Serve and Volley-40's tennis - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #121
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

I got to see Margreat O du Pont play doubles at the East Coast Grass Court Championships, in Orange New Jersey, in the early sixties. She was still a great doubles player and had a great second serve. She put so much spin on the ball that there was sort of a swishing sound when the racket hit the ball. I lived nearby the club and got to see several tope players of that era: BJK, Karen Susman, Margreat Smith, Eda Buding among others. That was an important tune up for Forest Hills back then.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #122
country flag praise him

praise him is an unknown quantity at this point

Joe, would love to talk with you about your great uncle Joe Hunt and my mother Jacque and any info you might have on their life together.
praise him is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #123
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Joe

Welcome to the Blast from the Past

The link for the Riggs-Hunt pic is http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ec7...3ec569_landing

I wish I could provide more, but other than the exact link it appears to be a dead end.

Your uncle's tragic early death touched a real chord in many hearts. Have you seen this article by bud Collins in Sports illustrated? This article also mentions Jacque and Pike, who I am happy to see also saw your post.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8090/index.htm

Please feel welcome to post about your uncle in this space. Several of us would love to know more about him.

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 6th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #124
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I got to see Margreat O du Pont play doubles at the East Coast Grass Court Championships, in Orange New Jersey, in the early sixties. She was still a great doubles player and had a great second serve. She put so much spin on the ball that there was sort of a swishing sound when the racket hit the ball. I lived nearby the club and got to see several tope players of that era: BJK, Karen Susman, Margreat Smith, Eda Buding among others. That was an important tune up for Forest Hills back then.
It sure was a big event Thrust. Thanks for sharing that with us. I was lucky enough recently to visit Bellevue, the palatial estate that Margaret And Will Dupont lived on. The grass courts she played on are now clay, but other than that much of the grounds look the same as in her heydey of the 1940s.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #125
country flag Joseph Hunt

Joseph Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hello Joe

Welcome to the Blast from the Past

The link for the Riggs-Hunt pic is http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ec7...3ec569_landing

I wish I could provide more, but other than the exact link it appears to be a dead end.

Your uncle's tragic early death touched a real chord in many hearts. Have you seen this article by bud Collins in Sports illustrated? This article also mentions Jacque and Pike, who I am happy to see also saw your post.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8090/index.htm

Please feel welcome to post about your uncle in this space. Several of us would love to know more about him.
dear Rollo,

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I will try to provide some information about my great-uncle. Although he died before I was born, I have had the opportunity through the years to meet with Bobby Riggs and Jack Kramer and I have read through about 13 scrapbooks that were put together by his mother, Teresa Raphael Hunt. Joe accomplished a great deal in the sport, even though his career was significantly disrupted by the war years and his service in the Navy. He was projected to be one of the best of his era and Jack Kramer told me that he lost his greatest rival. He said if Joe had not died at age 25, it would have been Jack and Joe battling each other for the top ranking in the world. Joe has a remarkable distinction as being the only player in history to have one every national singles title available beginning with the boys 15 (or 16) and under, having one the 15's, Junior Men's 18's, Intercollegiate, and Men's National Championships. I have some photos I can post if I can figure out how to make them smaller in size. I will work on that.
Joseph Hunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #126
country flag praise him

Joe, this is Pike Rowley. I recently purchased a book written by Pat Yeomans called Southern California Tennis Champions Centennial. In it she has told me more about my mother, Jacque Virgil, and her prior life than I ever knew. She married Lawrence Nelson, Joe Hunt's college teammate at USC, in 1939 then after divorcing Nelson, married your great uncle, Joe Hunt, in 1941. They were married for two years before he died. I have an extensive scrap book on Joe and their life together and numerous sympathy telegrams from many famous tennis players in the day. My mother died in 1975 and never told me about her marriage to Nelson. When I was very young Joe's mother, we called her Beau (pronounced Bee-You), visited our home in Coral Gables, Florida and my Mom was very close to her and Joe's sister Marian. Marian had 3 sons Robert, Charlie and Joey and I knew them well when they visited their summer home in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Please tell me your relationship to Joe Hunt as I am very curious. Thanks.
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #127
country flag Joseph Hunt

Joseph Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Pike,

Thank you for your message. I am not very adept with blogging and am just learning how to use this website, so it appears that a message I posted to go to you did not work and that you never received it. I'm sorry about that. I will try to re-write some of the post. I also remember meeting Beau as a child in Northern California when she was in a nursing home. It is amazing that you also knew that she was known by all of us as B-U. I was too young to have meaningful conversations, but I certainly remember her. I have also met Marian in her later years and her son, Bob and daughter Mimi several times. Marian died several years ago.

I will try to get a copy of the Yoeman book. I never knew that Jacque's first husband was one of Joe's former USC teammates. Wow! that must have been interesting. If Joe married your mother in 1941 (and that sounds right from what I have read) then they were married 4 years (or close to it) as Joe died on February 2, 1945. I have 13 scrapbooks on Joe, which I have poured over through the years. There are a number of pictures of your mom and Joe. She was a beautiful woman. There is one story passed down through the family. Your mom and Joe dated before her first marriage. in 1936, when they were about 18, Joe was playing in the finals of the National Jr. Men's final against a player named John Moreno. Just before the match, he learned that Jacque went into the hospital to have an emergency appendectomy. Apparently, he was so concerned that he ran off the court during the change-overs to call the hospital and find out how she was doing. Needless to say, he could not keep his focus and lost the match! Not to worry though, he came back and won the same tournament the next year.

Do you still live in Florida? I would love to meet you or talk with you about your mother and Joe. And someday I would hope to see your scrapbook. I hope that you keep save it. Did Jacque have any of Joe's trophies? One of my greatest regrets is that we have not been able to find very many, but I have some, including the miniature Davis Cup that he was given for playing on the team with Bobby Riggs, Frank Parker and Jack Kramer. I will also try to get some contact information for Marian's sons. I have not been in touch with any of them and have only met Bob, and that was about 5-6 years ago. Several years ago, I took my family to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The curator there showed us many old archives of tennis in the 1930-1940's but they were very interested in obtaining our 13 scrapbooks. That never happened, and so I still have all 13 and am trying to figure out how to properly preserve them.

Also, my exact relationship to Joe is that I am his great-nephew. Joe's brother, Charlie Hunt, is my grandfather. My father, Laurason Hunt, obviously named me after his uncle.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Joe
Joseph Hunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #128
country flag praise him

Joe, this is getting interesting. My Mom told me the story about her appendix. She was playing in the same tournament and coming out of an elevator in her hotel and they actually burst, which back then was usually fatal. I am trying to track down Pat Yeomans but at 95 I'm not sure if she is using email etc. but in her book she noted my Mom and her and Joe were good friends and often doubles partners. You can email me direct at pike.rowley@flaglerdev.com and we can communicate off line and exchange phone numbers etc. Thanks for responding.

Pike
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #129
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Gussy Moran in June 1949 photo shoot.
In the Makarova/Bartoli match, the male commentator reported that Gorgeous Gussy Moran died, and Elise Bergin noted that she was noted for her ruffly and lacy underwear, as this photo suggests. She didn't get very far in tennis, but she was definitely someone to be remembered.

She obviously had a lot of fun in the sport. RIP, Gussy.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #130
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A bump up for this thread.

I updated the bio of Eleanor Purdy Cushingham, sex bomb of the 1940s. Her pic and info may be found on page 7.

Binoxal has been posting some lovely pics and info about 40s ladies at his blog at:
http://archivesdutennisfeminin.over-blog.com/
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #131
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Louise Brough and Pauline Betz, 1944

During WWII, women wore the pants -- or rather, the shorts. U.S. tennis champ Louise Brough (l.) ditched the bulky skirts of the past for a much roomier alternative, while Pauline Betz flashed a little thigh with a skirt cut several inches above the knee.

Behind the ladies is the marquee at Forest Hills. The other 3 sides were part of the "bowl" that comprised the biggest permanent tennis stadium in the US until the change in venue to Flusing in 1978.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #132
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Gussie Moran, 1950

Gertrude Moran -- a.k.a. Gorgeous Gussie -- broke down even more fashion barriers at the Wimbledon tournament in 1949 when she famously wore a tennis skirt so short it showed off her ruffled knickers underneath. The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club deemed the look so vulgar that Moran stuck to shorts for later appearances. Here, she takes on Pauline Betz in New York City in 1950 wearing a playful pair of bottoms.