What player on the tour is the biggest fighter? - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #136
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What player on the tour is the biggest fighter?

Venus will always be the biggest fighter to me because she was silently suffering for years with this unknown autoimmune disease and still has some amazing results. She accomplished things most healthy players never have. Once she was diagnosed she continued to fight and is still going & not giving in to the disease. People tend to forget how Venus has saved match points on big occasions and went on to win the match. Venus is a fighter both on and off of the court.

Also Serena everything she's been through throughout her career she was determined to overcome. All of her health issues could not destroy her will to be the best. No matter how far in the match she is, when it comes to Serena it's not over until it's over, her comebacks in matches are a sight to behold.

Vika, with all of the health issues she had before she became the player she is today, she could have easily just been a constant contender making it deep into tournaments but never making that breakthrough. But she was determined and now is one of the top fighters on the tour.

Also Errani, she is just the ultimate fighter. I can almost see war paint on her face as she fights her way through her matches.

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
it-girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #137
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post
poor Carillo. What a joke.

Anyway, what's so amazing about Serena's comebacks in these videos are that they're against other hall of fame players or top players. She's comes back against the best.

The cold hard fact is, Errani, Kerber, Oudin () Bartoli - none of them - are coming back like that against Hall of Fame level players. That says it all.

When it comes to fight, no one is in Serena's league.
Well for a great fighter, she had some pretty lame efforts against Azarenka Miami 2009 ( 6-3 6-1), , Sybill Bammer Cincy 2009 (7-5 6-4), Bartoli Wimbledon 2011, Stosur US Open 2011 (6-2 6-3), Makarova Australia 2012( 6-2 6-3) and of course Virginie Razzano at the French. . 2012.

Some sorry was never in it and went down like a limp rag efforts and a lot of Slams on that list.

I'm not arguing that she is not a great fighter and you have every right to she is the best, but to say "no one is her league" is overblown and dead wrong.

Last edited by BillFromRichmond : Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #138
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post
Well for a great fighter, she had some pretty lame efforts against Azarenka Miami 2009 ( 6-3 6-1), , Sybill Bammer Cincy 2009 (7-5 6-4), Bartoli Wimbledon 2011, Stosur US Open 2011 (6-2 6-3), Makarova Australia 2012( 6-2 6-3) and of course Virginie Razzano at the French. . 2012.

Some sorry was never in it and went down like a limp rag efforts and a lot of Slams on that list.

I'm not arguing that she is not a great fighter and you have every right to she is the best, but to say "no one is her league" is overblown and dead wrong.

MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #139
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
Venus will always be the biggest fighter to me because she was silently suffering for years with this unknown autoimmune disease and still has some amazing results. She accomplished things most healthy players never have. Once she was diagnosed she continued to fight and is still going & not giving in to the disease. People tend to forget how Venus has saved match points on big occasions and went on to win the match. Venus is a fighter both on and off of the court.

Also Serena everything she's been through throughout her career she was determined to overcome. All of her health issues could not destroy her will to be the best. No matter how far in the match she is, when it comes to Serena it's not over until it's over, her comebacks in matches are a sight to behold.

Vika, with all of the health issues she had before she became the player she is today, she could have easily just been a constant contender making it deep into tournaments but never making that breakthrough. But she was determined and now is one of the top fighters on the tour.

Also Errani, she is just the ultimate fighter. I can almost see war paint on her face as she fights her way through her matches.
Who is the biggest fighter? That would be Serena Williams. To me, she would be the Jacky Robinson of the tennis world for what she has been through and how she has had to fight on and off the courts. It would serve some people on TF to watch the new movie coming out about Jacky Robinson and then they would have a better understanding of Serena.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #140
country flag ToxicSlave93

ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice ToxicSlave93 is just really nice

My vote goes to Maria. She hardly ever shows any negative body language, and even when she's down by a lot, she still fist-pumps. Serena's also a great fighter, obviously. I don't think anyone has come back from the dead in a match as many times as she has.

On a side note, I wish everyone would be nicer to each other on this forum... Can't we tone down the hostility a bit?
ToxicSlave93 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #141
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
By this question i mean which player on tour do you think has the best fighting spirit?

To me it has to be Bartoli. she just never gives up and she's probably one of the best now at gutting out wins even when she isnt playing well

I assume you mean who is the biggest fighter after Serena. She has just won 2 WTA events after dropping the first set in the final. She then proceeded to bagel each of her opponents in route to a 3 set victory.

Outside of Serena I would have to say Sharapova. When she is not playing Serena she really shows a lot of heart and spirit. I also like her attitude about competing to win. Maria has called out Vika for very questionable tactics Vika has used in the past to keep her ranking and I agree with Maria. She has a winning drive. And she works hard. After Serena I would call her the second biggest fighter on tour.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #142
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Serena obvs.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #143
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Azarenka? You mean the one with like 2935734058034 retirements/withdrawals in the past 3 years? I don't think so.

Venus and Serena are the tour's ultimate fighters. Look at how many surgeries and heath issues they've gone through; the fact that they still have the will to play is amazing.
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #144
country flag RayTheKilcherian

RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future RayTheKilcherian has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by il dragone View Post
which players aren't big fighters though and tend to give up quickly?
Queen of Belarus comes to mind.
RayTheKilcherian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #145
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Serena is the biggest fighter, probably for me Errani. Serena has too many mental lapses in matches.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #146
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Azarenka fights hard, but IMO she's too much of a wuss to get the title of biggest fighter.

It's Serena or Sharapova. I think Serena's toughest mentally, but Maria is the more consistent competitor. She hardly ever loses her cool and loves a tough three setter more than just about anyone else.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #147
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post

All players, great or otherwise, have bad loses or upsets, but tell me which of todays players have comparable comebacks against multiple Hall of Fame Players?

Until you can do that, Serena reigns supreme.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #148
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Being mentally strong doesn't just mean being 'better' than the best. Sure that's a big part of it. But I really believe that the mentally tough players are the ones that go out there and win the matches that they 'should be winning.' You need to be mentally prepared for anything in tennis - from R1 to the F. Maria has been great throughout her career (other than during 09/10 injury recovery period) at winning the matches she should be winning. She has really good consistency. I put that down to the fact that she always says that she approaches things match by match and never underestimates any opponent.

I'd tend to agree that Serena is the best mentally. But I question her 'selective' use of mental toughness and focus. I think there is a difference in her intensity level and focus at different stages of the tournament. That's fair enough - saving it up for the end. But her losses in past years to players that are ranked well below her I'd say is largely due to lack of focus. Biggest one to note of late was in her match against Azarenka in Doha. Just mentally wasn't there. Recent mental lapse in the final of Charleston to Jankovic. I think when the going gets tough Serena is the best, but week in week out I'm not sure she is 100% mentally invested in her matches. It's just as important to take a match against a scrub in R1 of a tournament seriously as it is the final. She learned that the hard way in FO last year.

So yeah Serena is probably the best, but people arguing that there is a giant chasm of difference between her and Maria in this department need to re-evaluate. Both have faced considerable adversity during their careers and are great fighters.

Azarenka on the other hand, I will always maintain, is not mentally strong. I've said it a million times, it's easy to look like a mental giant when you are WINNING. How she handles someone outplaying her is nearly always atrocious.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #149
country flag burn

burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute

Monica Seles
JaJa / TaTo

LaraM / Cucumber / B
acs / Kennel

formerly known as Mr. Joyful, MUFFIN MONSTER, S.T.A.R. and Cucumber_Conny.
burn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #150
country flag burn

burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute burn has a reputation beyond repute

And to Serena: I remeber her losing 0-6, 0-3ret. to Schnyder.
JaJa / TaTo

LaraM / Cucumber / B
acs / Kennel

formerly known as Mr. Joyful, MUFFIN MONSTER, S.T.A.R. and Cucumber_Conny.
burn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote