Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 130 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1936
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I dont think she's far away. After Dubai & IW I thought she had a good chance for top 4.
But she has to be more consistent. A few good clay tournaments would help
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1937
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yksi View Post
I don't know about Caroline's German skills (or lack thereof).

German is the second foreign language taught in Danish schools (after English), but most people outside Southern Jutland don't reach a level where they can converse in German. In Southern Jutland, the part of Denmark that borders on Germany, it's much more common that people can converse to a certain degree in German. Caroline was not raised in this part of Denmark, however.
Thanks for the info;my guess is that Caro knows some basic "tourist German" for whenever there's a tourney there....or else she just speaks English since normal,educated Germans are usually no worse than passable in that tongue(Kerber being an exception;you can understand what she's saying,but her vocabulary is pitifully limited."Play my best tennis" are 4 of the 50 words she seems to know).Can't recall how often Caro has done promo work at German tourneys,but I imagine that she's more popular than the majority of players there...even though--according to German posters--women's tennis has scant popularity in Deutschland

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1938
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
I wish I knew... I saw lots of positives in IW. I didn't bother with Miami because it was obviously not her court. Tactical awareness changes will take until the end of her career... The what are now marginal errors, at the rate she is improving, more or less under control by autumn? The key point mentality... When she wins at what ever level she reaches... or never... Historically she has a tendency to run into hurdles, bounce a few times, vanquish, and then go forth and conquer? It's all new ground to her now though... From personal experience when you reach the very top of your field you are left with nothing but a view... At that moment you need to reflect of the journey during the climb to hope to realise just exactly what and how you got there... Quite often what you though brought you success wasn't what brought it at all. It's quite a a vacuous mindfuck for a while.

Final guess is back to normal by AO 2014 after a really poor australian swing and a relatively successful Asian swing, and reaching full potential by 2017, but don't quote me.

You?
I dunno. I'm waiting for some sign that Caro's good execution of some shot or overall good matches aren't random anymore. She could have it turned around next season or still be playing inconsistently 4 years from now.

There are lots of players who can play a good match every now and a reasonable number who can play a good tournament occasionally. But playing good tournaments on a consistent basis isn't common and it isn't that often that somebody goes from inconsistent to consistent.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #1939
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
May I ask why Miami is not her court? Miami is an ultra slow hard court, ok it's not helping Caro hit through the court. But it should be very hard to hit through Caroline. Miami is a court made for defensive players (quite literally they are building it to benefit defensive players).
That kind of sounds like how clay is supposed to help out defenders against the big hitters.

I think Caro's ideal court conditions would be fast enough to help out her serve and groundies some while being slow enough that she can track down a ton of balls.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1940
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Serena has the advantage that she always comes in fresh vs a less fresh field. She's also normally the best player in the draw. It's not like Miami was always the ultra slow court it is now either so only really the recent years are relevant. Caro needs to be good on this kind of surface, because a lot of joint events are using this model for their court surface these days. Probably the worst thing being this new craze that events have of making the centre court a lot slower than the outside courts (which I personally don't think should be allowed, but is widely going on at the big hard court events now).
When was Miami not ultra slow? It's been that way for years as far as I can remember.

Cincy has traditionally been one of the fastest courts in the US Open series (faster than the US Open much of the time) although last year it didn't seem as fast to me. The US open has seemed slow to me the past two years. What's your impression of the court speeds in the US Open series?

The courts in Istanbul seemed too slow to me for Caro's game when she played the YEC there in 2011.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1941
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
That kind of sounds like how clay is supposed to help out defenders against the big hitters.

I think Caro's ideal court conditions would be fast enough to help out her serve and groundies some while being slow enough that she can track down a ton of balls.
There is couple of reasons why clay isn't necessarily a defensive players preferred surface. First one is movement, if you are a defensive player who grew up on hard courts, your movement likely is relatively worse on clay courts relative to hard courts. The biggest issue tends to be changing direction. Movement is probably the one key thing all defensive players rely on, I think on clay courts it's easier to get players like Caro out of position on court, which is obviously not good.

The second key point is weight of shot. You tend to need something, heavy spin, huge power etc. to keep your opponent pinned back as a defensive player. You especially see this with someone like Aga whose shots are lacking in both spin and power, and then on clay court tend to just sit up to be hit. Without weight of shot, your opponent has more time (because of the pace of court, higher bounce etc.) to get in position and probably a higher % attacking shot option.

I tend to think with the way courts are these days, it is a far better option for players to grow up on clay than it is on hard courts. You can translate a clay court game to today's slow hard courts a lot easier than the other way around. I imagine this in part hurts US player development these days, US have a tendency of producing players with a big serve, big forehand, poor backhand (there are exceptions of course) having grown up on fast hard courts, which doesn't translate very well to today's tour. That is probably massively off topic though .
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1942
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
When was Miami not ultra slow? It's been that way for years as far as I can remember.

Cincy has traditionally been one of the fastest courts in the US Open series (faster than the US Open much of the time) although last year it didn't seem as fast to me. The US open has seemed slow to me the past two years. What's your impression of the court speeds in the US Open series?

The courts in Istanbul seemed too slow to me for Caro's game when she played the YEC there in 2011.
It was always slow relative to the tour in part due to the humid conditions. But Miami from 15 years ago would probably be seen as fast nowadays, they have followed the example of most of the tour of slowing down the court further in more recent years.

There is no doubt they are slowing down all the hard courts these days. Cincinnati is the fastest, but again it is probably in part due to the conditions, it's nearly always blistering hot in Cincinnati. I think it's ashame what the US Open series are doing these days, I thought they use to pride themselves on being fast hard courts. But it's quite clear from what they did at last years US Open where it was clear even on TV that Arthur Ashe was a lot slower than Armstrong and the other courts, that they have followed this policy of putting down a slow court to try and get top 4 semi finals on the ATP side. The problem is if the US Open slows down, the warm up events in turn have to slow down otherwise the players complain they are bad preparation for the US Open.

What I think is worse is where events are now using differing court speeds between courts (the centre court and the other courts), this is just further stacking the deck in favour of the top players who are always playing on the centre court.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1943
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I think Caroline CAN play well on red clay. She beat Schiavone in 2011 Brussels, Fran made the FO final 2 weeks later. She played Sharapova close in Rome. Sharapova had a lucky net cord or Caro would have been up a break in set 2 after a 7-5 1st set.
Plus Madrid & Stuttgart finals.
If she competes like she did against Kerber, she can get deep in the big red clay tournaments. But unlike last spring, she has to compete hard and fight for these matches
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1944
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Thanks for the info;my guess is that Caro knows some basic "tourist German" for whenever there's a tourney there....or else she just speaks English since normal,educated Germans are usually no worse than passable in that tongue(Kerber being an exception;you can understand what she's saying,but her vocabulary is pitifully limited."Play my best tennis" are 4 of the 50 words she seems to know).Can't recall how often Caro has done promo work at German tourneys,but I imagine that she's more popular than the majority of players there...even though--according to German posters--women's tennis has scant popularity in Deutschland
German used to be mandatory in Danish Elementary schools from 6th grade. It isn't mandatory anymore but most people in Denmark have had at least a couple of years of education in German language. I'm quite sure Caro would do ok, and she could certainly read a speech written in German. For some reason I also think that Polish people are generally better at German than English (I'm thinking of her parents) which may support my case that Caro would be fine in German. But I could be wrong.

Germany is a big country (compared to Denmark, not Mexico!) with a huge population, but with very little coastline - less than Denmark's. So hundreds of thousands of Germans go to Denmark each summer to enjoy our beaches and our freezing water And there's a whole bunch of Danish people - especially in Jutland - renting their houses to Germans each summer while the Danes go to Greece or Spain. Because of this extensive tourism, the Danes often speaks German fluently (in Jutland, that is). I've had a couple of years of German myself (in elementary school, never after that). I can understand everything in German; I can follw any German movie without subtitles (bring on Fassbinder or whatever); I can read books in German. But speaking or writing isn't so easy.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #1945
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I think Caroline CAN play well on red clay. She beat Schiavone in 2011 Brussels, Fran made the FO final 2 weeks later. She played Sharapova close in Rome. Sharapova had a lucky net cord or Caro would have been up a break in set 2 after a 7-5 1st set.
Plus Madrid & Stuttgart finals.
If she competes like she did against Kerber, she can get deep in the big red clay tournaments. But unlike last spring, she has to compete hard and fight for these matches
Caro should be practicing on clay right now instead of caddying on a golf course. We can see where her priorities lie. I'm not expecting much this clay season.
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1946
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroalltheway View Post
Caro should be practicing on clay right now instead of caddying on a golf course. We can see where her priorities lie. I'm not expecting much this clay season.
Maybe the fact that I have to ask just proves that I am dumb but are you a genuine fan of Caroline? From your posts in GM I assumed that you are just trying to be funny.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1947
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I hoping after this golf event she go straight home too practicing on clay, I like her too move up the ranking this year

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1948
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Maybe the fact that I have to ask just proves that I am dumb but are you a genuine fan of Caroline? From your posts in GM I assumed that you are just trying to be funny.
Won't comment on whether or not you're dumb,but the poster DOES have Caroline's name featured,in a positive way,in his/her poster name.I haven't done any extensive studies,yet it's likely very rare at TF that a basher praises the one being bashed within his/her poster name.....Am not offering any judgment on the caddying,either

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1949
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I hoping after this golf event she go straight home too practicing on clay, I like her too move up the ranking this year
If Caro stays through sunday at The Masters, then she likely won't get back to Monte Carlo til monday. Some time on friday or saturday she'll be leaving for Stuttgart. The 1st round in Stuttgart starts on monday (mainly qualies and doubles) and runs through wednesday (I think there are a couple of 1st round matches that day as well as the start of the 2nd round).

So she doesn't have much time to get used to the red clay before her 1st match in Stuttgart.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1950
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

^ True I don't know I just hoping her clay & grass Result don't be as result as it was last year, Hopefully she get a good draw when the draw come out, But yes she does need too Train more and Improve on many area in her game, not just for Stuttgart or Clay season but for her career, I Know she said her dad is the only coach she need & she might keep him until she retire but i think she need too think twice on that If she wanna Fulfill Her potential

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread