Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 98 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1456
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Tbf while I am against Caro's current team situation. We don't know they are doing the same things. They can't be that oblivious to her decline, they have to be doing something (whether it's the right thing is up for debate).

The problem with your first point is there are a lot of other factors in play. For one Caro is clearly carrying a lot of mental baggage now. She has taken a lot of hits to her mental psyche, she maybe be able to rubbish them off in interviews, but it's clear from her matches vs some of the top players (Radwanska the most obvious example) she just doesn't believe she is going to win anymore, she has nowhere near the mental belief she once did. You can't just flick a switch and then that belief comes back.

The longer it goes on, the harder it becomes to brush off tough losses. Back in 2010-11, Caro went into every match with confidence in her game. Even against someone like Kim she probably went on to court relishing the challenge. When you are winning, you relish challenges. Now Caro doesn't have the same confidence in her game, and I get the feeling when she plays some of the top players she doesn't relish playing them at all anymore, she feels beaten before the match even begins. That is hard to overcome.
As for your first point,it's possible that Piotr and crew are doing new things,but when you see how hard-headed he is about getting Caro an experienced,full-time coach,why should we give him the benefit of the doubt when we've been seeing the same results I mentioned?

Your explanation was unnecessary,really because,as you may have noticed,I used the word 'hypothetically'.I'm well aware of everything that you posted above in re loss of confidence,and I even touched on that in the last paragraph(i.e.,that Caroline felt the extra effort would be in vain).However,a drop in confidence is only DIFFICULT,not at all IMPOSSIBLE to overcome.Though you probably have zero interest,Super Bowl-winning QB Joe Flacco was notorious for choking under pressure in past years.However--though I don't know exactly HOW he overcame his old stumbling block--he began to make strides late in the 2011 season and,last year,he had one of the most remarkable 4-game postseason runs in NFL history.Mind you,Flacco is about 27 or 28 years old,so he has matured as a PERSON,obviously but,in principle,Caro could become clutch(once more),too.Going back to what we've discussed,though,Caroline has no BASIS for confidence right now...partly b/c of the disappointing results you mentioned,and partly b/c Piotr has NO ANSWERS right now

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1457
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

BenRothenberg
Caroline Wozniacki officially announced as a wild card into the Family Circle Cup in Charleston. Good field gets better.

FamilyCircleCup
Main draw wild card given to 2011 Family Circle Cup Champion & World No. 9, Caroline Wozniacki. #FCC2013 #chs #tennis

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1458
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

That field has Serena, Stosur & Errani, so not easy. And Caro & Vera both got injured there
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1459
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Serena will probably withdraw. She's carrying some kind of injuries. The only reason for her to really play if she wins Miami is sentimental reasons.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1460
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I also think that Serena will withdraw! Still, there are many dangerous players whom Caro can lose! At least we will have a chance to see all her matches!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1461
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
That field has Serena, Stosur & Errani, so not easy. And Caro & Vera both got injured there
Are you suggesting that the courts are kept in poor quality??Though blunt candor is rare amongst WTA players,has Caroline ever hinted at problems with the Charleston courts??

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1462
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Those green courts have had some injuries the last few years. I remember Serena taking a fall too, but wasnt injured
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1463
country flag bruce goose

Apparently,Caro hasn't been the only one,then.....Couldn't the players complain to the WTA bosses...and couldn't the WTA,in turn,put pressure on Charleston to clean up their act??

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #1464
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

It's not to do with Charleston's courts being low quality. It's do with green clay being arguably the most dangerous surface to play tennis on. You don't get much traction on green clay courts. It is easy to roll an ankle on the surface. It's one of the reasons green clay really is nothing like red clay.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #1465
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Are you suggesting that the courts are kept in poor quality??Though blunt candor is rare amongst WTA players,has Caroline ever hinted at problems with the Charleston courts??
The layer of green clay is very thin and underneath is a hard surface. So injuries generally arise when a play is sliding and then suddenly gets 'grip' from the harder surface underneath.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1466
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
The layer of green clay is very thin and underneath is a hard surface. So injuries generally arise when a play is sliding and then suddenly gets 'grip' from the harder surface underneath.
Thanks to you and Ozza for the explanations but,in your opinion,is it bad enough that we should all say,'To HELL with green clay!'?

Personally,I'd rather that Caro's career didn't get cut short by,say,a serious achilles tendon tear.You mention a thin surface;is this a case where they're too CHEAP to install thicker red clay courts??If so,that's pathetic

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #1467
country flag ozza

It's all relative. Obviously the actual risk posed by the court is still small.

Also as far as I understand it, it's not a case of being cheap. Red clay is very rare in the USA, and they mainly use the green clay surface instead (I think it's easier to maintain). Obviously as a surface though it is very much a dying breed on tour.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #1468
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It's all relative. Obviously the actual risk posed by the court is still small.

Also as far as I understand it, it's not a case of being cheap. Red clay is very rare in the USA, and they mainly use the green clay surface instead (I think it's easier to maintain). Obviously as a surface though it is very much a dying breed on tour.
Okay,but if I understood TF66 correctly,the green clay is laid over a concrete surface,so it's INSTALLED--this is not a case where the courts are built on clay "soil".That being the case,couldn't the Americans just install beter-quality RED clay that's not as hazardous??I refer to the pinche gringos b/c I don't know of any other country that hosts a WTA event on green clay....I'm glad to hear from you that Caro's injury risk isn't all that significant,though

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #1469
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
yeah, I also think that Serena will withdraw! Still, there are many dangerous players whom Caro can lose! At least we will have a chance to see all her matches!
It should be kept in mind though that even in better times Caro's matches on green clay were roller coaster rides a lot of the time.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #1470
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Those green courts have had some injuries the last few years. I remember Serena taking a fall too, but wasnt injured
All of those players have returned to green clay in the year following their injury on it though. So I guess the players are more or less comfortable with whatever risk the surface poses.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread