Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #61
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
Seriously, there's no point arguing with you. There's a reason why universities often favor blacks and Hispanics for acceptance in higher education, because they are underrepresented. I suggest you read this article and you will have a better understanding of what I'm talking about. I also sat on the panel of pharmacists and professors (yes I also have a doctor of pharmacy degree) at Pacific University a few years back during the interview and candidate selection process, so I'd like to think I have a clue of what I'm talking about when I say universities are pressured into diversifying their school and pushing for blacks and Hispanics acceptance because they are underrepresented, and when I say underrepresented, I mean they do not pursue higher education.

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/orig...es_asians.html
Some advice: Try to focus your arguments to a couple salient points. This will prevent you from going all over the place and not making sense.
I see now you have moved to using the push to ameliorate underrepresentation in medicine/healthcare as 'proof' of 'blacks in general' not wanting to pursue higher education. This is even worse than your previous evidence for reasons I won't go into here. I know all about URM status but don't want to derail this thread.
I asked you a question on the first page of this thread to help you think for yourself about why there isn't a higher percentage of blacks in higher education.
As with most things in life, the answer is more complex than your 'blacks are lazy!!!!' diatribe

To be clear, I do not condone absolution of personal responsibility, I just understand that there is a lot more to it than 'stop being lazy'.
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:12 AM   #62
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has only strengthened my resolve to complete my doctorate, so that I can afford some good health insurance and not have somebody like tennisation as my physician.

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:14 AM   #63
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

^
Novichok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:14 AM   #64
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
This thread has only strengthened my resolve to complete my doctorate, so that I can afford some good health insurance and not have somebody like tennisation as my physician.
Sad but true!

I'm thinking of reconsidering this LSAT and Law School thing because I think if I don't pursue a STEM career I will have to stand in the unemployment line and beg for food.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*

Last edited by iWill : Mar 23rd, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #65

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Quote:
So the beef is with the few blacks who get into elite institutions, and how they disavantage poor white and Asian students?
The paranoia is alarming. They love to parade stats that show at hgher percentage of blacks accepted to medical school at a certain MCAT/GPA combo than whites (who are higher than asians ). They neglect to mention that there's a lot more to medicine/patient care than being able to recite all the steps of the krebs cycle.
There's also a lot more to a med school app than your mcat and GPA. Anyway I won't derail this thread.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:22 AM   #66
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
The paranoia is alarming. They love to parade stats that show at hgher percentage of blacks accepted to medical school at a certain MCAT/GPA combo than whites (who are higher than asians ). They neglect to mention that there's a lot more to medicine/patient care than being able to recite all the steps of the krebs cycle.
There's also a lot more to a med school app than your mcat and GPA. Anyway I won't derail this thread.
You might as well talk about it! Never stopped any one else from derailing a thread

If it were just as simple as standardized test scores and GPA they wouldn't have people do admission interviews and review applications. Instead they would just have a machine spit out all of the admission letters every new school year.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM   #68
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
Sad but true!

I'm thinking of reconsidering this LSAT and Law School thing because I think if I don't pursue a STEM career I will have to stand in the unemployment line and beg for food.

My friend scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT. I wonder whose slot hes gonna take.
He's only kinda black though, so I probably shouldn't count him as an anomaly.

█████████████████ʘ
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:28 AM   #69
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My friend scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT. I wonder whose slot hes gonna take.
Only the 98th percentile? What an idiot!
Novichok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:31 AM   #70
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
Only the 98th percentile? What an idiot!
Hey! Thats better than Obama could do.

█████████████████ʘ
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:33 AM   #71
country flag iWill

Quote:

Wow so that means he got close to a 174+ he can go anywhere top 25..... Although I'd assume since he's only partly black he may have to settle for whatever spaces Affirmative Action leaves for his kind....

I just can't get over how straight racist some people on this board are...I don't know why, but it still just surprises me that they willingly show their prejudice so openly.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #72
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
By most indices, I would say that I am the average black person. The only difference is that I have been extremely lucky to have a few good mentors/patrons, and I (for some reason) do well on standardized tests.
Well already that doesn't make you the average black person, and what are these indices. Personally, I think you seem VERY different from the black ppl I know and hang out with in real life, and I'm not talking about tuiton here.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM   #73
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You and Demonikkk should expose yourself to more black culture than what you see on tv or whatever experience you have had.
I have about 5-6 black or mixed friends who I hang out or talk to regularly (living close to montreal nowadays, I'm exposed to every culture you could think of), who I love dearly and they all go to university or cegep, which is the level after highschool here. You know in life, it will always serve you to get your facts straight before babbling stupidities.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM   #74
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
not just med school. college, law school, business school, etc. also have lower "statistical" requirements for blacks and hispanics than asians.
which i don't necessarily begrudge because a school tries to maximize the success of alumni base which they can't do by taking the same types of people.

having a white dad and indian mom, when i had to answer the race question on my college apps, i was universally advised to put myself down as white and neglect the asian part unless i was making my personal essays a tale of courage in growing up biracial, which i didn't do.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #75
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow so that means he got close to a 174+ he can go anywhere top 25..... Although I'd assume since he's only partly black he may have to settle for whatever spaces Affirmative Action leaves for his kind....

I just can't get over how straight racist some people on this board are...I don't know why, but it still just surprises me that they willingly show their prejudice so openly.
But it's not openly. It seems to me that only people who have grown up with the anonymous nature of the internet think that someone hiding behind a screen name is doing anything "openly". It's not as if we have their real names, addresses and photos here.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote