her focus, on the other hand I doubt she enjoys playing matches at big events on parking lot court 2.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2196
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I disagree that she is set for life. True, she probably has enough money that she never needs to work again but what kind of lifestyle has she become accustomed to? I'm not a car guy but the car she was seen driving in recent posts in the picture thread looks pretty expensive to me as do the shopping bags she was carrying. Over the last several years she has probably become used to a life of luxury and if she wants to maintain that lifestyle sponsorships are very important. There are plenty of examples of "rich" athletes who burn through all of their earnings quickly and end up "poor." I'm not suggesting that will happen to Caroline but it is certainly possible.
Caro also has a pretty rich boyfriend I hear .
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2197
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Caro also has a pretty rich boyfriend I hear .
Boyfriend, not husband. When/if he puts a ring on her finger maybe she can relax a bit. Rory did have a girlfriend before Caroline and he may have one after her.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #2198
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Lets see how the red clay season goes. I guess the best thing for Caroline now is to look long range.
Use 2013 to try to get back to the YEC. Maybe top 5 by end of 2014...
But she needs more consistency, especially the big tournaments. Lost to Sveta at AO, lost to Muguruza at Miami. Very good IW.
So 2 of the 3 biggest tournaments this year, she lost to a noncontender. Thats an area she has to improve, even if the old days are gone forever, she needs her best at the biggest hardcourt tournamnets
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2199
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
She will not lose this one, my awesome statgenius. No way!
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2200
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

She lost to Voegele, now 67 16 to CSN.
A lot of this is her desire to win. She used to win the most matches on the tour. The fight to win is not what it used to be. She had it at IW, but since then, no fight.

I think a lot of these losses, being aggressive just gives her an excuse to say "I'm working on something" while she loses and loses.

I go back to her team and her dad. They screwed up a good player, and now she doesnt care enough anymore
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2201
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what Jimmie's Adidas suits are thinking now.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #2202
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I wonder what Jimmie's Adidas suits are thinking now.
When does her contract end most probably .

In all seriousness, it was said at the time, but I don't see how coming into the clay season with 1 weeks practice was ever going to be a good idea. I guess she has 2 weeks now before Madrid, I don't have much confidence though, Caro's first matches probably won't even be televised there, so maybe we won't get to see it.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2203
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately when i saw her draw CSN/Vinci i sort of expected an early loss here. I thought she would atleast win the first match but it just goes to show how bad her game has declined.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #2204
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Do U guys think she ever get it back together and play at high level again or even improve her game ?
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2205
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Do U guys think she ever get it back together and play at high level again or even improve her game ?
I have my doubts. I've been having doubts for quite some time now, but at least I had some hope as well. But if the attitude she showed today is anything to go by, it's as good as over. Very negative, I know, but I prefer to be open to a pleasant surprise rather than to Always hope for the best and be disappointed time after time.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread