STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche! - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #286
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: STUTTGART 2013: Aint no backseat in my Porsche!

I just want her to win at least 5 tournaments this year . RG is her best chance to win a slam this year honestly, but I wouldn't mind if she would give it a shot at the USO and try to win that slam as well.

Anyway, when is the draw? Does anyone know?
Mr.Sharapova is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #287
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

I really want her to win RG just because it's her best shot at a slam and I really want her to win a slam
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #288
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

It would really surprise me if she would win a slam this year - although nothing would make me happier - Also don't forget that her Nemesis - Serena - is supposed to play at least Madrid - Rome and the French Open - I rather expect the worse then dream beautiful dreams and get disappointed

Last edited by MashaFan01 : Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #289
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I would only favour Serena at Madrid but even at that I would have to see how the new clay plays first.
Serena does struggle to move on clay though, her speed has always been a muscly effort as opposed to a more natural finesse about the court, and her footwork is piss-poor most of the time so she isn't comfortable running around. In fact, any player that gets her moving at all or gets a good amount of spin will get a weak/midcourt response from her on the surface. I just don't see how she could cope with an in form Maria on clay, who would be consistently hammering back the balls with a lot of spin and implementing the angles when she got the chance.

Plus her serve on red clay isn't anywhere close to the weapon it is on hard/grass.

Yes Serena is the best on tour, but people think her RG showings are purely mental, which it largely is, but there have been a lot of other red clay tournaments since 2002.
She is the GOAT of this generation but she hasn't bothered improving on clay ever, and her limitations on the surface shows each year.

I really want them to play pre-RG because if Maria can get a win, and then hopefully goes deep at RG to meet Serena (who would have to break her QF curse) then she shouldn't let her head prevent her from winning.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #290
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
I really bugs me how she doesn't play a pre-grass event, but with her clay success (especially last year) you can't really expect her to clean sweep on the dirt and then enter a pre-slam tournament and not be physically dead at Wimbledon
Well I don't see why she can't do it actually. I don't think we all expect her to win all the clay prep tourneys. One of the most improved aspect of Martha's game is her endurance, and I think she'd have no problem playing through these tournaments unless she Poova them all with 3 setters.

I don't even expect her to win Birmingham tbh if she enters (lost to one Jamea Jackson anyone ), just want her to get used to grass after that long clay season. I'd argue that on top of the emotional high from winning RG and to a lesser extent Sabine's form, Martha just didn't have enough time to get used to grass last year, hence that early loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
I would only favour Serena at Madrid but even at that I would have to see how the new clay plays first.
Serena does struggle to move on clay though, her speed has always been a muscly effort as opposed to a more natural finesse about the court, and her footwork is piss-poor most of the time so she isn't comfortable running around. In fact, any player that gets her moving at all or gets a good amount of spin will get a weak/midcourt response from her on the surface. I just don't see how she could cope with an in form Maria on clay, who would be consistently hammering back the balls with a lot of spin and implementing the angles when she got the chance.

Plus her serve on red clay isn't anywhere close to the weapon it is on hard/grass.

Yes Serena is the best on tour, but people think her RG showings are purely mental, which it largely is, but there have been a lot of other red clay tournaments since 2002.
She is the GOAT of this generation but she hasn't bothered improving on clay ever, and her limitations on the surface shows each year.
I agree. Sarin will never be a natural claycourter, but her game is so good itself that the surface doesn't really matter if she brings it. I think in that regard she tends to be complacent. I also think that with age it's harder to really summon your best on the slow clay courts, and TBH, I'm not really impressed by Sarin's footwork so far this year
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #291
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post

I really want them to play pre-RG because if Maria can get a win, and then hopefully goes deep at RG to meet Serena (who would have to break her QF curse) then she shouldn't let her head prevent her from winning.
What?

I'm sorry, but this is just too much

If Serena plays over 60%, Maria is toast, no matter the surface.

Hate me for it, but you know it's true. Serena just wont allow Maria to win

Seriously, why is everyone overreacting so much? Maria is great on clay, but she is no Nadal and she can be beaten on clay (other than Serena). Please, can we take it one match at a time? Please
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #292
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Maria has built an impressive clay game but I still think Serena would beat her if they met. Like someone already said, Serena's game is just too good for Maria no matter what the surface. Unless Maria makes adjustments to HER game it will stay that way.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #293
country flag Qetusi

Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of Qetusi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
What?

Seriously, why is everyone overreacting so much? Maria is great on clay, but she is no Nadal and she can be beaten on clay (other than Serena). Please, can we take it one match at a time? Please
THIS

yep, she was great last year on clay [18-1] , 3 titles and so on ... but she could easily lose to Stosur in Stuttgart or to Li in Rome , they had MPs ... so ... I'm not saying that we shouldn't expect from her something similar, but everything is possible
we shouldn't overrate her and put our expectations just too high , cause the disappointment could be very painful then ...
Qetusi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #294
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

When you look at the past year, you have to give Serena the benefit of the doubt against any player on all surfaces. As far as I'm concerned, she hasn't lost since the first round of the French. The 2 losses this year were because of injury. And she tanked the match to Kerber in Cincinnati because she's was drained from her Wimbledon/Olympics domination and didn't want to be there. So this clay season will be very fascinating and telling. Is anyone out there capable of stepping up on Serena's worst surface and say "enough of this crap" and actually beat her when she's 100%? If not now, then when? Is everyone just going to count on old age or injury?

Now, as it pertains to Maria, if you take Serena out of the equation, nobody on the WTA scares me. Yes, on any given day, players like Vika or Li can beat her. But given the way Maria's level has been, she is certainly capable of another great year on clay. She's the second best on tour and nobody else is close to her right now in competing for that slot behind Serena. Azarenka has had way too much time off and is no match for Maria on clay anyway. So if Maria remains healthy and playing at her high level, you're really only looking at Li or maybe Errani as the biggest threats to Maria not named Serena for these upcoming dirt tourneys.

I'm definitely anxious to see how Stuttgart unfolds for Maria, to see if that clay magic is still there. Based on the progression I've seen from her over the first 4 tournaments, I'm confident Maria will do well over the next couple of months trying to defend her titles.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #295
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Bring on another Sveta/Rena clay match I say
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #296
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
When you look at the past year, you have to give Serena the benefit of the doubt against any player on all surfaces. As far as I'm concerned, she hasn't lost since the first round of the French. The 2 losses this year were because of injury. And she tanked the match to Kerber in Cincinnati because she's was drained from her Wimbledon/Olympics domination and didn't want to be there. So this clay season will be very fascinating and telling. Is anyone out there capable of stepping up on Serena's worst surface and say "enough of this crap" and actually beat her when she's 100%? If not now, then when? Is everyone just going to count on old age or injury?

Now, as it pertains to Maria, if you take Serena out of the equation, nobody on the WTA scares me. Yes, on any given day, players like Vika or Li can beat her. But given the way Maria's level has been, she is certainly capable of another great year on clay. She's the second best on tour and nobody else is close to her right now in competing for that slot behind Serena. Azarenka has had way too much time off and is no match for Maria on clay anyway. So if Maria remains healthy and playing at her high level, you're really only looking at Li or maybe Errani as the biggest threats to Maria not named Serena for these upcoming dirt tourneys.

I'm definitely anxious to see how Stuttgart unfolds for Maria, to see if that clay magic is still there. Based on the progression I've seen from her over the first 4 tournaments, I'm confident Maria will do well over the next couple of months trying to defend her titles.
do not understimate the horrible Vika, she can be very challenging imho if she starts understanding her skills on this surface too
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #297
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
do not understimate the horrible Vika, she can be very challenging imho if she starts understanding her skills on this surface too
Ordinarily, I would agree with you. If Azarenka had been healthy all year and continued with her high level of play heading into the clay, I would have considered her a serious threat to Maria and anybody else. I think she will be a threat to win the French and other clay tourneys in the years to come. But with her slow to heal injury combined with her considerable time away from real match action and her lack of past clay proficiency, I don't see her bothering Maria on this surface in 2013.

Clay isn't something you can suddenly make a quantum leap on in terms of progress. It's a gradual process, as we saw with Maria. Vika has yet to have a real clay breakthrough and it will still take some time and commitment on her part to get there. She may make a semi or a final, but she won't be beating Maria, Serena, Li, or even maybe Errani in that situation. I think Stosur or Petra could give her problems as well.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #298
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
What?

No that is just ridiculous.

Serena is the GOAT but I'm talking about the actual technicalities of their games here. Serena's serve and movement are greatly dampened by the surface.
Of course she can beat Maria on this surface, but if Maria's playing well she'll have to play a clay court match like she hasn't played since 2002.

There is a reason why she hasn't beaten a single top 20 player at RG since 2003(?).

By comparison Maria's serve is highly effective, as is the spin on her shots. The higher bounce is normally right in her strike zone and you can only exploit her movement to the FH side but even that is hard to do. There are very few weaknesses in her game on clay.

And I get what people are saying about not hyping it but we knew going in last year that it should have been successful. I guess we'll just have to see everyone playing first but as it stands, Maria really shouldn't be losing to anyone not named Li, Stosur or Errani on the dirt.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #299
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Ordinarily, I would agree with you. If Azarenka had been healthy all year and continued with her high level of play heading into the clay, I would have considered her a serious threat to Maria and anybody else. I think she will be a threat to win the French and other clay tourneys in the years to come. But with her slow to heal injury combined with her considerable time away from real match action and her lack of past clay proficiency, I don't see her bothering Maria on this surface in 2013.

Clay isn't something you can suddenly make a quantum leap on in terms of progress. It's a gradual process, as we saw with Maria. Vika has yet to have a real clay breakthrough and it will still take some time and commitment on her part to get there. She may make a semi or a final, but she won't be beating Maria, Serena, Li, or even maybe Errani in that situation. I think Stosur or Petra could give her problems as well.
I agree with all of this.
And I feel like the same thing applies to Serena, as great as she is on grass, slow HC, fast HC.
On clay it's a whole different story she hasn't won a single title on red clay since 2002 now and people expect her to win FO like that, she needs to prove that she can maintain a high level of tennis on clay courts yet she usually retires after 3 or 4 matches played on the surface.
I'm glad she and Maria will be seeded N1 and N2 all clay season cause we will see if Serena can reach the latter rounds of tournaments on the red dirt consistently.

I expect her to do great at Madrid though, her serve will be a bigger weapon than it should be on real clay courts and if she goes far in Madrid she will retire in Rome after playing 2 or 3 matches like last year.

Serena hates playing on clay no matter what she is saying, her footwork really is dire on the surface and her serve isn't a big weapon on it.
I'm pretty sure Na would have beaten Serena if they had played in Rome semi final last year.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #300
country flag jameshazza

It's more likely that Li would have gotten a massive lead and choked, she choked at some stage in every match she played in Rome last year.