INDIAN WELLS 2013- Perfect finish: Maria wins her 2nd IW TITLE :D - Page 105 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1561
country flag Advantage Me

Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all
Re: INDIAN WELLS 2013- Perfect finish: Maria wins her 2nd IW TITLE :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
But it's also clear to me that it's very unlikely that Caroline will ever win a major or a YEC. The gap between her best and what Vika, Serena, Maria, Na, Petra and Aga have to offer has become too big. She missed her window of opportunity in 2010-2011. Not that I considered her one of the top favorites even in those days, but the level of the other top players was not as high, at least not on a consistent basis, as it is today and Caroline herself was playing well enough to have an outside chance of taking advantage of that sooner or later if a draw opened up for her.

It never happened even though she came close a couple of times, and now it's too late because her own level has dropped while everyone else's has gone up. And even if she gets back to her level of 2010-2011 it won't be enough anymore. She'll have to be better than she was in those days to have any sort of chance of doing it now, and I can't see that happen. She missed the boat or fell overboard midway through and late in 2011 when she started struggling while the other important players of her age group (Kvitova, Vika, Aga) made their move and she's been swimming ever since to catch up but she's only seen that boat disappearing ever further into the distance.
Chrissie-fan.....never say never. I like Caro. I think she has a great personality and is 'down to earth'. She doesn't have an arrogant bone in her. I reckon she could do with a good coach who can help her improve in many areas but little at a time. So far her father is just putting so much pressure on her in every match. He gives her these lectures about 3-4 times in a match. That's enough to do anyone's brain in. She needs someone who can help her retain her style of play but make few changes at a time. She is still only 22. By the time she gets to Maria's age, hopefully Serena will no longer be around.
Advantage Me is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1562
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

^ I agree. While I don't think she'd win a major anytime soon, but Woz has certainly shown (early on in her career) she can be an offensive grinder not unlike Vika today. And if she continues to improve her weaknesses and maintain her consistency, there just might be a chance for her when some draw opens up nicely. Obviously I'd hope Maria is there to take her out in that case
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1563
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
^ I agree. While I don't think she'd win a major anytime soon, but Woz has certainly shown (early on in her career) she can be an offensive grinder not unlike Vika today. And if she continues to improve her weaknesses and maintain her consistency, there just might be a chance for her when some draw opens up nicely. Obviously I'd hope Maria is there to take her out in that case
Well, if the draw opens up for Caro Maria won't be there to take her out.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1564
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympianPova View Post
Chrissie-fan.....never say never. I like Caro. I think she has a great personality and is 'down to earth'. She doesn't have an arrogant bone in her. I reckon she could do with a good coach who can help her improve in many areas but little at a time. So far her father is just putting so much pressure on her in every match. He gives her these lectures about 3-4 times in a match. That's enough to do anyone's brain in. She needs someone who can help her retain her style of play but make few changes at a time. She is still only 22. By the time she gets to Maria's age, hopefully Serena will no longer be around.
I don't know what to make of him really. I don't want to be too hard on him because we only get to see a few minutes of the countless hours he spends with her and I don't doubt that he's a loving father and he means well and all that. But when I see those lectures and see the translations of some of them.....I can't imagine that they help Caroline much. If anything he's making his daughter who's already struggling with her self-confidence even more nervous than she already is with all his scolding. Tactically he must have some insights into the game after all these years, but I often feel that he's putting too much info out there and that he would do better by keeping it simple and just concentrating on one or two key areas. I don't know. I guess that she feels more as ease when he's around. That wouldn't be a problem if there would be a 'real' coach and Piotr would just be around for emotional support, like her mum. I don't think that Piotr is willing to play second fiddle though.

It's also different than with Maria. Maria's dad got tired of being on the road all the time with her while Caro's dad loves it and gets a kick out of it. That makes it from an emotional perspective harder for her to give him the boot. She probably feels indebted to him for bringing her this far (and he does indeed deserve some credit for that) and would regard it as an act of betrayal on her part to kick him out. It's never as easy from the inside as it looks from the outside. Especially not when there is family involved, and even less so when that family is a father that she's obviously very close to.

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1565
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Tignor's piece on Tennis.com

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/...istents/46826/
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1566
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Still can't believe Maria has an IW title to her name this year .

If she wins Miami as well I wonder how the clay season will unfold .
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1567
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats for 2nd title at Indian Wells, Maria !!!

Very strong performance. Simply too good for Caroline. Very happy

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1568

Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all Advantage Me is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreiter View Post
Steve Tignor's piece on Tennis.com

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/...istents/46826/
Thanks for the link, mreiter. I enjoyed reading the article. Steve is such a good writer.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1569
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

I like this quote from Maria yesterday: “I didn’t feel I played my best tennis in the beginning of the tournament. It’s always best to work your way through a tournament and get better as it ends than sometimes start extremely well and don’t feel like you’re gaining momentum as the tournament goes on.”

I think she learned from what happened in Melbourne and that she probably put too much into that Venus match. Things were too easy for her in the early rounds and it looked like she wasn't mentally ready for Li Na. But at IW, Maria wasn't satisfied with her early wins and knew she could get better even though she wasn't dropping any sets. She had her eye on the late rounds and saved her best for the end.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I like this quote from Maria yesterday: “I didn’t feel I played my best tennis in the beginning of the tournament. It’s always best to work your way through a tournament and get better as it ends than sometimes start extremely well and don’t feel like you’re gaining momentum as the tournament goes on.”

I think she learned from what happened in Melbourne and that she probably put too much into that Venus match. Things were too easy for her in the early rounds and it looked like she wasn't mentally ready for Li Na. But at IW, Maria wasn't satisfied with her early wins and knew she could get better even though she wasn't dropping any sets. She had her eye on the late rounds and saved her best for the end.
Yeah she was saving her energy to play Vika who chickened out
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1571
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

I've wrote a review of the whole tournament on my own tennis (and skiing) blog: http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it/20...s-back-to.html
hope you enjoy it

oh and congrats to Maria, she was outstanding last night

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1572
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

So, in every tournaments are given smaller trophies? also in ATP?
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1573
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Can I repeat how happy I am that she's won IW again?!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1574
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

^Yes you can as many times as you want
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1575
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Indian Wells has really lifted my spirits. It's emotionally been the best week of what for me personally has so far been an extremely dreadful year. It was exciting for me to see Caro doing well again at a big event and she made me forget at least for awhile about the painfull stuff. And after the initial disappointment over the lost final I'm very happy for Maria as well.

Strange what this game called tennis can do for someone.