STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche! - Page 21 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #301
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
No that is just ridiculous.

Serena is the GOAT but I'm talking about the actual technicalities of their games here. Serena's serve and movement are greatly dampened by the surface.
Of course she can beat Maria on this surface, but if Maria's playing well she'll have to play a clay court match like she hasn't played since 2002.

There is a reason why she hasn't beaten a single top 20 player at RG since 2003(?).

By comparison Maria's serve is highly effective, as is the spin on her shots. The higher bounce is normally right in her strike zone and you can only exploit her movement to the FH side but even that is hard to do. There are very few weaknesses in her game on clay.

And I get what people are saying about not hyping it but we knew going in last year that it should have been successful. I guess we'll just have to see everyone playing first but as it stands, Maria really shouldn't be losing to anyone not named Li, Stosur or Errani on the dirt.
And I also agree with this.
I noticed that in all matches vs Serena, Serena usually treats Maria's second serve well but on red clay Maria's second serve really is a weapon ( she aced Kvitova and Azarenka with a second serve ) she gives many different looks on her second serve on that surface and the kick is pretty high too.

Anyway I'm not writing Serena off but considering that we barely see her in latter rounds of clay since 2002, I allow myself to say this.
I don't doubt her capacities on red clay, in one match she really can turn into GOAT and all but I'm just saying that she didn't show much on the dirt surface since 2002 now so it's safe to say that GOAT Serena on red clay isn't gonna show anytime soon and some her fans basically write Serena off during RG and they can't wait grass season to start.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #302
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
It's more likely that Li would have gotten a massive lead and choked, she choked at some stage in every match she played in Rome last year.
true but Serena is also known for being a choker on red clay.
RG 2009, RG 2010, Rome 2010 against JJ.
I wanted Serena to play Maria so bad in Rome final last year, that withdrawal pissed me.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #303
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: STUTTGART 2013: Aint no backseat in my Porsche!

Subscribe

CLAYPOVA
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #304
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Serena'd better stay away from Stuttgart she has enough money to buy a Porsche on her own! I want this title for Maria!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #305
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPova View Post
Serena'd better stay away from Stuttgart she has enough money to buy a Porsche on her own! I want this title for Maria!
The more often Masha meets Serena - whether it's on clay or any other surface - the better - Why? - Because then she gets familiar with Serena's current game and has a better chance to figure something out - So - from my point of view - let her lose to Serena in Stuttgart - Madrid and/or Rome and let's hope that she can defeat Serena in the French Open - preferably in the final - That will make every critic of hers shut up - Of course - reaching the final in the French Open is a very difficult task for any tennis player on the women's side - even Serena
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #306
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaFan01 View Post
The more often Masha meets Serena - whether it's on clay or any other surface - the better - Why? - Because then she gets familiar with Serena's current game and has a better chance to figure something out - So - from my point of view - let her lose to Serena in Stuttgart - Madrid and/or Rome and let's hope that she can defeat Serena in the French Open - preferably in the final - That will make every critic of hers shut up - Of course - reaching the final in the French Open is a very difficult task for any tennis player on the women's side - even Serena
I know and you're right! But every time they have to meet the forum becomes an unbearable mess for days and the risk of watching Maria get another beat down from Serena is always around the corner I'd rather have Maria play vs other opponents, where the chance of seeing her win is a little higher

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #307
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with the theory of this. Playing someone multiple times over a short period should increase your chances of beating them. And I've always envisioned Maria finally ending the suffering against Serena at a major final and earning the respect she deserves as being an all-time great tennis player first and foremost.

But this is still Serena we're talking about and there's also the chance that Maria continues losing to her, just adding to the misery. Do I really want Maria's 2013 to be defined by 6 or 7 meetings with Serena at the expense of playing the vulnerable Vika more? That scares me a little. I really don't relish seeing Serena over and over. But with both being ranked 1 and 2, if they stay healthy, they probably will be meeting each other several more times this year.

More Vika, less Serena please. Let's go.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #308
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

Just saying that I believe that Masha always wants to beat the best - I'm sure that she finds no pleasure or pride in beating a #15 or lower 60, 60 - We as her supporters just have to accept that - If it takes Masha another 12 losses to finally beat Serena a couple of matches in a row (preferably QFs - SFs or finals) we just have to accept that - It took Masha a while to win over Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin - but she did it in the end - She has beaten ALL the great champions of her time (Serena included) in significant matches - She was already close to beat Serena in Miami - Have faith - whatever happens - just continue to be believe in YOUR champion because if you consider Masha's career - you'll see that it is filled with remarkable and sometimes astonishing events
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #309
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just saying that I believe that Masha always wants to beat the best - I'm sure that she finds no pleasure or pride in beating a #15 or lower 60, 60 - We as her supporters just have to accept that - If it takes Masha another 12 losses to finally beat Serena a couple of matches in a row (preferably QFs - SFs or finals) we just have to accept that - It took Masha a while to win over Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin - but she did it in the end - She has beaten ALL the great champions of her time (Serena included) in significant matches - She was already close to beat Serena in Miami - Have faith - whatever happens - just continue to be believe in YOUR champion because if you consider Masha's career - you'll see that it is filled with remarkable and sometimes astonishing events

very well said - Masha is truly exceptional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #310
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

It's again compulosory for Masha to enter RG with red clay titles , she needs to feel confident before French Open and should beat some clay players in Stuttgart/Rome to confirm herself that she is ready for RG this year too. I think this clay season is much tougher for Masha than last year, she has to defend much

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #311
country flag JoPova

I need Stuttgart! I last watched Maria in IW, so I'm suffering right now. Miami never happened to me, so she's still on a winning streak

I want matches vs Angelique, Petra, Sara. No Na, Sabine or Mona on this fast surface please. Their BBB scares me!

Old Apr 12th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #312
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future

i am looking forward to this clay season very much and my expectations are really high and i want Serena - Maria meeting on clay so much!

Kvitova Vaidisova Ivanovic Cepelova Hantuchova Jankovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #313
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelina View Post
i am looking forward to this clay season very much and my expectations are really high and i want Serena - Maria meeting on clay so much!
No thanks

They already played 2 times on clay

And Masha got breadsticked in both matches
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #314
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

In blue and green clay, but not in red clay

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #315
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecig View Post
In blue and green clay, but not in red clay
It doesn't make that much of a difference when it comes to Serena
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote