Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 63 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #931
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
She wasn't caving to anything, just wanted to try to add to her game. There she was as no.1 and winning many events and she wanted to add some slams to her resume,of course. It's only normal to try improve to do so, how can you consider that a caving? All of the players are trying to improve their games to stay ahead of the competition.
Getting the old game back on the level as it was before could help her although we don't know how that would work out against the top players. IMO, certainly better than what she tried to do in 2012 . With the old game she was not so error-prone and when she went for winners she hit more of 'safe' shots. She's won some tough matches this season by managing to cut down the errors(eg vs Bartoli; Lisicki). This could be a starting point for her she could build on.
I think she changed her game in a way that couldnt be successful. Her opponents attack her forehand, thats her weaker side. To just start getting wild on that side was crazy, and gave her opponents what they needed to beat her. It wasnt the way to improve her game. She had to stay consistent while she was trying to improve, because that is what she does best. She plays defense and attacks when there are openings.

But that was August 2011. Now its well into 2013 and she only reached one SF (a tier 2 with many withdrawals) in 6 tournaments.
Thats not improving. So there's plenty to worry about, if we ever hope to see her in a slam final again, or #1 again.

Not having a coach and not being motivated is a killer combination. She still has to show she's motivated. Has to be more than an early round match
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #932
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She wasn't caving to anything, just wanted to try to add to her game. There she was as no.1 and winning many events and she wanted to add some slams to her resume,of course. It's only normal to try improve to do so, how can you consider that a caving? All of the players are trying to improve their games to stay ahead of the competition.
Getting the old game back on the level as it was before could help her although we don't know how that would work out against the top players. IMO, certainly better than what she tried to do in 2012 . With the old game she was not so error-prone and when she went for winners she hit more of 'safe' shots. She's won some tough matches this season by managing to cut down the errors(eg vs Bartoli; Lisicki). This could be a starting point for her she could build on.
There is a difference between improving by adding to your current game, or improving on your current game than what Caro did though. Caro had things that could be improved in her previous game without just blowing up the game style which is very risky business. What she did tends to be a sort of last resort in panic.

Getting the old game back yes would be an improvement of course. The problem is though her old game was backed by a mental rock mentality. She just believed she would always outlast her opponent. Just look how the Radwanska matchup has changed. 2 years ago it looked like Radwanska who had no belief she was ever going to win, now it's the other way. You can't just instill this confidence back in yourself.

As goldenlox has said many times, the first improvement is Caro has to get to these players in the draw more, in 2012 she wasn't even reaching them more often than not. The next bridge is going to be actually doing damage in these matches though, if anything she looks less likely to win than ever in these matches atm.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #933
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
There is a difference between improving by adding to your current game, or improving on your current game than what Caro did though. Caro had things that could be improved in her previous game without just blowing up the game style which is very risky business. What she did tends to be a sort of last resort in panic.

Getting the old game back yes would be an improvement of course. The problem is though her old game was backed by a mental rock mentality. She just believed she would always outlast her opponent. Just look how the Radwanska matchup has changed. 2 years ago it looked like Radwanska who had no belief she was ever going to win, now it's the other way. You can't just instill this confidence back in yourself.

As goldenlox has said many times, the first improvement is Caro has to get to these players in the draw more, in 2012 she wasn't even reaching them more often than not. The next bridge is going to be actually doing damage in these matches though, if anything she looks less likely to win than ever in these matches atm.
It depends on HOW you try to instill confidence.For example,you've got Ana who constantly regurgitates a lot of B.S. hype about gaining confidence yet she's unwilling to let a professional deal with her obvious psychological problems.

Then you've got the WS;for all of the praise that the two of them are 'naturally',or 'were born',confident,I think that's baloney,too.I'd say that Richard Williams began planting seeds of self-belief in them when they were young girls,and those seeds grew into strong oak trees by the time the WS matured.

To ME,much of Caro's confidence came from good prep work that Piotr did,but now Piotr has run out of answers on how to lift Caro over that Slam-winning hump so,understandably,Caro's confidence has been shaken.I'd say that a top coach,who's helped another player get over a similar hurdle to Caro's,could instill that winning confidence in Caro again

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Am working on a device that would translate cat meows to human languages
bruce goose is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #934
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I think she changed her game in a way that couldnt be successful. Her opponents attack her forehand, thats her weaker side. To just start getting wild on that side was crazy, and gave her opponents what they needed to beat her. It wasnt the way to improve her game. She had to stay consistent while she was trying to improve, because that is what she does best. She plays defense and attacks when there are openings.

But that was August 2011. Now its well into 2013 and she only reached one SF (a tier 2 with many withdrawals) in 6 tournaments.
Thats not improving. So there's plenty to worry about, if we ever hope to see her in a slam final again, or #1 again.

Not having a coach and not being motivated is a killer combination. She still has to show she's motivated. Has to be more than an early round match
I kind of agree with what you've said except for a coach part. Piotr's her coach and she has Adidas support as well. Now they've got a lot of work on their hands, if she does well she has a chance to face Vika for the first time in ages. Let's see how that goes...
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #935
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I kind of agree with what you've said except for a coach part. Piotr's her coach and she has Adidas support as well. Now they've got a lot of work on their hands, if she does well she has a chance to face Vika for the first time in ages. Let's see how that goes...
I agree totally. The last 2 IW champions are scheduled to meet in a QF, just like people are looking forward to a Federer-Nadal QF, I also want to see Caro & Vika meet here

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #936
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

don't take it wrong, but I think that if Caro goes all way to face Vika (same for her), the Dane will have done much more than I hope for by winning a set...since the two reversed their roles as world n°1 Vika has gained the consistence she didn't have when Caro was world n°1...we could say Vika is just a more aggressive version of Caro on some extent now, which means she has all the wind behind her wings, playing the same game just better.

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #937
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

WTA
We will be LIVE from the @BNPParibasOpen in 10 minutes! Sam, Aga, Caro, Maria & Vika. Tune in here: http://www.youtube.com/user/wta?v=Y8NTmQDhqP4 … #BNPPO13

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #938
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
don't take it wrong, but I think that if Caro goes all way to face Vika (same for her), the Dane will have done much more than I hope for by winning a set...since the two reversed their roles as world n°1 Vika has gained the consistence she didn't have when Caro was world n°1...we could say Vika is just a more aggressive version of Caro on some extent now, which means she has all the wind behind her wings, playing the same game just better.
Vika watched as Caroline got to #1 and stayed there. She did things very intelligently. Her coach used to coach Zvonareva, and Likhovtseva and Tu.

The big difference between Caro & Vika is that Vika mentally fights late in majors. Caroline has bad losses to Li and Vera in slam semis. When Vika gets deep in a major, her focus & fight is better than Caroline's was.
Thats probably part of why Caroline dropped so far off the elite.
You have to want it badly & fight for it. You cant fold when you have match point, and you need to motivate yourself.
Thats a big difference in their careers. One of them competes better in big matches
Its still early in both of their careers, but Caroline needs a lot more mental toughness to ever get to where Vika is now

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #939
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

And let's not forget that,despite a statistically poor H2H,Vika has really pushed Serena hard in many of her defeats(even though Ree was in GOAT mode and beating other gals 6-1,6-1),and Vika just made a statement with an impressive win in the Doha final...and she has dominated Masha and Aga in the H2H.In short,she has REASON to believe in herself,and we can see the on-court difference from the choking Vika of the past.Ironically,the one victory over Serena that Caro got was when she was serving more aggressively and going for a few winners...the same change that normally caused erratic play

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #940
country flag goldenlox

Serena is getting older. Its possible Vika will be an alltime great, but she might go thru motivation issues also.
Caroline is still young, and she is going to have to play like Dubai, but even better, especially those last 2 points vs Petra. She has to hang in there mentally.
Since she hasnt walked on court with Vika since IW 2011, this should show what's happened in these 2 years

Old Mar 7th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #941
country flag bruce goose

It's possible that Caro's motivation level is affected by a sense of futility,the belief that she has little or no chance to win a Slam.Personally,I don't consider her such a longshot from a human potential standpoint,but she would need to get at least SOME outside,expert help to make a few changes....The same ol',same ol' won't yield any different results than it has previously

Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #942
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

I think Caroline just needs to take it one step at the time to improve. After a year of ups and downs her game won't get stronger overnight. It looks like she's enjoying playing again and is motivated to catch up with the competition. Indian Wells offers a good opportunity for her to challenge the most consistent players. The position of the underdog can sometimes work in player's favour;she's no longer expected to win so doesn't have as much pressure.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #943
marineblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
It's possible that Caro's motivation level is affected by a sense of futility,the belief that she has little or no chance to win a Slam.Personally,I don't consider her such a longshot from a human potential standpoint,but she would need to get at least SOME outside,expert help to make a few changes....The same ol',same ol' won't yield any different results than it has previously
That's a good conclusion, as this opinion was what she was hearing a lot during her time as a no.1. As far as getting outside advice to me she seems as a conservative person who likes to have her little team around her. After 2012 I think it would be pretty difficult to convince her to try another expert.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #944
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
That's a good conclusion, as this opinion was what she was hearing a lot during her time as a no.1. As far as getting outside advice to me she seems as a conservative person who likes to have her little team around her. After 2012 I think it would be pretty difficult to convince her to try another expert.
I actually respect Caro's conservative nature,but this is one example where she takes it a little too far,IMO,and it almost seems that,with regard to tennis,she's overly dependent on her dad

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #945
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Cornet beats Puig 6-7, 6-2, 6-2 to become Caro's 2R opponent (presumably Saturday). Caro's 4-1 H2H, losing the first match in 2007 and winning the rest in straights. Last match was Copenhagen12, 0 & 3.