East Asia - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:05 AM   #91
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: East Asia

Hey, I just wanted to share a precious information that I found on the book

Incidentally, Collins Atlas of the World prints both versions of the English Channel

ENGLISH CHANNEL
(LA MANCHE)

And of course, the more famous

STRAIT OF DOVER
(PAS DE CALAIS)

Now why do they trouble to do that? If it's so 'inane and pointless' ?
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM   #92
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously because it's a Western book for Western consumption and the English Channel is a historically important location in the Western world. It's unrealistic to expect people across the world to know two, three, four or more names for one location because different cultures call it different things. Hence why I said what does it matter what the West calls it, and why do Japan and Korea fight over what people not even from around the area in question call it?

Curious, do they teach multiple names for the English Channel and the Strait of Dover in Korea? Or is it just 영국 해협 and 도버 해협?
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:47 AM   #93
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

But I find parallel entries in non-Europe as well, in this Collins Atlas.

For example,

Korean Bay
(So-chaoson-man)

Yellow Sea
(Huang Hai)

Korea Strait
(Tsushima-kaikyo)

On your question, I don't remember if I was 'taught', but just knew it as 영국 해협 and 도버 해협 when I was young, like you mentioned Boy the French must be mad

I wonder what YOU would like to call it, the so-called 'Sea of Japan'
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:55 AM   #94
country flag fantic

there's even a Wiki entry on this juicy topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_...naming_dispute

I guess Japan won't like 'East Sea' either, since it could mean East 'from' Korea

But really, Sea of Japan is too blatant, don't you think? I mean, look at the map. How can it be Sea of 'Japan'? Korean peninsula claims equal exposure

But curious about that 'Mare Orientale', I guess it was meant as East 'from' Europe, like Middle East, Far East..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Jan 2nd, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #95
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/ar...old-censorship

Quote:
The new sessions of China’s parliament, which kicked off last Sunday, are widely regarded as the start of a new era of administration led by Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang, but the biggest challenge facing global observers is anticipating in what direction China is moving.
One thing was clear in the first week of meetings, according to mainland media insiders: press censorship is not going to ease.
On the contrary, some veteran journalists said the restrictions imposed on them before this year's parliamentary sessions were the most severe they had experienced.
“They [the propaganda departments] used only to tell us not to do something when there was news they considered sensitive; this year, they asked what we wanted to do then killed our story ideas in advance,” said a Beijing-based journalist who asked not to be named.
Some managers of mainland news portals told the South China Morning Post that they would have to follow strict rules during the sessions.
Before the opening ceremony of the National People’s Congress (NPC) and the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), which are also called “lianghui” in China, several mainland journalists expressed their concerns to the Post, and what has happened since then proved their point.
On Sina Weibo, the most popular Chinese Twitter-style site, mainland netizens said the level of censorship was extreme.
If the combined surnames of the top leaders appear as a term, “Huwen” referring to Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao and “Xili” referring to Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang, the posts are blocked. (Amusingly, the terms “Wenhu” and “Lixi” survive the censorship system.)
A Beijing-based newspaper editor complained on Twitter about her own experience on Tuesday. “I added the smiley-face logo when reposting a lyric by Jay Chou, and my post was deleted.” It turned out that the lyric, about a eunuch bowing when stepping down from the stage, was probably regarded as a satire on Wen, who bowed three times after delivering his last working report on Tuesday morning.
The censors even banned topical stories that had nothing to do with lianghui and the state leaders.
A two-month-old baby was choked to death by a car thief in Changchun, Jilin province, on Monday (March 4). After the thief turned himself in the next day, millions of netizens expressed outrage online, blaming not only the cold-blooded murderer but also China’s culture and education systems for shaping the attitude of the car thief.
Meanwhile, propaganda authorities asked media outlets not to publish follow-up stories on the tragedy.
The tough censorship restrictions imposed in the first week of lianghui have undermined the high expectations that many mainland journalists and netizens had since Xi Jinping became party secretary in November.
For about two months, dozens of corrupt officials, some high-ranking, were exposed by the public online, which triggered speculation that Xi might use online tools to help tackle worsening corruption in the party.
Now, the best mainland journalists can hope for in terms of press freedom after lianghui is that Beijing’s censorship returns to its pre-lianghui level.
LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #96
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Three laughs at Tiger Brook

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #97
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute

Number of dead pigs found in Shanghai river rises to 3,323

Fears over drinking water after discovery of rotting animals

Quote:
Chinese officials have found a total of 3,323 dead pigs in a Shanghai river as of Monday afternoon and discovered swine virus in one of them, but they have stressed that the disease is not known to be infectious to humans.

The virus is known as Pocine Circovirus type 2, or PCV-2, a statement posted on Shanghai Agricultural Commission’s official account on China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo said on Monday morning. The statement stressed the virus is not known to cause disease in humans but noted China had seen an increasing occurrence of this kind of virus causing sickness in pigs.

On Thursday, dead pigs were found floating at the Songjiang district section of the Huangpu River that flows through Shanghai. The city’s Water Authority reported the number of dead pigs found to be 3,323 as of Sunday evening, local internet portal Xinmin.cn reported on Monday morning.

The commission conducted tests on multiple organs from five samples, and found the virus present in one sample, while ruling out five other commonly seen diseases, it said in a statement.

The city’s water authority said it had closely monitored the quality of tap water since the dead pigs were discovered and said the water quality remained “normal”, state media Xinhua reported.
After the sick pigs died [they] just dumped them in the river…Constantly. Every day.

Based on the labels found on the dead pigs’ ears, officials said the pigs were raised in Jiaxing, Zhejiang province, which is located on the upper reaches of Huangpu River.

Jiaxing local media reports last week said more than 18,000 pigs from one village had died from illness in the last two months. The reports have sparked fears that residents dumped all of the diseased animals in the river.

CCTV reported local residents near Huangpu River saying that dumping dead, diseased pigs in the river was common practice. “After the sick pigs died [they] just dumped them in the river…Constantly. Every day,” one villager said.

“They are everywhere, and smell very bad,” another said.

Popular blogger and angel investor Xue Manzi on Monday morning criticised the government on China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo for deliberately blocking the news about the dead pigs in Jiaxing, suggesting a connection between the two.

“Over ten thousand pigs died, but only 1,200 of them were found in Huangpu River. Where were the rest of the dead pigs?” he asked in the post which was retweeted for more than 23,000 times as of Monday afternoon.
LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #98
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

AUTHORITIES in Shanghai plucked 611 dead pig carcasses yesterday from the Huangpu River, bringing a total of 8,965 dead pigs found in the river since March 8.

- Shanghai Daily, 2013-3-17

Jiaxing, the birth city of the Communist Party of China, sending messages to the capitalist pigs of Shanghai?

Seriously, I think it is a protest - likely because of corruption in the industry.
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #99
country flag fantic

Leader; Abe's Master Plan

There was also recently (last Sunday?) an article at WSJ about China vs Japan nationalism.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #100
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

Japanese nationalists, Hashimoto and Ishihara have been competing to see who can be more foolishly nationalistic...

First Hashimoto again made stupid comments about the so-called comfort women, saying how they were necessary and the largely voluntary etc...then Ishihara criticized him, not for that, but becuase Hashimoto had mentioned Japanese aggression took place in the war. Ishihara, laughably denies any such aggresion took place!

I believe that teaching of the history of the war has long been inadequate in Japan, and this plays a role in all this. Many Japanese have little notion of the reasons for Chinese and Korean grievences about the war simply because it is only briefly addressed in schools
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #101
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

Japan PM Shinzo Abe visits Yasukuni WW2 shrine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25517205

Things are about to get ugly.
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #102
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Dog commemoration statue at Yasukuni Shrine

Horse commemoration shrine at Yasukuni

Carrier Pigeon commemoration shrine at Yasukuni

Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:54 PM   #103
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill View Post
Japan PM Shinzo Abe visits Yasukuni WW2 shrine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25517205

Things are about to get ugly.
Japan will never change.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #104
country flag fantic

WSJ article.

So, they're now resorting to terrorism; will it work? Indiscriminate bombing by both sides at WWII didn't really have an effect they intended to...(Londoners didn't quit, Germany also carried on the war till the end).

And, China has many fissure lines, not only nationalism; between wealthy(coast) and poor(inland), Communist regime and potential middle class that might want more political freedom, etc..

Should be interesting how the elites will cope with those fundamental problems. Will China fracture in the future? Who knows.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 26th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #105
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

^ Regarding China, its quite decentralized on a day to day level, a big reason so many student protest leaders escaped the country after Tien An Men Square 1989. President Xe will probably do re. the Uighars what his new BFF Vlad did with the Chechens: appoint a strongman from their ethnic group to run the "domestic portfolio" there.

BTW, shouldn't we be discussing the outrageous military coup in Thailand ITT?