Barthel's serve - discuss - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Barthel's serve - discuss

Yes it's reasonably good but let's go beyond that. When watching close up it seems that she sometimes starts to put effort and tense muscles at the point of releasing the ball rather than staying relaxed until her forward motion. Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #2
country flag King Halep

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Barthel's serve - discuss

When did you turn up. How long until you start "analysing" her weight and physical appearance. This place was better without you
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #3
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

I think Mona could improve her serve by deploying her body a little more in her service motion. Right now her serve is mainly about her armswing in my opinion.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
When did you turn up.
Whoa!!! Grow up a little! I've been posting in Barthel threads before you jumped on the bandwagon. Same with Kvitova threads. I can't change your dislike but at least get your facts straight. And if you think that only people who share your viewpoints and thoughts should be fans of any player I'd guess you're going to have a tough time not just on forums but in life. So please grow up a little and don't start harassing me. Now scurry off - people with a real interest in Barthel's game are discussing things. Thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
I think Mona could improve her serve by deploying her body a little more in her service motion. Right now her serve is mainly about her armswing in my opinion.
Okay. I can see that. It fits as if she's using her armswing to generate almost all the power she'd need to tense those muscles at the point of release.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #6
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Come on guys, Mona has one of the very best serves out there. She was in the top ten of ace leaders in 2012, above Kvitova (who is universally regarded as one of the best servers).

So I don't buy the notion of Mona's serve being inadequate or mediocre (I know you didn't literally say that but that's what yer effectively implying with all that "she's muscling it" talk)
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #7
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Her serve is strong. She favours slice serves in general, and sometimes she accidentally gets a bit of slice which she doesn't intend to have. It can appear on her second serve when she tries to go the backhand but slices it towards the centre of the box, but it also appears on her first serve when she tries to go up the T on the deuce side. Overall her serve is quite nice though.

Last edited by HowardH : Mar 16th, 2013 at 06:41 AM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #8
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Come on guys, Mona has one of the very best serves out there. She was in the top ten of ace leaders in 2012, above Kvitova (who is universally regarded as one of the best servers).

So I don't buy the notion of Mona's serve being inadequate or mediocre (I know you didn't literally say that but that's what yer effectively implying with all that "she's muscling it" talk)
I didnt't mean to imply anything and i know that Mona belongs to the best servers on tour. But even the best serve can be improved by little technical adjustments.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

This year her serve is more consistent than in 2012. She's increased a percentage of the first serve (the speed became a little bit less though) and her second serve is improved.
Mona's first serve is one of the best on tour
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #10
country flag yoite

yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice

I think her serve can always be very well. If she can find out the feeling of serve, she can play a lot of aces in the match. But unfortunately, if she lose the felling, there also be a lot of double fault in the match.
Constancy is the main problem of her serve I think.
yoite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #11
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Her serve is great. Even better than last year.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #12
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post

I don't know where all this is coming from. In fact - it's strange. IMO - like I said - Barthel has a good serve. Does that mean it can't be better? Do you not like to discuss ways in which your faves can improve? Not that any of this discussion is affecting them but, for me, part of being a tennis fan is discussing those things. To those who think that being a fan of a player equals thinking that player is near-perfect in all their aspects . . get over it. Even Federer has some wonky things.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Indeed.

Barthel's strength and weakness on serve is how free and loose her racquet arm is.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #14
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoite View Post
Constancy is the main problem of her serve I think.
Could be. Maybe in the moments I saw those close-ups her serve didn't feel flowing to her and like most players she sought to compensate.

IMO Barthel's serve doesn't need any reworking or major tweaking. I do think that she can benefit by staying more relaxed through it.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #15
country flag yoite

yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
IMO Barthel's serve doesn't need any reworking or major tweaking. I do think that she can benefit by staying more relaxed through it.
I couldn't agree more.:thumbup:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
yoite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote