Julia's video thread - Page 42 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #616
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Julia's video thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
My very first video from this year's Sony Open was of Julia:

Uploading of vids has begun!

Thanks Aravanecaravan!

Lol at 0:30. The guy asks Julia "too fast for you?" and Julia teases him and says, "no, it's too slow", despite the fact that she was completely beaten by the previous two serves to her backhand (I suspect they had good spin on them, it seems that the serve at 0:12 swung into her body and the serve at 0:20 kicked up and away from her backhand).

Julia is obviously finding that practice session pretty fun, laughing a lot (1:00, 3:44 for instance) but she's also finding it pretty challenging. The sound of the serve indicates that they are not lightning fast but it appears that the guy has good disguise and spin on his serve, and as a whole Julia is not handling it well at all. For instance at 1:14 Julia goes to take a swing at a forehand return and the serve obviously curves away from her at the last second. The guy can probably produce slice, slice topspin, kick, and twist as well as a mixture of speeds from the same toss, which is creating problems for Julia, since most girls have a more limited range of serves, despite the fact he is clearly not serving all that fast most of the time (faster towards the end of the clip). He won't ace Julia much like that, but he's making her miss a lot of returns.

I wonder where the guy is from. Maybe a local coach, originally from Europe? He has a European sounding accent which makes it hard for me to understand him but they are speaking in English, which might mean that he isn't German.

Last edited by HowardH : Mar 26th, 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Added video quote to make it easy to see which parts of video I am referencing
HowardH is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #617
country flag Aravanecaravan
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Thanks Aravanecaravan!

Lol at 0:30. The guy asks Julia "too fast for you?" and Julia teases him and says, "no, it's too slow", despite the fact that she was completely beaten by the previous two serves to her backhand (I suspect they had good spin on them, it seems that the serve at 0:12 swung into her body and the serve at 0:20 kicked up and away from her backhand).

Julia is obviously finding that practice session pretty fun, laughing a lot (1:00, 3:44 for instance) but she's also finding it pretty challenging. The sound of the serve indicates that they are not lightning fast but it appears that the guy has good disguise and spin on his serve, and as a whole Julia is not handling it well at all. For instance at 1:14 Julia goes to take a swing at a forehand return and the serve obviously curves away from her at the last second. The guy can probably produce slice, slice topspin, kick, and twist as well as a mixture of speeds from the same toss, which is creating problems for Julia, since most girls have a more limited range of serves, despite the fact he is clearly not serving all that fast most of the time (faster towards the end of the clip). He won't ace Julia much like that, but he's making her miss a lot of returns.

I wonder where the guy is from. Maybe a local coach, originally from Europe? He has a European sounding accent which makes it hard for me to understand him but they are speaking in English, which might mean that he isn't German.
I am pretty sure the "guy" was Nentzel.

I love the exchange at 3:40-3:55. It's great to see any of the players having fun and not stressed out, and this is exactly why I love to go to a tournament like Miami the first few days, before it starts getting tense and filled up with crowds of people. Julia was relaxed and laughing and afterwards she wasn't so bothered with autograph seekers that she didn't have time for a photo with me, which I was genuinely grateful for. Later in the week it's pretty much all "business" and you can tell the players are getting tense and a little tired of the attention.

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com

Last edited by Aravanecaravan : Mar 26th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Aravanecaravan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #618
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so Julia and Nentzel must be really used to speaking in English. You would expect some German conversation there but they just use English automatically, maybe it's out of politeness because there is a non-German speaker around. You would think she faces his serve so often she would have gotten used to it... then again returning is not her strength. Maybe it was even worse before she got used to it .

By the way what camera do you use?
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #619
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Oh, so Julia and Nentzel must be really used to speaking in English. You would expect some German conversation there but they just use English automatically, maybe it's out of politeness because there is a non-German speaker around. You would think she faces his serve so often she would have gotten used to it... then again returning is not her strength. Maybe it was even worse before she got used to it .

By the way what camera do you use?
Raj was there, as you can see in the background of the video. Not sure if he speaks German or not, but it would obviously be easier when all three of them are together to speak a common language. Or maybe they were putting on a show for the camera(s), lol. They were certainly having some fun with it.

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ150. It's a middle of the road point and shoot, 24X zoom that does OK for pics but my main focus is in shooting video, and that is where it has big advantages over other similar cameras, like Canons and Nikons and Sonys, IMHO. The Lumix will capture full HD (1080p) video at 60fps whereas the others generally won't do it at better than 30fps. I use my camera almost exclusively for shooting tennis, so it was important to find one that would shoot at 60fps, to record high speed action at fluid motion. When I was looking for a new camera last year, I researched and looked at sample video on Youtube and many of the Canon/Nikon/Sony videos were quite choppy or jittery, and I was used to buttery smooth video from my old Canon Powershot, so I went with the Panasonic and couldn't be happier. The file sizes are enormous, if you shoot at full HP and capture in raw unedited format, but if you wanted, you could actually record and capture to the card in MP4 to compress and save memory card space.

On one 16GB SDHC card, I can get 3110 photos at 4000x3000 pixel resolution or 1 hr. 15 minutes of full HD video at 1080p in unedited mode, or some combination. For this trip to Miami, I took 4 empty 16GB cards to Miami, ran out, and had to spill over and use half of a 32GB card I had from last year.

That's a lot of stuff....

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM   #620
The Aravane Caravan

First of many match vids from Miami:

More coming soon--I have probably close to an hour of footage of Julia from Miami.

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #621
country flag HowardH

More from Aravanecaravan.

I recommend going to youtube to watch them. These vids are in tremendous quality so it's best to be able to view them fullscreen. Actually I always wish that you could view embedded videos in fullscreen but it doesn't seem to work for me.

These are match vids 2 and 3. I count the warmup as 1.

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 4th, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM   #622
The Aravane Caravan

Thanks Howard. You can also always change the default quality settings if you view them at Youtube, all the way up to 1080p with a bigger viewing window if your connection will allow it. Nothing like Jules in as nice a resolution as possible.

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #623
country flag JuleFan

JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice JuleFan is just really nice

JuleFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #624
country flag CillyUltra

CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute

Charleston 2013 - Second Round

Match from 3-0 in set 1

Post-Match Interview

Last edited by CillyUltra : Apr 3rd, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
CillyUltra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #625
country flag HowardH

Thanks for the full match Cilly!

A couple more from Aravanecaravan. To help keep track of them, I think these are number 4 and 5 vids of Julia's match.

You know, I'm starting to wonder how on earth you managed to take so many pictures and videos of the same match. Seemingly at the same time. I suppose you switched back and forth between taking videos and pics with the same camera? How skillful.

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 4th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #626
The Aravane Caravan

My plan of attack in shooting matches is to use the warm up to take as many photos and as much video as I can--that's five minutes worth right there. Generally I will snap as many photos as I can the first two minutes and use the remaining three for an introductory video. If it is a player I intend to shoot a lot of video of, like Julia, I then will shoot the first two games, one receiving and one serving, in video. Then, for the next few games, I will alternate shooting photos and video for entire games. One of Julia's service games lasted more than 8 minutes, though, and my arm/shoulder got too tired to keep holding the camera steady, so I had to shut the camera down and take a break.

After a set, if I feel comfortable with the shots/video I have, I will watch the rest of the match, or if I still want something more, I'll go back and shoot a few more games here and there in the same fashion.

Here is the infamous "ass" comment from Julia, where she argues the line call:

Last edited by Aravanecaravan : Apr 4th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #627
country flag Madoka

Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future Madoka has a brilliant future

@Aravanecaravan these videos are amazing, thank you so much !!!

Auf gehts meine deutschen scrubs

PAW Titles : Dubai '14, Charleston '14, Bastad '14

FITD Titles : Istanbul '14
Madoka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #628
country flag HowardH

So this is match video 7 from Aravanecaravan

In general Julia didn't seem to be very happy about the calls in this match. Not just the "you could see my ass, nothing else" comment, but also in vid 5, where the look she gives the umpire (expecting a call) after the first point is priceless. I'm not sure about the other calls but in vid 6 it was admittedly strange for the umpire to overrule when Julia was in between the chair and the ball.

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 4th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #629
The Aravane Caravan

I think Julia's mood that day didn't help matters. But she had a very friendly crowd on her side--most of the people watching were supporting her, and, like Julia, we didn't like a lot of the calls that day, so between being testier than normal and being buoyed by the crowd, I think she felt almost obligated to get on the umpire a few times.

@SuckMila: no problem. My pleasure. I love tennis and this week in Miami is the best vacation I could ask for. Being part of the "scene" there in the first week and getting to take so many photos and so much video and being able to report first hand on the matches and practices and behind the scenes things going on at the tournament is all part of the fun for me. I'm happy there are others who enjoy the photos and videos!

Last edited by Aravanecaravan : Apr 4th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #630
country flag CillyUltra

CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute

Charleston 2013 - Third Round

Full Match