Biographies of Female Tennis Players - Page 76 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1126
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice
Re: Biographies of Female Tennis Players

LEGENDRE, ETHELYN (Ethelyn Legendre)
United States
Born circa 1893/4 (28yo at 13 May 1922)
Married Charles Edward Dunbar in June 1925 (1888-1959).
Sons Charles E. Dunbar, III (1926–1995),[4] and George Bauer Dunbar (born ca. 1928

From New Orleans

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1127
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

LEGGE, ROBYN (Robyn Rhona Legge)
New Zealand
Born 3 December 1950
Married Hunt
[active 1968-1974]

Robyn (and not Robin) represented her nation in the Federation Cup in 1970, 1972, and 1974. Her trip abroad in 1970 also included Wimbledon, her only time at the Championships.

Now goes by the name Robyn Legge-Hunt. Still active in seniors tennis in New Zealand as of 2013, and has been coaching at the Waimairi Club in Canterbury since the 2011 Christchurch earthquake destroyed her 2 tennis centres there.

Her maiden and married names have been inverted. Her son Alistair Hunt, born 11.11.1972, was also a tennis player on the ATP tour.

Sources:

http://www.oldfriends.co.nz/Memories...2879595&page=1
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...tair-Hunt.aspx

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...c6305ea913b3a2

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 2nd, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1128
country flag LKK

LEGH, RUTH (Ruth Isabel Pennington-Legh)
United Kingdom
Born 1871
Died 1952
Married Edward Bluett Winch, 9 February 1899

This is the "Miss P. Legh", who played under both her maiden and married names, becoming Ruth Winch after her marriage. Pennington was not her first name. Herbert Chipp mentions her as "Miss Pennington Legh" in his "Lawn Tennis Recollections" (1898).

From the "Cheshire Observer", 21 January 1899: "The marriage arranged between Edward Bluett Winch, third son of George Winch, Holcombe, Chatham and Ruth Isabel Legh only daughter of the late John Pennington-Legh, Norbury Booths, Knutsford, Cheshire, and Mrs Legh, Gladwyn, Branksome Park, Bournemouth will take place quietly at one o'clock on Thursday the 9th of February at Runstall Church, Tunbridge Wells."

[Thanks to Mark for providing infomration for this biography]

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1129
country flag LKK

LEGORETTA, AURORA (Aurora Legoretta de Medellin)
Mexico
Born 30 June 1918
Died 03 September 2009
Married Diego Medellin Ocadiz, 1945

Dominated Mexican tennis from 1938-1945. Active as late as 1961. A widow of Medellin Ocadiz.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1130
country flag LKK

LEHANE, “JAN” (Janice Patricia Lehane)
Australia
Born 9 July 1941 in Glenfell, NSW, Australia
Married James John O’Neill, 19 February 1966

The first top ten female to have a two-handed backhand

"Her serve was flat and no more than medium-paced, but she was instantly ready to attack her opponent's service return. She played with good concentration, determinedly covering the extra yards across the baseline that the two-handed shot imposed on her. Her double-handed backhand was not played as a solitary king-hit since her longer swinging forehand was equally as good".

Link: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=171477

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1131
country flag LKK

LEMKE, ROMA
Australia (Victoria)
Married Mr Keith Williams in 1950

She played the 1950 Aussie under her maiden name.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1132
country flag LKK

LENDLOVA, OLGA (nee Olga Jenistova)
Czechoslovakia
Born 2 August 1935
Married Jiri Lendl circa 1959

Mother of Czech star Ivan Lendl

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1133
country flag LKK

LENOS, I
Greece

Active in the 1930s. Usually #2 behind Phyllis Xylis

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1134
country flag LKK

LEPOUTRE, ANJA
Netherlands
Born 23 May 1944
Married Piet Hein Ybema

Active in the 1960s.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1135
country flag LKK

LERMITTE, VIOLET (Violet Hilary Lermitte)
United Kingdom
Born 1904 in Richmond, Surrey
Died ????
Married Francis Roy Seppings Cosens on 16 November 1932 in Saint George's Church, Hanover Square, London
[Active 1920s[

Daughter of Henry Rhodes Lermitte, stock exchange clerk (b. Hamilton, Canada) and Augusta Maud Lermitte (née Cottrell; b. London). Paternal grandfather and great-grandfather both born in England.

She does not appear in any main draws at Wimbledon.

Listed as "Violette" in one or two sources. Might have died outside the UK.

[Thanks to Newmark for this biography]

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 25th, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1136
country flag LKK

LEROY, GRACE (nee Grace Arnold Moore)
United States
Born 13 April 1887.
Died after 1947
Married Robert LeRoy (2 Feb 1885-7 September 1946) on 07 June 1911.

She was the child of lawyer/stockbroker Casimer de Rham Moore, who died in 1925, and Harriet Burgess Moore.

Married in her home to Robert LeRoy (Town and Country mentions the wedding). As far as I can tell from the 1920 and 1930 census the couple were childless-and no children are mentioned in Robert's obituary. Robert and her father both went to Columbia University. Casimir was a football star at Columbia, so perhaps Grace inherited some of his athletic ability.

Robert was a star tennis player, especially at the 1904 Olympics in St Loius.

Grace's father left a good sum of money to her and her sister Harriet F Moore. They are mentioned together as owners of a building in October of 1947.

As of yet I have been unable to obtain a date of death for Grace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_LeRoy

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 11th, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1137
country flag LKK

LESTER, PHYLLIS (Phyllis Irene Lester)
Australia (NSW)
Died 1969
Married Alfred R Fox in 1933

First entered the Aussie in 1925

Note spelling NOT “Lestor”.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1138
country flag LKK

LEVI, BARONESS MAUD (nee Maud Rosembaum)
United States/Italy
Born 13 January 1902
Died 3 May 1981
Married (1) Baron Giacomo Giorgio Levi, 1927, divorced, 1934
Married (2) H. Walter Blumenthal, 1935

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1139
country flag LKK

LEVINE, DOROTHY (nee Dorothy Watman)
United States
Born circa 1930
Married (1) Levine
Married (2) Sidney Kohl in 1968

[from the palm Beach Daily news Monday, Nov. 19, 2012]

Former tennis champ entering USTA Midwest Hall of Fame
Dorothy Kohl was 'one of the top U.S. female tennis players in the 1950s.’

By Linda Marx

Dorothy Watman Levine Kohl was 12 years old the first time she lifted a tennis racket.

It was a warm Chicago day in the summer of 1942, and she and three pals were looking for something to do. They gathered rackets and balls and made their way to a public park.

Although Kohl was athletic and played basketball, baseball, volleyball and table tennis, she didn’t have a clue about tennis. One of four siblings, no one in her family played.

“It was during World War II, and I had never played tennis before, but after I watched others at the park in a nice rally, I knew I wanted to learn,” says Kohl, who was born and raised in Chicago and now lives in Palm Beach with her husband Sidney. “Little did I know that tennis would set me on the course of my life.”

After years of practice and perseverance, Kohl became one of the top U.S. female tennis players of the 1950s. She won the national indoor singles and doubles titles in 1954 and 1957. In 1954, she also played Wimbledon and the French Open during a three-month stay in Europe.

In 1953, she was ranked No. 1 in women’s singles in the Chicago District Tennis Association and No. 11 in the U.S. Tennis Association, then called the U.S. Lawn Tennis Association.

In 1947 and 1948, Kohl won the USTA/Midwest Section junior singles championship. And in 1946, she was ranked No. 1 nationally.

She will be recognized Dec. 1 at the Westin Hotel in downtown Indianapolis when she is inducted into the 2012 USTA/Midwest Hall of Fame.

“As one of the top U.S. female tennis players in the 1950s, Dorothy is most deserving of this honor,” says Jonelle Smith, president of the USTA/Midwest Section.

Kohl is “thrilled” about the induction and has written an acceptance speech detailing her early struggles and love for the sport. As a lifelong competitive athlete committed to perfecting her game, this award means a lot.

“When I was struggling with tennis, I was lucky that I had competed in table tennis, which was good for eye and hand coordination, and jumping rope that made me fast on my feet and provided cardio,” she says. “I am so excited about being named to the Hall of Fame. It proves my self-motivation has paid off.”

Kohl remembers trekking to the tennis court every day after school during good weather in Chicago. At the time, there was no indoor facility, so in winter she played on handball courts, longing to be in California where she could play outside year-round.

“It was war time when things were rationed,” she recalls. “I couldn’t even buy tennis shoes, and the balls had no fuzz on them.”

But she made the best of her situation. Eventually, she met a strong player who told her she had the makings of a good player but advised changing her unorthodox swing.

In 1943, she booked a tennis lesson with a pro who changed her grip and taught her the proper forehand and backhand. “That summer, I really improved my game and began playing in local tournaments,” she says.

The next year, she entered the River Forest Tennis Open with kids from all over the country. But she lost in the first round, and felt terrible because the California girls played much better. Then, in 1945, Chicago got an indoor tennis facility, and Kohl was off and swinging. She did well on wood courts and also became a good indoor player.

“I was so committed and longed to be really good,” she says. “So when I played River Forest again, I defeated the girl 11-0 who had originally beat me!”

Kohl played tennis seven days a week, taking a street car to the courts and skipping college. She met her first husband on the tennis court. The had three daughters, Lori, Jana and Lisa.

After her husband died 14 years later, a tennis friend introduced her to Sidney Kohl.

They married in 1968, and she moved to Milwaukee, where he was president and chairman of the board of directors of his family business, Kohl’s food and department stores. They sold the business four years later.

“Sydney had two sons from a previous marriage and adopted my daughters, so while we raised our kids in Milwaukee, I played tennis for fun,” says Kohl.

In 1978, they moved to Palm Beach, where she could play tennis every day. Kohl maintained that pace until last year, when she decided to slow down and stick to fitness workouts with a trainer. She’s also active with yoga, golf and bridge.

Sidney had co-founded Alliant and is now chairman of the board of directors of the Florida corporation.

Together, they have been collecting art since 1970. Eight pieces from their collection of abstract expressionist works, offered for sale Tuesday at Sotheby’s, brought in $101.3 million. Included were works by Jackson Pollock, Franz Kline, Hans Hofmann and Arshile Gorky.

The Kohls support many charities. This season, Kohl and one of her daughters will co-chair the MorseLife event to support the Morse Geriatric Center. And for his work, Sydney recently won a United Way award.

Says Kohl, “Since Palm Beach is our community, we like to give back.”

And when she returns from her induction to the Hall of Fame, Kohl will again thank tennis for gifts with which she’s been blessed.

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 20th, 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1140
country flag LKK

LEWIN, AUDREY
Australia (Vic)

Victorian player of late 1930s. Maid of honor at Connie Coate’s wedding in 1940

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 13th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.