Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign - Page 46 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #676
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
Good grief, more bagels than a Brooklyn deli.
Good one!

In her first eight professional matches, Brie won a total of three games
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #677
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

[quote=networthy;25381122]Good one!

In her first eight professional matches, Brie won a total of three games [/u]

... which ought to have been a clear "sign" telling her to pursue a different profession. We can only hope she owns a chic clothing store, has become a veterinarian, or decided to become a trapeze artist.

Now, back to Mirjana: I was looking at match photos from this year and wondering if she is playing with a new stick.

I can see that it is still a Donnay, but is it not a slightly different model, or am I mistaken?

Apologies in advance if someone has addressed this heretofore.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #678
ajmo!

ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future

Just took a closer look at prpic's career. I remember he had problems with injuries(knee I believe) but he had rather nice career. he was no 16, won ATP title, had GS QF in Australia and France.
In his career he had big win over Edberg when he was #2, also beat Ivanisevic several times, Connors, Muster, Krajicek, Stich.. In doubles won Olympic medal.
As a coach he was training Croatian FC team and also DC team, he was working with Antonio Veic and Ajla Tomljanovic when she was younger..

he's got some experience
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #679
ajmo!

ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future

Interesting to see how win against Lucic almost saved Flipkens's career.
When she beat Mirjana in that close 3 setter she went on to win her first ever WTA title without dropping any set in next 3 matches. Now she's already at #31, she was outside top 100 when she played MLB in that R2 of Quebec.
Today she's pretty close to reaching IW QF and beating Vika.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #680
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

^Yeah, little doubt Prpic is the best thing (coach-wise) to happen to her since she returned. Of course, his experience as player and coach is way more impressive than any of the others she has worked with. We must also expect he knows something about physio, too. Then: Croatian. This is someone surely Mirjana feels can understand her background, struggle, and temperament in ways no one else can. She knows his good history and will want to show him how good she can be. I could think of worse coach/player match-ups.

As for Flipkens, yes, but she is not the only player who seems to have made surges in the rankings after particularly dramatic battles with Mirjana. Seems to me that Zheng Jie, Sorana Cirstea, Aranxta Rus, Barbora Strycova, and some others have made notable results after matches "almost won" by Miki. Now, I would point to Mallory Burdette in that number.

Not saying it's directly related to beating Miki ... But I think it's very interesting.

Hope she gets another suitable draw for Miami, qualifies again, and this time gets the Top 50 win she is ready to get. Every tournament she must look to improve her results and make these girls aware that she is dangerous. And more doubles. Doubles as much as she can. Good for her game and bank account.

No loose 2-6 2-6 matches this season. Please. Very good in that respect so far.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #681
ajmo!

If Mirjana could repeat performance from IW in Miami(R2 fro Q) she would be ranked around 90th in the world. Quite important tournament.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #682
country flag Svizac

Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
If Mirjana could repeat performance from IW in Miami(R2 fro Q) she would be ranked around 90th in the world. Quite important tournament.
I was quite sure 3 wins in Indian Wells (2 in Q + 1st round) would get Mirjana back to Top100, but there's no new WTA list on the official site (http://www.wtatennis.com/singles-rankings). Isn't it supposed to be updated every Monday?
Svizac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #683
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizac View Post
I was quite sure 3 wins in Indian Wells (2 in Q + 1st round) would get Mirjana back to Top100, but there's no new WTA list on the official site (http://www.wtatennis.com/singles-rankings). Isn't it supposed to be updated every Monday?
IW (as well as Miami) is 2 week tournament so new WTA ranking will be updated after it finishes. Just like after grand slam.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #684
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizac View Post
Pretty sure she'll be at # 101 this coming Monday. She had 18 points or something fall off from a $100K in Nassau (a win-by-retirement over Razzano, of all people).

By Monday, I imagine she will be playing in the Miami quallies.

Yes, with her form so solid, I am hopeful she can stay hungry and equal (if not exceed) her nice work at Indian Wells.

It would be grand for her to get back into the Top 100 and stay there!
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #685
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Even though the first two and a half months of the year have been less than stellar for Mirjana, her points total in 2013 through Indian Wells is well ahead of 2012 and especially 2011 and 2010:

2013 ... 129 points
Sydney ... 1
Australian Open ... 5
Midland ... 36
Memphis ... 6
Florianopolis ... 1
Indian Wells ... 80

2012 ... 89 points
Brisbane ... 1
Sydney ... 8
Australian Open ... 40
Midland ... 18
Memphis ... 1
Indian Wells ... 1
Nassau ... 20

2011 ... 33 points
Auckland ... 6
Sydney ... 1
Australian Open ... 5
Indian Wells ... 20
Nassau ... 1

2010 ... 24 points
Plantation ... 8
Lutz ... 8
Rancho Mirage ... 8
Clearwater ... 0
Fort Walton Beach ... 0
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #686
ajmo!

It is more points, but not enough. Difference in tennis she plays is even bigger.
Compared to last year she would need to win around 200 points more until Wimbledon, because with the luck she has when it comes to draws in GS tournaments she could easily draw Serena in R1 and fall in the ranking. She needs to secure herself, and then again she has a lot of space to attack ranking after Wibmledon.
Smart schedule, some challengers is what she needs. Maybe even 25k Jackson, why not. 50 points would be her second best result of the year and she is more than capable of winning 25k. Maybe even 2 in a row, that would already be juicy 100 points.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #687
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

She does have alot of points to defend at Wimbledon, but remember, she got very few points in the Wimbledon warmup tournaments last year. Assuming she stays on a decent course and is in the top 100 by the grass season, she can play the grass warmup events and get some points to helps offset what could be lost from Wimbledon. She also has a fair amount of points to defend in the Clay season, since she qualified at Charleston and won a round and qualified at the Italian Open, and Strasbourg and won a round.

Since all the above have decent fields, you're right in makes sense to play a few challengers to grab some points in case some or all of the above defending points are lost.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #688
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

but, a decent draw at rg could be 100 easy points. she'll need some luck...
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #689
country flag mikireturns

Very key part of the year for her coming up. Hope she chooses wisely.

My thought is that she must find a way to *at least* break "even" in points earned for 2012's Charleston, Rome, Strasbourg performances. Just find a way to break even and/or come close if the draws are as tough as we imagine, and THEN improve in the events where she stunk: Osprey, Cagne sur Mer 100K, and play every other event she can reasonably get into. She needs to play every week she possibly can during the Euro-swing. If she has a great run at one or two events, she can of course rest and fiddle with her schedule. Of course, a win (or two) in Paris is the ultimate goal because it virtually guarantees she can stay afloat for the rest of the year, rankings-wise.

Surely, she has to believe she can improve upon her lackluster grass warm-up efforts no matter what occurs at Wimbledon.

I agree she ought to contest some $25Ks for quick & easy points, but I think we've seen the last of Miki in anything less than $50Ks.

There are many chances to improve and stay afloat, and pray for a winnable FO R1, which would work wonders.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #690
ajmo!

After beating Lucic/Jankovic Petrova and Srebotnik got to final beating easily some even better(on a paper) teams:
QF def. Llagostera/Zheng 61 62
SF: def. Hsieh/Peng 62 62 (they beat Errani/Vinci)