Miami 2013: Hometown Glory? - Page 90 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1336
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miami 2013: Hometown Glory?

She wasn't really THAT close though. It's not like she served for the match. She was simply up a break mid-set. Means nothing against Serena. I'm more annoyed at the fucking bagel.

Les reines de Paris.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1337
country flag Marga.

Marga. has disabled reputation

That's all right, she still fought a great fight.
Marga. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1338
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky80 View Post
Of course she does, but why wouldn't she? Despite beating Maria all these years, despite all of Serena's majors, despite being the best player of her generation, Maria still gets more money and attention. I'd want to spank her ass every time I played her as well.
I have to interject here. Serena gets plenty of attention in the US and is often one of the few female tennis players casual fans recognize. Hell she has far more Twitter followers than Maria!

However, Maria does have more endorsements and that's due to good old fashion racism which is not exactly Maria's fault. So Serena needs to lash out at the American culture that's still steeped in white privilege and not take it out on Maria!

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1339
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisvampire View Post
Well perhaps if Serena wasn't such a bully and acting the way she does on the court, maybe she'd have it as well. I think people forget that USO 2009 (and why not add USO 2011) too easily.
Well, lets be honest here. Along with her attitude, Serena's race and unconventional body plays apart in the reason why her appeal is limited. I know that doesn't come into play with most tennis fans, but it does come into play.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1340
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisvampire View Post
How did she look? I couldn't even bring myself to watch it
It basically lasted 20 seconds and she didn't mention the fans or the tournament organizers. She was as quick as possible and looked like she was going to cry
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1341
MaruSharapova

MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light MaruSharapova is a glorious beacon of light

I got excited and then this is what I get... I hope she recovers from this, she looked completely heartbroken during her "speech"

If she can play this level she can beat anyone but Serena.. and that's scary. I knew Maria couldn't win at the start of the third because Serena was playing a level Maria even on her best day can't match

VenusSerenaAnaJJVika
Asians
MaruSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1342
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Nah, this goes on Maria. Serena still wasn't playing great in that second set. She wasn't acing. And she still wasn't moving that well. Maria started giving Serena short balls and hitting UEs. No more going for the lines. Her belief got zapped halfway through that second set.

Sharapova, Haas and (to a degree) Gasquet all flopped in three sets. Terrible Sony Open. Can't wait to see Nadal again
I don't know, like I said previously, she flopped at 3:4 when she was 40:15. But when she was broken, she was serving against the sun, and if I recall correctly, Serena hit like 3 (maybe even 4) winners or forced an error from Maria. And even in that 3:4 game Serena hit I think 2 strong returns on Maria's second serve, making her go for it more and thus missing it. I think in the end, the serve did make a big difference, as Maria's dipped in precision (she definitely couldn't keep up such a strong display as in the first) and Serena's was good, although still below her usual level.

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1343
country flag Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
She wasn't really THAT close though. It's not like she served for the match. She was simply up a break mid-set. Means nothing against Serena. I'm more annoyed at the fucking bagel.
Agree. Up the break in 2nd but i'm still nervous as hell. And It happened
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#36
PAW Rank:#42 TitlesNew Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#109.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1344
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

TBH though, last year's final will be a loss that lingers forever. I'm sure for all of us and Maria herself too if she never manages to win a Miami title. Inexplicable fuck-up.

Regarding Hoggy, he clearly read my post in the 'what does Hogstedt have to tell Maria to beat Serena' thread in GM, because I noticed her doing everything in this match that I posted she should do (bar the net charging) and it worked for a set and a half. Or he figured it out himself.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1345
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Welp, at least she's 1-1 in Finals going into Clay instead of 0-3. And the players she's lost to (Serena/Li Na) > than those she lost to last year at this point (Vika/Kerber/Aga). I pray to God that Maria doesn't let this match/scoreline break her, that she forgets about losing 10 games in a row and instead remembers that first set and a half.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1346
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
It was terrific performance form both women, the last time Serena played like this was when Azarenka was serving for the match at USO
Now at least Hogsted has something to analize and prepare Maria better for next matches

she wasn't acing much just because Maria's reach and slow surface...
Well, duh. Why is everyone making excuses? Maria should have won this match. Also, Aze should have won that match against Serena at the US Open. She handed her that break in the third set with three unforced errors. Maria's mental fragility comes into more than some fans seem to want to admit. It especially came into this match.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1347
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectar69 View Post
I completely disagree. I think this was a real positive for Maria when you look at the big picture. This was closer than she's come to beating Serena in a long time. She now knows for sure she can at least take a set from her. I still think on red clay Maria can beat Serena. Serena's weapons aren't as strong on clay, and it's clearly her weakest surface. And Maria has become a really good clay-courter. I would much rather see Maria beat Serena at the French Open than in Miami. I am very proud of Maria today. Another final of a tournament. She's having a great year and we should all be happy and proud of her! We're just lucky and fortunate that Maria's playing and we get to watch her play. She won't be playing forever.
and also Rena seems to have become much weaker in finals nowadays.
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1348
country flag Fiercepova
4ever ♥ Wonder Girls

Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future

She's getting closer guys. Taking a set off Serena was already unexpected. I'm so proud of our girl today, and I think we all should be despite the outcome of the match. I'm so proud of her that I'm not sad at all after the match. She fought till the end but just ran out of gas and Serena just raised her level.

Another runner-up trophy, but it's okay. You'll get it next time Maria. Now go home and give yourself a good rest. It's been a long but great month of tennis for you. You really deserve it. Then take on the clay shoes, practice hard and show us you're the truly clay queen right now.

To all my fellow Maria fans, she just had her first hard court title since August 2011, had a winning streak of 11 straight matches and lost a 3-set match to Serena. What more could you ask for? She has achieved so much in this last month. A win against Serena right now is a little soon, let's wait till the clay season.

Last edited by Fiercepova : Mar 30th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Fiercepova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1349
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well, lets be honest here. Along with her attitude, Serena's race and unconventional body plays apart in the reason why her appeal is limited. I know that doesn't come into play with most tennis fans, but it does come into play.
You're probably right, and I didn't take that into consideration because that's the last thing that would come to my mind. But I still think that her attitude plays a big role too, I know that it's not a really good comparison, but look at all the NBA stars and their endorsements, and majority of the big stars are black

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1350
country flag Icky80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
I have to interject here. Serena gets plenty of attention in the US and is often one of the few female tennis players casual fans recognize. Hell she has far more Twitter followers than Maria!

However, Maria does have more endorsements and that's due to good old fashion racism which is not exactly Maria's fault. So Serena needs to lash out at the American culture that's still steeped in white privilege and not take it out on Maria!
Well, of course I meant internationally. But hell, Serena's not as popular in America as one would expect of a person with so many grand slams.