The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu - Page 150 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2236
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

It is a somewhat disappointing loss but Monica does struggle more against players like Flipkens than she does against power hitters thans for sure. A girl like Flipkens can match Monica's variety with her own and she is someone who is perfectly comfortable getting into the kind of cat and mouse exchanges that Monica's game forces her opponents to play.

Also have to say, I don't think we can blame tiredness for this loss. It has now been a whole week since Monica beat Puchkova to win Florianopolis. Since that time Monica played one doubles match and the double bagel dismantling of Svitolina. And today's match wasn't long either, less than 2 hours. Monica is fit. She shouldn't be tired right now. If she was, I'd be worried.

In fairness though, it is not the most costly of losses. This match was worth just 30 points to the winner. And with Azarenka almost certainly lined up in the next round it wasn't going to make a difference of more than 30 points. So...it's 30 points down the drain...not the end of the world.

Also I don't think this is any indication Monica can't beat top 35 players. There are plenty of players in the top 35 I would fancy Monica's chances against. Monica matches up quite nicely to quite a few of the top 35. Unfortunately Kirsten just isn't one of them.

Hopefully Monica will have a better draw in Miami.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Mar 9th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2237
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

I think mental tiredness rather than physical tiredness to be honest. She was pretty poor on the key points today.

It has happened a lot after her tournament win with interviews and stuff and she took some time to realize. Svitolina was no challenge at all, but today in a closer match that could have made the difference, but as you said it's only 30 points she 'lost'.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2238
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
I think mental tiredness rather than physical tiredness to be honest. She was pretty poor on the key points today.

It has happened a lot after her tournament win with interviews and stuff and she took some time to realize. Svitolina was no challenge at all, but today in a closer match that could have made the difference, but as you said it's only 30 points she 'lost'.
Yeah, obviously in close matches like this one needs to be very strong mentally and yeah, probably in that respect the last week would have take a bit out of Monica. Despite her being a tough match up for her, Flipkens is a player I'm sure Monica can beat but Moni really does have to be at the peak of her game and stay 100% focused for the entire match to get the win against a player of Flipken's quality. And today maybe she was 80%. Would have been good enough if the opponent was Paszek, or Safarova, or Goerges, or Shvedova, or Pavlyuchenko etc but against Flipkens, Monica really did need to be at the top of her game.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2239
country flag Belle de Jour

Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future

Jamie Hampton (USA) vs. Monica Niculescu (ROM)
Tricky one
Belle de Jour is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2240
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

Breadsticked her in Australia last year, though.

Much happened since January 2012, but I think that Jamie is still a rather good match-up for her. She shouldn't underestimate her, though.

Possible R2 against Suarez-Navarro
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2241

Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future Belle de Jour has a brilliant future

I have seen Hampton's match against Azarenka, in AO earlier this year, and trust me, she's improved a lot since last year. It's gonna be a close one.

As for the possible second round clash with Suarez-Navarro... Monica is far more talented than the Spaniard, but somehow she manages to lose agianst her. A month ago in Paris she was 5-2 up in the second set and lost 5-7
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #2242
country flag soimu

soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncurv View Post
Tricky one
No offense Uncurv but put more from the draw, not only 1st match.
I like to believe that at least one of our favs will win 2-3 matches.
soimu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2243

Sorry about that
I got used not to expect too much from our players in major events, that's why I like to take things step by step.

Angelique Kerber (GER/5) Bye
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) vs. qualifier
Pauline Parmentier (FRA) vs. qualifier
Sorana Cirstea (ROM/28) Bye
Jelena Jankovic (SRB/22) Bye
Victoria Duvall (USA/WC) vs. Andrea Hlavackova (CZE)
Jie Zheng (CHN) vs. Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)
Nadia Petrova (RUS/11) Bye
Roberta Vinci (ITA/15) Bye
Anett Kontaveit (EST/WC) vs. Christina McHale (USA)
Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP/20) Bye
Alize Cornet (FRA/32) Bye
Laura Robson (GBR) vs. Camila Giorgi (ITA)
Madison Keys (USA/WC) vs. qualifier
Victoria Azarenka (BLR/2) Bye

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2244
country flag Curcubeu

They will probably all win their R1 match again just to flop alltogether in R2 like in Doha and Indian Wells.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2245
country flag soimu

soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all soimu is a name known to all

This section is enough.

Roberta Vinci (ITA/15) Bye
Anett Kontaveit (EST/WC) vs. Christina McHale (USA)
Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP/20) Bye

I hope she will get to play Vinci
soimu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
They will probably all win their R1 match again just to flop alltogether in R2 like in Doha and Indian Wells.
I sure hope so!
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2247

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimu View Post

I hope she will get to play Vinci
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2248
Everybody's a star!!!

Definately don't like the draw. Jamie Hampton is tough. This is a girl who this year has given both Azarenka and A Radwanska really tough matches. On the other hand her form doesn't appear to be as good as it was in Australia and she is an aggressive shotmaker and usually Monica's game does match up well against that kind of player. But definately do rate Hampton highly and that ain't the ideal 1st round that's for sure.

If Monica does get past that, it doesn't get any easier either. Carla isn't a good match up for Monica and she has been having a fine season. Started the year ranked 34, currently she is at a career high 21 and a win over Monica will in all likelihood take her into the top 20. I don't think Monica's groundstrokes trouble Carla unduly and she has the variety and discipline to handle long cat and mouse type rallies with Monica plus with her backhand she has more firepower to finish the point when she does get an opening. Carla can have off days but I think to beat Carla on what is a very slow hardcourt, Monica will have to be close to her very best. And then it is Roberta Vinci, again another match up that I really do not like.

Why doesn't Monica draw players like Goerges, Pavlyuchenkova, Safarova and Lisicki rather than players like Suarez Navarro, Vinci and Flipkens?

All hope is not lost but to get past Hampton and Suarez Navarro would be a very fine effort. Hoping for the best.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2249
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Not the most optimum match, but we'll see how it goes.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #2250

No live streaming for Niculescu-Hampton, right?