Magda Rurac - One of Romania's Greatest Sports Stars - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM   #16
country flag Neik

Neik is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Magda Rurac - One of Romania's Greatest Sports Stars

Her name as she liked to tell all of us kids was, Magdelena Maria Berescu Rurac. My brother David, this guy Jay and one other person were like her kids. They were the chosen ones who she trained.
Neik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM   #17
country flag NicolaiEgnell

NicolaiEgnell is an unknown quantity at this point

I can assure you that after their divorce in 1966, Vini continued his tennis tours with my mother, Bi Egnell and Vini and Bi had one child; Me. I never did get the opportunity to meet Magda, but my father always spoke highly of her. Vini's birthday is tomorrow and he shall turn 92 this year. He still plays tennis 3 times a week near Santa Barbara, California where he has lived for the last 40, or so, years.

Last edited by NicolaiEgnell : Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Typo
NicolaiEgnell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #18
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaiEgnell View Post
I can assure you that after their divorce in 1966, Vini continued his tennis tours with my mother, Bi Egnell and Vini and Bi had one child; Me. I never did get the opportunity to meet Magda, but my father always spoke highly of her. Vini's birthday is tomorrow and he shall turn 92 this year. He still plays tennis 3 times a week near Santa Barbara, California where he has lived for the last 40, or so, years.

Thanks for that additional information. I'm glad to hear that Vini is alive and well and still playing tennis.

Mark
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We wish your father a happy birthday Nicolai! It's a major accomplishment to live that long-and to be playing tennis too-I can only dream to be so fortunate.

Please drop in and share any memories or stories you may have about your family
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:48 PM   #20
country flag NicolaiEgnell

NicolaiEgnell is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLPOK...e_gdata_player

This might be of interest here, although it is in Romanian.
Enjoy!
NicolaiEgnell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
country flag Neik

Mark

I grew up at Shelter Rock Tennis Club on Long Island. Magda taught tennis there. Her trophies are in glass case when you walk into the club. I met Magda when I was not even a teenager in the 60's. My younger brother David became a protege. He later took lessons at Port Washington Tennis Acadaemy in its hey day. David was the best of the three of us. She was a nice lady. She was a member of the clubs' staff until she died at 75. David and my other brother spoke at her memorial.

Neil
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mark

I grew up at Shelter Rock Tennis Club on Long Island. Magda taught tennis there. Her trophies are in glass case when you walk into the club. I met Magda when I was not even a teenager in the 60's. My younger brother David became a protege. He later took lessons at Port Washington Tennis Acadaemy in its hey day. David was the best of the three of us. She was a nice lady. She was a member of the clubs' staff until she died at 75. David and my other brother spoke at her memorial.

Neil
She sounds like a special lady Neil. You were lucky to get coaching from a champ! I interviewed Pauline Betz about a decade ago-and Pauline recounted some stories abotu Magda being the big cheese in ping pong. I think they even toured together playing table tennis.

Pity the war took away her prime years. Did she ever talk about her past?

Thanks for sharing with us
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #23
country flag Neik

Rollo

She was like a kid. She was fun loving. But she had serious side. My brother David was the star player in the family. She not only played racquet sports, she played soccer (I know because of the way she kicked a tennis ball), she was a golfer and won tournaments. There are so many stories that I heard about her. My Dad who honored her with memorial that was picked up off the wires, tells a great story about her. For years she and the grounds keepers argued over the watering of the har tru courts. So one night he got one of the maintenance guys to water the courts by sprinkler and by hand. Then he took Magda out with keeper and asked them both which court was done by hand and which was watered by sprinkler. That ended the quarrel over watering of the courts.