Sony Open Daily Notes March 21--Hail Queeña Garbiñe! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 02:44 AM   #1
country flag Aravanecaravan
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Sony Open Daily Notes March 21--Hail Queeña Garbiñe!

Usually there's one day each year of the Sony Open when I just don't get to walk the grounds as much as I like, and that's invariably due to the fact that the players I like to watch are all playing. Today was that day.

I did make a quick circuit of the grounds upon arriving to Crandon Park at 9:30. Oh, by the way, I was the FIRST ONE in the general admission parking lot today. How does that Miller Lite commercial go--"I must be in the FRONT ROW....." I guess I was a little anxious to get a good seat for Julia Goerges' match this morning.

Back to the tennis. While walking the grounds, I found Ana Ivanovic practicing with Sorana Cirstea, the Addidas girls knocking it around on court 10. Kerber was getting ready to start practicing, but was still running with her coach around the main practice courts.

I knew I'd be tied up in matches all day, so I grabbed a bite to eat before settling in on court 6 in a carefully selected prime vantage point for photography for the Goerges-Tomljanovic match.

I could rationalize a bunch here, and try to come up with a laundry list of excuses, but I'm really at a loss to explain it. The match wasn't particularly high quality, with lots of short rallies punctuated by errors, frequent service breaks, double faults, shaky serving, and Julia's back injury which required a medical T/O late in set two. Tomljanovic played better in her first round match than here. Julia was the recipient of a few bad line calls, and one occasion, when the chair overruled a call on the far side of the court, on the baseline, shielded behind Julia, Goerges blew up and said, "are you kidding? The only thing you could have seen was my ass." Which was not only true, but pretty funny.

Anyway, it was a tough day at the office for Julia, but she fought hard to the end, and came back later in the day despite her back injury to pair up with Yaroslava Shvedova to win in doubles, clinching the match for the team with a superb forehand punch crosscourt volley for the win. Julia had a good amount of German support in the crowd for her singles, and during the first set Sara Errani was in the crowd clapping for her, and sitting just a couple rows in front of me.

After Julia's singles I caught the end of Flipkens-Voegele, in order to make sure I had a good seat for Garbiñe Muguruza's match against Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova. The tournament's Daily Draw sheet has a schedule for the day's play, and today all of the print for the player names was normal sized except Nastya's, which you needed a microscope to read, since her name was so long.

This match took place of court 8, and by that time in the afternoon (it was 3rd match of the day) the sun had shifted around to our backs and it was cold sitting on this court (today's high was only 74F) in the shade. The first set was up and down, but Garbiñe fought back from a break down to take a 4-3 lead before a series of long and close games fell to Pavlyuchenkova, after she called her coach, giving her the set. Garbiñe steadied herself early in set 2, serving better, breaking Pavlyuchenkova and cruising to comfortable win in the set, 6-2. She continued her run of games to 3-0, and extended to 4-1 in the 3rd, never dropping serve again in the match, and closing out nicely despite a lot of support in the Pavlyuchenkova camp, including Patrick Mouratoglou, who was there in the third set, and several coaches/supporters yelling "Davai" every point Nastya won.

Muguruza was injured when she fell in the second set, and ultimately had to call for the trainer, who taped up her ankle. She looks like she's been to war, with bandages all over, but there she is, still around, and winning. Vamos, Garbiñe! Now let's take out Woz!

I went straight from that three setter to the Goerges/Shvedova-Jurak/Marosi doubles, which started horribly for Goerges/Shvedova, but they steadied themselves in set 2, saved match point, forced a tie break and won their own third match point 10-8. A little consolation for Julia after a tough day.

I was going to take in some Bartoli-Petkovic, even as Marion was down a set and 1-3, but after stopping for some caffeine at Starbucks, I saw that the match was over. With that, I did an assessment (I shot over an hour of video of Goerges and Muguruza, and took some 270 photos) and decided I needed 1) to conserve space on my 1 remaining memory card and 2) sleep. So I by-passed the night session although on the way out I did pass Date-Krumm warming up outside the stadium and snapped a couple quick and likely fuzzy candids of her.

I did walk around enough to see that it was another really busy and crowded day at Crandon Park. You can tell things are picking up because it's getting almost impossible to find a restroom that doesn't have a line.

That's all for today. I'm beat. I've got more gals to chase down tomorrow.

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com

Last edited by Aravanecaravan : Mar 22nd, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
Aravanecaravan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
country flag Sonf@
yo soy darks

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sony Open Daily Notes March 21--Hail Queeña Garbiñe!

Thanks for the report!

Hope Garbiñe is okay
mi mascota es tan grande que necesita un trailer para desayunar
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 04:02 AM   #3
country flag somethingkinda

somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold somethingkinda is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for taking the time to write these daily reports. They are fascinating to read, keep 'em coming!

Have you seen Christina McHale in particular?
somethingkinda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #4
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

You were the 1st to arrive? I never could make that gate opening time 10am, was always late each day due to making videos and uploading those and pics on my websites

Have a nice rest! You've earned it

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
country flag guigs2910

guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice guigs2910 is just really nice

That's very nice and thoughtful of you to take some time and tell us about your daily experiences! Keep 'em coming, please!
guigs2910 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingkinda View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write these daily reports. They are fascinating to read, keep 'em coming!

Have you seen Christina McHale in particular?
I haven't seen Christina yet, but will keep looking!

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
The Aravane Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
You were the 1st to arrive? I never could make that gate opening time 10am, was always late each day due to making videos and uploading those and pics on my websites

Have a nice rest! You've earned it
Yes, the very first car in the very first spot. The flaggers didn't even know were to direct me to park at first.

I think it's really going to be crowded today, tomorrow and Saturday. Worse than in past years. It's usually relaxed during the early part of the week but this year the attendance has been really heavy so far. Scary to think how many people that means for the weekend.

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

You are soooooo good at this!

Thanks again
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:46 AM   #9
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report

Old Channel

Treachery is a virus
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

So surprised about what you say about La Errani clapping for Julia. Their handshake (to call it something) at their last match some weeks ago was equally bitchy from both players, without looking at each other and their hands barely touching; but I guess appearances are deceiving, to say the least.
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #11
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #12
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
i'm surprised Sara was cheering for Goerges
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:12 PM   #13
country flag borck

borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Aravanecaravan, vamos Garbiñe!

FAN DE LA ARMADA FEMENINA ESPAÑOLA DE TENIS
borck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has disabled reputation

you missed Petko because of Starbucks?

but thanks for the report
matthias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:22 PM   #15
The Aravane Caravan

If it wasn't Errani, it was her twin sister.