Maria Sharapova: there's no doubt I'll be able to beat her. - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Sharapova eventually beat Serena before her retirement?

Yes 79 44.38%
No 69 38.76%
Maybe 30 16.85%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:29 PM   #121
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria Sharapova: there's no doubt I'll be able to beat her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreiter View Post
Ugh, you're back. Look, if you didn't see anything different yesterday from Maria then I'm sorry, that's your problem. But it's clear to all rational people that she's monumentally closer to beating Serena these days than she has been the past couple years.
I am one of those who saw something different form Maria, she definitely had more to offer and seem to have more beliefs.
But I would not go as far as saying she was close to beating Serena.

What I can say w/o hesitation is that Maria made yesterday's match much more competitive than their recent encounters spanning 2 years now.
It is a shame that she lost the final set to love, and that contributed to erasing some of the credit she built in the first 2 sets, in the mind of several posters who disagree with us.

The case they are making is as follows
If and when Serena raises her level, Maria is no competition. And the 6-0 makes a good case for that.

They even added Serena had room to raise her level even more, but she did not need to.

So, to recap, yes, Maria had a very respectful effort yesterday, but I am not prepared to say she is any close to winning against Serena.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:31 PM   #122
country flag Bad Blood
テニプリ

Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
Why do Americans like Sharapova so much? I she an honorary Yank fleeing her pov country?
She's blonde, beautiful, grew up in America, and most importantly she plays a similar game to the Williams sisters but she is not a Williams sister. When Serena and Vee came up everyone loved the game they had, they just did not like them at all. So if were to get a generic, white blonde to rise up from the ashes playing a game that is similar or superior to the sisters then a star will be born. And that's how Maria Sharapova came to be

Bad Blood is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:40 PM   #123
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
I don't see her defeating her any time soon. Serena keeps improving and getting better with age.
Yeah, she'll probably be better at 38 than at 27.
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:42 PM   #124
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyElectric. View Post
Who you tryna shade?
There's a few players this could apply to, but that's beside the point. I was giving an example of what an easy option would have been, and how refusing to take that option is what sets the best players apart.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM   #125

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
There's a few players this could apply to, but that's beside the point. I was giving an example of what an easy option would have been, and how refusing to take that option is what sets the best players apart.
That's far from being beside the point.

To slip down the rankings after an injury is never an "easy option", players slump and never return to their best for very different reasons, and every case is a different one; you just cannot compare them.

You make it sound like Sharapova was a sort of superwoman and the rest were lazy by comparation. It surely took a lot of effort for her to get back to the top of the game after her injury, but I don't think that other players in similar situations, like Safina, failed because they didn't try hard enough or took the easy way out. That's pretty ridiculous.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:08 PM   #126
country flag MrWaagh
Venus fan!

MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Maria really believes this

MrWaagh is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM   #127

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
That's far from being beside the point.

To slip down the rankings after an injury is never an "easy option", players slump and never return to their best for very different reasons, and every case is a different one; you just cannot compare them.

You make it sound like Sharapova was a sort of superwoman and the rest were lazy by comparation. It surely took a lot of effort for her to get back to the top of the game after her injury, but I don't think that other players in similar situations, like Safina, failed because they didn't try hard enough or took the easy way out. That's pretty ridiculous.
This is why I didn't single out any player - I was talking about Maria specifically. For Maria, her easy option would have been to slide down to the 20s and not ever get back to the top, but she didn't take the easy option, and that's why she is a top player.

Safina is a completely different situation - for one her options are not the options Maria had.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:46 PM   #128
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maria's story is at least somewhat exceptional also because the road back was very long and she stayed on it. It took a lot of strength to do that. I'm not saying all other players fail because they don't try hard enough, certainly not Safina. But i don't know many players in actual tennis who came back from a severe injury to where Maria is now. Maybe Serena but her injury was more life threatening than tennis threatening.

I do know a lot of players who were once ranked very high and then fell down the rankings without even being injured. Some of them will get it together i think but for me Maria compares very positively with this lot.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:52 PM   #129

Quote:
This is why I didn't single out any player - I was talking about Maria specifically. For Maria, her easy option would have been to slide down to the 20s and not ever get back to the top, but she didn't take the easy option, and that's why she is a top player.

Safina is a completely different situation - for one her options are not the options Maria had.
Quote:
After her shoulder injury and serving troubles, not to mention the psychological blows of being beaten badly by her rivals, Sharapova has stuck at it and keeps sticking at it. A lesser player in the same situation would probably just slip down the rankings, hover around the top 20 and forget the days she was No. 1 and a Grand Slam champion. But not Sharapova.
This tenacity, strength and spirit is why I'm her fan.
You are talking specifically about Sharapova, but obviously comparing them with other players, even if you don't name them.

To say that these players took the easy option, without knowing absolutely nothing of their personal circumstances sounds ignorant and certainly demeaning towards them. You could equally have put Martha on an altar without doing that.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:02 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
Maria's story is at least somewhat exceptional also because the road back was very long and she stayed on it. It took a lot of strength to do that. I'm not saying all other players fail because they don't try hard enough, certainly not Safina. But i don't know many players in actual tennis who came back from a severe injury to where Maria is now. Maybe Serena but her injury was more life threatening than tennis threatening.

I do know a lot of players who were once ranked very high and then fell down the rankings without even being injured. Some of them will get it together i think but for me Maria compares very positively with this lot.
No need to compare her with any lot, because it implies a lack of commitment or effort from other players in similar situations. No one is happy for not getting back to his/her best level after an injury.

Every case is a different one, and you can praise Martha for her hard working ethics; I agree, but there's no need to drag others and make comparations, because from that moment it starts to sound like simple overpraise and biased favouritism.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:09 PM   #131
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

pling is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:16 PM   #132
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No need to compare her with any lot, because it implies a lack of commitment or effort from other players in similar situations. No one is happy for not getting back to his/her best level after an injury.

Every case is a different one, and you can praise Martha for her hard working ethics; I agree, but there's no need to drag others and make comparations, because from that moment it starts to sound like simple overpraise and biased favouritism.
The problem with comparisons is that i/we just don't know for sure. But it seems to me that whatever the reason, Ana for instance doesn't work as hard to come back. Or she would have been more muscular and fitter at this point in her career. JJ admitted to finding the tour very tiring ~ 2 years ago and hasn't really found it within herself to return to form. Both players weren't even injured. What Maria did is something special i feel and it's certainly not favoritism on my part as i'm not a big fan of hers.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:22 PM   #133
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

This loss def hurt. She talks too much, she's already feeding Serena motivational words, she should just hit the practice courts & keep improving
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:25 PM   #134
country flag WonderFan

WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute

Pova came this year with bulkier biceps and shoulders, tried some tactics for this match, I won't even say strategy, and had a more split score, 6-4. But when Serena anihilated her tactics, it was on the fly. Even that pova called her coach, it was down what they got then. She was like saying to hogsted 'it worked for a while, now it's over, give me a new one'. To defeat Serena, you gotta win two sets, that simple.

If it's such an important goal for her to have ONE victory over Serena, she may even get it someday, but... is that a goal?
What she is trying is to capitalize ($$$) one set won.
WonderFan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 09:01 PM   #135

Quote:
You are talking specifically about Sharapova, but obviously comparing them with other players, even if you don't name them.

To say that these players took the easy option, without knowing absolutely nothing of their personal circumstances sounds ignorant and certainly demeaning towards them. You could equally have put Martha on an altar without doing that.
Okay, I'll fess up. The only player I had in mind in the slightest was Ivanovic. And her slide down the rankings has nothing to do with a serious long-term injury, but her own patheticness. Safina didn't even remotely cross my mind.

But the primary point I was making and the entire point of the second half of my comment is that if you put the vast majority of other players in the situation Sharapova was in, they would not have returned to the top in the way she has. This is not a slight on Safina, or a player in a similar situation to her, and I've said this already, so stop pretending it is.

edit: and the reason I didn't name Ivanovic to begin with was because I didn't want unnecessary drama... I clearly underestimated the power of GM to create drama out of anything.

Last edited by AnnieIWillKnow : Mar 31st, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
AnnieIWillKnow is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread