Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 148 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2206
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
There would be no benefits for Tomas. Why wasting his time?
Hmmm . . that seems logical but . . . I don't know. I think Kvitova's ground-strokes are in the same league of pace as some ATP players. Here's something I found from a bygone era:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stewart View Post
CBS had the entire court wired with a sort of radar device during a "Super Saturday" at the US Open, in either '95 or '96. The purpose was to get readings of the groundstroke speeds. Graf and Seles were in the women's final, and the men's semis included Agassi and Sampras (not in the same match) and I forget who else. They announced the readings at one point. Agassi was hitting at 70 MPH, Graf and Seles each at 68, and the other men were less.

If those numbers sound a bit low, keep in mind that groundstrokes are measured different from serves. Service speeds take the initial thrust. A 140 MPH serve is only traveling 70 MPH when it reaches the opposing baseline. That's why I always got a chuckle when some nimrod announcer would say "X served the ball at 125, and Agassi ripped the return back at 130!". Or when the USTA did those commercials (inaccurately) comparing a tennis serve with a baseball pitch a few years back.

As far as spins go, that's not all cut-and-dried either. Someone had a link to a tennis study done years ago at the US Open. It focused mostly on the men players, with a few shots from the women thrown in. And while the average spin was higher for the men, the fastest spin (RPMs) was registered by Jana Novotna's backhand slice. On a hard court, the friction of the surface is such that it reverses the spin of a sliceshot upon the bounce. Yet Novotna's shot was so heavily spun, it still had backspin on it after the bounce. No other player in the group examined did that. (Note: sample did not include Steffi Graf, whose backhand slice had more "bite" than Jana's.)

We've seen a few of these combined events where they had that all-court gizmo for the men's matches, which could tell you the speed of the various shots. They didn't use it for the women's matches. I would be curious to see a more thorough use of these technologies, and how the readings compare to what the tennis insiders "know".
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2207
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Petra Kvitova Press Conference after beating Klara Zakopalova
Quote:
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I think some of us were worried before the match how you're going to handle the heat. It's pretty hot today. But you seemed to come through very well. How did you feel out there?
PETRA KVITOVA:
Yeah, I felt quite well. I mean, it's quite dry here, so that's not the thing what really I hate. I think in Miami it will be much more worse.

Q. Do you have to change sort of the way you approach your workouts or your day or anything when it goes from being sort of mild and temperate to hot like it is now the next few days?
PETRA KVITOVA:
No, I don't think so. I mean, it's the same preparation for every match, so I don't want to change anything because it will be hot enough.
That's something what I can't change.

Q. Since the US Open last year you have been playing very well on outdoor hard courts. Can you say why?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I think last year for me was first time when I played quite well in the US Open Series, and that was something maybe that I used to play on the hard after the grass last season. I mean, it's everything in the time and I need everything to improve.
I didn't like the weather in the America, but how I said already, here it's much more drier so it's better for me.
But I remember Montreal/Cincinnati/New Haven/US Open wasn't that good, but I was quite lucky that I play in the night mostly.
That's something what I really can't change, so maybe that's why I need to be patient for it.

Q. Is it all physical or was there a point where you thought, Well, mentally I know I'm not going to feel well so maybe I'm not going to play my best?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I think that it's both things, because if I am thinking about it too much that's for sure to show in my fitness and my game, too.

Q. You went and won Wimbledon and got a lot of attention, and it seems like now more recently you're kind of flying under the radar maybe with less attention. Do you prefer that, or do you kind of miss getting...
PETRA KVITOVA:
Well, I'm quite missing big titles. (Laughter.) I think it was better to have it. But, I mean, that's everything what I can change and try to still working hard. I know that last season wasn't easy to repeat everything what I did in 2011.
This season it's quite different. I don't have really points to defend this part of the season, so maybe that's why I'm playing a little bit without pressure.
But of course that I'm trying to play every match, and I have a nerves before every match, so that's still same.

Q. You didn't have the big title last year, but you won Fed Cup. So I'm wondering, do you feel like that kind of experience helped you coming into this season, or is there no relation?
PETRA KVITOVA:
Fed Cup it helped me?

Q. Yeah.
PETRA KVITOVA:
I won Fed Cup 2011, too. I think that it's always nice to end, to finish the season with this beautiful trophy with other players, for sure.
I mean, for me, it's always great to play Fed Cup. I had one great match against Jankovic, but then I didn't feel well, I mean, in few days after or few weeks after the Fed Cup final in Prague. I mean, it didn't show that I was confident for to do Fed Cup first in Australia. I don't think that it's help me a lot.

Q. What about for you coming here? You had the upset last year, you lost early, so does it give you that extra boost of confidence now to be into the quarterfinals?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I mean, it was my best result last year when I was in the third round, so that's nice, of course, that I reach quarterfinals right now.
But of course that I didn't want to stop yet. That's nice to be still in the draw before the Miami, for sure.

Q. You have talked a lot about how important consistency is for you, so what do you do to keep yourself consistent week to week?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I have the thinking about every match that someone on the other side who keep every ball and playing really great, what the players did or do every match. I think that it's still keeping me focused for every point and for every player.
That's also that we are practicing for my physical side and technical, so that's why I can play more rallies and I don't have to risk a lot of points.

Q. So there were times when you were playing lower players when you weren't able to focus as much maybe because you thought, I should win this?
PETRA KVITOVA:
I think that I had some matches like this, how you said. That's something what I need to improve and be focusing for 100% always.

Q. You're in the quarterfinals now; do you think you're ready to win this tournament?
PETRA KVITOVA:
Not yet. (Smiling.)
I mean, I know that next match will be tough if Agnieszka or Maria win. Doesn't matter, it's both great players, and I hope that I will be prepared for tomorrow. That's my priority right now.

Q. The surface here is a bit slow, no? But the weather is hot and the balls maybe are lighter. Does it suit you? Is it fast in some ways and slow in others?
PETRA KVITOVA:
It's never suits me here. (Smiling.)

This first year what I'm playing quite well, and I need some time to used to play. And how you said, it's quite slow and the balls, I feel like sometimes it's flying too much and sometimes not.
So that's really weird for me. And of course if it's bouncing quite high and sometimes it's like very slide.
I feel like every shot it's a little bit different as on the clay, so I need to be really focused every point.

Treachery is a virus
ShiftyFella is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #2208
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Out 1st match in Miami
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2209
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Petra Kvitova Press Conference after beating Klara Zakopalova
Why do I get the feeling that the hacks asking these questions are reading her sub-forum coz these are typical rants that Ex has on regular basis in here....
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #2210
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Am going to close the desert thread after that crappy,disappointing ending in IW;if anyone gets any ideas for a thread title that could inspire Petra in Miami and onward,please bring 'em on and get us started on the road eastward

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #2211
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Am going to close the desert thread after that crappy,disappointing ending in IW;if anyone gets any ideas for a thread title that could inspire Petra in Miami and onward,please bring 'em on and get us started on the road eastward
it has to have Gators and Timmy The Great somewhere in it

Treachery is a virus
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2212
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it has to have Gators and Timmy The Great somewhere in it
Don't know if they have any alligators in the Ukraine(note that I'm not including IMAGINARY gators that mushroom users 'see' while under the influence),but gators are usually FRESH-water creatures,with only brief excursions,usually accidental,into salt water.Also,the University of Florida is located at least five hours north of Miami,I'd say.Likewise,Tim might vacation in Miami sometimes,but Jacksonville is also in the north,on the opposite side of the state from Miami.

Getting back to tennis,I recall when a Polish friend told me that the Kirilenko family name had roots in the Ukraine.Given that Makiri is a little bit attractive...and that you already felt guilty for betraying Tsurenko...can you account for your whereabouts yesterday?Rumor has it that some weird-looking guy snuck on court with a ballboy's outfit and may have spiked Petra's water bottle before a changeover

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2213
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Someone was watching Shifty's Dubai video

"In the final set against Kirilenko, she alternated winning return games at love effortlessly, and thenwith indifference on her own serve. She must realize that she has to beat the lesser players to get to the best players. Watching the 174 winners that she hit in Dubai demonstrates the preternatural, nearly otherworldly ability that this woman has. It's sad to see what is somewhat of a character flaw diminish her game. At least she's aware of it. Now she has to deal with it or quit."
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2214
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

And another good one from tennis.com:

"Yes! "preternatural, nearly otherworldly ability" really nails it. I remember another Czech player from a million years ago, Hana Mandlikova, with the same huge upside but frustrating all-or-nothing game.
I think when someone has that kind of talent, it's difficult to galvanize at their highest level. "Deal with it or quit?" Hello? She's just 22, and she can hang out around #7 and still make millions and have a decent career--but not realize her true, magnificent potential. Which would be a loss for both her and the tennis world.
I think Kvit's best game is up there with Serena's--the only female player who could've provided us with a great rivalry in women's tennis. Too bad they're so rarely 'on' at the same time.
Watching Aga, Maria, or Vika is so hum-drum by comparison."
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2215
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Don't know if they have any alligators in the Ukraine(note that I'm not including IMAGINARY gators that mushroom users 'see' while under the influence),but gators are usually FRESH-water creatures,with only brief excursions,usually accidental,into salt water.Also,the University of Florida is located at least five hours north of Miami,I'd say.Likewise,Tim might vacation in Miami sometimes,but Jacksonville is also in the north,on the opposite side of the state from Miami.
Petra not Ana, so mentioning South Beach is kinda strange and i don't want her to be near Le King LeBrick, tho maybe i should since he has some good stretch of basketball, Gators will do just fine and Timmy The Great with his inspiring speech and will to win can ignite fire in her

btw, I was in Newark watching flyers embarrass themselves yet again this season, kinda not a good stretch for all of my faves

Treachery is a virus
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #2216
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Talking Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Someone was watching Shifty's Dubai video

"In the final set against Kirilenko, she alternated winning return games at love effortlessly, and thenwith indifference on her own serve. She must realize that she has to beat the lesser players to get to the best players. Watching the 174 winners that she hit in Dubai demonstrates the preternatural, nearly otherworldly ability that this woman has. It's sad to see what is somewhat of a character flaw diminish her game. At least she's aware of it. Now she has to deal with it or quit."

If Petra and her cheap manager had a 'real' coach helping her, this probably wouldn't even need to be mentioned. They'd already have been working on it and getting it solved months or years ago as other GS winners have already done and we would already have seen the results.

Oh well, maybe they'll figure it out in a couple of years.

Losing to a no talent Barbie like Kirilenko.....

Yeah, Cernosek and Kotyza are geniuses!

With these two clowns in her corner, I'll be amazed if she ever wins another GS again.

Last edited by Queen Petra Fan : Mar 14th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2217
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan View Post
If Petra and her cheap manager had a 'real' coach helping her, this probably wouldn't even need to be mentioned. They'd already have been working on it and getting it solved months or years ago as other GS winners have already done and we would already have seen the results.

Oh well, maybe they'll figure it out in a couple of years.

Losing to a no talent Barbie like Kirilenko.....

Yeah, Cernosek and Kotyza are geniuses!

With these two clowns in her corner, I'll be amazed if she ever wins another GS again.
You know what QPF?

I didn't bother to read any articles or re-post on this thread. So I have no idea what Kotyza or Petra said. I'm just tired of the excuses. Enough already.

Nonetheless, I was thinking about this today, even before this thread was even created:

If Cernosenk is such a good Manager/Organizer, as some of our beloved Czech Brethren want us to believe; then answer me this?.....Why is it, Cernosenk knows and has basically acknowledged Kotyza is Petra's needed Babysitter/Friend/Daddy, Nail Polish Shopper, Cheering/Hugging squad on the road. However, he won't get her a real coach, to teach Petra tactical tennis, imbue proper confidence, goals, and overcoming obstacles and challenges--more often, both on and off the court?

Can he at least bring in a specialist, to fix Petra's erratic serve? I'm assuming Kotyza doesn't know, otherwise he would have helped Petra fix it already?

And where's Petra's proper Godmother/GodFather-Wise Ole Advisor type, in a Martina, Novotna, Lendl, Slozil or Mandlikova, that she can confide in; gain confidence and take advice from? Such a joke, when Petra has willing people who would like to help or advise her for free!!

This tells me, Cernosenk is either a complete idiot, and/or he's afraid of bringing in "outsiders".

The people Petra has are just not doing it. And they haven't been 'doing it' on a consistent basis, since the end of the 2011 season (Extraliga, Lucie H. match, Petra Achilles tendon Debacle).

More importantly: He doesn't have to FIRE anyone if Petra allegedly loves them so much. Why not bring in the proper people WHO CAN HELP Petra while Huggy Bear (or who ever) can stay HEAD CHEER LEADER/HUGGER in charge!?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2218
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... the latest HK trend seems to be Kotyza is closing in on Cernosek in the race to become the GTKVOAT (greatest team Kvitty villain of all time).
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2219
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

You guys, I haven't posted in here since she lost, but I assume we have already covered the fact that right after she brought Kotyza out, both times, she would immediately get broken

I mean. Why.
petra

maria
domi • sveta • sam • katia • lena • alla • petko
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #2220
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Petra not Ana, so mentioning South Beach is kinda strange and i don't want her to be near Le King LeBrick, tho maybe i should since he has some good stretch of basketball, Gators will do just fine and Timmy The Great with his inspiring speech and will to win can ignite fire in her

btw, I was in Newark watching flyers embarrass themselves yet again this season, kinda not a good stretch for all of my faves
Am not gonna probe as to why you,or ANYone,would want to be in Newark

If we can speculate/digress for a little,Timmy might be an ideal bf for Petra--compared to other athletes--cuz you wouldn't worry about him running around on her or callously hurting her.He'd probably even warn Petra to not neglect her practicing just to spend time with him