Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 103 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1531
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

since my dissertation will be a critical review of Agassi's Open, I am right now going through the book and I wonder if you have ever read it. It's a great shot inside tennis champions' lifes and I see so many treats of Caroline's career in there as well...thoughts?

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1532
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
How much (if at all) Caroline goes up in the rankings won't depend on Caroline's level of play alone though. Top three - forget about it. Serena, Masha and Vika have clearly seperated themselves from the rest of the field....
At the AO Serena lost to Stephens & Maria was in the other half losing to Li.
Caro didnt get to Vika (who only played Stephens & nonseeds until the AO final).

Caro cant treat January as a warmup where she loses to Pervak & Sveta twice.
January is half her year, one of the hardcourt majors.
In her career, Caro has one fourth round win in Wimbledon & French Open combined.
The only time she ever made a run at a major was hardcourt. Whatever she is doing during the offseason is destroying her career. She cant come into January thinking she needs 2 months to get into form.

Look at McIlroy. He passed some UNICEF trip he had planned to play this week. Thats because he's desperate for some form before the Masters. At least he has until April. First tennis major is January and Caro has to be ready to do well. Thats the only place Vika has ever won a major, and Caro could have, should have been in the 2011 final, and now has become a noncontender there
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1533
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
since my dissertation will be a critical review of Agassi's Open, I am right now going through the book and I wonder if you have ever read it. It's a great shot inside tennis champions' lifes and I see so many treats of Caroline's career in there as well...thoughts?
I didnt read it. I read a review that said he took illegal drugs, tanked big matches & wore a rug on his head. And that he said he stopped taking drugs right before ATP could sue him. So i dont believe his details, I think lawyers determined details, but he took illegal drugs, tanked matches, and was a creep. Thats enough for me
Agassi should be in another thread. Caro's career has enough problems to fill this thread 100 times over

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1534
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
At the AO Serena lost to Stephens & Maria was in the other half losing to Li.
Caro didnt get to Vika (who only played Stephens & nonseeds until the AO final).
"Seperated themselves from the rest of the field" doesn't mean that they will never lose a match. But if two or all three of them show up at a big event like a slam, a premier mandatory/premier5 or YEC it's 90% certain that one of them will walk away with the title. And the remaining 10% is made up of Li Na, Radwanska and the unpredictable Kvitova. Actually, Li Na is floating somewhere between the two. I can see her winning even another slam. Not saying that she will, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she did either.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1535
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Miami was a big setback. It's consistency I want to see right now and that was something that put a dent in that, It does make it harder because every setback like that gives added belief to the other players that they can beat her and you have to go along long time consistently winning against these lower ranked players before they no longer inwardly believe they can beat her.

So I'm hoping she can pick up at Charleston and play like she began at AO and through till IW and make Miami a one tournament blip. And if she could win the tornament - that would put her in a good frame of mind for the clay season rather than start it against a backdrop of her performance in Miami.

As far as rankings - I'm not too bothered about them. I just want Caro to play well, get her consistency back and always make it to the top players. Having said that - making the YEC is really important which is one reason I rarely look at the rankings now but do look at the race. Caro is currently #7 in the race. So long as Miami is a blip - she's on course. But Miami was so disappointing.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Apr 1st, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1536
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
"Seperated themselves from the rest of the field" doesn't mean that they will never lose a match. But if two or all three of them show up at a big event like a slam, a premier mandatory/premier5 or YEC it's 90% certain that one of them will walk away with the title. And the remaining 10% is made up of Li Na, Radwanska and the unpredictable Kvitova. Actually, Li Na is floating somewhere between the two. I can see her winning even another slam. Not saying that she will, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she did either.
Losing to Sharapova 26 26 was the first time she played a big 3 since she lost 06 36 to Serena at the Olympics. Almost a full year between reaching a big 3 player in the draw.
So Caro cant even think about being on that level, but she has to get past players like Pervak, Muguruza, Wang, and Kuznetsova. Thats 5 of her 8 losses in 8 tournaments so far

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1537
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Look at McIlroy. He passed some UNICEF trip he had planned to play this week. Thats because he's desperate for some form before the Masters. At least he has until April. First tennis major is January and Caro has to be ready to do well. Thats the only place Vika has ever won a major, and Caro could have, should have been in the 2011 final, and now has become a noncontender there
Interesting you bring up McIlroy so I'll link this to Caro at the end. But McIlroy is under big pressure to find his form, he's obviously recently signed a well publicised $250m sponsorship deal. Every day his form stays bad is hurting Nike, he's had a well publicised change of golf clubs of which may have nothing to do with his dip in form, but they right are an easy excuse/target and thus every day his current form goes on hurts Nike. Supposedly Nike are not happy at all with McIlroy's start to the year, and he's being urged that he has to find his form before The Masters which starts next week (where a lot more eyes will be watching his form), so it's likely Nike have urged him to play this week (this is from UK newspapers).

Bringing this to Caro, you have to wonder if she is under any sort of similar pressures. She's under-performing, is there any pressure on her to get better? We know famously Nike had a "pep-talk" with Serena when she was under-performing many years ago.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1538
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Interesting you bring up McIlroy...

Bringing this to Caro, you have to wonder if she is under any sort of similar pressures. She's under-performing, is there any pressure on her to get better? We know famously Nike had a "pep-talk" with Serena when she was under-performing many years ago.
Caro might need a sports psychiatrist. Starting down 1-5 to Muguruza at a hardcourt mandatory, after losing set 1 to Pliskova. Down 2-6 to Sveta at the AO, down 2-6 to Begu at USO, down 1-6, 1-5 to Kanepi at RG.
She might need mental help to focus in the first hour of an important match

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1539
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting you bring up McIlroy so I'll link this to Caro at the end. But McIlroy is under big pressure to find his form, he's obviously recently signed a well publicised $250m sponsorship deal. Every day his form stays bad is hurting Nike, he's had a well publicised change of golf clubs of which may have nothing to do with his dip in form, but they right are an easy excuse/target and thus every day his current form goes on hurts Nike. Supposedly Nike are not happy at all with McIlroy's start to the year, and he's being urged that he has to find his form before The Masters which starts next week (where a lot more eyes will be watching his form), so it's likely Nike have urged him to play this week (this is from UK newspapers).

I haven't heard of Caro being under such pressures. Her contracts weren't really huge and high profile like Rory's. My guess is that such pressures generally aren't helpful to performance and probably hurt it some though.

As far as I'm concerned, Caro being dropped potentially by some sponsors isn't a big deal. She's made a lot of money just in prize money alone not to mention endorsements. She should be financially set for her life after tennis already.

Clothing and racquet deals are common and with her looks and top 10ish status it's hard for me to imagine Caro not getting offered those type of deals should she be dropped by Adidas and Yonex.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1540
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I haven't heard of Caro being under such pressures. Her contracts weren't really huge and high profile like Rory's. My guess is that such pressures generally aren't helpful to performance and probably hurt it some though.
While it's added pressure. It's a kick up the backside, I have no doubt that Rory will find his game at some point. And maybe it's what Caro needs, a kick up the backside, because right now there seems no turnaround in form in sight. Sometimes you need pressure to spur you on to perform.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1541
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caro might need a sports psychiatrist. Starting down 1-5 to Muguruza at a hardcourt mandatory, after losing set 1 to Pliskova. Down 2-6 to Sveta at the AO, down 2-6 to Begu at USO, down 1-6, 1-5 to Kanepi at RG.
She might need mental help to focus in the first hour of an important match
It's not mental. It's a lot down to her not getting used to the feel of the ball, the speed of the courts etc straightaway. And the shorter the rallies - the worse it is.

I'm not worried about her AO Sveta loss because she played well that match. She started playing much better than in her warm-up tournaments. Sure she didn't win but she played miles better against her than in the USO where she did win. I tend to agree with most of your posts but lose interest in your whole post once you lump that in the same breath.

Anyway she's always needed time to find her rhythm and get into a match (remember the slow starts in all her matches vs JJ when she turned around that H2H against her). Vika also has had problems in the 1st set - and against Sveta - but she turned it around. But yes - Caro's problem at the start has got worse. I don't know the answer but I'm sure it's the above tennis reason and a tennis psychiatrist is not going to help her there. She needs to stop gifting UEs at the start - but she's not got a feel for the ball then.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Apr 1st, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1542
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didnt read it. I read a review that said he took illegal drugs, tanked big matches & wore a rug on his head. And that he said he stopped taking drugs right before ATP could sue him. So i dont believe his details, I think lawyers determined details, but he took illegal drugs, tanked matches, and was a creep. Thats enough for me
Agassi should be in another thread. Caro's career has enough problems to fill this thread 100 times over
first of all it's very well written and very deep on a lot of issues...I was asking because according to the book, Andre struggled with confidence for most of his early career, even when he was seen as a phenomenon, when he was in the top of the ATP ranking, but couldn't win a slam. He was strongly criticised for that and he suffered because of this...even after winning his first GS he had such confidence issues and in the end he had to go back to basis, change coach and only after that and a whole year of struggling he could become the champion he had been...

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM   #1543
country flag goldenlox

I mention the 1st set vs Sveta at Melbourne because once you lose the first set like that, Sveta knows she can take a breather in set 2 and fight again in set 3. Vika won set 1 vs Sveta, and Sveta offered little resistance after that.
So I think slow starts in big matches is very relevant, because it builds her opponents confidence.

Her level has dropped from early 2011. thats for sure. But she also used to start well and rarely lose a first set. 2011 Dubai, won all her 1st sets, most by a wide margin. Same with Doha until the final in 2011. Only lost 1 first set at 2011 IW. She won 2 titles & 14 of 15 matches, but only lost 1 first set in those 14 wins.
Now going into Charleston, she's lost her 1st set 4 matches in a row.

So I think all of them might be relevant, especially against majors when losing to non YEC players

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1544
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Adidas might not be as demanding as Nike is within the tennis realm.AI signed a huge,lifetime personal services contract with Adidas,and even her fans have accused her of remaining an active player merely to fulfill minimum terms of that contract.It's believed that Adidas angrily pressured her when she reached her slutty depths(eventually dropping out of the Top 60!).Heinz Gunthardt basically salvaged her career and allowed her to maintain the pretense of being a pro tennis player(for NOW),and the sweet angel was so grateful that she fired him at season's end....Caroline's ranking and level have dropped off a bit from her 2010-2011 level,but she's almost a DREAM when you compare her to other wastes-of-endorsement(life)

Off-topic: Mitten Kitten,"lifes" is not a word;with most all English words when an 'f' is the last pronounced letter,the 'f' changes to a 'v' in the plural form...so it's "lives"

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Don't you just love it when someone rambles aimlessly for 5 minutes and then says, "To make a long story short"?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1545
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. Apparently tennis tournaments are something to be scheduled in between watching golf and exhibition matches.

Wozniacki said part of her motivation to play Charleston was that she's hanging around this region to watch Rory at the Masters.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/st...79416807362560

While her competitors are training hard on red clay, Caro will be busy watching golf.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread