Multi sports thread - Page 27 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #391
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi sports thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Then again,Vonn comes across like one of those slutty pothead skiers who wouldn't mind being in a sexually-open relationship...just PERFECT for Tiger....
Slutty or not, Lindsey Vonn is one of the greatest sports women in the world - a legend in fact. And she's a big Federer fan (!!!), so even though I'm more of a Julia Mancuso supporter, what's there not to like about Lindsey? But in true Lindsey style I suspect that this relationship will go downhill very quickly when she sees Tiger going for a hole in one with each bimbo he meets.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #392
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Slutty or not, Lindsey Vonn is one of the greatest sports women in the world - a legend in fact. And she's a big Federer fan (!!!), so even though I'm more of a Julia Mancuso supporter, what's there not to like about Lindsey? But in true Lindsey style I suspect that this relationship will go downhill very quickly when she sees Tiger going for a hole in one with each bimbo he meets.
What's there not to like??Answer: She's shallow and stupid.Would you respect a woman who went out with an attractive,wealthy convicted rapist??Granted,Tiger isn't quite THAT bad,but the underlying principle is the same

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Don't you just love it when someone rambles aimlessly for 5 minutes and then says, "To make a long story short"?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #393
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She's shallow and stupid.
How do you know that? For all we know she may be a sweetheart and brilliant at chess.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #394
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
How do you know that? For all we know she may be a sweetheart and brilliant at chess.
It's simple common sense.When you have someone who's proven that women are sex toys for his gratification,any other woman who's willing to date him pretty much shows that she doesn't care about such matters...she's low class,like any mother who'd date a wealthy,handsome known pedophile and allow him to be unsupervised around her children.

I respect your post about Vika in the other thread,but I've gotta run to work,amigo

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Don't you just love it when someone rambles aimlessly for 5 minutes and then says, "To make a long story short"?
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #395
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Impressive last lap by Vettel gave him the pole for tomorrows GP at Sepang. Both Ferraris on the top first rows. Looking good for the red horse in the WCC! Even I don't expect Massa to be that competitive come race day, the car itself looks so much more competitive than previous seasons.

Seeing as I got 2/3 right for podium for Melbourne (picking Alonso and Vettel lol. #safebets), I will predict a Sepang podium for those two with someone else who's also driven a F1 car that day.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #396
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Impressive last lap by Vettel gave him the pole for tomorrows GP at Sepang. Both Ferraris on the top first rows. Looking good for the red horse in the WCC!
It's unforgivable that horses are forced to compete with cars on any surface except thick sand

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #397
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

What a fukked up Formula 1 race *sighs* ...

Massa the second coming and much better than Alonso (it was in the The SUN, so it must be true and was also backed by the English anti-Alonso crowd) had the full attention from Ferrari today. And what did he do? As the only top qualifier lost places Vs his quali spot. Brazilian one lap wonder, who sometimes luck it out with one good lap in Q3, more like it.

Mercedes. Pathetic team. But I am sure The SUN and it's followers will now be celebrating team orders, as the person from which's ar*e the sun rises was allowed to coast home, as to not run out of fuel, despite his team mate just behind had ample fuel left and could compete with the bulls ahead, should those face any problems.

The Bulls. I am as sick of that team as Mark probably is. One team mate turns down the engine, as pr team request. The other blatantly ignores, goes racing and is millimeters from taking out his team mate (yes, those two from Turkey 2010). But as Mark said, the team will just protect Vettel and nothing will happen.

Rant over.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #398
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Massa the second coming and much better than Alonso (it was in the The SUN, so it must be true and was also backed by the English anti-Alonso crowd) had the full attention from Ferrari today. And what did he do? As the only top qualifier lost places Vs his quali spot. Brazilian one lap wonder, who sometimes luck it out with one good lap in Q3, more like it.

Mercedes. Pathetic team. But I am sure The SUN and it's followers will now be celebrating team orders, as the person from which's ar*e the sun rises was allowed to coast home, as to not run out of fuel, despite his team mate just behind had ample fuel left and could compete with the bulls ahead, should those face any problems.

The Bulls. I am as sick of that team as Mark probably is. One team mate turns down the engine, as pr team request. The other blatantly ignores, goes racing and is millimeters from taking out his team mate (yes, those two from Turkey 2010). But as Mark said, the team will just protect Vettel and nothing will happen.

Rant over.
Well well well. Friction in the Red Bull and Mercedes teams. All drama. I thought it had everything. Lots of drama during the race and certainly drama now within those teams. Great stuff. Can't help feeling your statement What a fukked up Formula 1 race *sighs* and your rant hasn't got something to do with a very rare mistake by Alonso on lap #1 which put him out of the race.

Anyway my take on Red Bull and Mercedes: I agreed with Vettel in the middle of the race when he radio'd "Get Mark out of the way. He's too slow" because he'd backed Vettel up so much that Lewis was now getting into the DRS zone. Indeed after that - Webber was told he needed to lap a time which was faster than he was doing.

The second incident at the end - very bad by Vettel deliberately disobeying team orders and screw Webber when they were told to turn their engines down, nurse their tyres and maintain position. Vettel has now publicly apologised but he's got the points and its too late now. As for Webber - well with Red Bull he's been in the best team for the last 3 or more years. Once in a while he gets screwed - never the other way round. And Vettell is the best driver. I don't see he has any choice but to accept the apology. But nothing is going to happen to rectify what happened today.

At Mercedes - I feel sorry for Rosberg who Hamilron sheepishly said should have been on the podium instead of him. There is obvious the suispicion that the team order it was down to whatever Hamilton's contract said and it would not have been the same the other way round. But in defence of the team - #3 and #4 whoever is #3 was all they wanted with no chance of doing better than that unless Webber and Vettel had taken each other out. And there'd already been two dicing and exchanging position. Don't know Rosberg's fuel situation except it was no doubt much better than Hamilton's but Ros Braun did not think he had fuel to make a charge at the Red Bulls.

Anyway - whatever the team says to Rosberg - he made it clear that they owe him. Whatever they say to him - I'm sure he won't believe that it wasn';t to do with Hamilton's contract whatever that might say.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #399
country flag bruce goose

Quote:

Rant over.
Well,you've long known that I don't share your interest in racing,but I certainly appreciate your passion for the sport...and especially the fact that Accountability is apparently something that racing teams feel towards the fans

I think that there may have been ONE occasion a few years back when Venus apologized to the fans for a crappy,UE-strewn match.Does that ever happen at all on the ATP...where a player apologizes for an unprofessional,substandard performance that embarrasses the sport(anyone else is free to chime in,too)??You sure as heck won't get that from Ivanovic or Lisicki...though the paying fans have sure deserved it in many cases.Notice the following rant where the coach--who has a very good career W/L record,btw--puts blame on himSELF,too,even mentioning coaching before the players.I'd respect the ATP and WTA a heck of a lot more if we had more of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #400
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well,you've long known that I don't share your interest in racing,but I certainly appreciate your passion for the sport...and especially the fact that Accountability is apparently something that racing teams feel towards the fans

I think that there may have been ONE occasion a few years back when Venus apologized to the fans for a crappy,UE-strewn match.Does that ever happen at all on the ATP...where a player apologizes for an unprofessional,substandard performance that embarrasses the sport(anyone else is free to chime in,too)??You sure as heck won't get that from Ivanovic or Lisicki...though the paying fans have sure deserved it in many cases.Notice the following rant where the coach--who has a very good career W/L record,btw--puts blame on himSELF,too,even mentioning coaching before the players.I'd respect the ATP and WTA a heck of a lot more if we had more of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI
I don't actually want a WTA (or ATP) player to apologise because they had a bad match. It's different in a team sport for a coach to slag his whole team. And I note he slagged the whole team and did not single out specific players by name which I think would have been wrong.

It was pretty obvious that Vettels apology today was becauise he was told to apologise by the team. It was a very frosty reception he got from the team after his win.

On the subject of apologies - other apologies I can think of below. The one thing all the apologies above and below have in common is the sportsman/woman has no choice. None of them came spontaneously.
  • Serena's apology after that USO SF 2009 which had to be dragged out from her like extracting teeth after her infamous "shove this ball down your throat" quote and threatening Shino.
  • Rory's recent apology when he withdrew during a round. He was quite rightly absolutely hammered in the media for that. His playing partners were critical - well Ernie Els was. I was interested comparing that and the reaction at certain WTA players who pull out on a whim all the time
  • Kevin Pieterson (England cricketer) after some statements he'd made about other England players. But he had to if he wanted to get back into the England side.

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #401
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I don't actually want a WTA (or ATP) player to apologise because they had a bad match. It's different in a team sport for a coach to slag his whole team. And I note he slagged the whole team and did not single out specific players by name which I think would have been wrong.

It was pretty obvious that Vettels apology today was becauise he was told to apologise by the team. It was a very frosty reception he got from the team after his win.

On the subject of apologies - other apologies I can think of below. The one thing all the apologies above and below have in common is the sportsman/woman has no choice. None of them came spontaneously.
  • Serena's apology after that USO SF 2009 which had to be dragged out from her like extracting teeth after her infamous "shove this ball down your throat" quote and threatening Shino.
  • Rory's recent apology when he withdrew during a round. He was quite rightly absolutely hammered in the media for that. His playing partners were critical - well Ernie Els was. I was interested comparing that and the reaction at certain WTA players who pull out on a whim all the time
  • Kevin Pieterson (England cricketer) after some statements he'd made about other England players. But he had to if he wanted to get back into the England side.
I think that you missed my point in a few respects.First of all,I probably didn't explain it well,but Venus strongly implied that she didn't give her best effort...NOT just that she had a poor match.You are also mistaken in that neither Venus nor Coach Mora was obligated in ANY way to apologize...they simply chose to do so and wouldn't have suffered any big consequences if they hadn't.You also state that it's different in a team sport,yet a couple examples you cited were from individual sports,too.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood or simply disagree on this final point,but tennis players should DEFINITELY apologize to the fans for tanking a match in the final set....And when I say 'apologize',I don't mean indirectly by concocting some bullshit,sudden "injury" like AI and Lisicki so often do.I can't possibly be the only one on the planet whose fanship is diminished due to the gutless lack of accountability from many players...plus the pathetic Enabling that comes from Stacy Allaster and,probably,from the ATP boss,too(I can't honestly comment on him).I like tennis a whole lot,but I can't LOVE it on the same level with my other favorite sports...nor would I encourage young people to love it...as long as it persists with such a cowardly,no-account sporting culture.If it's merely a bad match,then I agree with you that a player needn't apologize if an honest effort was made.However,tanking is something that the WTA should address,IMO,even fining a player for non-efforts or,at the very least,making it clear to the public that her pitiful,quitter attitude is unacceptable

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #402
country flag terjw

^^^
The difference between team sports and individual sports I pointed out was that the coach was publicly lambasting his team for a poor display. It wasn't members of the team apologising for their personal performance. The fact that I gave some examples of individual sports does not nullify what I stated in any way since the examples I gave were the players behavior where an apology was forced out of them as opposed to performance which was on the video link.

Tanking a match constitutes unaccetable behviour in my book (except at YEC playing a dead match when already qualified for the SF I wouldn't expect 100%). But there's a big difference between tanking a match and posters on a message board saying a player tanked a match. And innocent until proved quilty. I don't count gearing yourself to peak at the slams and not playing as well at the smaller tournaments as tanking. I don't count having nothing left in the tank in the 3rd set as tanking. I don't count letting a set go that looks lost so as to focus on the next set tanking. Blatant tanking is so unacceptable that I can't see any player capable of doing it voluntarily apologising immediately afterwards - especially when it's such a grey area and subjective.

However - I did give the Rory example that I would have expected you to agree with. And you may have heard this.voluntary apology from Venus - but I can't think of one public apology offhand that I've heard that isn't forced on the sportsperson.

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #403
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
^^^
The difference between team sports and individual sports I pointed out was that the coach was publicly lambasting his team for a poor display. It wasn't members of the team apologising for their personal performance. The fact that I gave some examples of individual sports does not nullify what I stated in any way since the examples I gave were the players behavior where an apology was forced out of them as opposed to performance which was on the video link.

Tanking a match constitutes unaccetable behviour in my book (except at YEC playing a dead match when already qualified for the SF I wouldn't expect 100%). But there's a big difference between tanking a match and posters on a message board saying a player tanked a match. And innocent until proved quilty. I don't count gearing yourself to peak at the slams and not playing as well at the smaller tournaments as tanking. I don't count having nothing left in the tank in the 3rd set as tanking. I don't count letting a set go that looks lost so as to focus on the next set tanking. Blatant tanking is so unacceptable that I can't see any player capable of doing it voluntarily apologising immediately afterwards - especially when it's such a grey area and subjective.

However - I did give the Rory example that I would have expected you to agree with. And you may have heard this.voluntary apology from Venus - but I can't think of one public apology offhand that I've heard that isn't forced on the sportsperson.
Not 100% sure what you were looking for from me in re Rory,but I definitely agree that he owed the sport an apology,if that's what you meant.

You offered some insightful comments on the various DEGREEs of tanking(and you also distinguished well between legit tanking and that which doesn't qualify),and I'll agree if you're saying that the shameful variety of tanking is hard to empirically prove.However,I think that even the threat of sanctioning--IF it were carried out at least once in a while--would be effective with most of the WTA players who are guilty of it(This would include warnings from chair umpires that a punishment might be forthcoming if effort weren't improved.For televised matches,ATP and WTA bosses should relay messages directly to the chair umpire).AI and Lisicki,for example,are ALL ABOUT foisting a phony image on the fanbase,and if the WTA went public and made it clear that those two were suspected of quitting,then THAT would get their attention fairly well as it could hurt their p.r. image,possibly cost them endorsements with sponsors and reduce their popularity with hard-working fans who lost respect for such pathetic behavior...plus they'd get jealous over the lost photo-ops that went to OTHER gals,instead,as part of the punishment.

As I said,you can't SCIENTIFICALLY prove who's tanking,but it's fairly obvious with some players cuz they do it all the time and don't even disguise it well.Stacy Allaster should follow the lead of the bosses in your beloved racing and take charge of this disgrace...instead of having the WTA page spew nonsensical crap where they play right along with a player who CLAIMED to have an injury when that same player was seen moving that 'injured' body part around painlessly the next day.I'm QUITE sure that some sports fans,who don't tolerate the sort of misdeeds that you and TennisFan posted about,would respect the ATP and WTA a lot more if they saw Accountability become a part of the sport.

Thanks for your thoughtful words;I'm off for today

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #404
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's a surprise...Haas beats Djokovic in two sets. So rare for Djokovic to lose to someone other than other members of the big 4 and Del Potro particularly on a hard court.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #405
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

Tommy very impressive