Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 102 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1516
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

[1] Serena Williams
Mandy Minella vs. Camila Giorgi
Q vs. Kristina Mladenovic
Anna Tatishvili vs. [15] Sabine Lisicki

[11] Sorana Cirstea vs. Tatjana Malek
Arantxa Rus vs. Anabel Medina Garrigues
Romina Oprandi vs. Mirjana Lucic-Baroni
[6] Lucie Safarova

[4] Sloane Stephens
Anastasia Rodionova vs. [WC] Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Alexandra Cadantu vs. Madison Keys
Q vs. [13] Tamira Paszek

[12] Varvara Lepchenko vs. Christina McHale
Melinda Czink vs. Mathilde Johansson
Monica Puig vs. Andrea Hlavackova
[5] Venus Williams

[8] Mona Barthel
Garbine Muguruza vs. Q
Chanelle Scheepers vs. Q
Melanie Oudin vs. [9] Jelena Jankovic

[16] Laura Robson vs. Estrella Cabeza Candela
Q vs. Q
Daniela Hantuchova vs. Marina Erakovic
[3] Samantha Stosur

[7] Carla Suarez Navarro
Stefanie Voegele vs. Q
Jamie Hampton vs. Olga Govortsova
Yulia Putintseva vs. [10] Julia Goerges

[14] Yaroslava Shvedova vs. Q
[WC] Andrea Petkovic vs. [WC] Taylor Townsend
Francesca Schiavone vs. Silvia Soler-Espinosa
[2WC] Caroline Wozniacki
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1517
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I've already gave my opinion on her coaching situation many times.
Caroline & her team have shown what NOT to do.
She blew up a very promising career at a time when she should have been fine tuning things. Improving while maintaining the integrity of her consistent defensive style. Instead she became an inconsistent mentally soft, not confident player. 2 years later, she's still there. Not consistent, not confident, not winning titles and often losing early on outside courts.

She still can save things, but losing to Pervak after being up a set showed that whatever she's doing in the offseason, its setting her back, not taking her forward.
They had better think hard on taking her game forward, because her current situation wont improve based on her current level

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1518
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
On coaches - I think there is far too much speculation here about it supposedly proving that Caro isn't motivated or that she's content or whatever because she stays with Piotr. I don't believe Caro staying with Piotr prove any such thing. But there is no doubt that there is a deep underlying trust she has for him built up over many years which has just not been there for her other coaches. The amount of deep down trust and confidence (as opposed to intellectually agreeing with her coach) will be tested the most during matches when she has bad defeats and when things don't go well in a match.

Anyway in summary - nothing to do with Caro being content - I think it's totally unrealistic that Caro will just completely replace Piotr whatever her results. For it to work - the coach must be an inner part of the team, 100% always there and that Piotr and the coach must be completely at one so that Caro regards what each says with confidence and they never contradict to cause her confusion.
I agree with most of your post. A couple of points though, any confidence Piotr is providing Caro with isn't really showing itself on the court atm. In a number of matches she looks completely devoid of confidence. You get confidence if you believe in what you have is good enough to win, for whatever reason Piotr isn't instilling confidence in Caroline for the majority of big matches.

Secondly I think the last paragraph is true within reason. Caroline says she believes she is improving and can get back towards the top, and we'll only see within time. I personally think that begins to become a tough sell if she doesn't qualify for Istanbul again, at which point your team has to be looked at for its inadequacies.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:49 AM   #1519
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Firstly I do think there is a degree of "hot air" to some of what Caro says. When she said a few months ago "my goal this year is to win a grand slam." I find it hard to believe she truly believes that is coming, it comes across as PR talk. Once upon a time it would be easy to convince yourself that winning a grand slam was almost a formality (and with good reason), right now I find it hard to believe she believes she is close to slam winning level.

Secondly tbf she isn't really dropping in the rankings anymore, her decline in that sense has halted in that she's not getting any worse. She's stagnated in her curve now and in the rankings. We don't really have any idea if she believes the solution to regaining elite status is in sight. We can base our own opinions on what we see going on in her career, but even we don't really have the full picture of what's going on behind the scenes, and we're certainly not in Caro's mind to know what she is thinking.

Really the crux of the argument is in a vacuum I think Caro would be better off with a differing coaching team. But in practice I know it could only work if Caro also wants it, there is no "in a vacuum" when applied to reality. There is obviously some emotional attachment to Piotr, but we also just don't know if she truly believes she can turn it around with Piotr or not.
Agree with all of this except for your suspicion that Caroline was deliberately blowing smoke with the Slam talk.Though you MIGHT be right,I consider it at least semi plausible that Caroline was thinking,'new year,fresh start,new opportunities'.If she said it NOW,then I'd be far more inclined to go along with your premise...unless Caroline offered a disclaimer such as,"I realize that I haven't shown tremendous progress towards that goal yet...",an honest acknowledgment.

'Terjw' offered some good arguments once again;I agree that the ideal situation would be having a legit,successful coach who worked WITH Piotr,but I'm not really clear on just how co-operative Piotr is or isn't.I don't think that he willfully sabotaged Caro's relationships with Sanchez or TJ;however,I'm not convinced that he would do his level best to encourage a strong professional bond,either,if it meant that he had less control over Caro's career.

It's also true that retaining Piotr as coach doesn't prove,in any way,that Caroline is content with less-than-elite play.All the same,if her ranking plummeted and she still stubbornly refused to consider a change,the circumstantial evidence would be more compelling

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1520
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Caroline says she believes she is improving and can get back towards the top, and we'll only see within time. I personally think that begins to become a tough sell if she doesn't qualify for Istanbul again, at which point your team has to be looked at for its inadequacies.
I think even if she makes the YEC, she has to make changes if she doesnt finish top 4.
She cant have an off season where she's not ready to beat Pervak. January is hardcourt Premiers and a hardcourt major.
That will be one of her best chances if she is ever going to win a major. She has to be ready for her best when the AO starts, and take that tournament very seriously.
She ended last year like she would be a force in 2013, then started this year like she's worse than ever.

Even though its clay now, she has to try hard and get points. She cant keep losing to Pervak and Muguruza at Premier tournaments, on any surface.

Does she want to save her career or not? She has to start the year understanding there is a hardcourt major soon. And she has to start being a contender when its not hardcourt

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1521
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I think even if she makes the YEC, she has to make changes if she doesnt finish top 4.
She cant have an off season where she's not ready to beat Pervak. January is hardcourt Premiers and a hardcourt major.
That will be one of her best chances if she is ever going to win a major. She has to be ready for her best when the AO starts, and take that tournament very seriously.
She ended last year like she would be a force in 2013, then started this year like she's worse than ever.

Even though its clay now, she has to try hard and get points. She cant keep losing to Pervak and Muguruza at Premier tournaments, on any surface.

Does she want to save her career or not? She has to start the year understanding there is a hardcourt major soon. And she has to start being a contender when its not hardcourt
I agree with you goldenlox. I said in one of my previous posts how just qualifying for Istanbul should be the minimum requirement, and that finishing like #7 or #8 shouldn't really be seen as a great success. My point was more this idea that she sells that she is improving and has her game back becomes an impossible sell if she didn't make Istanbul. In your case, lets be realistic the chances of her finishing top 4 already seem very minimal.

I do find it worrying (like your post hints at) that Caro never seems to use training blocks well these days, because that to me would seem to indicate her current team don't have the answers.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1522
country flag goldenlox

She seems to go backwards the last 2 offseasons. She finished 2011 with a SF at the US Open, losing to Serena, was still #1.
She goes into 2012 and doesnt beat a YEC player for several tournaments. Besides Miami & Copenhagen, her whole 1st 8 months of 2012 were a mess.
She ends 2012 with 3 finals in 5 tournaments, and again she's worse the start of 2013.

This time she took McIlroy with her. He's a mess so far this year. He's lucky Tiger Woods is playing so well, or McIlroy's terrible start to 2013 would be one of the biggest stories in sports

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1523
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, even before this slump Caro tended to start her seasons slowly.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1524
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
To be fair, even before this slump Caro tended to start her seasons slowly.
I dont agree. In 2010 she lost to Li, not Pervak. 2011 she lost to Domi (who also beat her at Wimbledon) but had a good AO until the SF choke vs Li. 2011 she was about 24 wins 5 losses, this time of the year. I think she was 24-3 from start of AO to her loss in Miami to Petkovic

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1525
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Don't agree that ONLY Top 4 would signify decent progress;if,let's say,Caroline finished the year #5 and was reasonably solid in every upcoming Slam,then I wouldn't call that 'stagnation'.However,if she merely holds her current ranking and never goes more than 1 or 2 spots above that,then yes,this year probably won't have amounted to much by season's end.....Am taking off so Nos Vemos,folks

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1526
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Question is it possible that Caro can get back too number 9 in the ranking after this event if she go far enough ?

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 03:52 AM   #1527
country flag Robert77

Robert77 has disabled reputation

Yes, it is possible back too number 9, but Caro must play at least in the final in Charleston. I hope Caroline can do it, maybe rematch (Moscow final) against Sam Stosur in SF.
Robert77 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1528
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Don't agree that ONLY Top 4 would signify decent progress;if,let's say,Caroline finished the year #5 and was reasonably solid in every upcoming Slam,then I wouldn't call that 'stagnation'.However,if she merely holds her current ranking and never goes more than 1 or 2 spots above that,then yes,this year probably won't have amounted to much by season's end.....
How much (if at all) Caroline goes up in the rankings won't depend on Caroline's level of play alone though. Top three - forget about it. Serena, Masha and Vika have clearly seperated themselves from the rest of the field.

But top five also sounds pretty unlikely to me at this point. Radwanska is sorta in the position that Caroline was in a few years ago - rarely beating other members of the top five, but beating everyone else almost everytime. And Li Na has a newfound focus since she started working with Rodriguez and is now a lot more consistent than she used to be and a legitimate contender at every event she enters. Since all of those five are thousands of points in front of Caro our girl would not just have to play as well as them to catch up before the year is over, she would have to play better than them, or one of them anyway.

It's not impossible that Caro will overtake a few girls more directly in front of her, but even that is far from certain. Kerber might be a likely victim since she seems to be going through a slump herself. Kvitova - perhaps. But you know better than most that she's a peaks and valleys player, and if she's at a peak at the right time of the season it's back to glory glory hallelujah in no time as far as Petra is concerned. Many predicted that Errani would take a nosedive this year, but that hasn't really happened. On the contrary, and we're getting to what should be her best part of the season.

On the positive side for Caroline, she doesn't really have that much to defend for the next five or six months. Especially her record at the three remaining slams last year was dreadful. So it shouldn't be that hard to improve on her results there and make up some ground. But I don't expect, let alone count on her leapfrogging that many players in front of her in the rankings. If everything goes well she might overtake one or two of them and qualify for the YEC though.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1529
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
How much (if at all) Caroline goes up in the rankings won't depend on Caroline's level of play alone though. Top three - forget about it. Serena, Masha and Vika have clearly seperated themselves from the rest of the field.

But top five also sounds pretty unlikely to me at this point. Radwanska is sorta in the position that Caroline was in a few years ago - rarely beating other members of the top five, but beating everyone else almost everytime. And Li Na has a newfound focus since she started working with Rodriguez and is now a lot more consistent than she used to be and a legitimate contender at every event she enters. Since all of those five are thousands of points in front of Caro our girl would not just have to play as well as them to catch up before the year is over, she would have to play better than them, or one of them anyway.

It's not impossible that Caro will overtake a few girls more directly in front of her, but even that is far from certain. Kerber might be a likely victim since she seems to be going through a slump herself. Kvitova - perhaps. But you know better than most that she's a peaks and valleys player, and if she's at a peak at the right time of the season it's back to glory glory hallelujah in no time as far as Petra is concerned. Many predicted that Errani would take a nosedive this year, but that hasn't really happened. On the contrary, and we're getting to what should be her best part of the season.

On the positive side for Caroline, she doesn't really have that much to defend for the next five or six months. Especially her record at the three remaining slams last year was dreadful. So it shouldn't be that hard to improve on her results there and make up some ground. But I don't expect, let alone count on her leapfrogging that many players in front of her in the rankings. If everything goes well she might overtake one or two of them and qualify for the YEC though.
Agree with all of this except you failed to acknowledge that Caroline CAN,conceivably,play a role in how well those ahead of her do.

At this point,she could meet one of those non-Top 3 players...and BEAT her...in a Slam 4th Round or later rounds of a Premier.Not only could Caroline close the points gap a little bit(maybe a LOT if the defeated player had lots to defend at that event),she could,hypothetically,demoralize her beaten opponent depending on how impressive the victory was...possibly even discouraging the vanquished foe such that her results tailed off for a stretch.To re-iterate,those are HYPOTHETICAL scenarios,yet they are hardly impossible to bring about

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1530
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Agree with all of this except you failed to acknowledge that Caroline CAN,conceivably,play a role in how well those ahead of her do.

At this point,she could meet one of those non-Top 3 players...and BEAT her...in a Slam 4th Round or later rounds of a Premier.Not only could Caroline close the points gap a little bit(maybe a LOT if the defeated player had lots to defend at that event),she could,hypothetically,demoralize her beaten opponent depending on how impressive the victory was...possibly even discouraging the vanquished foe such that her results tailed off for a stretch.To re-iterate,those are HYPOTHETICAL scenarios,yet they are hardly impossible to bring about
That's not impossible, I agree.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread