Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012- - Page 96 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:01 AM   #1426
country flag maartenround

maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light maartenround is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

Rayson df. Kops-Jones/Spears (6) 7-5 6-2
maartenround is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1427
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Maybe an experienced head like Lisa Raymond is what Laura needs as a coach. She seems to have helped Laura through the doubles. Well done
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1428
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Good win for Rayson!
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 02:18 AM   #1429
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Raymond was a great mental stabiliser for Stosur back in the day. I know it's probably just a one tournament partnership but still...

... for some reason.
Dawson. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1430
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

It probably is, but let's see how far they go here. We may be surprised. Probably not, but still.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1431
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

When Laura was coached by Morozova they did shit loads of work on her volleys, the potential to add it to her game is definitely there!

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1432
country flag no-hay-igual

no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of no-hay-igual has much to be proud of

All Laura needs is a good solid doubles player with her (Like Lisa) and she can be a very good doubles player...

Could potentially face Hev/Marina next

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
no-hay-igual is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1433

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-hay-igual View Post
All Laura needs is a good solid doubles player with her (Like Lisa) and she can be a very good doubles player...

Could potentially face Hev/Marina next
After another capitulation, what Laura needs is a female coach - someone who will give her a right telling off without looking as if she is going to tear her limb from limb.

Someone who can tell her that she is going to get her backside tanned if she doesn't buck up, without risking being accused of sexual harassment.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1434
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post
After another capitulation, what Laura needs is a female coach - someone who will give her a right telling off without looking as if she is going to tear her limb from limb.

Someone who can tell her that she is going to get her backside tanned if she doesn't buck up, without risking being accused of sexual harassment.
No way.

Male coaches have produced the most successful female tennis players.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1435
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post

Female coach doesn't necessarily exclude that xD

Who would you suggest for these female coaches? There's a (very) small pool.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1436

I just think Laura needs some strict discipline instilling into her game before it disintegrates completely. Not only the game but her attitude and application, especially when she gets behind and going into 3 sets.

Like it or not, men are much more aggressive and competitive than women and will take a lot more criticism & almost verbal abuse about their performances than a lot of women will. A bit of soul searching and argument might come better from a woman than her current coach, who looks like he eats babies for breakfast. There are always exceptions but Laura does not seem to have an all consuming desire to win, or even to improve, but given where she is at, she is not going to make it by just continuing her current practice regime and hoping to take the practice sessions onto court.

Someone who will lay it on the line with some motivational words - maybe not a full blown female coach but possibly a top female athlete/sportswoman who can inspire & show what it takes in attitude & commitment to reach the top.

Laura has a lot going for her but she needs someone to mold her game. There are 2 sides to game play - how well you hit the ball is only half the battle - more important is whether it was the right shot to play. The second part is difficult to learn in practice. You need match play where your opponent is trying to do to you what you are doing to them and coming up with unexpected shots & angles. If you can't work it out on court (which Laura obviously can't at the moment because as soon as her opponents dig in and up their game, she just folds), it has to be done by constant analysis & criticism of what went wrong in previous games. To be constantly looking at the bad bits and faults in your game means you need to have a respectful relationship with your coach/mentor. Maybe a mentor is more what I was thinking of than a coach. Given what we see of Laura on court & in interviews, I think she also needs a somewhat sympathetic approach to self criticism. Maybe Krajan is actually nice, friendly & cuddly but the only time I have ever seen him is looking serious and scowling on the sidelines. Then again he hasn't had much to smile about in 2013.

Laura is exceedingly good looking,(better looking than Kournikova but not as good a tennis player) so she could make pots of money without even getting into the top 20, as long as she keeps above the top 50. Think of the determination Sharapova must have had to come back from a career threatening shoulder injury when she made 5 or 10 times more money off court than on it. Who or how can that desire be instilled into Laura, because that is the main thing missing at the moment? Does she want it badly enough?

Heaven knows what Judy Murray will think when she gets Laura & Heather back for the Fed Cup.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play_Suspended View Post
Female coach doesn't necessarily exclude that xD

Who would you suggest for these female coaches? There's a (very) small pool.
Looks like Lisa Raymond could be a steadying influence, pity she is a player and not a coach but she is certainly a woman.

It is beginning to look like Laura needs support more than tennis coaching at the moment. The stats don't show which player did what but Lisa & Laura had 4 double faults against them after 2 service games and no more at the end if 2 sets and a 10 - 8 tie break so was the apparent improvement down to a sudden flash of inspiration or a partner putting her at ease? Laura's personal game was also much improved during the Olympic MXD with Andy Murray when she did not look out of place on court with women of much higher ranking and experience (and some hard hitting men).

It seems strange that she wasn't down to play doubles in Miami and only got the call from Lisa at the last minute. Although her main focus should be singles for the foreseeable future, Laura needs time on court and if you keep going out of tournaments early, the doubles is a good way to get match practice.

A good shot in singles can be a bad shot in doubles and vice-versa but the good thing about playing doubles is that it would make her think more about the shot she is playing. With 2 opponents filling up the space and often one standing right at the net, shot selection is even more important than singles. Laura would also get a lot more opportunities to play the crucial break points both serving and receiving which will ease her nerves when left to herself in singles.

Although there are technical errors in her serve that can be ironed out, at the moment she is a bit like a golfer who get the Yips - once she makes serving errors it seems to prey on her mind and it is a struggle for the rest of the match, going from bad to worse. Playing with an experienced partner may help Laura overcome the 'here we go again' feeling.

I don't think just entering the doubles with anyone available, e.g. Heather, would provide the same benefit and improvement that she could get from playing with an older and wiser head.

Lisa Raymond is still capable of attracting top ranking players as partners so Laura could do with finding an experienced player who does not expect to go on and win tournaments. Ideally an old head would be looking for a youngster to do some running for them but unfortunately, running is not one of Laura's strong points. In fact, it is to her advantage to have a partner taking half the court.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1438
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

Just playing devil's advocate here...I don't think there's really enough evidence to say Lisa has had that much of a positive effect so far. Although I like her and would love to see them do well here and play more together in the future (that's unlikely as Sam will come back from injury and this was very much a one time thing) I'm not sure you can draw those conclusions. You can't judge by the DF numbers (even assuming they were all Laura's) serving is very different in doubles to singles, there isn't the pressure to hit very good serves, you can get away with slightly more conservative serving than in singles as you aren't as exposed on the return. As for her personal game being improved one of the big differences between singles and doubles is that it is much harder to expose poor movement in doubles, although there is running to be done there is nothing like the possible angles and court coverage compared to singles. If you restrict Laura to half the court it should play right into her hands as she has more time to set for and select shots rather than having to concentrate on moving for them. Which should see an overall rise in quality of her game. All this is independent of partner. Obviously the better your partner the less you have to do, but whether it helps her mentally you can't really say. Plus on top of all this I just think there's a lot less pressure playing doubles, Laura knows it isn't her main focus and there isn't the external or internal pressure on her to do well. That makes a biiig difference to your game, especially confidence shots like the serve. If Rayson had lost first round noone would have really commented, very different from singles.

Saying all this I totally agree that playing doubles could be a real help to her game and would be nice to see more of in the future. It gives you more competitive court time (especially if you're losing early) and allows you to try things out on court. Importantly, as you said, if also gives her a great opportunity to work on shot selection, something you really have to think about all the time in doubles and would provide more of those crunch, sudden death serving situations. So I would like to see her play more doubles, I just don't necessarily think the partner makes as much difference to Laura's personal game as you suggest.

Her doubles ranking was 278 so that's why she wasn't down to play Miami she's quite a way outside the cutoff for a tournament like this. But with the points from this week she will soar up the rankings and would have more opportunity to do so in future. Whether she take that option we'll have to see.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1439
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate here...I don't think there's really enough evidence to say Lisa has had that much of a positive effect so far. Although I like her and would love to see them do well here and play more together in the future (that's unlikely as Sam will come back from injury and this was very much a one time thing) I'm not sure you can draw those conclusions. You can't judge by the DF numbers (even assuming they were all Laura's) serving is very different in doubles to singles, there isn't the pressure to hit very good serves, you can get away with slightly more conservative serving than in singles as you aren't as exposed on the return. As for her personal game being improved one of the big differences between singles and doubles is that it is much harder to expose poor movement in doubles, although there is running to be done there is nothing like the possible angles and court coverage compared to singles. If you restrict Laura to half the court it should play right into her hands as she has more time to set for and select shots rather than having to concentrate on moving for them. Which should see an overall rise in quality of her game. All this is independent of partner. Obviously the better your partner the less you have to do, but whether it helps her mentally you can't really say. Plus on top of all this I just think there's a lot less pressure playing doubles, Laura knows it isn't her main focus and there isn't the external or internal pressure on her to do well. That makes a biiig difference to your game, especially confidence shots like the serve. If Rayson had lost first round noone would have really commented, very different from singles.

Saying all this I totally agree that playing doubles could be a real help to her game and would be nice to see more of in the future. It gives you more competitive court time (especially if you're losing early) and allows you to try things out on court. Importantly, as you said, if also gives her a great opportunity to work on shot selection, something you really have to think about all the time in doubles and would provide more of those crunch, sudden death serving situations. So I would like to see her play more doubles, I just don't necessarily think the partner makes as much difference to Laura's personal game as you suggest.

Her doubles ranking was 278 so that's why she wasn't down to play Miami she's quite a way outside the cutoff for a tournament like this. But with the points from this week she will soar up the rankings and would have more opportunity to do so in future. Whether she take that option we'll have to see.

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1440

Quote:
I just don't necessarily think the partner makes as much difference to Laura's personal game as you suggest.
I am assuming that doubles entry is supposed to be a learning exercise so I think at this stage for Laura the choice of partner is the most important thing in order to get as much as possible out of a tournament. If Laura played with a similar ranked player or with Heather, as they might do in the Fed Cup, there would be no 'senior partner' to give the lead. I suspect the learning experience would be minimal with both players going for their shots based on their normal game. Playing with an experienced doubles player, would I hope instil a greater feeling of not wanting to let your partner down, especially if you think that they are doing you a favour by playing with you. That alone should curb the instinct to spray winners/losers about in reckless abandon. If your partner digs you out of a hole and sets you up with some easy winners, it must be natural to try and do the same and stay in rallies longer, instead of the win or lose hitting that seems to be Laura's main singles strategy.

I did say that the 'drawback' with doubles is that it hides the problem Laura has when playing shots from alternate corners (to be fair so do a lot of women). However, the reference to Laura's personal game was regarding her performances when the opponents played on her in the mixed doubles. If you look back at the Olympic mixed, Laura withstood some fierce hitting from some very tall and powerful men and also took on and outplayed better ladies in many rallies. That seemed a step up from her singles displays at Wimbledon and the Olympics, but I admit she was helped because she only had half a court to cover.

Having said that, it does show enormous potential if she can just get her thinking and confidence right and also improve the ability to play forehand - backhand - forehand - backhand without immediately giving the point away.

I don't know how much improvement you can bring to the side to side running game. At the coaching level, all you can do is instil the need to move back towards the centre as soon as you have played a shot - not linger in the corner hoping it will come back to you. After that it is all physical but no matter how much training you do, everyone has a limit to their speed and agility.

I have just watched Cibulkova (5'3" tall) put in a tremendous performance of court coverage against Serena Williams but if Laura trained every day for a year, with her build and at 5'11" she (and many many others besides) could never achieve the same speed of running and recovery. There comes a time that you have to recognise your physical capabilities and then instead of worrying about how fast you can chase, concentrate more on what you do with the ones you get to.

As regards the doubles serve, it would be nice to think that Laura can just switch in a consistent but less penetrative serve at will, as you suggest in doubles. When you are playing singles and hitting 17 double faults in 3 sets, anyone with an ounce of common sense would switch to their stock serve for a while, just to put the onus on the opponent to win the point rather than have it gifted. At the moment, once the serve goes off the nerves take over so what should be an advantage becomes a liability. She must be serving reasonably well in the doubles compared to the previous day's singles match so I would put it down an improvement in the mind rather than the technique.