Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign - Page 47 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #691
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
Even though the first two and a half months of the year have been less than stellar for Mirjana, her points total in 2013 through Indian Wells is well ahead of 2012 and especially 2011 and 2010:

2013 ... 129 points
2012 ... 89 points
2011 ... 33 points
2010 ... 24 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
It is more points, but not enough. Difference in tennis she plays is even bigger.
Compared to last year she would need to win around 200 points more until Wimbledon

So here's the interesting thing. Yes, she has a lot of points to make up later this year. But she ended 2010, 2011 and 2012 around the same ranking she has now, despite picking up many fewer points through mid March:

2012 ... 108
2011 ... 116
2010 ... 105

In other words, if she can at the very least match her previous performances later in the year, she should finish this year in the top 100. Hopefully she can do better than that!
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #692
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

It's very interesting, and she still has time. If won't be easy, but if she can some how be 100 - 150 points ahead of last year's accumulation before the French Open, she will be in a strong position to make very significant inroads the rest of the season. I say this because I really think she is playing the kind of ball that's good enough to reach a decent WTA quarterfinal and upset some Top 50, maybe even that elusive Top 20 player before Paris rolls around, and to have a 100/150 point surplus by the FO, she'll need a couple of really strong results, at least.

May the draws be favorable for her, including the one coming out tomorrow.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #693
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Miami Q draw should be out any minute now. Here's keeping fingers crossed for Mirjana!
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #694
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm probably jinxing it, but i just hope she and donna aren't in the same section!
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #695
country flag vladekCRO

vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold

First QR against Shuai Zhang

FQR against Doi/Mattek Sands

tough
vladekCRO is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #696
country flag networthy

Not easy. I'm hoping for one win.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #697
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

very tough...good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #698
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Mirjana is 1-0 against Shuai, having beaten her in straights at the 2010 USO. Mirjana is in good form, so she should win.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #699
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of

Shuai is out of form and Mirjana has beaten her. Doi beat Lucic 2 and 2 at either Indian Wells or Miami qualifying in 2011. But Mirjana is playing better now. Bethanie could be the toughest of the section but she is up and down. I'd prefer Doi than Sands the way Lucic is playing now.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #700
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

No I feel Mirjana has the game to strangle both of these women. Mirjana will especially rise to any challenge against the dramatic Sands.

Fair enough draw.

If she wants advancement, these are simply opponents to be beaten (CRUSHED).

Take heart, Miki ...
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #701
country flag networthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
No I feel Mirjana has the game to strangle both of these women.
She does, in spades. But you know how it is with Mirjana. She *seems* to be fully there but in reality, often her legs don't show up, or her heart, or her serving arm, or, often, her head. With her, it's always a crapshoot, until the very last point.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #702
country flag networthy

Some very good news: This week, Mirjana re-entered the top 100 in doubles since god-knows-when

Even better, she actually entered the top 90. She went up 14 spots, from 104 to 90.

Well done, Mirjana!
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #703
country flag networthy

^ Hope she also plays doubles in Miami and that she and partner get a winnable R1 match.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #704
country flag networthy

And she just barely missed the top 100 in singles. She moved up 8 spots, from 109 to 101
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #705
country flag mikireturns

I wish fabulous things for Mirjana in this draw!

This will also mark the end of my posts/commentary here. Gearing-up to move to Asia, work-wise.

A very happy move.

As documented, I have been a fan of Mirjana since I was a California tennis magazine editor in 1997 and then met her slugging-it-out a decade later (by total chance!) in a total crap-hole in Ft. Walton Beach, FL ... Where she was sad-but-charming, and where she kicked Irina Begu's ass (much to the displeasure of Begu's chain-smoking mama, who bitched at me for cheering for Miki ... and I told her to STUFF it -- I certainly knew tennis etiquette ... Especially in a horror-hole like the club in FWB. Mirjana crushed her in the last two sets and, when congratulated, said very humbly: "Thanks. It's nice because she beat me two weeks ago." All the while, she was scanning the "draw" ... which was a dirty white-board at that godforsaken event.

I will never forget the opinion of a (very pleasant & flashy) Croatian gentleman who came to see her play, with his very kind wife, and who said: "Well, she is nothing. It is useless. Mentally, she is done."

I did not know enough to counter him with a strong opinion at that particular time, but she must have been ranked in the 300s. You could see that her thin fingers were ice-cold, because it was a vicious Florida winter, icy and wicked humid, in that weird panhandle of Florida.

Wow. Was that a$$hole ever wrong about Mirjana. She went on to play upon the greatest stages in her sport again, against all odds, and we see her playing her best this season.

Following Mirjana's results, particularly with such knowledgeable fans, has been a pleasure and I have learned so much. I am perhaps too direct and overbearing and opinionated, but too bad. There are worse things to endure in life than strong opinions. I wish I had been more diplomatic, but I am hoping that many of you are players, and understand the particular interest in competition.

Perhaps I wouldn't have been so full of opinions if I were not a USTA 5.0-rated player, and if I were not a very aggressive player like Mirjana ... although I know how to play the %'es! I certainly may have jabbered-on too much, and I apologize, but at least I am a hungry player (and winner) of the game.

I hope Mirjana experiences the key breakthrough she has been working to achieve: a Slam QF, SF, or a WTA singles title.

I honestly don't know if she will manage that, but I absolutely believe she can do that much.

Kudos to her and to all her great fans when it happens. And for anyone whose nose got out of joint because I posted here ... Get real.

Best~