Remember Anna Orlik? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Remember Anna Orlik?

Anna was one of the most promising players of the last decade and was supposed to be the next big thing in tennis.

2006: At the age of 13 she played her first ITF junior tournaments and won 2 of them already.

2007: Still 13, won another ITF junior tournament in January and in February won Les Petits As, the unnoficial 12-14 world champiosnhips in Europe. Defeated Eugenie Bouchard 64 61 there. She would still win 4 more junior tournaments that year. Played her first pro tournaments that year and won a match in $50K Minsk as a WC before falling against top seed Rezai 57 62 63. She ended the year playing the U18 Orange Bowl where she upset Sloane Stephens 63 60.

2008: As a 14 yo, started the year in the juniors winning a Grade 2 and losing a final in a Grade 1 and started the pros in $25K Stockholm where she qualified and defeated Mandy Minella in main draw 60 60. Played her first WTA tournament in Amelia Island where she got a MDWC and lost vs 9th seed and top 20 player Sybille Bammer 63 76. The following month she would reach her first pro final in $10K Vic although she did not show up for the final. Later in the year she played her first Grand Slam Junior in Roland Garros winning her first matches in singles and doubles. While the rest of the year was not that good she still upset Timea Babos 62 62 on grass and won the Eddie Herr in doubles partnering Laura Robson.

2009: Still only 15, Anna started the year in the Australian Open where she reached the quarterfinals in both singles and doubles. Won the singles and doubles titles in a Mexican junior tournament before heading to WTA Acapulco where she got a MDWC. Lost vs Agnes Szavay 75 75 in first round. In the second half of the year she focused on $10K pro tournaments and in her last 5 tournaments lost 4 finals and 1 semifinal. At the end of the year she played the last 2 junior tournaments of her career and won the doubles in both of them (Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl) and lost against Keys and Kumkhum in singles there.

2010: After a year where she gave up on juniors (she could have still played 2010 and 2011) she did not do much on the pro tour and retired at the end of the year at the age of 17. She would never play again professionally.

She turned 20 a few weeks ago and she is now training young kids in her native Belarus. She travels with them in tennis tournaments around Europe. Quite sad for a player who showed so much promise to end like that but who knows, she is still so young and may give it a go in the future. This week she took one of her pupils to a junior tournament in Portugal and got interviewed there

spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future
Re: Remember Anna Orlik?

Thanks for an interesting post, spiceboy. Did she ever give a reason for retiring? Was it a serious injury?

And beating Minella 60 60
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding, from a good source - is that she was simply more interested in coaching/mentoring, instead of actually playing it professionally herself.
Shes not the first person to be in this position, won't be the last either. Although I do wish she could have played for longer.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #4
country flag Chilenaitor

Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future

please comeback!
Chilenaitor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #5
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
My understanding, from a good source - is that she was simply more interested in coaching/mentoring, instead of actually playing it professionally herself.
The thought of an extremely talented junior player who is more interested in coaching/mentoring instead of giving a go at going pro is just puzzling (to say the least). But if that is what she really wants good for her I guess.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
The thought of an extremely talented junior player who is more interested in coaching/mentoring instead of giving a go at going pro is just puzzling (to say the least). But if that is what she really wants good for her I guess.
In what was is it puzzling? I can absolutely relate to her point of view.

A lot of young players are coached for many hours every week from a very early age, which has a massive negative effect on their education and social lives. For some people the love for tennis, isn't worth the sacrifices you have to make.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
country flag tenace

tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice tenace is just really nice

Totally agree with you Kittyking.... 300% ! Every week you see young players behaving like kings or queen just because the parents are dreaming ... for themselves. And what to say about the attitude they have with coaches etc ... the kids consider the coaches as slave and the parents, of course, agree this attitude. If Anna decided to give up for those reasons or simply because she did not feel anymore comfortable in this world ... I tip my hat ! What is surprising me with these kids spending their time in too many tournaments, is their REAL poor level of education, sociability. Most of them are completely immature. Too many parents from some "new rich" countries are thinking that if they have money they could buy a life for their children ... and get the revenues. They consider their children's life like an investment and not like something that has to be protected and cheered.
tenace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #8
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

A lot of young players are coached for many hours every week from a very early age, which has a massive negative effect on their education and social lives. For some people the love for tennis, isn't worth the sacrifices you have to make.
Yeah . . . but becoming a full-time tennis coach doesn't seem like a choice based on hating all the time one has to put into tennis.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #9
country flag spiceboy

Quote:

Exactly, that is what puzzles me. I could understand someone giving up because does not like the enviroment, all the travelling, being away from home, you know, the usual stuff players complain about. But giving up a really promising career at such a young age without even trying only to start working as a travelling coach, yes it puzzles me. I'm not judging her and she is probably doing what makes her happy, I just wonder whether she has a permanent injury or something. All girls I've heard who quit tennis (most notable Spanish junior Ana Alcázar in the late 90s who retired at 18 after winning in consecutive years Orange Bowl U16 & U18, shortly after qualifying for her first Grand Slam MD and almost reaching the top 100) is because they wanted to live a "normal" life and go to college and do what most of us did. I don't know, it still puzzles me. She had the skills to make the Top 100 comfortably (nothing granted, true) but not even trying and being involved in that goal for someone else? Weird.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #10
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

It's curious, she and Michelle Larcher de Brito (and maybe Mldenovic) were the sure shots of 1993, and noone of them did (or is doing) what everybody expected.

It's quite rare that Orlik didn't give the circuit a try, she was obviously talented, and i know a lot of top juniors are having a tough time in pros (Gavrilova and Khromacheva come to mind right now) but she didn't even try.
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #11
country flag MarkNL

MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute MarkNL has a reputation beyond repute

Retiring at 17(!)

Arvidsson - Stosur - Lisicki - Kuwata - Nara - Krajicek - Bertens - Rus - Hogenkamp - Schoofs - Kerkhove - Burger - Giorgi - Larsson - Ishizu - Rezai - Diatchenko
MarkNL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote