1986 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #16
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

TENNIS EXHIBITION OR NOT, ROBIN WHITE ENJOYS A WIN
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, January 6, 1986
Bob Hill

So it wasn't the U.S. Open or Wimbledon or even one of those WTA tournaments they play in Butte or Sioux Falls or wherever that circuit roams. So it wasn't a regular tournament or even a real one for that matter.

It was just an exhibition. But Robin White did win it, and hey, it's always fun to win.

Right?

"Right," said White, who led her team of four (three amateurs and a female pro) past Lisa Bonder's team 22-11 Sunday in the final of the Pringle's Light Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic at PGA National.

"I really had fun out there. It was a good time," said White, and a good way to prepare for the real season, which begins with this week's Virginia Slims stop in Washington. "This is probably the only clay-court tournament I'll ever win. I usually try to avoid the stuff as much as possible."

She played the clay as well as the competition in winning the charity event -- the competition adapting to playing with a new teammate every few games. One of White's partners was Bud Collins, the NBC-TV announcer and Boston Globe writer.

"I had no idea he was any good," White said. "He played well."

So did White, which is no surprise. She`s been playing well for a year now. In 1985, she won the Virginia Slims of Pennsylvania, reached the quarterfinals at Birmingham and the Virginia Slims of Denver.

She reached the fourth round of the U.S. Open (where she lost to Chris Evert Lloyd 6-2, 6-4) and the third round at Wimbledon and completed the year with her highest ranking -- 35th.

"It was my best year," White, 22, said.

And her most enjoyable.

"I had a lot of fun," she said. "At the end of 1984 I decided I had better have some fun or find a new sport. I hadn't had a good year and I was playing too tight."

So she arrived at a decision: "I said this is nine matches in row I've lost. This is ridiculous. I've got to do something different. I know I can play tennis and I know I still enjoy it."

And she knew she could come back. She'd done it before.

At 15, when most tennis prodigies are reveling in their first headlines and toying with the idea of turning pro, White suffered the first of two knee injuries.

She injured her left knee skiing and missed eight months. A year later, not fully recovered, she injured her right knee playing basketball for her high school team.

The layoff didn't help her tennis, but it did a lot for her demeanor.

"I'm not glad I got the injuries, but I'm glad I got a chance do other things," she said. "I found out about high school and basketball games and parties and fun and the beach. I love the beach. I think that helped me to become a more well-rounded person.

"When you're 8 years old, all you do is play tennis for the six years. Then you have a serious injury for the first time, and it's hard to take. I really didn't know what to do for the first couple of months."

White knew what to do when her career faltered in 1984 -- stay loose.

"I had such a rough year in 1984," she said. "I couldn't win a close match. Then I got to the point where I couldn't win any match. So I knew I had to do something." She did.

"I stay relaxed now," she said. "I still want to win, but I'm loose."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #17

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

LLOYD FAMILY'S HOME TO BE IN BOCA RATON
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, January 7, 1986
JIM MARTZ

The Lloyds of London, Palm Springs and formerly Amelia Island, Fla., are planting roots in Boca Raton.

Chris Evert Lloyd and her husband John Lloyd announced Monday that they are becoming residents and the tennis touring pros at the Polo Club Boca Raton, one of seemingly hundreds of golf and tennis developments sprouting in southern Palm Beach County.

This will not be a condo-near-the-beach residence they zip in and out of two or three weeks a year, as they did the last four at Amelia Island. This will be home, a sprawling house (area prices are $150,000 to $600,000) on or near a golf course.

"A place where we can have our own back yard," John said. And in the future, a place to raise a family.

"We need to settle somewhere," Chris said. "We're near the end of our careers (both are 31). In the next five years we'll stop. We'll spend chunks of time here and contribute ourselves, not just our names.

"In the back of our minds, we have to prepare a little bit (for life after the tour). We don't want to be in shock and wonder what to do when we lay down our rackets."

John Lloyd also owns a flat near London, and the Evert family has a condo in Palm Springs. But Chris and John wanted their permanent home in South Florida.

They will be a half-hour from Chris' parents in Fort Lauderdale and a few lob shots from her sister, Jeanne Evert Dubin, who is tennis director at another Boca Raton development, Stonebridge.

"I think Florida is the best place for tennis, better than California," Chris said. "A lot of players live here."

Ivan Lendl, Martina Navratilova , Hana Mandlikova and John McEnroe have South Florida residences, and Jimmy Connors is over at Fort Myers. The Lloyds say another factor in picking Boca Raton is that Chris' friend Kathy Smith, dubbed by Time magazine the "Beverly Hills Fitness Guru," will direct the spa and fitness center for the Polo Club.

At the news conference, it was also announced that Joey Sindelar would be resident golf pro and equestrian expert Rodney Jenkins would be affiliated with Polo Club Boca Raton.

"Now I've got to learn golf and ride a horse," Chris said as she rolled her eyes toward the ceiling.

Added John: "I've got to learn how to get on a horse."
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #18

MARTINA MUST PROVE AGAIN SHE'S BEST
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Monday, January 6, 1986
Compiled From Wire Reports

Martina Navratilova, coming off a year in which she was proven to be a mere mortal, begins 1986 having to demonstrate all over again that she is indeed the best player in women's tennis today.

Navratilova, who in 1985 lost just one less match than she had in the previous three years combined, opens the new year as the top seed in the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tournament that gets under way today.

The defending champion here, Navratilova will be looking for her eighth Washington title.

While Chris Evert Lloyd will not be among the seven women here who ended 1985 ranked in the top 10, Navratilova could be tested by second-seeded Pam Shriver, a local favorite from nearby Lutherville, Md., and West Germany's Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, the third seed here who handed Navratilova one of her five setbacks last year.

By anyone else's standards, a 90-5 singles record and 12 singles titles would be considered a banner year. But Navratilova, 29, long the dominant player on the women's tour, needed a triumph in the Australian Open, the last tournament of 1985, to secure her No. 1 ranking for a fourth year in a row.

Despite all this, Shriver still thinks Navratilova and Lloyd will continue to rule the sport.

"I think it would be difficult for anybody else to be No. 1 or No. 2 this year," said Shriver. "There's so much room on the computer between Martina and Chris and everybody else."

Several challengers to the crown in 1986 will be showcased at the tournament that runs through Jan. 13, including Bulgaria's Manuela Maleeva, who advanced to the final here last year, in which she was beaten by Navratilova. Others bidding for the title include Zina Garrison and Czechoslovakia's Helena Sukova.

But Shriver, who has played well after taking off nearly the first two months of 1985, may have the best shot at dethroning Navratilova, her doubles partner. Shriver said she had planned to take another rest at the outset of 1986, but abandoned the idea after tournament officials pleaded with her to play when it appeared that the field would not be a strong one.

"Then Martina decided to come, and throw in Sukova and Kohde-Kilsch, who has improved a lot, along with the usual baseline corps of young Americans, and all of a sudden it's a strong tournament," Shriver said.

Navratilova will open the tournament against Pam Casale, while Shriver will be tested by West Germany's Sylvia Hanika.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #19

Shriver cruises past Hanika in Washington
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Wednesday, January 8, 1986
From Wire Reports

WASHINGTON - Pam Shriver showed no ill effects from a one-month vacation from the pro tennis tour when she took the court Tuesday night for a first-round match in the Virginia Slims of Washington tournament.

Just back from a vacation in the Bahamas, she beat Sylivia Hanika 6-1, 6-2.

"I felt a little apprehensive because I hadn't played a match in over a month," said Shriver, who broke a three-match losing streak against Hanika. "I served very well - I probably only missed two of three volleys I should have made. Although (Hanika) hasn't been playing very well over the last six months, she's still a dangerous player."

Shriver was one of four seeded players who marched through first-round matches.

Third-seeded Claudia Kohde-Kilsch beat Katerina Maleeva 6-3, 6-1. Maleeva's sister, Manuela, the fourth seed, beat Kate Gompert 6-3, 6-4, and sixth-seeded Helena Sukova defeated Camille Benjamin 6-2, 6-0.

Flach-Seguso team wins

LONDON -Ken Flach and Robert Seguso, winners of the U.S. Open men's double s title, began their defense of the World Doubles title with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 victory over the 1984 champions, Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia.

The doubles-only tournament has a round-robin format.

In a later first-round match, Paul Annacone, formerly of the University of Tennessee, and Christo van Rensburg of South Africa beat Sergio Casal and Emilio Sanchez, both of Spain, 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-5.

Schultz advances

AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Top-seeded Bud Schultz overcame serving problems to defeat New Zealand's Stephen Guy 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 today, advancing to the third round of the Benson and Hedges Grand Prix tournament.

Fourth-seeded Michael Schapers of The Netherlands was forced to retire from his second-round match against Australian Mark Woodforde because of a foot injury.

In another match, Craig Miller of Australia beat New Zealand Davis Cup player Russell Simpson 6-2, 1-6, 6-2.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #20

Carling Basset bows out in first round of tourney
The Toronto Star
Wednesday, January 8, 1986
AP

Californian Anne White knocked off Carling Bassett of Toronto, 6-3, 6-4, during first-round play yesterday in the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tennis tournament.

White, of La Jolla, overcame a 4-0 deficit in the second set to defeat the world's 15th-ranked player.

Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria and Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia also recorded easy victories in advancing to the second round.

Maleeva, the No. 4 seed, defeated Kate Gompert, 6-3, 6-0, and Sukova, the sixth seed, beat Camille Benjamin, 6-2, 6-0.

Maleeva, ranked No. 7 in the world, entered the match against Gompert anxious to avenge last year's three-set loss at the U.S. Clay Courts in Indianapolis.

Using the drop shot when Gompert hugged the baseline and the passing shot when Gompert ventured toward the net, Maleeva made short work of her opponent, the world's 25th-ranked player.

"I remembered last year's match and tried to remember my mistakes," Maleeva said. "I felt I should beat her this time."

Sukova won the first three games of her match against Benjamin, allowing only two points, and never was threatened thereafter.

"Camille has beaten me twice, but the difference today was that I was concentrating from the beginning," Sukova said.

Benjamin, of Bakersfield, Calif., lost her serve six times.

In other first-round matches yesterday, Tina Mochizuki of South Pasadena, Calif., beat Lisa Bonder of Saline, Mich., 7-6 (8-6), 6-1, and Australia's Wendy Turnbull routed Robin White of San Diego, 6-0, 6-3.

Top-seeded Ivan Lendl defeated Andres Gomez, 7-6, 6-1, and Sweden's Anders Jarryd knocked off Davis Cup teammate Stephan Edberg, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6, yesterday in opening-round matches of the $500,000 AT&T Challenge tournament at Atlanta.

Lendl edged past the No. 8 seeded Gomez in the first set, winning the tie-breaker, 7-1, before overpowering the Ecuadorian in the second set.

The Jarryd-Edberg match was even until Jarryd's 7-4 victory in the third set tie-breaker.

Noah will meet Gomez and Jarryd faces McEnroe in this afternoon's matches. Lendl then takes on Jimmy Connors and Edberg plays Kevin Curren tonight.

The tournament brings together eight of the world's top players in a round-robin event. John McEnroe won the inaugural tourney last year in Las Vegas, Nev.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #21

SLOANE TO PLAY NAVRATILOVA TODAY
Lexington Herald-Leader
Thursday, January 9, 1986
Staff, wire reports

Susan Sloane of Lexington, Ky., will play the world's top-ranked tennis player, Martina Navratilova, in the second round today of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington (D.C.) tennis tournament.

Sloane, 14, upset Peanut Louie of San Francisco 7-5, 6-2 yesterday. Louie, 25, is the world's 22nd-ranked player.

Sloane gained a wild-card entry into the tournament, and she made the most of it against Louie, winning nine straight games to turn a 2-5 deficit in the first set into a one-set lead and a 4-0 advantage in the second.

The top-seeded Navratilova beat Pam Casale 6-0, 6-2 yesterday in a late match and second-seeded Pam Shriver was set to meet Tina Mochizuki on Wednesday night..

Zina Garrison, meanwhile, withstood two match points and beat Terry Phelps 2-6, 7-6, 6-4 to advance to the quarterfinals. No. 2 Pam Shriver beat Tina Mochizuki 6-2, 6-0.

Garrison, ranked No. 8 in the world and seeded fifth in the Slims tourney, dropped the first set, then trailed 2-5 in the second before mounting her comeback. Garrison won the next three games, fighting off two match points, and eventually won the set on a tiebreaker, 9-7.

In the final set, Garrison broke serve three times, the last for the match.

Second-seeded Pam Shriver faced Tina Mochizuki last night.

Earlier, eighth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi also rallied to win, beating Australia's Diane Balestrat, 4-6, 6-2, 6-0. Rinaldi won the last nine games of the match.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #22

SPORTS
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Thursday, January 9, 1986
Compiled from wire reports

UNKIND. Martina Navratilova needed 47 minutes to dismantle Pam Casale, 6-0, 6-2, in the first round of the Virginia Slims of Washington. Navratilova: "I wasn't trying to be kind at any time. I used to do that when I was winning 5-0. All of a sudden, they get excited and come back."

"You've just seen the greatest tennis player that ever lived," Casale told the crowd after the match.

Shriver needed just 54 minutes to qualify for the quarter-finals with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Tina Mochizuki. With the exception of the seventh game of the opening set, Shriver allowed only seven points on her serve while blasting three aces.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #23

SLOANE FALLS TO MARTINA, BUT FANTASY IS REALIZED
Lexington Herald-Leader
Friday, January 10, 1986
John Clay

As time and Susan Sloane's talent flowed gloriously ahead, the question became when, not if. One day, not far away, surely she would look across the net and find her opponent to be not another rising junior star, but the best her sport has to offer.

Martina.

Martina Navratilova.

That day came yesterday, that match last night. In second-round singles at the Virginia Slims of Washington women's tennis tournament, Martina Navratilova, No. 1 in the world, met Lexington's own Susan Sloane, a month and four days past her 15th birthday.

"Did you expect it to happen this soon?" Susan's mother, Pat Sloane, was asked.

"No," she said. "Absolutely not."

But it did, right here on the campus of George Washington University. Navratilova won, as expected, 6-3, 6-1, in the first meeting between the two. But that was hardly the whole story. This was history. This was a dream come true.

"At first, I couldn't really believe it," Susan Sloane said. "It took me a while to realize who I was playing."

After all, Susan Sloane is still an amateur, a world-class junior with unlimited potential. Just three months back, she had made the main draw of the U.S. Open. But that lasted a round. And her opponent there was hardly the No. 1 player in the world.

"I've never done anything like this before," she said.

She had learned of the possibility of playing Navratilova when the tournament draw was announced last Friday. A wild-card entrant - reserved for one of the sport's top juniors - and the youngest of the 32-player field, Sloane was matched against San Francisco's Peanut Louie, ranked No. 22 in the world. The winner would face Navratilova, if, of course, Navratilova won her first-round game.

Then on Wednesday, Sloane made fantasy into reality. Unrelenting, running down every shot, she pulled the upset, winning 7-5, 6-2. "The biggest win I've ever had," she said.

Which sent everyone scurrying. Sloane's sister, Kelly, flew in from Cleveland with her fiance to join mother Pat in the waiting game.

Meanwhile, the Washington press corp dashed about in mad attempts to uncover the answer to "Who is this Susan Sloane?" On Sunday, the Washington Post itself had somehow omitted the "e."

"Has she played internationally?" asked a British journalist. "Yes. I thought I'd heard that name somewhere before."

"Are you sure she's just 15?" asked a TV reporter. "She doesn't look 15."

But then how often do 15-year-olds play the best in the world? Imagine a high school pitcher delivering to George Brett. Imagine a high school center guarding Larry Bird.

Then consider Navratilova's list of accomplishments: 13 grand slam titles; close to $10 million in prize money, the No. 1 ranking four consecutive years and on and on.

"I was a little nervous just for who I was playing," said Susan Sloane. "But I really got nervous during the introductions. Hers must of gone on for 10 minutes."

"People have to realize who she was playing," said Pat Sloane. "You look at Chris (Evert) and Martina at the top and then there's like umpteen million points down to Hana Mandlikova ranked third. We just wanted her to be loose and have a good time. We just wanted to see how long she could stay on the court."

Longer than most anyone had a right to expect. If Sloane was nervous, she did not show it. Where some were ready to measure her performance on points won, Sloane won the first game.

"That gave me confidence," she said. "After a while you kind of forget who you're playing."

Or at least until the ball comes shooting back faster than seen before. Navratilova held serve, then broke Sloane's serve to take a 2-1 lead.

But it was not the breeze Martina might have expected it to be. For, wonders of wonders, Sloane came right back to break serve herself, a thundering backhand down the line to earn a sizable roar from the crowd.

"I was surprised at how hard she hit the ball," said Navratilova. "I was glad she missed a few, because when she didn't she knew what to do with it."

Soon the string ran out. The misses became more numerous. Navratilova's winners increased. Six of the next seven games went Navratilova's way. In starting the second set, she captured 12 straight points.

"She just hit some unbelievable shots," said Sloane.

Sloane did show more flashes of brilliance, holding serve in the fourth game, taking Navratilova to deuce in the sixth. But in the end, a Navratilova ace (her sixth) closed it out.

But afterward, as Ted Tinling, the noted tennis designer and all-around gadabout for the women's game, interviewed both players, the crowd's warmest applause appeared to fall on the 15-year-old.

"She played well," said Navratilova. "She seems to have a good head on her shoulders. She needs to work on her overall game; needs to work on her footwork.

"When she anticipated right, she was great. But when she didn't, she had trouble.

"She's 15. When I was 16 against Chris I was just excited to be on the same court with her. There was nothing to lose. No pressure. Out there tonight took me back 12 years, uh, 13 years."

And Martina Navratilova also said this: "I hope by the time she hits her peak, I'll be out of the game."

"I just wanted to play well and see what it was like," said Susan Sloane. "I think I played probably the best I could have played."

What more is there?

Other than a second chance.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #24

SLOANE'S THREE-MONTH BREAK HAS RECENTLY PAID DIVIDENDS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Friday, January 10, 1986
John Clay

It was the end of summer when Susan Sloane decided that maybe she and match play had seen enough of each other. At least for the time being.

"It was Susan's decision," said her mother, Pat Sloane, yesterday. "She just said 'I'm not playing.' And we said okay, that's fine."

This was just after the U.S. Open in September. It was there that Lexington native Susan Sloane, all of 14 years old, brightly burst upon the big-league scene.

Winning three qualifier matches, Sloane advanced to the main women's draw. There, she was beaten 6-4, 6-3 by 19-year-old Beverly Bowes of Lubbock, Texas.

That did nothing to tarnish the accomplishment. Susan Sloane was, after all, 14. Just three months earlier, she was winning her third consecutive state high school tennis championship.

"But Susan was the only women's player to play all three weeks in the U.S. Open," said Pat Sloane. "She played the qualifier, the main draw and the juniors (advancing further in that classification than any other American). After that, she was mentally tired. She needed a break."

That came in the form of Nick Bolliterri's tennis academy in Florida. As of September, Sloane began attending school there so she would not have to return to Lexington as often.

In the morning she attends classes. In the afternoon she is on the court. Not playing. Practicing.

"That was three months of just working on things," said Pat Sloane. "She's just been making some minor changes in her game. She didn't play a tournament the whole time."

At least not until last month's Orange Bowl, the prestigious juniors tournament played on a clay surface in Miami. "Susan wasn't really ready to play - she wasn't match-tough - but she wanted to play," said Susan's mother. "She didn't play a bad match, the other girl just zoned."

That other girl was Argentina's Betina Fulcow, who knocked Sloane (now 15 years old as of Dec. 5) out of the first round of the 18-and-unders with a 6-4, 6-4 triumph.

"It was a tough match and Susan isn't as good on clay," said Pat Sloane. "After the break, she just wasn't really up for her first match."

Therefore, the loss did nothing to convince the Sloanes that Susan's break wasn't just what the doctor ordered. "The break was the greatest thing in the world for her," Pat Sloane said.

Surely her showing in Washington has been proof of that. After the Orange Bowl, Sloane returned to Lexington Dec. 17. Two days after Christmas she was told she had earned a wild card into the 32-player draw for the Virginia Slims of Washington tournament. "For Susan to get in was just a plain honor," said Pat.

Not to mention actually winning a match. This particular tournament took no professional player who wasn't in the top 35 in the world. Such notables as Carling Bassett and Lisa Bonder were upset in the first round.

So, too, was Peanut Louie, ranked 22nd in the world. Sloane fell behind 5-2 in the first set, then won eight straight games, rolling on to a 7-5, 6-2 triumph.

"Susan's concentration right now is as good as it's ever been. After the match, I was asking her about points and shots and she said, 'Mother, I cannot recall a single point out there.' That's the way she used to be - she used to never see anybody in the crowd, or around the court or anything. She sees nothing but that ball. It's just total tunnel vision. And she was right back to that against Louie."

In this case, "right back" means one step forward.

"That was a really big win for Susan," said Pat Sloane. "It showed us that she's finally ready to play with these people."
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #25

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Friday, January 10, 1986
Associated Press

World Doubles:

Two-time champions Heinz Guenthardt of Switzerland and Balazs Taroczy of Hungary continued their quest for a record third World Doubles title, beating No. 2 seeds Paul Annacone of the U.S. and Christo Van Rensburg of South Africa in a 4 1/4-hour match in London.

Guenthardt and Taroczy, the Wimbledon champions, beat the Australian Open titlists 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 7-6 (10-8), 6-7 (5-7), 6-3 to assure themselves of a semifinal place in the $200,000 tourney.

The match, on the Supreme surface at the Royal Albert Hall, was riddled with errors and enlivened only by Taroczy's occasionally brilliant touch play.

The European pair, seeded No. 3, appeared headed for a four-set triumph, but their rivals fought back to produce a near repeat of their marathon Wimbledon clash, which Guenthardt and Taroczy won after a 24-22 final set score.

Earlier, 1984 champions Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia scored a 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5) triumph over Britain's John Lloyd and American Peter Fleming.

Also, Americans Mike DePalmer and Gary Donnelly beat Spaniards Sergio Casal and Emilio Sanchez 6-2, 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-4), andKen Flach and Robert Seguso, the U.S. Open titlists, defeated French Open champions Mark Edmondson and Kim Warwick of Australia 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6).

Virginia Slims of Washington :

Seeded players Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany and Czechoslovakia's Helena Sukova advanced to the quarterfinals of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington Championship.

Kohde-Kilsch, the tournament's third seed, defeated Australia's Wendy Turnbull 6-4, 6-4. Sukova, seeded sixth, ousted Yugoslavia's Sabrina Goles 6-0, 6-4.

Kohde-Kilsch, battling her own serve as much as her opponent in the early going, spotted Turnbull a 3-0 lead in the first set before righting herself.

The 22-year-old West German was guilty of 10 double faults in the match, seven in the initial set.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #26

4TH-SEEDED MALEEVA WITHSTANDS SUKOVA
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Saturday, January 11, 1986
Compiled From Wire Reports

Fourth-seeded Manuela Maleeva defeated sixth-seeded Helena Sukova, 6-3, 6-4, to advance to the semifinals of the Virginia Slims of Washington.

Maleeva, the first player to advance to the semifinal round, will next play the winner of Friday night's match between second-seeded Pam Shriver and seventh-seeded Bonnie Gadusek.

After exchanging service breaks in the first two games of the opening set, both players settled into the match, each holding serve until the eighth game.

Sukova, content to play from the baseline in the early stages of the match, changed strategy in the eighth game, moving aggressively to the net behind her first serve. It proved a tactical mistake, as Maleeva, 16, repeatedly caught her out of position at the net with deep passing shots.

After winning the eighth game to take a 5-3 lead, Maleeva held service at love to capture the set.

In the second set Maleeva built a 4-1 lead after breaking Sukova's service in the first and fifth games.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #27

Tennis - Shriver defeats Gadusek 7-6, 7-6; Maleeva, Bunge make semifinals
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Saturday, January 11, 1986
From Wire Dispatches

WASHINGTON - Second-seeded Pam Shriver survived two tiebreakers and beat No. 7-seed Bonnie Gadusek 7-6, 7-6 Friday night to advance to the semifinals of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington Tennis.

In a second-round match Friday night, Monaco's Bettina Bunge outlasted No. 8 Kathy Rinaldi 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 in a match lasting more than two hours.

"I was determined to keep fighting to the end," said Bunge, after posting her second victory in five months.

Vice president and Mrs. George Bush joined a sellout crowd of 4,900 in viewing the evening matches inside George Washington University's Smith Center.

Shriver, trailing five games to six, won the 12th game to force the first-set tiebreaker. Both players battled from behind in the tiebreaker with Shriver staving off two set points and Gadusek four before Shriver prevailed 11-9.

In the second set, both players held service through 12 games to the tiebreaker -- Gadusek winning the 12th game after fighting off two set points. Shriver captured the second-set tiebreaker, 7-3.

Shriver will next play No. 4 seed Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria on Sunday. Maleeva advanced to the semifinals Friday afternoon, ousting No. 6 Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia 6-3, 6-4.

At the other end of the draw is top-seeded Martina Navratilova, who defeated Maleeva for the title here last year.

The match between Maleeva and Sukova featured the world's seventh-(Maleeva) and eighth-rated players. It also marked Maleeva's fourth victory in the five matches between the two.

Maleeva was at her best in the final game, displaying a variety of shots in winning at love and taking points with a passing shot off a running forehand at the net, a lob over her 6-foot-1 opponent's head and a two-backhand delivered crosscourt.

Briefly . . .

John Lloyd and Peter Fleming advanced to the semifinals of the $200,000 World Doubles Championships in London, upsetting top-seeded Ken Flach and Robert Seguso, the defending champions, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5, 6-2. . . . In Auckland, New Zealand, unseeded Bill Scanlon beat Australian Brad Drewett 6-4, 6-2 in the quarterfinals of the Benson and Hedges Grand Prix tournament.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #28

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Sunday, January 12, 1986
Associated Press

Slims of Washington:

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova used a hard-charging net game to rout Zina Garrison 6-1, 6-2 and advance to the semifinals of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington, D.C.

Garrison, seeded fifth, failed to hold service until the seventh game of the second set in being dispatched by Navratilova in 58 minutes.

Navratilova joined second-seeded Pam Shriver of the United States and Bulgaria's Manuela Maleeva, the fourth seed, in the semifinals.

No. 3 seed Claudia Kohde-Kilsch played fellow West German Bettina Bunge in another semifinal match later yesterday. The winner will play Navratilova today.

World Doubles:

Two-time champions Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland and Balazs Taroczy of Hungary blasted defending champions Ken Flach and Robert Seguso of the United States in four sets to reach the finals of the World Doubles Tennis Championships in London for the fourth time in five years.

Winners in 1982 and 1983 and reigning Wimbledon doubles champions, Gunthardt and Taroczy avenged last year's defeat by winning 7-5, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3) in 2 1/2 hours.

In today's finals they will meet the No. 2 seeds, Australian Open champions Paul Annacone of the United States and Christo Van Rensburg of South Africa.

The 22-year-old Annacone and Van Rensburg, 23, crushed John Lloyd of Britain and American Peter Fleming 6-1, 6-2, 6-2 in the other semifinal.

Benson and Hedges:

Top seeded Bud Schultz of the United States defeated fifth-seeded Australian Wally Masur 7-6, 6-7, 9-7 in Auckland, Australia to advance to the finals, where he will play unseeded Australian Mark Woodforde, who surprised crowd- favorite Bill Scanlon of the United States 6-1, 2-6, 6-4, in the other semifinal match.

Louisiana-Pacific:

Aaron Krickstein and Brad Gilbert both defeated their semifinal opponents 6-4, 6-3 to move into the men's singles final at the $50,000 Louisiana-Pacific Invitational in Portland, Ore. Krickstein needed only 57 minutes to beat Leo Lavalle of Mexico City, while Gilbert needed just a little more time to beat Jimmy Arias.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #29

NAVRATILOVA, SHRIVER GAIN FINALS OF SLIMS TOURNAMENT
Lexington Herald-Leader
Monday, January 13, 1986
Associated Press

Top seeds Martina Navratilova and Pam Shriver each defeated highly-ranked foes yesterday to advance to the finals of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington (D.C.) tennis tournament.

Navratilova used a powerful serve and an imposing net game to beat Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany, fifth-ranked player in the world, 7-5, 6-3, and Shriver struggled before overcoming the baseline tactics of No. 7 Manuela Maleeva 6-3, 6-4.

Navratilova and Shriver, close friends who teamed to win 109 straight doubles matches, will play for the championship tonight.

Navratilova, the defending champion and seven-time titlist at Washington, has not lost a set in the tournament. Although she was tested in the first set against Kohde-Kilsch, Navratilova nevertheless needed only 65 minutes to become a finalist for the ninth time in 11 tries in the Washington tournament.

Kohde-Kilsch served unusually well, making about 80 percent of her first serves and recording no double faults.

"There's not much strategy in playing a serve-and-volleyer," said Navratilova. "You get the first serve in and get the first volley in. I don't play her any differently than I play Shriver or (Helena) Sukova."

In beating Kohde-Kilsch for the 14th time in 16 attempts, Navratilova never trailed and lost her serve only once.

That service break temporarily thrust Kohde-Kilsch, the third seed, back into the match. Serving for the first set with a 5-3 lead, Navratilova held a 30-15 advantage before losing the last three points and the game. The two each held serve before Navratilova captured the set when Kohde-Kilsch, serving at 5-6, watched as two Navratilova shots zipped past her and struck the line. Frustrated, Kohde-Kilsch lost the pivotal game and opening set by hitting a forehand into the net at 15-40.

"She was just a little bit luckier than I was," said Kohde-Kilsch, the world's fifth-ranked player. "Those two passing shots hit right on the line. Then in the second set, I had a chance to break her but was unlucky and didn't."

Kohde-Kilsch was referring to the third game, a 14-point marathon in which she had four break points but failed to capitalize. Navratilova eventually won the game and the set shortly after breaking serve in the eighth game.

"I should have won the set long before she could get back into it," Navratilova said. "With a bit of luck, it could have been 6-1 or 6-2."

Both players agreed that Navratilova's serve was the difference. In the first set, with the exception of the ninth game, Kohde-Kilsch could only manage three points off Navratilova's booming service.

In the second set, Navratilova got the only break she needed in the eighth game.

"Martina served very well and it was really hard to break her," Kohde-Kilsch said. "That was the key. Sometimes she doesn't serve as hard or as well. I lost my serve only once in the second set, but that was all she needed.

"I tried to attack her very much, more to her backhand. If she has one small weakness, it's her backhand passing shot," Kohde-Kilsch added.

Kohde-Kilsch also said Navratilova's net game was a factor. "She put a lot of pressure on me whenever she attacked the net," Kohde-Kilsch said. "That, and her serve, were too much to overcome."

Like Navratilova, Shriver, of Lutherville, Md., used a formidable serve- and-volley game to win her semifinal match. Although Maleeva passed Shriver from the baseline on several occasions, the majority of Shriver's ventures to the net proved successful.

Shriver, ranked No. 4 in the world and the tournament's second seed, notched the only service break of the first set when she blasted a volley at the net to take control, 5-3.

Shriver won the set by holding serve, earning the final point with a smash at the net. It was to be the second of seven straight games won by Shriver.

Maleeva, of Bulgaria, finally broke the string by winning her serve at love. After Shriver held serve to stretch her lead to 5-1, Maleeva rattled off three straight games, including her only service break of the night.

Shriver then held serve to end Maleeva's comeback and close out the match.

"My serve has really held up this week," said Shriver. "I'm really happy with that part of my game."

Although Shriver has not lost a set throughout the tournament, she will be a decided underdog against Navratilova, who has not lost to Shriver since the U.S. Open in 1982.

World Doubles:

Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland and Balazs Taroczy of Hungary won the $200,000 World Doubles Tennis Championship for a record third time yesterday, beating Australian Open champions Paul Annacone and Christo Van Rensburg in five sets in London.

Winners previously in 1982 and '83 and reigning Wimbledon doubles titlists, the European team won 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-7 (6-8), 6-4 in 3 1/2 hours on the Supreme surface at the Royal Albert Hall, earning the $72,000 first prize.

Gunthardt, 26, and Taroczy, 31, blunted the booming serve of Annacone, 22, of the United States, and slowed Van Rensburg, 23, of South Africa.

Annacone had 13 aces, but oddly, after 36 games without a service break, it was his serve that cracked.

In the fifth set, there wasn't a service break until Annacone faltered. Gunthardt produced a stunning service return, setting up an easy volley for his partner. Thus, the first break point of the match against Annacone was match point for his opponents.

Grand Prix:

Unseeded Mark Woodforde, a 20-year-old Australian, won his first Grand Prix tennis tournament yesterday when he defeated top-seeded American Bud Schultz 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 in the men's singles finals of the Benson and Hedges Open in Auckland, New Zealand. The winner collected $16,000.

European Championships:

The British team of Sarah Gomer and Annabel Croft posted decisive singles victories over the Swedish duo of Karolina Karllsson and Katarina Karllsson as Britain won the finals of a qualifying round of the women's European Tennis Championships in Loana, Italy.

However, both countries and Holland, which beat Italy for third place, advance into the final round of the women's championships which will be played in Baden, Switzerland, in November.

Six teams will contest the final round on a still to be decided date.

Gomer romped over Sweden's Karolina Karllsson in the first match 6-4, 6-1 and Croft then whipped Katarina Karllsson 6-3, 6-4.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #30

NAVRATILOVA WINS SLIMS TITLE BY ROUTING PARTNER SHRIVER
Lexington Herald-Leader
Tuesday, January 14, 1986
Associated Press

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova used a booming serve and an unerring net game to breeze past Pam Shriver 6-1, 6-4, yesterday in the finals of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tennis tournament.

Navratilova did not lose a set in the tournament and her victims included Lexington teen-ager Susan Sloane.

Last night, she blasted six aces and lost her service only once in defeating her close friend in 66 minutes.

Shriver won the opening point of the match when she rapped a ball that hit the net and skipped over Navratilova's racquet.

"After that point, I looked over and saw that she seemed satisfied with herself," Navratilova said. "I figured she meant business, so I told myself that I'll get down to business, too."

The world's top-ranked player proceeded to blast two aces, then broke Shriver's service at 15 to take a 2-0 lead. A forehand cross-court winner past a lunging Shriver provided the second service break and lifted the lead to 5-1, then Navratilova closed out the 22-minute set at deuce with a service winner.

"I've seen her start quickly, but that was ridiculous. She was serving well and cracking her backhand returns," Shriver said. "At least I played a very fine second set."

After collecting a check for $27,000 following her eighth singles title here, Navratilova teamed with Shriver in the doubles finals as the top-seeded team. The duo split the top prize of $10,800 with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over West Germany's Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Czechoslovakia's Helena Sukova.

Shriver, ranked No. 4 and the second-seed here, said before the match that in order to win she would have to hold her service early. She failed to do so, and as a result settled for $13,600 after falling to Navratilova for the 13th straight time.

Shriver mounted a brief comeback in the second set. Shriver, slapped with a code violation after the first point of the second set for kicking the ball, opened the set by holding serve in a game that went 11 points, then broke Navratilova in the next game with an overhead smash for a 2-0 lead for her only service break of the match. But Navratilova again broke serve in the third game when Shriver inexplicably smashed a volley at the net well past the baseline.

It was one of Shriver's numerous unforced errors. While she did a credible job at beating Navratilova to the net, Shriver was not nearly as consistent there in the battle between two of the tour's better serve-and-volley players.

Navratilova broke Shriver's service for the fourth and final time in the pivotal seventh game of the second set. At 30-30 and the games at 3-3, Shriver pumped a backhand volley into the net and then could only watch as Navratilova blasted a backhand off Shriver's serve into the corner of the court.

After Shriver, who had been broken only three times in her previous four matches, battled off a match point on her serve, Navratilova closed out the match at love. The match-winning point came on forehand smash.

The last time Shriver beat Navratilova was at the U.S. Open in 1982.