Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4 - Page 228 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3406
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
I'm from NI. You can imagine the one-liners that have been floating around...
But tbh I've never been into the whole catholic vs protestant thing.

She did do some good actually although that said a lot of the good was for the upper-class.
She does get blamed for shit she didn't do but a lot of her policies are still reeking havoc today.

She was truly brutal, but I suppose the great shame is that's what it took for a woman to get where she is, and it still would take that.
Although because of how brutal she was, there won't be another female PM any time soon.
I think she had more balls than all the male PMs since, tbh. And I do think a percentage of the hatred directed towards her has an undertone of misogyny, though obviously there are many valid reasons to hate her. It's interesting though, because politicians today seem so weak - I've never experienced a PM as strong-willed as Thatcher.
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3407
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
I think she had more balls than all the male PMs since, tbh. And I do think a percentage of the hatred directed towards her has an undertone of misogyny, though obviously there are many valid reasons to hate her. It's interesting though, because politicians today seem so weak - I've never experienced a PM as strong-willed as Thatcher.
She had to be that strong willed though, but she did take it to ultimate extremes. I mean some of her actions...you could legitimately label her a sociopath. It is remarkable that she managed to rule with an iron fist, but nobody should be allowed to do that especially someone like her. Even though I think she is vile I will always give her that what she personally achieved and how the other male Government officials genuinely ran and cowered when she entered buildings is truly impressive, even if ultimately that line of ruling proved disastrous.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3408
country flag KingOfSwing

KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all

Very big pang of the "sads" to hear about Maggie Thatcher's passing. This liberal vs. conservative crap has got to STOP. So So so so so so so sick of this divisive crap in society. Enough with the haters and freaks on both ends. Am I wrong, or do most normal people have everyday views that can be labeled "conservative" on some things and "liberal" on others? Is it not a mix for most everyday people. Extremism is great for, maybe, polemic purposes, but not as a lifestyle. Why can't more people be like Maria - elegant and kind in public and a killer where it counts -- being great at your "job"?

Hard road for Maria this clay season, but I think she can take Wimbledon. I pray she does take it. Her or Azarenka, realistically. Please no more Serena. She wins because of some serious hard work and talent, sure, but she mostly wins because these girls are such head-cases and scared to get on court with her. God -- Henin and Clijsters were never afraid of this spoiled brat. Well, they are all spoiled brats, if they are champs, eh?
KingOfSwing is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #3409
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

^Clijsters shit her pants multiple times against Serena.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3410
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSwing View Post
Very big pang of the "sads" to hear about Maggie Thatcher's passing. This liberal vs. conservative crap has got to STOP. So So so so so so so sick of this divisive crap in society. Enough with the haters and freaks on both ends. Am I wrong, or do most normal people have everyday views that can be labeled "conservative" on some things and "liberal" on others? Is it not a mix for most everyday people. Extremism is great for, maybe, polemic purposes, but not as a lifestyle. Why can't more people be like Maria - elegant and kind in public and a killer where it counts -- being great at your "job"?

Hard road for Maria this clay season, but I think she can take Wimbledon. I pray she does take it. Her or Azarenka, realistically. Please no more Serena. She wins because of some serious hard work and talent, sure, but she mostly wins because these girls are such head-cases and scared to get on court with her. God -- Henin and Clijsters were never afraid of this spoiled brat. Well, they are all spoiled brats, if they are champs, eh?
Well, I guess before anything else I should welcome you to SS

So, welcome I agree on clay being a tough task for Maria, particularly because she excelled so well last year.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #3411
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold

K so don't want to bump the Miami thread, but saw this in GM.

What happened here? Pova seems pissed about losing, but can anyone who saw it confirm? Too many times in the past year, she's seemed relieved to escape with as many games as she did against Serena and resigned to a loss. This time, it feels like she was pissed at losing (her BFF getting a recent win over Serena probably didn't help). And her presser seemed kinda bitchy too but tbf some of those questions were kinda stupid and she was probably over it.

Particularly, this question from the PC:
Quote:
Q. If you had to play another match and it was up to you to choose a court and had home court advantage, what would you pick?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Against anyone?

Q. Against Serena.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Wimbledon.

Q. Wimbledon?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uh‑huh.
I don't think she's delusional . I'm sure Maria and Hoggy know the match-up would probably work most favorably for Maria on red clay at this point, but she's stubborn. This home court advantage line of questioning is almost insulting, like "well, you can't seem to beat her here or anywhere else recently so where do you think you would have the best chance of sneaking out a win?" Maria's answer imo shuts down that line of thinking and says where she would most like to play and win against Serena. I'm totally OK with this answer in that it shows she's thinking of potential future matches as matches she would want to win and not ones where she wants to avoid beatdowns.

And welcome to the new posters.
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3412
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Serena always shakes the umpires hand first with rare exception, it's just one of her superstitions. So when she saw Maria going to shake the umpires hand first she raced for it and then they were both sort of awkwardly in there at the same time, with Maria just ending up shaking his wrist

It looks awkward as fuck but there isn't much to it.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3413
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

She let Venus shake hands first in Charleston but hesitated for a moment
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #3414
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
Serena always shakes the umpires hand first with rare exception, it's just one of her superstitions. So when she saw Maria going to shake the umpires hand first she raced for it and then they were both sort of awkwardly in there at the same time, with Maria just ending up shaking his wrist

It looks awkward as fuck but there isn't much to it.
I see. Thanks. Guess I was imagining things, but to me Masha seemed less warm in this handshake than during YEC or Doha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMePova View Post
She let Venus shake hands first in Charleston but hesitated for a moment
well it's Venus so who wouldn't?
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3415
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Maria was definitely disgusted with the outcome. She wanted that handshake with Serena and the umpire to go as quickly as possible. Serena tried to give her some complimentary words, but Maria wasn't even looking at her as she moved to her chair in a hurry. She was up a set and break and she knew she was the better player out there for a good portion of the match. And that's not something she had been able to say in years. It was a golden opportunity for her and the way it collapsed so quickly would leave me upset as well.

But Maria now knows she belongs on the same court as Serena. After all of the struggles trying to get her game to a consistent high level after surgery, I think all of the pieces in her game have finally come together. Maria has her confidence back and she knows what she's capable of. You saw that reflected in her press conference with her defiant answers, saying that she will beat Serena at some point and she obviously isn't afraid of playing her on grass, as she chose Wimbledon as the place she'd prefer to battle.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #3416
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

She chose Wimbledon as the place she'd like to play Serena?

Man, I hope Maria's training hard on clay to prepare for a meeting on the surface she has the most chance at actually beating her on.

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #3417
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute

I know Wimbledon has that special place in her heart but I seriously hope that she knows that her best chance to beat Serena is red clay even if she doesn't talk about it.
Nina. is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #3418
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSwing View Post
Very big pang of the "sads" to hear about Maggie Thatcher's passing. This liberal vs. conservative crap has got to STOP. So So so so so so so sick of this divisive crap in society. Enough with the haters and freaks on both ends. Am I wrong, or do most normal people have everyday views that can be labeled "conservative" on some things and "liberal" on others?
For most people that's probably the case, yes. Especially when it comes to "moral" issues. When it comes to money it often depends on ones own situation. If you're poor you want money to be more evenly distributed so that you get a bigger piece of the pie. If you're rich you're more likely to be conservative because you want to hold on to what you got.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #3419
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobruiz View Post
She chose Wimbledon as the place she'd like to play Serena?

Man, I hope Maria's training hard on clay to prepare for a meeting on the surface she has the most chance at actually beating her on.
Maria isn't even half as good as she was on grass in 2004-2005. I'm shocked she chose Wimbledon, where Serena doesn't even need to play decently to beat everybody. Her impeccable serve does everything!

I'm one of those who never want them to meet, but I agree that it's Maria's best chance vs Serena. She needs to play very very well for two sets without lapses in concentration and a little help from Serena is needed!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #3420
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

By the way I'm feeling much better now! Fever is almost gone and blood tests are showing steady improvements. I'm just stuck at home for another week with nothing to do! I wish there was a tournament where we could sink our teeth into. And no I don't consider that Katowice mess interesting enough I didn't even know it existed!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread