Australian Players: A to Z - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #91
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Re: Australian Players: A to Z

I'm in two minds as to some of the last list of players, Jimbo. A couple of them I've never heard of and I wonder if some of the more recent ones are significant enough in the scheme of things.

If we take the case of Helen Davis (Mrs Dorricott), I think she only played 1 Australian Open (losing R1 quals) and that was probably her most significant result. I can't remember hearing of her before I googled this morning.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #92
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
I'm in two minds as to some of the last list of players, Jimbo. A couple of them I've never heard of and I wonder if some of the more recent ones are significant enough in the scheme of things.

If we take the case of Helen Davis (Mrs Dorricott), I think she only played 1 Australian Open (losing R1 quals) and that was probably her most significant result. I can't remember hearing of her before I googled this morning.
You are right, many players that I have posted in the last list are minor players, as Helen Davis too.
She won many tournaments, but all minors:
Queensland Hard Court Championship 1984
Caboolture Championship 1982
Far North Queensland Championship 1982
Coops Open Tournament 1984, 1987
Dalby Championship 1987
Port Curtis Championship 1983 and 1984
Gympie Championship 1986
South Queensland Championship 1981, 1982
City of Ipswich Championship 1983
Maroochy Championship 1982, 1984
Redcliffe Championship 1983
Rosebowl Tournament 1983, 1984, 1985
Darling Downs Championships 1981, 1984
Wynnum Championship 1983, 1984, 1987
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #93
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice
Re: A-z

Quote:
Patricia 'Trish' MCCLENAUGHAN
Married R N FAULKNER

Beverley MANCE (VIC)
Married Allan RAE in 1951/52
PATRICIA "Trish" MCCLENAUGHAN
Born 28 August 1945
Married R N Faulkner

BEVERLEY MANCE
Born 16 November 1929
Married Allan Rae in 1951/52
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #94
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

I've added a few names/details but haven't itemised them all here. The 'last modified' date per post gives a clue to those that have been updated. Cheers - GT

PS - for those true history buffs, a summary of a recent Australian Tennis Heritage lunch - http://tennishistory.com.au/2012/08/...etter-q2-2012/

Last edited by GeeTee : Aug 28th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #95
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gee Tee

I found this obit from 2012 on the Kiwi ITF site:

Joyce Rymer (Fitch).

Obituary Joyce Rymer

We are saddened to record the passing of one of our members, Joyce Rymer who died recently after a short illness.

Joyce was a leading Australian tennis player between 1946 and 1951 and became a member of the NZ IC. She was a finalist in the Australian Singles in 1946 and won the doubles that year as well as partnering John Bromwich and reaching the finals four times during the post war period. She was a member of the Last Eight Club.
Joyce retired from tennis in 1951 when she married Aucklander, John Rymer and the couple embarked on their new life in the Anglican ministry. John Rymer, as many of you will know, became Dean of the Auckland and passed away about 8 years ago.

Joyce joined the Parnell Tennis Club, playing Interclub and coaching juniors there. She also helped at the ASB Classic for 20 years in the Ladies’ locker room with Cavell Morgan. She was recognised for her services by Tennis Auckland at the Classic when she retired from the job about 3 years ago.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #96
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Her is her obit from a Kiwi newspaper. Her DOD was 26 July 2012.

http://tributes.smh.com.au/obituarie...85#fbLoggedOut
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #97
country flag GeeTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hi Gee Tee
Hi Rollo
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #98
country flag Sheila Kent

Sheila Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

Orea Moustaka - Mrs Orea Beatty died in Dublin Ireland 20 July 1959
Sheila Kent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #99
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Orea Moustaka - Mrs Orea Beatty died in Dublin Ireland 20 July 1959
Thanks Sheila-welcome to the Blast!
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #100
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Annie LAMB (NSW)

First (1885) NSW Champion
Hello all

Annie Lamb possibility

I may have found some reference to a Frances Annie Lamb (born 23/04/1866, died 01/03/1950) who may be the first NSW champion. France had a brother Edward Allister Lamb (died in the Boer war) who played tennis in Sydney before 1900. I have not found a concrete reference to Frances Lamb playing the game though. Frances married John W Newall in 1896 and they moved to England soon after.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #101
AndrewTas

Quote:
EM MAYNE (VIC)

Likely to have been British-born, this early Victorian and NSW Champion moved to India around 1893 (probably with father, Colonel Mayne, who may have been in the British forces). Played in England in 1906 and entered in Wimbledon but defaulted in R1.
Mayne possibilty

Miss Mayne won many titles in Australia. I found an article just before she left Australia in 1893/ 94 which mentions that she was moving to India to live with her brother, Major Mayne. Looking through some Mayne family history a Richard Charles Graham Mayne was in India during this period. Richard had a sister, Ellen Montgomerie, born in 1861 or 1866 in India (depending on web site) and who had lived in Tasmania with her mother and in other parts of Australia before moving back to India.

Not 100% certain but Ellen Montgomerie Mayne's birth date fits and a EM Mayne did play in England in 1906. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #102
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTas View Post
Hello all

Annie Lamb possibility

I may have found some reference to a Frances Annie Lamb (born 23/04/1866, died 01/03/1950) who may be the first NSW champion. France had a brother Edward Allister Lamb (died in the Boer war) who played tennis in Sydney before 1900. I have not found a concrete reference to Frances Lamb playing the game though. Frances married John W Newall in 1896 and they moved to England soon after.
Hello AndrewTas - I don't have much info, but here are some articles that can be quite interesting, though I don't know if they are about that Annie Lamb who was a tennis player.

The first two are about the wedding of "Míss Frances Annie Lamb, younger daughter of Mr. John de Villiers Lamb, of Maroomba, Chatswood, [North Sydney] and Mr John Lightfoot Newall, of Forest Hall, Ongar, Essex, England", that took place on 28 Oct. 1896. According to both articles "the bride was well-known in Sydney as a most philantropic worker" and was "for many years the hon. secretary of the Thirlmere Home for Consumptives."

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14073340
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/139733276

The last article mentions that Miss Annie Lamb was a honorary secretary of the Thirlmere Home for Consumptives.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13924237

I still don't know if she was that "famous" tennis player, but at least I managed to find that Frances Annie Lamb was also known as "Annie Lamb".

Best regards,
LKK
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #103
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Mayne possibilty

Miss Mayne won many titles in Australia. I found an article just before she left Australia in 1893/ 94 which mentions that she was moving to India to live with her brother, Major Mayne. Looking through some Mayne family history a Richard Charles Graham Mayne was in India during this period. Richard had a sister, Ellen Montgomerie, born in 1861 or 1866 in India (depending on web site) and who had lived in Tasmania with her mother and in other parts of Australia before moving back to India.

Not 100% certain but Ellen Montgomerie Mayne's birth date fits and a EM Mayne did play in England in 1906. Any thoughts?
Ding-ding-ding

It's her!

In Trove there is an artcle about an 1881 Cavalry Ball in Tasmania. It mentions Miss Ellen Mayne and-get this-her costume. Her costume was 'lawn tennis".

It's got to be her for certes. Confusingly there IS another Ellen Mayne (the one born in 1866 in India. Mayne was her married name however, being born a Miss Moffatt.

The other giveaway is that Ellen Montgomerie Mayne (born 1860) went back and forth between India, England, and Australia. There are passenger records to prove it. All of these relate to her.

I will post a redone biography and place it in this thread and the biographical dictionary. If GeeTee comes back and wants to reedit he can-I think he would want us to post it here too.

Actually I will PM him him about this.

Great find Andrew Tas!
Old Mar 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #104
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here is a reworked bio on Miss Mayne. What do you think?

MAYNE, ELLEN (Ellen Montgomerie Mayne)

Australia (Victoria)/United Kingdom
Born 10 October 1860 in Nynere Tal (modern Nainital), India.
Died 10 October 1955 in Shaldon, Devon, England

Daughter of Major Robert Graham Mayne, a British officer serving in India, and Eliza Ann Landale. The Mayne family, of Scottish origin, served in the British army for several generations in India. The death of Ellen’s father in 1865 probably prompted the family to move back to Australia, as Eliza had been born in Tasmania. Ship records indicate they landed in Melbourne in 1875, where Ellen lived for the next 20 years.

Ellen may have started to play tennis as early as 1881. At a cavalry ball that year she appeared in costume described as “lawn tennis.”. At some point in the 1880s she moved to the state of Victoria and from 1886 until late 1893 won the New South Wales and Victorian state title several times over. In fact she either won or was in finalist in those two events every year during that time.

In December of 1893 Ellen moved to India to live with her brother Colonel Mayne. It is uncertain which brother this was exactly, as two of her her brothers were colonels there; Richard Charles Graham Mayne (1852-1939) and George Nesbitt Mayne (1854-1932). She lived in India for the next dozen years before playing in the London Championships of 1906. She entered Wimbledon in 1906 but defaulted in the first round without playing.

An 1911 census shows her residing in Surrey. She would live in England the rest of her life, with a visit to Australia in 1933.

Titles Won
New South Wales in 1887, 1889-1890, and 1893. Victorian Chmps in 1888 and 1891

Finalist
New South Wales in 1888. Victorian Chmps in 1886 and 1892

In sources from her era she was listed as Miss EM Mayne.

[Thanks to Andrew Tas, who discovered her identity].

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=1253
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #105
AndrewTas

Great Bio Rollo. Thanks