Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #91
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros

You're right, at this point it looks like a good thing that Serena and Venus are on the other side of the draw. So even if they do go the distance (in Serena's case it would be literally unprecedented), Sam doesn't have to worry about anything more than possibly playing one of them in the final should she and one of them get that far.

I'm still far from convinced that Serena is here to stay. So far it's smooth sailing for her, but at some point she's going to have to start to work a bit harder for her wins, and all those little niggling aches and pains will start to get to her. If she does reach the final I honestly can't see her being at her best anyway.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #92
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

^You could be right, I guess we'll have to wait and see. But for some reason I think this is going to be like Stanford last year where everyone expects a withdrawal but it never eventuates.

It's difficult watching Sam with that calf strapping. From the highlights it looks like she was moving well, and her footwork was good, but I can't stop myself from thinking that she's running around out there with a plaster cast on
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #93

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

^Well if Sam were to lose in the final to Serena that would be one win better than last year. If she loses before then it doesn't matter anyway. So I don't suppose it makes too much sense to worry about it.

Sam's comments on her injury:

“I’ll take it day by day,” she said. “I mean, it’s all great, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself and think, ‘Now you can go out and do what you would normally do.’

“So I certainly want to keep doing the right things as far as getting treatment and then wake up (today) and hopefully it will all be fine.”

Hard to say what to make of this. Could be that it's basically fine, but Sam wants to give it a few more matches before taking the tape off just to be sure. Or it could be that it's still bothering her a little bit. But from the stuff that annetcl posted after she withdrew from IW I gathered that if it was bothering her at all she should rest it. So I don't know. Hopefully it's just Sam being ultra-cautious.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #94
country flag Sinclair
All about the guns, baby.

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
^You could be right, I guess we'll have to wait and see. But for some reason I think this is going to be like Stanford last year where everyone expects a withdrawal but it never eventuates.

It's difficult watching Sam with that calf strapping. From the highlights it looks like she was moving well, and her footwork was good, but I can't stop myself from thinking that she's running around out there with a plaster cast on
Hi, everyone! I had a few issues posting here so far, but it seems to be working for me at the moment.

Anyway, SP, you are right about all the tape. It's hard to see our girl with any injury, but this one is so obvious with all the heavy tape. But to me, from seeing her moving at practice and at the match, I think it is mostly for cautious reasons. She let at least two balls pass her in the match that she could have returned but intentionally didn't. It appeared she was taking no chances of over-stretching the calf.

Having seen her play as confidently and calmly as she did yesterday, I am reassured that she will be ok.

But yes.....I agree that it's hard to see her wrapped up, especially because we know she has always been the picture of good health and fitness.
Sinclair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #95
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

I’m sure the calf issue is not over. Sam cancelled at the last minute her practice which was set at 12:00pm before the match yesterday, and did not practice the day before, Tuesday. Probably to keep her leg fresh (Tuesday), and the issue is not resolved (Wednesday). She skipped a few rallies during the match and used her power to finish many points, even with her BH (btw that proved to be really effective).
I don't know if she can sustain long rallies or beside long matches, but it will bother her more than a few days. For me it looks like she can play and win, but not the same way. She can’t do all what she usually can. But winning without 100% of your abilities is also part of the job.
The only risk is to damage yourself by accident, which the tape is set to prevent from, I guess. That’s a trade-off.
B.

Last edited by bertisonline : Apr 4th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #96

^The first big test if it eventuates would be the potential QF with JJ. I don't think players like Erakovic and Bouchard are experienced enough to know how to really take advantage of Sam's injury, but JJ is a different story. She knows the whole book of tricks frontwards and backwards.

But even against JJ it might be actually better for Sam to just let balls go rather than trying to chase them all down. It simplifies things. Sam certainly has the shots to overwhelm someone like JJ if she executes them right, as we saw in the RG'10 SF (such a happy moment).

Sam has a lot of success running down balls against players with a more straightforward power game, but the more tactical players like JJ (and Errani, and Vinci) can sometimes turn that against her by getting her to run all over the place like a puppet on their strings. Maybe it's better against players like that for her to just stand her ground and accept that a few winners will get past her.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #97

I just saw that Caro has been given a walkover into the QF because Petko withdrew. I know it's not her fault, but this woman's luck is starting to get on my nerves.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #98
country flag Sinclair

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I just saw that Caro has been given a walkover into the QF because Petko withdrew. I know it's not her fault, butthis woman's luck is starting to get on my nerves.
Yes. You are not the only one who feels this way. It's quite annoying, considering that I didn't like her getting a WC for this tournament in the first place. Ugh.

I think that Bouchard will have to use some tactics of playing to Sam's weakness if she wants to have a chance. Sure, it won't be on the level of JJ, but she could make things difficult.

As mentioned before, Sam was using a good, smart variety of shots. During her Monday practice, she was working on some of this with Dave. It's refreshing to see, and even nicer because it worked well for her in the match. Of course, I still love to see the big badass super-high-powered topspin FH's and serves, but at least she is using her arsenal to her advantage.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #99

As usual the people doing the scheduling have shown a complete disregard for the interests of the players. Rather than making use of the cancelled Caro-Petko match to relieve a bit of pressure on the rain-affected schedule, they shifted Mattek-Sands/Keys on to BJK. Now that match is delayed (they didn't see the rain coming?), everything is pushed back, so any slim chance there ever was that Sam would get on court tonight is probably already shot to pieces.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #100
country flag Sinclair

Latest news from the FCC....Sam's match is scheduled after the Goerges match that was postponed today. The sky has cleared and they will be playing starting at 6pm, so Sam will have to wait for Jules to finish.

Go Sam!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #101

If the weather holds and Sam gets her match finished today that will be a huge bonus (assuming she wins of course). Normally I don't think it's an issue if Sam has to double up and play 2 matches in a day, but with her injury still a bit iffy I don't think it's a good idea if it can be avoided.

I'm afraid tonight's match is going to get going a bit late for me, so I will leave Sam in your capable hands. Don't forget to cheer her on to a convincing win
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #102

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

So, the Goerges match has been moved to Althea Gibson stadium, and Sam and Eugenie are *meant* to be on centre court any time now. Except apparently the centre court still looks like a swamp, whereas AG is fine

Not sure what's going to happen. Hope the weather's not too bad for B and Sinclair

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #103
country flag Sinclair

The grounds crew on BJK are still working to dry the court....with towels. Towels.

AG court is fine. Too bad it's not Sam's court.

It stopped raining a few hours ago, but it's still a bit chilly and windy. We are, of course, waiting patiently.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
The grounds crew on BJK are still working to dry the court....with towels. Towels.

AG court is fine. Too bad it's not Sam's court.

It stopped raining a few hours ago, but it's still a bit chilly and windy. We are, of course, waiting patiently.
You'd think they would have built the court with the contingency of rain in mind, but I guess not. From memory it was raining before Sam's match with Errani at the French last year, but it took only half an hour or so to make the court playable

If Julia can wrap up her match against Voegele quickly, maybe Sam will get shafted onto AG.

Stay warm guys

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
As usual the people doing the scheduling have shown a complete disregard for the interests of the players. Rather than making use of the cancelled Caro-Petko match to relieve a bit of pressure on the rain-affected schedule, they shifted Mattek-Sands/Keys on to BJK. Now that match is delayed (they didn't see the rain coming?), everything is pushed back, so any slim chance there ever was that Sam would get on court tonight is probably already shot to pieces.
Yeah, when I saw Caro-Petko had been cancelled I thought that there would be no way that Sam could not be on court at 7pm. But instead they seem to have made the schedule as risky as possible, and assumed that everything would go perfectly rain-wise

Last edited by SilverPersian : Apr 5th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.