New Big West - 2012-13 - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #166
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: March 5th 2013 rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but isn't the rankings meaningless, especially this early in the season???
That's a poor perspective to have. Maybe for ranked teams that don't have a realistic shot at an NCAA at-large, rankings matter less because their conference tourney is everything and their only ticket into the NCAA tournament. But for most of the ranked teams that have something to play for whether trying to get into the top 16 to host, top 32 to be a 2 seed or top 42 to receive an NCAA at-large the rankings are very meaningful. It's better to be in position already & hold on as opposed to being on the outside and having to fight your way into the top 16, 32 or 42.

In UCI's case every match is meaningful. UCI is trying to win the Big West Conference outright and get the #1 seed for the conference tournament. To do so we can't slip up or we'll give a share of the regular season title to Long Beach St. UCI is also fighting to remain in the top 30 to get a 2 seed and fighting for an outside chance at hosting a regional. Again to keep our slim hosting hopes alive UCI needs to win out and can't afford any slip ups.

The individual rankings are very meaningful also. Someone like UCI's #101 Kristina Smith needs to be ranked at season's end to earn the Big West NCAA singles automatic bid. Kristina can't really afford to lose to an unranked player if she wants to stay ranked. At the same time Kristina is in the race for Big West Player of the Year and can't slip up in conference if she wants to beat out Hawaii's #1 Poljakova.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #167
country flag Alaskan

Alaskan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: March 5th 2013 rankings

The Big West Champion is the team that comes up on top at the end of the tournament in Palm Desert, PERIOD!!
Alaskan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #168
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Updates

3/15/13

#23 UCI def. UC Davis 4-0

Maybe they stopped the match early so the UCI ladies could attend the men's basketball Big West Tournament at the Honda Center.

In which UCI upsets #1 seed Long Beach State 67-60.

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #169
country flag Alaskan

Alaskan is an unknown quantity at this point

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile
Alaskan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #170
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
Man your use of analogies are terrible. That's something you would say for example if a fan makes a half court shot.

The better analogy is cream rises to the top. Come the Big West Tournament basketball teams like UCI that improve throughout the season will end up upsetting teams like Long Beach St. that stay the same.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #171
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #172
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
Squirrels actually have a very keen sense of smell which they use both to locate buried acorns/nuts and to determine whether said food has been compromised or is diseased...so that's really a terrible analogy any way you look at it.

Sorry for the zoological smack talk, but though a blind squirrel might not survive predators for long, it would have no trouble finding an acorn!
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #173
country flag gouci

3/18/13

#50 Tulane def. #40 Ohio St. 4-2

- Big win by Tulane will help UCI.

#75 Missouri def. #41 Arkansas 5-2

#66 LSU def. #75 Missouri 6-1

- Kaitlin Burns upsets #114 Cierra Gaytan-Leach (Missouri) 6-0,6-1. It would help UCI's Kristina Smith if Burns were to get ranked again.

- 1st great of Missouri to beat Arkansas to ensure they stay ranked. 2nd that ensures the ranked win by LSU over Missouri helps out UCI & LBS.

Pepperdine def. Michigan St. 4-0

Pepperdine def. Marshall 4-1

- I can see Pepperdine getting on a roll and getting ranked again starting by beating #52 SDSU on Wednesday 3/20.

- Also on Wednesday if #37 LBS can beat #58 Iowa that would help UCI.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #174
country flag gouci

3/19/13

#58 Iowa def. Dartmouth 5-2

CSUN def. UC Davis 4-3

#61 Fresno St. def. Cal Poly 4-3

San Diego def. #6 Nebraska 5-2

- Nebraska was at full strength. San Diego like Pepperdine started with a brutal schedule losing to numerous top 25 teams.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #175
country flag gouci

3/19/13 Rankings

23. UC Irvine (+0)
41. Long Beach St. (-4)
67. UCSB (-4)

39. Tulane (+11)
50. SMU (-2)
54. LSU (+12)
57. SDSU (+5)
65. UNC Greensboro (NR)
72. Boston College (-10)
74. Iowa (-16)
75. LMU (NR)
NR. San Jose St. (dropped out)
NR. Louisville (dropped out)
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #176
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
- Nebraska was at full strength. San Diego like Pepperdine started with a brutal schedule losing to numerous top 25 teams.
Going from snow and indoor tennis in Nebraska to playing a good team like USD outdoors in California was stupid scheduling. You have to start playing outdoors at some point, but that coach would have been smarter to schedule a couple of easy ones.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 03:44 AM   #177
country flag gouci

3/21/13

#50 SMU def. #61 Columbia 4-3

#75 LMU def. #62 Princeton 4-3

- What a surprising win which helps UCI.

Princeton lost because they were overconfident and sat out their blue chip #1 singles Amanda Muliawan.

#41 Long Beach St. def. #74 Iowa 4-3

- UCI who defeated all 3 winning teams above is thankful each time those teams get a ranked win.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #178
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Big West - 2012-13

gouci you really are a partisan

LMU win, WCC is really good this season..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #179
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ucirvinesports.com/sports...20130318aorbfj

Who is the UCI writer Evidently has some poetic skill

"TAMING THE TIGERS

WYOMING IS COMING

UCI matches up with the Cowgirls of Wyoming for the second year in a row. Wyoming is ranked 70th with a 6-5 record. It is 4-5 away from home, but 0-5 in true road matches including losses to No. 6 Nebraska and No. 2 Duke.

There is a 'true' road match?

BIG WEST HORNET'S NEST"

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:33 AM   #180
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

PAC's most resent result and Masarova isn't #1
Maybe I need to see PAC players play :P

Score from their website;

Match Results:

Doubles competition
1. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Hana Ritterova/Iveta Masarova (PAC) 8-2
2. Bianca Modoc/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Susan Te/Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 8-1
3. Aishwarya Agrawal/Anneka Watts (FS) vs. Regina Suarez/Christina Ferrari (PAC) 5-4, unfinished

Singles competition
1. Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-3, 6-4
2. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Iveta Masarova (PAC) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)

3. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Susan Te (PAC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Christina Ferrari (PAC) 6-0, 6-4
5. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Sheena Chadhuri (PAC) 6-2, 6-0

Match Notes:
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,4,5,3,1,2)

Final Score: #66 Fresno State 6, Pacific 1

The recaps says Hana is Freshman but the profile says Sophomore

photo by Randall Gee, from PAC website

- Woodrow Wilson