Masha:the best active clay court player - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #136
country flag NadalSharapova

NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all
Re: Masha:the best active clay court player

I agree we cant say Maria is dominant on clay with rome titles and 1 french open. However if she wins this year french open then we can say she is starting to become dominant on clay. Lets wait and see!
NadalSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #137
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowking View Post
At this point in time, yeah she's probably the best clay court player around and has the results to back it up. Can't take that away from her. The upcoming clay season could see someone else rise to the top though, it'll be interesting.

I don't buy the bullshit about Maria "not having a clay game", people are so narrow-minded in their view if they think clay = you must play a high-spin and variety game to be successful. Clay does reward that kind of play because it in general rewards working the point more than other surfaces. But brutal and consistent power hitting from side to side is also a way to work the point, and Maria is quite good at that. Monica Seles anyone? She was amazing on clay because she could just keep up the assault from her heavy groundstrokes and mow her opponents down. She didn't need all these spin tactics and slices to do the job, but you won't see people saying that Monica didn't have a good clay game...

It'll be interesting to see who rises to the top during the clay season, there are a lot of contenders. Sharapova, Williams, Li, and Azarenka should all be in the thick of it.
YAAAAAAS! Preach. There's much more to claycourt tennis than cute dropshots (Copyright Corswandt).

Les reines de Paris.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #138
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
I see..of course it's all relative. Serena's and Maria's peak even athletically aren't comparable.
Besides even THIS Serena who isn't prime Serena athletic wise, is a better athlete than Maria is NOW.

But nice try though.
yet you do it. Apples & oranges, but as usual you just cant accept it.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #139
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
While her clay game has improved, it has more to do with the fact that the other players just suck on the dirt.
She just realized that if Seles could be an incredible threat on clay, if Pierce could do very well on clay, so can she. power and precision in attack from both wings, perfect footwork is a lethal combination for clay. Essentially, slower surface helps to cover for her single most important liability - lack of footspeed and defensive ability - just like it was with Seles or Pierce or Safina for that matter. And her height really helps her to deal with few remaining top-spinners like Stosur here.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #140
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Henin ain't got shit on Claypova.
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #141
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalSharapova View Post
I agree we cant say Maria is dominant on clay with rome titles and 1 french open. However if she wins this year french open then we can say she is starting to become dominant on clay. Lets wait and see!
Yeah, a player who won 4 out of 8 prime ( Tier 2 and higher ) red clay events in last 2 years is not dominant. Still, the best by far. And you know what is interesting? I believe Sharapova-2013 is a better, more confident player than Sharapova-2012.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #142
country flag Proflyer98

Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of Proflyer98 has much to be proud of

jankovic Is the best!!!
Proflyer98 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #143
country flag Joe.

Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
Only dreaming pova fans believe that crass. Admit it, Pova was lucky last year to play Errani in FO final and not Li Na or Serena. We shall see soon how valid your assertion is. Dominance means a lot more than winning 1 slam on a surface. Multiple slams (and not just 2) on any surface is the ultimate crown for any player wanting to be regarded as "dominant" on that surface. In all her career to date, pova has only won 1 FO just like Serena and it took her more years than Serena to do so. No where have I heard or seen Serena fans label Serena as "dominant" on clay just for winning 1 slam on it. True dominance connotes more than 2 and I do not give a ratz how many Romes a player wins. 10 Romes still do not = 1 FO slam. That is the reality no matter how u hate it.

Talking of real true dominant player on clay, Henin is it with 5 FOs. Do u want to mention Nadal? Dominance on other surfaces: Serena 5 Wimbledon, 4 USO, 6 AO, 6 Miami. This is what is called "being dominant" on a surface without any excuse. Like others before pova bar Henin, pova still is no better on the red dirt than Serena, Li Nah, Francesca Schiavone, Myskina, Ivanovich, Kuznetsova etc. Sorry to disappoint u, fact remains there is serious lack of evidence to support the borrowed robes u dressing pova in.

And how much do u want to bet that pova will repeat in Paris?

Lastly, it wasn't long ago that desperate pova fans asserted in every way possible just like now that pova was "Queen of Grass", "Queen of USO", "Queen of AO" except something big was missing in the whole charade.....multiple slams titles on each surface to support the baseless bs. Hmmmmmm, here they go again with FO. May I help u to say it, "pova is Queen of FO", happy now?
She has two HC Grand slams?

All the poster was stating that over the past two years, Maria has been the most dominant on clay. If you disagree with that then you have no intelligence and clearly haven't followed tennis over the past couple of years. Maria has won Roland Garros, 2 Rome titles, Stuttgart and Strasbourg since 2011. That's 5 CC titles which is more than any other player. Period.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #144
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blongislong View Post
Man, I can't wait for Serena and Masha to play for a big red clay title. I just hope the fan base of the loser will accept the loss graciously. Who the hell am I kidding. lol
Ha!

Les reines de Paris.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #145
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Venus Williams beat A LOT of CLAY COURT PLAYERS.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #146
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Some Williams get so pathetic when another player gets praise. It's irritating. Get over, Serena and Venus are great players and do not need any pettiness from their fans to be great.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #147
country flag Let.them.talk

Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
There are a lot of players with good results on clay but that doesn't mean they are great clay court players. Maria is simply not a clay court player. No part of her game is designed for a clay court. Players who play on clay well, usually have more spin, variety, are great athletes and are great movers on the surface. The fact remains is that there really are not any great clay court players on the tour like Justine anymore. So the top players still come out on top usually or can be taken by surprise on any given day.

Maria winning on clay does not translate to her being a great clay courter. What great clay courter did Maria go through to win the French? What helps Maria on clay is the fact that her movement cannot be exploited as easily, therefore she has more time to set up for her shots.

I would say Fran is a good clay court player but she's been injured. Errani is good on the surface but can still get over powered. I would say that Maria has had very good success on clay by imposing her game but will never be a true clay court player.
Agree with this

I think "the active player with the best results on clay" is better than "the best active clay court player" in this case. I'm pretty sure you can't say that the first thing that comes to your mind when you think about clay winners is Maria. Names that come inmediately are names like Justine, in this days maybe Errani, players that actually play on clay every time they can.
Let.them.talk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #148
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
There are a lot of players with good results on clay but that doesn't mean they are great clay court players. Maria is simply not a clay court player. No part of her game is designed for a clay court. Players who play on clay well, usually have more spin, variety, are great athletes and are great movers on the surface. The fact remains is that there really are not any great clay court players on the tour like Justine anymore. So the top players still come out on top usually or can be taken by surprise on any given day.

Maria winning on clay does not translate to her being a great clay courter. What great clay courter did Maria go through to win the French? What helps Maria on clay is the fact that her movement cannot be exploited as easily, therefore she has more time to set up for her shots.

I would say Fran is a good clay court player but she's been injured. Errani is good on the surface but can still get over powered. I would say that Maria has had very good success on clay by imposing her game but will never be a true clay court player.
Yeah, but it's not like you ever give Maria any credit so...

Les reines de Paris.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #149
country flag acetoace

acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroalltheway View Post
Henin ain't got shit on Claypova.

I'm sure you don't believe what you said. The one and only Clay GOAT left the tour 2yrs, came back and still woop on pova on clay's grandest stage. "Henin ain't got shit on pova"?.....what a joke!
acetoace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #150
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

I just vomited a little into my tea as I saw this title.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote